Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Eliminating Old Man Smell      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MikeTO12345
Msg: 26
Eliminating Old Man Smell and maintaining dignityPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
What about trying Dr. Bonner's Peppermint soap (or similar) in liquid form?

I think Dr Bronners's Citrus Orange soap works better. I prefer using the liquid because it's a bit stronger with essential oil smell. It works pretty good after a workout when you really smell. It takes a while but you should notice a difference in a few weeks.

If it's due to bad breath you can buy him orabrush, it really helps with the bad smell.

Onions, garlic, soy and other spicy foods can cause bad body odor.

http://voices.yahoo.com/your-body-odor-may-something-more-than-bad-hygiene-263607.html
 ozsealady1
Msg: 28
Eliminating Old Man Smell and maintaining dignity
Posted: 4/6/2014 8:18:33 PM
Just had a plumber pop in and he confirmed that the smell in the toilet is because someone is missing the toilet bowl.
Dad is the only man in the house.

I think my problems are more than just Old Man Smell.
 Paderic
Msg: 29
Eliminating Old Man Smell
Posted: 4/7/2014 12:46:59 PM
Eliminate "old man smell" the same way you eliminate "old woman smell."
 silverfox97027
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2014 11:18:20 PM
You know there's the old lady smell too!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2014 4:26:47 AM
^^^^^^^^^

Worse than old man smell imo.
I hate go into the bathrooms in public after an old woman that has powdered her privates instead of bathing for 4 days.
OMG, it makes you want to vomit.
I cared for an elderly Italian woman ( late 80's) for 3 weeks and she never smelled bad, and only had a full bath on Saturdays.
She had a sit in tub and cleaned other areas everyday and we changed her sheets twice a week.
Clean clothes everyday.
She ate tons of garlic and was on a lot of meds.
Her room was immaculate.

You have to make him do what is necessary and take care of the room, old clothes, etc., make sure he bathes and wears clean clothes.
Maybe he needs some in home hygiene care from someone you hire.

Somebody out there needs the extra money,even if its just 2 hours a day.

That may straighten him up if you tell him you will do something.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/24/2014 11:53:20 AM
I know on CSI they put vics mentholatum gel under their nostrils at the crime scenes where decaying bodies are discovered.

Regarding dad missing the toilet? Have a fly or bee inked on the inside of bowl. He'll aim for the fly/bee:) Works in the public urinals.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2014 3:50:51 PM
^^^^^^^

Have seen little floating toys for boys. 2 funny.
He can't sit down to urinate?
 bucsgirl
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2014 6:25:13 PM
Well I've been around plenty of old ladies and old men (I live in the retirement capital of the US...haha) but I don't think it's that so much as it just is that for some, they're not used to bathing/showering/washing clothes/changing sheets on enough of a regular basis. I know my dear and departed dad grew up during the Great Depression and was a bit of a miser and always trying to save on everything. I don't think it's so much they're not aware of hygiene per se more that they're trying to conserve on resources. What is WORSE is the liberal spritzing of their favorite cologne/perfume/toilet water (how aptly is that named). There's a reason that Hi Karate I'd say Old Spice but they're trying to bring it back...that some colognes aren't around anymore.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/24/2014 6:30:25 PM
Nice to see this thread has be revived.
Am in the process of cleaning his bathroom right now... taking a much needed break.
Have just sprayed everywhere with Orange disinfectant.

I have thought about the fly in the bowl.

So far have been using...

Vicks under my nose and nasal sprays / inhalers whilst in the car and when cleaning collecting his clothing.
New Car smell air freshener.
Asking him many times before we go out whether he wants the first or second shower.
Till he gets so fed up with me he goes and has one.
Invading his room and bathroom and stealing his clothing and towels to be washed.
Changing his sheets and redesigning his bed linen so it is actually tied with elastic to his bed.
He likes the smell of Eucalyptus so have strategically placed small containers or Eucalyptus oil everywhere.

My challenge is that he is my dad and an adult man.
Having his daughter now boss him about is demeaning.
So I try and find ways of doing things that maintain his ego.

Now even had a list on the fridge of things he does right as he has started to complain that I think everything he does is wrong.

The only body odour I have smelt worse is ... yes women.

And I apologise in advance if what I am about to write causes offense.

But the worst body odour I have ever smelt is in a ladies public toilet, on a hot summer day, in a mainly Muslim / Arabic area of Sydney where many ladies are completely covered and all in black.

Before that I thought all that covering could have been a traditionally sensible thing for handling heat.
In the desert and all that.

Nope...
Now I avoid those public toilets.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/24/2014 8:38:59 PM
Peppermint...

Sitting down doesn't work if your Johnson is a stubby and is more horizontal then vertical when seated:)
 daynadaze
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2014 9:11:31 PM
My son figured that out when he was two and had some accidents over the seat. He sat backward, leaning forward, so the stubby was pointed downward.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/24/2014 9:37:27 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

Good stuff, but at my age, I'd rather push the stubby down then face the mirror:)
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2014 2:40:50 PM

Sitting down doesn't work if your Johnson is a stubby

Geez..second laugh of the day.

Eucalyptus is a great idea OP.
Love it, but after peppermint ( of course) and rosemary.
Sounds like you are doing a good job.

I used it myself for years because my sons feet smelled all over the house and into the carpets.BAD
It was a "compromise scent" for the family that everyone could live with.
Lemongrass (another essential oil) is one of the strongest scents to take care of other scents, thats natural and antiseptic
( helps with flying skeeters and gnats too)
The lemongrass takes less to smell lemon-ish, than just lemon oil, but not my fav.
 9Pluto
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2014 11:05:54 PM
I'll post my own anecdote.

Until recently, I took care of my Mom around the clock; she was older than your Dad. Since she was completely immobile, I had two bodies to care for, hers and mine. She basically never smelled bad or questionably odd in the slightest, never any trace of the reputed special "old person smell”, only the faint odor of almond and vanilla liquid body soap which I used, when I didn't use lavender.

I changed her diaper 10-12 per day (urine) on average, and urine was never touching her for more than 15 minutes. I brushed her teeth + used a water pik in her mouth 1/2 hour every night. I water-pikked her teeth after every meal including Biotene and alcohol free antibacterial mouthwash as a percent of the fluid. Baths were *not* frequent. The only source of odor that could develop would be if she had sweat in her underarms, but I eliminated this by relocating the thermostat of the house and combining it with a smart humidistat that compensated for the identical human comfort tracked by a sensor by her pillow.

Cleaned the underarms often anyway, and it was never a concern. Her privates were cleaned every time she urinated, soft mild soap. She pooped once each night with my help, always antibacterial soap cleaned. Her mouth was fresh and she had a beautiful full healthy mouth of teeth anyone half her age would be happy to have. I balanced her diet and gave no special supplements except a vitamin tablet I ground and dissolved in her meals. However, her diet was an advanced liquid formula I had to compute every day since she had no ability to chew and had severe dysphagia. It was balanced to perfection only from the choicest ingredients through the mouth (In Nursing Homes a feeding tube would be obligatory), approximately 25 different foods in precisely measured mixtures each day. One regular ingredient was fresh garlic, always 0.5 to 0.7 oz. (18-20 g) per day. Regarding other supposedly smelly sulfurous Allium veggies, usually there was one of: scallions, onions or leeks, in addition to garlic. It made no difference. Nothing touched her body except fresh cotton, whether she bathed or not. The logistics were complicated but the result was simple. Her total food plus water was 1170 g (less than 5 cups). Her hydration was fine. Urine specific gravity every time I checked, 1.018 to 1.020. Output met kidney minimum.

She never had the slightest old-person scent or anything nasty. Quite to the contrary, the vanilla made her wonderful to be near. Before I started caring for her, she had the same issues as your Dad and smelled: body, clothes, house, everything. I am convinced it was caused only from a drop or two of urine here and there, and perhaps the medication metabolites exuded, though I doubt the latter. I weaned her off all meds, since each one was of questionable utility and there were dietary and therapeutic alternatives to all according to me. I did not and would not supplement with anything beyond the whole foods, and if proteins are too low, whey isolate and soy isolate in an appropriate blend.

My advice is to accept what your Dad wants and make him feel good, to accommodate him at every turn and never let push come to shove. After all is said and done, it is how many more smiles he gets and you already know that. This is hard to see in the rough when we have other expectations for ourselves. Being accepting and sympathetic is the biggest gift you can give, and makes a good care-giver – not simply a family member … and it sounds like you are very sensitive to this. Good luck, Oz.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/3/2014 12:08:38 AM
Thank you Pluto.

You are a saint.
I am not sure I could care for my dad if/when he gets to that stage as well as you have for your mum.

Your mum is very lucky and did a great job in raising you to be the wonderful person that you are.
 Reeder2
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/18/2014 10:26:19 AM
When one applies cologne or after shave, there is no way of knowing how potent the fragrance will be or how long the fragrance will remain. Everyone has different body chemistry. Some things work well for some people and not so well for others.
 Ken_19
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2014 6:12:55 AM
I once worked in a nursing home and therefor know exactly the smell you speak of. Truth is the elderly females there had it too. LoL, I have also detected it on some folks not yet in a nursing home. It is the scent of decay and a signal that the rate of cell loss in the body is now exceeding the rate of replacement with new cells. A true first date killer.

Yes, it also covers their clothes and their bedding.

Temporary fixes include baths or showers with scented body lotion, washing of clothes and bedding with scented fabric softner, etc. Also of course an airing out of the personal spaces where the odor is strongest.

A longer term solution is only available for those who are not infirm. Exercise with healthy diet. Exercise stimulates the body's cell replacement system. In some cases (for want of a better word) the immune system and the cell replacement mechanisms have been allowed to atrophy. Exercise gives them a kick in the pants and sometimes they actually restart. Joe Weider before he died did some experiments with elderly in nursing homes, introduced them to weight training. Spectacular results in some cases. Not all, but some. Nothing like an 80 year old with 6 pack abs. Male and Female. Osteoporosis also reversed. Not mentioned in the Muscle and Fitness report, but I strongly suspect any 'old man/old lady' smell on those individuals also disappeared around the same time the muscles were growing again.
 Strings6
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2014 6:33:40 AM
What do they say "age is just a number" yeah right ! for many age is a sliding into a nightmarish hell of losing everything but your ability to inhale,exhale and excrete....often without warning.....yeah age is great.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2014 4:06:24 PM
Periodically I ask my daughter if I have this "condition". So far she's said no. Of course, I shower twice a day and do laundry once a week.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/23/2014 10:40:27 PM
UserNameHere123...your theories certainly make good sense.
My home has hardwood floors, minimal upholstery, and leather sofas/chairs.

Windows are often completely opened in the autumn, winter, and spring for airing.
Towels and bedding are washed in extremely hot water...I don't care if it wears them prematurely!

Lastly...your suggestion about using a rough washcloth or loofah is a practice I've embraced for decades.
It is shocking to me the number of people who bathe by simply running a slippery bar of soap over their skin!
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/24/2014 7:12:00 AM
If you shower or bathe once a day, even with just a bar of soap or shower gel; you shouldn't stink. I use a loofah but my ex partner never used a wash cloth or scrubbie of any sort and he never smelled of anything other than "clean". And yes, the word is smelled (smelt is a fish).

My 83 year old father smells. For one thing he doesn't shower often enough, every three days or so. He does do spot washes but that doesn't work. His clothes also smell, he doesn't wash them often enough and as he has a septic tank he has switched to a "green" laundry detergent that doesn't get his clothes as clean nor as fresh smelling. The same goes with his bedding and his coats. I've talked to him about this, my sister has talked to him but he doesn't notice it. You get used to your own scent and become oblivious to it. Yet he comments if I wear perfume (he hates perfume). We were on vacation in California two winters ago and I washed his clothes at a laundromat with a box of Tide; no stink. The eco soap stuff is crap.
 Mentisnow
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/30/2014 1:46:53 AM
You could try using a product called OdoBan you can get it at Sam's. My children do all kinds of sports, and they can leave a pretty heavy sweat scent on their clothing, I wash it with regular laundry detergent then I add about 1oz of the OdoBan, and that takes care of the smell.

Around the house I use the diluted OdoBan in a spray bottle, that takes care of any unpleasant scent.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Eliminating Old Man Smell