Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Eliminating Old Man Smell      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mentisnow
Msg: 50
Eliminating Old Man SmellPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
You could try using a product called OdoBan you can get it at Sam's. My children do all kinds of sports, and they can leave a pretty heavy sweat scent on their clothing, I wash it with regular laundry detergent then I add about 1oz of the OdoBan, and that takes care of the smell.

Around the house I use the diluted OdoBan in a spray bottle, that takes care of any unpleasant scent.
 flyingstart
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Eliminating Old Man Smell
Posted: 8/6/2014 10:09:28 PM
I don't think there is a specific smell necessarily. BUT need to keep clean, clean clothes, beddings, etc.
But experience shows older people are getting tired or they cannot do it....or don't have enough energy left for it basically.
 dallasdoer
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2014 5:27:59 PM
You should have him get a complete body MRI because cancer smells like death and when you can smell it, death is not far away.
 HondoGal
Msg: 53
Posted: 9/27/2014 12:28:12 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Interesting observation. I saw an ad on Animalplanet about dogs being able to detect cancer even before a physician can. But how can we avail ourselves of this superior detection system? I’ve only known one doctor who kept a dog in her office and it was not for diagnostic purposes.

This site address the issue:

http://www.dogsdetectcancer.org/dogs-detect-cancer-blog/can-dogs-smell-cancer
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2014 7:09:29 PM
OP, why would an old guy like me want to eliminate the stink of old mannism. That, and chasing kids off my front lawn are the only things that keep me from disappearing altogether.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/5/2014 4:53:51 PM
Doremi --- Wish you were in Sydney.

Love the full beard look.
 petula1908
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/5/2014 5:57:02 PM
As 58 is not really an old man, perhaps he is just not as hygienic as he should be. He may be lying about his age perhaps!! He may have a medical condition or medication is causing that smell. I was often with my 90 year old Dad and never noticed any smell. He showered every day and wore an after shave.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/5/2014 7:23:53 PM
My dad with the smell is 82.
He showers every few days. No soap nor shampoo.

My problem has been solved by finding him somewhere else to live.
Sadly he and my levels of hygiene did not match and any attempts on my part to clean more was met with resistance.
In his opinion I was over zealous and interfering.

Good news he is now settled into his new home and he can live however he chooses.
He is much happier and I am much happier.

Actually he is living out a lifelong dream.
A wonderful outcome for all.
 professora
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2016 5:36:45 AM
Wow--interesting post.

As a nurse and now a nursing instructor, I would guess immaculate hygiene with excellent dentistry would help.

Personally, I bathe twice a day ( am & before bed) and see my DDS every three months.

And I live on a part time teachers salary so its about setting aside $ for the dentist, soap and water.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2016 9:24:45 AM
I'm amazed how few posts in here allude to cleaning carpeting and walls. There are soooooo many houses out there that have carpets that haven't been shampooed since Reagan was President. If the person in question is/was a smoker, or owns cats or dogs, cleaning the carpets and window dressings is incredibly important to clean the air. It really should be done every six months, yet most clean carpets maybe every five years IF they do it at all. Smoke smells linger in wall paints for decades, so a healthy primer and paint cover can do wonders. Cleaning a popcorn ceiling or replacing those 40 year old ceiling tiles - once you examine them up close - you wonder why the hell that wasn't done 20 years ago.
 deetristate
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/1/2016 3:37:12 PM
Shower daily, update your clothes, paint the walls.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2016 9:05:28 PM
I have carpets cleaned every six months, and wash windows and change the window dressings four times a year. I have seen people who have curtains that have literally dry rotted, or are stiff with crud, hanging at their windows. Gross!
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/9/2016 9:18:45 PM
Better to go to her place and save money on maid service...
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2016 11:10:44 PM

I bathe twice a day ( am & before bed)

That's actually not the healthiest thing to do.

http://elitedaily.com/women/in-defense-of-not-showering/915527/

But obviously one wouldn't want to only bathe twice a week which many could get away with, without bringing on potential health problems. That would certainly propagate the old-man smell. I know my grandpa back in the day would only bathe a couple times a week, in a clean house -- but combined with the light use of his old-school cologne, it would help formulate the old-man smell.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2016 10:52:31 AM
I think the technical term is Smegmatosis, Maybe??
 JaiNai2
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/10/2016 9:13:42 AM
If people stink, young or old, it is because of some type of medical condition or lack of good hygiene. I've been around a lot of my peers (folks who are considered old) and I've yet to smell the so called old people smell. Most, like me, bathe or shower everyday. As we get older, we take extra care to look good, smell good (no heavy cologne or perfume that could be masking an unpleasant odor) by using light scents or just going with good smells from soap/body wash, lotions/ or moisturizers.

If there is a natural bad body odor that normal good hygiene doesn't help, and I have heard that some people have that, they should get medical attention. I guess it is possible they may not be aware of how they smell.
 LuvFishes
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/19/2016 1:40:32 AM
Several things come to mind:
Wash your hair brush/combs. Even if you shower, you use dirty, smelly hair brush you put the odor back on you.
Time for spring cleaning. Wash the bedding, start using a mattress cover and wash it . Windows, blinds, ceiling fans. Start using a odor neutralizer spray in your home, closet put in moisture/odor container.
Clothes it's time to find a new detergent. I like Gain Island Fresh, leave a pleasant mild scent. Launder his warerobe.
Exfoliating your skin. As we age, we tend to not pay attention to those details.
New Tooth brush and yes that means scrubbing your tongue. Mouthwash .
Realize some medications as we age give a horrible smell but it also can be a sign of illness.
You say he's 80, as a caregiver you may need to assist in the bathing department every once in a while. Make sure they are getting some fresh air, eating some fruit and vegetables and balancing out their diet. Durable Medical Equipment suppliers have specialized geriatric sprays, pumps to help with other odors of incontinence issues.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/19/2016 10:18:40 AM
I recommend an excellent product called " Geezer B Gone " - it's a spray that keeps em away 24/7 !
 Ouija2025
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/19/2016 11:49:26 AM
of course I read that as geezer boner.
I think a lot of the chemicals in our food make people smell funky
And of couse clothes that have never seen the inside of a washing machine
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/19/2016 11:56:11 AM
^^^^ You must have geezer boner on the brain ?

I hear a dead human smells way worse than any dead animal because of the crap we eat
 Ouija2025
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/19/2016 1:24:08 PM
Prolly better on my brain than other places :/
Some live humans doing a good job smelling up the PLanet
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/19/2016 2:51:51 PM
good advice in here

throw out old rugs and curtains

wash walls and dust

yes old books do get a musty odor

yep get rid of old shoes

replace bathrobe maybe and make sure night clothes are washed regularly

new toothbrush, clean towels

air purifier if you like those or open windows

bad breath could be halitosis

good oral hygiene care

lot of older folks tend to wear the same things again and again

are his jackets and sweaters washable?

when you vacuum also do his lazy boy recliner if he sits in it often
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2016 9:12:33 PM
Leather furniture......does not hold odors.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2016 12:05:55 AM
http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/31/old-person-smell-really-exists-scientists-say/

Try an air purifier with a HEPA filter.
 boatbob2q
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Eliminating Old Man Smell and maintaining dignity
Posted: 9/21/2016 12:36:30 PM
Hey,Im an old man,And I dont stink,BUT,let me tell you about the 21 year old girl,that I had a 1/2 date with, (I was 31 at the time) We never got to the love making part) this woman smelled like she NEVER washed her vagina,(and this was with clothes on) In the restaurant,the smell was so overpowering, the people at the next table moved,to a different one,I honestly thought I was going to puke,I Think I threw a $100 bill( Long time ago,couldve been less than that) on the table,told her to pay for the meal and take a cab home.I never talked to her again,but,periodtically I would hear the guys talking about the stinky skank (and I laughed to myself)
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Eliminating Old Man Smell