Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jo van
Msg: 3
Breakdown of male / females on POF (UK) Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Some people (probably males) will be along soon, to (probably) tell you that there are at least 10 men to every woman, or maybe even 100 .
(Believing this, as I've no doubt that they do, makes them feel better, about not having their verbose, witty, well-constructed missives of undying lust answered, by the many thousands of ungrateful womens they've mail-shotted.)

However.... you can check your area, for yourself:

Perform a search as a man looking for a woman.
Then perform it, as a woman looking for a man.
(- Same age and geographical radius for both, obviously. )
Then compare the numbers found.

It's been a long time since I tried this,
but when I did, in my age-range, and locality (10 mile radius)

As I remember, it was about 1.14 men, to every woman.
-Or about 6 men, to every 5 women.

-Mythbusters.
you heard it here first...

Welcome.
And don't 'take it to heart' if your thread gets deleted, it's been done to death.
Try doing a thread search, for more info.
HTH
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 6
Breakdown of male / females on POF (UK)
Posted: 5/8/2014 6:14:18 AM

I've come to the sad conclusion that nice, serious (wanting a relationship!) people don't get anywhere on POF

Well, I've come to the conclusion that people whose profiles suck ass, often come to that conclusion.
Seriously if you fix your profile up then you can get some great success on here.
I'd suggest you make a post in Profile Reviews forum, if you're the type who can take on constructive criticism that is. If not then you're just wasting your time.

Hint: the genuine women on here are looking for fun, positive, happy and upbeat guys to spend their time with. They are going to see your profile and hit NEXT immediately because you don't offer any of those qualities.

So I went away and created a "female" POF account

If you're going to break the site rules, I wouldn't advertise it on the forums. Not a smart move.
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2014 1:56:39 AM
I've tried doing that and not got very good results. I think the system tries to thwart you from doing this experiment. It seems to remember that you've tried one type of search and when you change the search it comes up with duff info. I tried it first as a male looking for females, no problem, then as a female looking for a male. On the second search I got results from all over the country.

btw simply switching what you are looking for doesn't work because the system remembers from your first search that you are male.
 Jo van
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/14/2014 11:29:54 AM

I've tried doing that and not got very good results. I think the system tries to thwart you from doing this experiment. It seems to remember that you've tried one type of search and when you change the search it comes up with duff info. I tried it first as a male looking for females, no problem, then as a female looking for a male. On the second search I got results from all over the country.

Like I said, it was a long time ago, but I remember having to try various combinations, before I got anything vaguely meaningful.

I seem to remember getting different results when logged-in, to when not, as well.

Try tightening-up the age range, and/or the location.
POF's location algorithm isn't very good, for some reason, I don't think it works on postcodes here...? It occasionally seems to include people from far, far away.
-Which might explain why so many of them looked like Shrek, or his girlfriend.

If you look here:
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts8996180.aspx
You'll see lots of people have posted their different results.

HTH
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2014 4:24:56 PM
Thanks H but am not going to clear my cookies as I need most of them in my daily life on the internet. anyway, POF doesn't use them, it can't do as i don't remember it ever asking me if I was happy with them using them on my computer!

Interesting to see the differences between a search taken without logging in and after logging in. Anyone else care to comment on the differences.

Ooohhhhh and one in the net to boot!
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2014 1:40:49 PM
I think there are sixty three women on this site to every two men. . . Fourteen of those women are looking for other women and six are looking for recreational s exual activity only. . Three are trying to find out what there most recent ex boyfriends are up to and one is pretending to be a man to take the pis s out of gay men. Twelve only log in when they are drunk. Whilst seven come on for a lark when the girls are around. An eighth or less just use the forum. I imagine there is a bit of prostitution but have no figured on that. . And one looks at what local party/events are happening. A further four are fishing for compliments, just wanting their egos massaged. The rest are like the op. Hoping. I cant bare to think noone at all has posted on the uk forum today!
 chrisshrew
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2014 3:29:43 PM
Think there are probably still more men on here than women because men have to be more proactive. Also doubt women do send more messages than men due to first messages generally being sent by men.

However some of the odds that have been mentioned are laughable and have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Although I haven't heard 100-1 before I bet there were some people out there that wouldn't disagree. 5-1, 10-1, 20-1 is very hard to believe especially when you go through several pages of female profiles from your area. Also would have to agree about getting offline asap. That is more easily said than done though.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2014 5:06:37 PM
Stay in the dating pool of POF too long then the break downs will be equally horrific between the sexes
 Jonznice
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2014 7:14:40 AM
The breakdown of males / females on POF (UK) is an irrelevance. (I believe it's roughly a similar number of each!)

The nitty-gritty is not so much regarding numbers of POF-ers but the sort of people who resort to POF...or maybe can't afford or refuse to pay, to endeavour to find a partner elsewhere.

See the thread "You're not my type!"
 Justin_Looking
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2014 3:38:25 PM
lamentably, I think the " Perform a search as a man looking for a woman. Then perform it, as a woman looking for a man. " facility no longer exists

One' s gender is fixed, you can look for Women, or Men. But if a man, the latter search will bring up ONLY other men looking for men.

A sad loss.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >