Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Being a hippie      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 daynadaze
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Being a hippiePage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Has the post helped you at all in getting men who are interested, to contact you?

I'm not sure how much college you are talking about, if on the undergraduate level studying psychology won't get you very far, so are in graduate studies? Do you plan on being a traveling hippie pirate hooker therapist? I'm curious how that would work, is there a problem with where you can practice...how does that work? Or are you thinking more of working in the field of working in state hospitals and such as a means to pay for your travels, since you could move from place to place hoping to get jobs there? I'm just being nosy.

Are there dating sites that cater to a traveling type of lifestyle? Are you looking for someone who would travel with you, or more like places where interested men would put you up while you are in their area?
 billingsmason
Msg: 27
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/3/2014 10:40:31 AM
No edit on the tablet... search "sephardic jew" to make it easy for those interested in a little history.
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 28
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/3/2014 11:33:49 AM
funny how not knowing what a rainbow girl is makes people sheltered.

Yup. I am sheltered. I have a home.

I have been homeless though. Does that mean I am unsheltered too? Or do I have to know about all the random subcultures in the world to not be sheltered?
 Piratehooker
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/3/2014 11:54:44 AM
Funny... I'm a Sephardic Jew as well (not practicing).... Rainbow family is a collective group of people who share the same beliefs that earth is out home, nature is our mother, etc....
The months that I am on the road I'm looked at as "homeless"... People look at me, see I am covered in dirt, big pack on my back and a dog at my side and I get a nose stuck up at me or a condescending look.
I have plans, goals, aspirations to be a criminal psychologist, but like I said, my process in obtaining that has been a slow moving one... By choice.
I have two jobs when I am home... Both cater (as far as scheduling and leniency) to my periodic transient lifestyle.
Am I looking for a guy to "put me up" on my travels? Absolutely not. The woods are my home when I'm on the road and that's exactly how I want it.
I guess what I am looking for is someone in my hometown who fits the description of what I'm looking for who'd either be willing to travel with me when it's time for me to ramble, or accept the fact that I will be gone for a month at a time every other month, usually without phone signal, so with limited contact.
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 30
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/3/2014 12:03:06 PM
one of my profile pics is with a guy who was traveling with his girl for over a year as you describe. Their sign for asking for money was awesome. I didn't have money, but I had sunscreen, of which they were thankful.

When you believe/act differently than the dominant culture, it will be harder to find a mate. But you are pretty, so it will be easier in that aspect. You could be an ugly, fat dirty travelor. Then you might be in real trouble.
 Princess12524
Msg: 31
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/3/2014 12:10:29 PM

'Doc, it hurts when I do this; and the doctor said 'So, don't do that."

The translation to dating and mating is, if you want someone as a partner who is fine with only being with you "on call", so to speak, but who still gives you the sense that you have a real mate, you will have a much harder time finding someone. Not because there's anything wrong with what you want, rather because mathematically, the number of people like that, is vastly smaller than other kinds of people.

AGREED! Although I do think it is a wee bit selfish to ask someone to be that dichotomous in a relationship...you may have to re-adjust your standards/criteria, or be alone for time being...
 daynadaze
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/3/2014 3:08:22 PM
Thank you for the extra info, it makes it much easier to see what you are seeking. Good luck
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 4:34:38 AM
Yes. Searching on "Rainbow FAMILY," instead of Rainbow GIRL," does bring up the data you were referring to, s now I do know what you are talking about.

You still seem to be making statements and expecting answers anyway, instead of asking questions, but that is the style for some folks.

And yes, with the further description of your personal challenge, I can see that what you want in a mate is going to be tougher to find than what most people your age range want. You still left out significant details, such as whether or not you expect sexual fidelity of yourself or of your mate. Hence what you describe here, which would be some sort of FWB variation, might or might not be easy to find, given your current age.

The biggest problem I see, is that you APPEAR to want the sense that you have a real dedicated mate, and not just a casual fling in each locale you frequent. Finding someone who both cares for you deeply as a person, and doesn't have a problem with you not being around most of the time, is a rarity. They are out there, to be sure, but if you insist on finding one from your relatively small home town, your chances will be mathematically much reduced.

Most of all, I suspect that you are going to find yourself changing emotionally and philosophically about all of this. Not saying you will wake up one day and think Fox News is actual news, or that you will have an epiphany that Vladimir Lenin was the real Second Coming, or anything like that. What makes me confident that you will change, is that you have conflicts between your hungers and your lifestyle, and your age. Everyone who has internal conflicts of any kind, find some way to self adjust, and they change as a result. People in their twenties have the most adjusting to do, because they have so much of their past ways of looking at the world being influenced by their childhood understandings and inevitable misunderstandings of how everything really works.

Good luck, indeed.
 Maleman999
Msg: 34
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 7:00:07 AM

I have two jobs when I am home... Both cater (as far as scheduling and leniency) to my periodic transient lifestyle.

If you're working at two jobs whenever you're in your home town, where would you find time to date a local guy? Do you tell people when you're hitting the road and how long you'll be away, or do you wake up one day and decide it's time to leave or return home? Gee, I can't figure why you would have trouble finding a local guy to date. If you did find someone to date, would you mind if he dated other women during the months while you're away on your journeys, or would you expect him to be loyal to you only and patiently wait until you return from your journey of self discovery every time?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 35
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 7:21:06 AM
This thread has been very educational.
Up until reading it I was unaware of the substantial Rainbow Family movement.
There are apparently thousands throughout the country.

With that said, it might be helpful to travel to a Rainbow Family National event.
If surrounded by 25,000 like-minded people for several weeks, one is likely to encounter a potential partner?
At the very least, perhaps a man willing to ramble to your area of Babylon/Arizona?
 Maleman999
Msg: 36
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 7:29:07 AM
I wonder if the family on Duck Dynasty would qualify as a Rainbow Family, since they somewhat live off the land. It's just a matter of time some Rainbow Family has a reality TV show. It's inevitable. You should try that angle OP. Lots of quick money for being yourself.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 37
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 7:55:28 AM
Would it be possible to be a tiny bit more specific in your profile so that people know about your lifestyle.

Here's what I'm thinking, that someone will read it (even if you're no match for them), they know of someone who lives that lifestyle and would fully understand you. My whole thing about it is that being the earth is home and all that (which is what I already thought was a hippie lifestyle), there is practically no technology involved or access to technology because you mostly stay in unpopulated areas near woods. It's like camping, but for an extended amount of time and then you keep moving camp sites.

He doesn't necessarily have to be a hippie but needs to have an understanding of what that is and accept the fact that this is how to choose to live every other month, or be willing to try it out at least once. It's like everything else and everyone else looking to be accepted for who they are even if they don't share the same philosophy.

I like the idea of the reality show, get started on that, make money while on the road. You'll build a fan base and meet lots of people interested in your lifestyle, even a potential partner. I saw a documentary on (ID or A&E) of a man that does exactly what you do for 3 months out of the year, and is married and his wife understands his need to be in the wilderness for a few months out of the year.

It's admirable that you are caring for your grandmother in these times and are doing all you can to support her in her situation. I certainly wouldn't be doing that for my grandma (she has money), it'd be the first to put her in a nursing home or get her a home health aide and go live my life.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 8:32:45 AM
Ahhhhh...the Rainbow Family...

Out state has had dealings with these folks a few times and its a much different story than you would think.
I think the 1990 (91?..I was in college..) gathering was our first glimpse of them and the park service was really worried that they would do major damage to the land. Much to the pleasure of our Forestry Service they actually left the place in almost better condition than they found it. There were cleanup crews in the site for weeks after they left.
I have seen the pictures and the documentation, which was pretty extensive.

They even hired aftermarket contractors to repair spots of the park to National Forestry Standards.

The biggest complaint was that the state decided to increase the police force, but they were hardly needed.
For a gathering of 20,000 there was very little trouble and they few things noted, the RBF actually paid out of pocket to reimburse the shopkeepers.

As to finding someone in your "flavor" it may be hard in that you have to stay sort of in the general area and make return trips. You may find yourself needing to winter in for a few years while your situation resolves itself.

But maybe there is a nice man out there who will understand. I think making your lifestyle clear on your profile will go a long way towards sorting out the eligible ones.

Good luck in your search.
 _shakti_
Msg: 39
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 12:59:02 PM

I have plans, goals, aspirations to be a criminal psychologist
Wouldn't that entail a certain settling down and being acclimated to a part of society you seem to want to distance yourself from? Make sure to do your research, I suggest even interviewing people in the field, so that you know what you are getting into.

I spent thousands of dollars and years getting educated in a career I now nearly detest. I don't fit within the institution, and seeing what I see hurts me daily. So yeah, from one free spirit to another.. I caution you in your choice of career.

I can relate Op, though I don't think of myself as a hippy. I am seen as one by some. Though I am not nomadic in the slightest, I have been busy raising kids and establishing a career, or.. God only knows where I would be. I do take off on meditation and yoga retreats now that my kids are older though.

It's been difficult for me to find someone who either understands, or has similar interests as me. Some act like they are ok with it, but the reality is far different. Regardless, I do my own thing anyway. It brings me more joy than dating someone who doesn't understand or accept me ever could.

I guess what I am looking for is someone in my hometown who fits the description of what I'm looking for who'd either be willing to travel with me when it's time for me to ramble, or accept the fact that I will be gone for a month at a time every other month, usually without phone signal, so with limited contact.
That's a tall order and you know it. Your best bet is to be open and honest about your needs from the start. For instance, I have a big interest box for a reason- so they are forewarned at a glance. You could load up your profile with some more clues into who you truly are.

Also, just a thought.. maybe you need to get this nomadic stuff out of your system before you are ready to 'settle down'? And as others have said, you may just meet him during one of your excursions. An explanation wouldn't necessarily even be required then, as he'd see you in your most natural state.

That phrase about how life happens when you're making other plans comes to mind.. good luck to you Op
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 2:49:54 PM
I know of these things...hippie, rainbow, intentional community, wwoofing, couch surfing, etc.

I also know of the good and the bad of the idea, and the good and bad of the reality.

Like a lot of things, I suppose, it's a world which very much depends on who you associate with, and what their views and intentions really are. It can be wonderful, but it's something that can easily cause you to become very disillusioned. Sometimes there are some very out of place and undesirable layers to this community.
 Piratehooker
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 4:30:29 PM
Wow I'm astounded by everyone's great feedback!
It's nice to know some people are familiar with the subculture and I appreciate those who weren't taking the time to find out.
I understand I'm trying to get my cake and eat it..... I've been in relationships with men of both worlds.... Either the Babylon or the road.... Neither understand the half of me that isn't part of their world. It's hard being a hybrid.... Even my closest friends in Babylon don't get my road life.
It's just confusing and lonely.... When I first got off the road after 5 years of being on it without a break, I started dating a guy who I knew since middle school. He wouldn't let me talk about the life I JUST stepped away from, saying "I don't want to hear about you being a bum"... So it just instilled in me to keep talk on that part of my life minimal when dating and simply say "I traveled with hippies...." When I'm back on the road and talk about bills and work and life I always hear "just stop if it doesn't make you happy. Why do you feel the need to conform?" Etc.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 42
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 6:08:21 PM
Op, unless your granny needs you to be there every day, go do your thing. How old is she? How much care does she need? Sometimes young folk thing that the 60 yr olds are ancient and must be looked after.

Are you using her as an excuse to not pursue your dreams?

You are 21. Go for it< Whatever IT might be. Good luck, OP
 Walts
Msg: 43
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 7:13:24 PM

It's just confusing and lonely.... When I first got off the road after 5 years of being on it without a break, I started dating a guy who I knew since middle school. He wouldn't let me talk about the life

You're again, still confusing me.

Ask yourself the reasons why you enjoy the "lifestyle" that you do? Now, look around you when you "take a break" from that lifestyle?(why isn't fulltime? why are you considering the job you are?) What kind of people do you see? Now, do you see any possibility of them seeing what you do when you are off on one of your journeys?

You have to be able to understand that the majority of people in today's North American society will give two shiats about the lifestyle that you partake in (albeit part time). It happens to people that decide to take a different fork in the road than the "others". So, you, as individual will have to decide which is more important to you. Your beliefs and lifestyle, along with the "loneliness", or changing yourself so that you won't be "lonely". Again, something many of us have had to face.

And yes, you do want your cake, and eat it to. Just don't look at others for a magic answer on this one. There isn't one.
 Maleman999
Msg: 44
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 7:49:38 PM

I have plans, goals, aspirations to be a criminal psychologist, but like I said, my process in obtaining that has been a slow moving one... By choice.

Add me to the list of confused people. I'm sure you realize that to obtain your profession goal, it's going to take a lot of years of university and hard work, which leaves little, if any, time for playing Little Red Riding Hood. But you're saying it's your choice to take it at a slow pace. So at what age do you plan on achieving that goal? Do you want to be a grad at age 50 or 60? You say you hate cities. Are there any universities in the middle of a forest? You said you were on the road from age 16 to 21. Does that mean you haven't even finished high school? Which leads to the question: How long do you plan on having the wandering hippie lifestyle before trading it in for academia with endless hours of school and bookwork for many years? I don't see how you can have both, other than dressing like a hippie and taking the occasional day trip to the forest.
 ryuoki
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/4/2014 8:56:40 PM
I was a vagabond for quite a bit of time. Finally settled down to one place by almost 24 (started at 17). So I understand some of your inclinations. But many of these people are right, you cannot easily have it both ways. At the very least you cannot do the usual female internet dating thing and expect that guy to find you. Most do searches close to their home area. You will have to take the bull by the horns and find him, and as was stated somewhere prior, he may not even have a computer.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/5/2014 4:53:59 AM
You're so close to the epicenter of everything hippie. If you ever decide to get a BA just head up I-17 to Prescott and enroll at Prescott College for the Liberal Arts and Environment. It is drifter central...well, trust fund drifter. You do have to pay tuition at some point. But you won't find too many people to argue about your lifestyle there and if you happen to trip over a new boyfriend, fantastic. You can live in the woods and likely get credit for it. It's really a wonderful place and if you're at all serious about an education someday, look into it.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/5/2014 7:02:05 AM
With all due respecrt young lady people who truly appreciate nature and the environment would never gather in fragile places by the thousands. The Rainbow Group purposely hides their organizational structure so that they do not have to deal with the consequwences of trashing a place and can just go on partying witht the same old deceitful message. Yeah, you clean it up, but I've seen multiple Rainbow sites that were never even remotely fully rehabilitiated.

There's nothing wrong with being a free spirit but never delude yourself into "thinking" there is no cost for freedom. If you want to truly demonstrate your love of nature vbolunteer for a trail crew, river cleanup, whatever. If you want to really show a love of nature never gather in fragile places by the thousands and party so freakin' hypocritically.
 billingsmason
Msg: 48
Being a hippie
Posted: 4/5/2014 11:57:58 AM
Acually cabin, they hide the "structure" so people won't show up too early.... they only announce the place a week in advance, because other wise it would be several months long. As it is, it's hard to deal with the technical side of thousands meeting up and camping out in a few square miles. Many many folks give their time and money to help out. Yes it is hard on the land. No doubt about it. For some ( college party types, rubberneckers, weekend warriors, ect) it's just a big 4th of july party. For others, it's a way of life.... and a true movement towards the life and environment they wish to see, barter system, kindness, acceptance, freedom, and also a very real moral responsibility.

I don't disagree about the downsides of the gatherings, just wish to point out it's not the collective frame of mind that pollutes. It's certain individuals within the group. Same as with any group. Is there a fix? I don't know.....

Open your home to a large group of friends to eat drink and be merry.... vs put a sign on the lawn for a kegger.

In my experience, the majority of these folks have a higher standard in how they treat the world, if albeit a less organized and functional means of implementation or an actual grasp on the reality of what's required.

Look at how many show up without enough food to eat, or not so much as a roll of tape for first aid....

Maybe this has to do with the ratio of artists/musicians/"spiritual freethinkers" to realists/first responders/supportive roles?
 gtomustang
Msg: 49
ah, now its clear
Posted: 4/5/2014 12:36:44 PM
"I guess what I am looking for is someone in my hometown who fits the description of what I'm looking for who'd either be willing to travel with me when it's time for me to ramble, or accept the fact that I will be gone for a month at a time every other month, usually without phone signal, so with limited contact."

>>>consider that for a second: you want to be the partner who does what they want, when they want. They show up, they leave--with warning, but with little contact. If you've read a bunch of postings here, typically the ones that ask, "is he interested?", you'll notice....a similar behavior. partners who seem interested, but don't seem to stick around. to quote Kevin Cosner in the Bodyguard, their feet fall asleep.

not to knock you, but I know why most people would have a difficult time with someone not so structured or grounded. those people post often about the partner who was here today, gone tomorrow. Yes, you wouldn't leave without warning, but you'd still conduct your life YOUR way. Frankly, I think there'd still be guys willing to accept that from a hawt chick. But, as you know, most of the men you meet are grounded, and those willing to live their life the way you live your's....are. with someone else waiting for them to return. they're already on their schedule, not waiting to learn your's
ah, now its clear
Posted: 4/5/2014 3:05:04 PM
cabin/mason:

Isn't one of the reasons for burning man...it's location...that there is very little environmental impact?

OP:

What I'd suggest is that you explore why you like the one and the other sides of your lifestyle...find out what it is in each that you are really after or appreciating. Then let that show you a whole other possible alternative approach to a lifestyle which might serve both of the why's without conflict.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Being a hippie