Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Speed Dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sactownromantic
Msg: 26
Speed DatingPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I almost forgot, most of the women there are looking for a certain type of man....mainly doctors or lawyers...if you know what I mean.
 gtomustang
Msg: 27
Speed Dating
Posted: 6/8/2014 6:53:05 PM
Personally, I'm not a fan of blowing $25 on getting fustrated. i could spend that on tickets to a 3D movie or HotImportNights or some other event where I might talk to someone in line, and have as much luck....and still get a beneficial experience if I don't get a conversation.

$5 or $10, that's different, but the singles events I've been to since 18, were either full of people I wasn't interested in, or people who weren't interested in me, and a few had people confessing they were plants. The first two options, I can do for free at a blues concert for $20, and still enjoy the blues :)

but, i'm also a person wh0 won't pay $100 for a first date--too many women tell me they think they owe something in response. I'd have to know there's an interest. so, there's your example that we're all looking for something different.

If you think $25 is a bit much, my advice is, "practice for free." If you can get people interested in you in a few minutes while standing in line for a concert or any other event where people are already looking to have a good time, the odds of speed dating working for you are good. If you aren't getting much attention...well, speed dating might attract people willing to take what they can get (to put it bluntly), it just hasn't been my experience so far. people want what they want, but maybe that's just around here.
 ohenryx
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Speed Dating
Posted: 6/9/2014 11:32:20 AM

forumfella
most times I can't even open up and be relaxed in the span of a first meet/date, there's no way I could possibly show who I am and what I have to offer in just 7 minutes!

No need to speak, just let your clothes speak for you. Most women can tell within a few decimal places how much you spent on your clothes, especially your shoes.

Which is why I do have to speak, and speak very eloquently, because I don’t spend much on clothes!

gtomustang
speed dating might attract people willing to take what they can get (to put it bluntly), it just hasn't been my experience so far. people want what they want, but maybe that's just around here.

I think that’s pretty much universal. At least it has been in my experience, and reading the forums here only reinforces my belief that no one is willing to “settle”. Funny thing, that. Everyone is encouraged to “never settle”, but at the same time, they are told to be willing to “compromise”. I must be missing something very important, because I really don’t see the difference between “settle” and “compromise”.
 BigDan1085
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Speed Dating
Posted: 6/9/2014 1:27:29 PM
The responses I've gotten so far have been interesting. I thought about trying speed dating in my early twenties but everybody said I was too young for it then and wouldn't meet anyone around my age. I guess that's changed now that I'm closing in on 30. Also thanks ozsealady1 for your advice and for the compliments. They're always good to hear. I'm not very tech savvy which is why most of my pictures are a little dated. I will try and get someone to help me put some more recent photos up. I look mostly the same so not much has changed. Anyways it's been great to hear the advice and feedback from everyone. Keep em coming!
 OpalescentCloud
Msg: 30
Speed Dating
Posted: 6/13/2014 6:25:07 PM
I've thought about going, but unfortunately the location in my city is always way across town from me, so I'm thinking most attendees would be from that general area.

It costs like $29 to go and includes nothing. Drinks are another $8 each, no snacks or anything.

Women always close out early and they don't ever seem to get enough men.

The email ad I get every two weeks contains 'members' who are going and it seems like the same people every time.

Mostly women and I'm thinking from their profiles that come in the email that they would 'take over the event' 😏and root out newer or better looking participants.

Seems the general consensus is it's a waste of cash.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 32
Speed Dating
Posted: 6/22/2014 5:41:52 PM
Hmmm, if my memory serves me correctly, ^^^^^ you are LordByro (OP) from the thread What Am I Doing Wrong/Why the Nonsense......

Wow! You have been busy! Speed dating and then those 13 women you recently went out on dates with. You must be tired......
 ohenryx
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/14/2015 7:13:25 PM
Back in June, I posted in this thread, saying,

If they ever hold a speed dating event for my age group, I will definitely go. Hell, I’ve tried everything else, why not? (smile)

So, finally, I ran across a speed dating event, here in my location (Houston), and for those in their 50’s and 60’s. So naturally, I signed up and went. The cost was $33, which didn’t faze me in the least. Hell, I took a lady to the movies last Sunday night. $32 for two movie tickets (Imax), $19 for a large popcorn and two drinks. Then dinner afterwards, another $45 with tip. Dating is expensive, if you’re broke, stay home.

The people who organized this had two different events, on different sides of the room. On my side, 50’s and 60’s. On the other side of the room, “single professionals 35 to 49”. So I’m going to talk about what I saw on both sides of the room.

On my side, there were supposedly going to be 12 men and 12 women. In actuality, 6 men, 4 women. Which meant every round there were two women sitting alone, not a very auspicious beginning. I had a pleasant 6 minute conversation with each of the 6 women, no complaints about that. But of the 6, only 1 was attractive enough that I would have hit on her in real life. So naturally, I did (after the event), and got summarily rejected. Nothing new there.

Now, the other side of the room was an entirely different story (the 35 to 49 age bracket). There were 9 women, and 3 men. Very lopsided. But what blew my mind, every one of those 9 women were at least a solid 8. And 2 of them were a 10, in anybody’s book. I’m talking drop dead gorgeous, women who could stop traffic on the street. Why in the hell would women who look like that be at a speed dating event? Totally mystifying.

After the event, the older crowd dissipated quickly. But the younger crowd hung around. All three of the men congregated on one side, talking to each other. I’m watching this, thinking to myself, “Jesus H Christ on a crutch, they can’t be homosexual, what in the hell is the matter with them? You’ve got 9 very attractive women, 2 of them drop dead gorgeous, and you’re talking to the other men?”

For you younger men out there, you’ve gotta try this. I am serious. GO!!
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 34
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/14/2015 7:25:16 PM

The cost was $33,

So naturally, I did (after the event), and got summarily rejected.

Ouch.

33.00 for rejection.
I'll stick with the free stuff.

There were 9 women, and 3 men.

All three of the men congregated on one side, talking to each other.

You’ve got 9 very attractive women, 2 of them drop dead gorgeous, and you’re talking to the other men?”

Maybe they were splitting up the "booty"?:
"OK, I'll take the 3 blondes...."
"I got the 3 brunettes..."
 JoeBnD
Msg: 35
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/14/2015 9:52:37 PM
Dating is expensive, if you’re broke, stay home.

Not broke, but my budget is a lot happier. A great new toilet for the second bathroom (just like the one I installed in the master bathroom) is just around the corner.

The cost was $33,

Yep, even happier!

vvvvvvvvvvvvv

It is not the time on the John, but more so the fact that it uses less water and is stronger (I doubt my kid could even plug this thing). Plus, comfort height.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 36
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/14/2015 10:03:53 PM
Thanks for the update Henry, sounds worth checking out, and you're right on the movies being expensive...I usually pass on the whole popcorn and drink, but women can't seem to watch a movie without it.
You're right Joe, sometimes you can have more fun on the John, as long as everything runs smoothly. :D
 Molly Maude
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/15/2015 7:36:42 PM
the only time I tried speed dating was in conjunction with a weekend
seminar on dating (I know! weird, huh?) ... it was held just before the
culmination of the event which was a dance ... there were in the
neighborhood of 120 or so people but I don't know the breakdown ...
I'd guess there were more women than men ... there usually were!

we had these speed dates more at the speed of lightening ... every 3
min. the bell would ring and we'd be on to the next person ... to say it
was a waste of time wouldn't be EXACTLY correct because it was fun!
we were all laughing so much ... I doubt any hearts were won or broken
... but that dance was much more fun than any I'd gone to ...
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 38
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/29/2015 12:30:36 AM

... but that dance was much more fun than any I'd gone to ...

Did you hook up with any dudes to cap off the more-than-fun weekend?

I had a pleasant 6 minute conversation with each of the 6 women, no complaints about that. But of the 6, only 1 was attractive enough that I would have hit on her in real life. So naturally, I did (after the event), and got summarily rejected. Nothing new there.

Well, better than spending $64 for a smile and a kiss and that's it (a date). ;)

Now, the other side of the room was an entirely different story (the 35 to 49 age bracket). There were 9 women, and 3 men. Very lopsided. But what blew my mind, every one of those 9 women were at least a solid 8. And 2 of them were a 10, in anybody’s book. I’m talking drop dead gorgeous, women who could stop traffic on the street. Why in the hell would women who look like that be at a speed dating event? Totally mystifying.

Interesting. I would assume that to go out to those events, one would be more likely to choose than over going to the bar.... so I could see gals going there at that social age, while the guys are thinking the bar's the place to go to. I'll take your advice. I'll go to one of those and put on my rapist wit....!
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 39
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/29/2015 1:18:16 AM
I love these speed dating stories!

"Now, the other side of the room was an entirely different story (the 35 to 49 age bracket). There were 9 women, and 3 men. Very lopsided. But what blew my mind, every one of those 9 women were at least a solid 8. And 2 of them were a 10, in anybody’s book. I’m talking drop dead gorgeous, women who could stop traffic on the street. Why in the hell would women who look like that be at a speed dating event? Totally mystifying."

OK...this is interesting!

Once, looonngg ago when I was briefly single around the age of 30, I went to a singles thing. I screwed up and didnt realize it was for the 45-60ish age bracket. I walked in early, and I saw two...only TWO men sitting alone at tables. One looked like the saddest college professor ever, kinda slumped over, bald, and looking like he'd already been rejected even tho nothing had happened yet.

Of course, I decided to bail. And as I was leaving, here come about 4 really really pretty ladies, laughing, strolling right in there like they owned the place. Probably 40 something. Well dressed, big smiles. Good grief, what a change from the schlumpers in the other room.

Now..these women MAY have been "plants." I went to another singles thing around that time which had almost all men and a few cute ladies walking around..who were a paid part of the event. Singles event hookers! Hahahah paid to kinda mix things up, mill around.

So who knows. I just remember those pretty ladies walkin' thru that door and the HUGE difference in attitude from the men. And if they were indeed at the singles events as actual participants I myself would ask....WHY indeed?

You'd be surprised how incredibly hard it is for alot of women to get men to even talk to them. Even when it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Maybe it's a case of "dating fatigue." Also, I dont do many singles events because they depress me, but I have noticed that some people seem to use singles events AS their social life..not to actually meet people and "not be single anymore" but just to socialize. So, there is no push to snag anyone.

I've looked thru alot of female online profiles and I see so so SO many beautiful women on there I ask the same thing-WHY?? I mean, SHE needs to be on a dating site??? It almost scares me a little. Like..how good looking do you have to BE to get a date?

Or, maybe they're insane. That's another possibility.
 Ainen
Msg: 40
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/29/2015 3:00:34 PM
Visited the FastLife website (POF's speed dating). Events only seem to exist in the largest metro areas (NYC, LA, Chicago). Cost is $35. The age ranges are slightly lower for women than for men. A search on FastLife on the forums shows prices ranging from $10 to $135 with some $80. A video on the website suggests the total cost might be higher because people dress up, resulting in likely dry cleaning bills. As one might guess, there's a cacophony of background noise with a dozen or more conversations.

The speed dating Meetup in my area is not viewable for non members so I don't know what their events cost. All it shows is the number of people signed up so far for future events: one has 4 men and 7 women, one has 3 men and 4 women.

People could "crash" the events by going to the restaurant / bar when it's likely just ended to catch people on the rebound.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 41
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/29/2015 3:06:38 PM

I'll go to one of those and put on my rapist wit....!

That's quite a scary Freudian slip there.

Perhaps you were going for "rapier wit":

"noun-
ability to deliver witty and cutting remarks "
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 42
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/29/2015 3:19:02 PM
I think the people who benefit the most from speed dating are the ones collecting the fee. You could burn thru alot of cash spending $35 a pop, depending on how often you go.

They also have "lock and key" events here. They combine singles groups together so you get a big group going, sometimes over 100. It's usually around $25 or so to go. The idea is that women get a lock, men get a key, so you have to go around and talk to people to "find a fit." Just a reason to get people talking.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 43
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/29/2015 3:56:03 PM

That's quite a scary Freudian slip there.

Oh, no slippage on that one!

Perhaps you were going for "rapier wit":

I think Lloyd Christmas meant that in Dumb & Dumber, which made it funny -- which is why I used it. :)
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 44
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/29/2015 7:23:20 PM
Let's be honest most dates should end after about 8 minutes anyway. My friends and I were planning on going to one of these and spending the $25 for the entertainment value and not much more - kind of like a play in the city, just something different to do before we went out dancing.

Unfortunately there weren't a lot of events in my area and when there were we could never get our schedules to match up so it never happened. I'd still do it though just to say I did - and I'd never expect anything from it except to be part of the experience.
 loveisatemple
Msg: 45
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/30/2015 5:28:32 AM
msg 40
I fail to find " rapist wit" funny. Anyone? Did you laugh?I guess if you subscribe to the kocky funny manual, chapter 4, be an ahole and claim wimmin love abuse, and you avoid the "nice guy" passive aggression. Rape culture isn't amusing. Just recent examples...

Ex-Stanford swimmer accused of raping unconscious woman - SFGate
www.sfgate.com/.../Stanford-athlete-accused-of-raping-unconscious-60442...

A former Stanford University swimmer who raced in the 2012 US Olympic trials has been charged with raping an intoxicated, unconscious woman on the school’s campus.
The San Jose Mercury News reports Brock Allen Turner was charged Tuesday with five felony counts on suspicion of attempted rape and penetration with a foreign object.
“She was lying on the ground unconscious, not moving,” Deputy District Attorney Alaleh Kianerci told the San Francisco Chronicle of the alleged victim, who was not a student at the university.
Prosecutors say the attack happened Jan. 18. Two men riding bikes on campus saw an unconscious woman on the ground with a man on top of her.
Turner ran away, but the two bikers chased him down and held him until police arrived.
Kainerci praised the Good Samaritans and said they acted because what they saw “shocked their conscience.”

By EMMA BOGLER Spectator Senior Staff Writer
April 24, 2014, 12:21pm
After months of advocating for improvements of sexual assault policy, 23 Columbia and Barnard students filed federal complaints against alleged violations of Title IX, Title II, and the Clery Act on Thursday morning.

The allegations in the 100-page complaint included that the University treats survivors and alleged perpetrators unequally, perpetrators are allowed to remain on campus, students are discouraged from reporting sexual assault, LGBTQ students face discrimination in counseling, advising, adjudication, and Greek life, students do not receive accomodations based on mental health disibilities, and sanctions for perpetrators are too lenient.

Cuomo wants ‘yes means yes’ sexual-consent policy at private colleges
Since the summer, a dozen New York colleges have been under federal investigation for their handling of sex-assault cases.
http://nypost.com/2015/01/18/cuomo-wants-yes-means-yes-sexual-consent-policy-at-private-colleges/
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 46
Speed Dating
Posted: 1/31/2015 1:23:01 PM

I fail to find " rapist wit" funny. Anyone? Did you laugh?

Easy there, put down the knife. Yes, many people laughed at that term when it was used in Dumb & Dumber, in the same context, when Lloyd Christmas said that about picking up the girl. The potentially offensive part to it is what gives it most it's humor, like many other jokes that some people can scorn.
 BigDan1085
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Speed Dating
Posted: 5/11/2015 4:56:05 PM
Well just to update things I signed up for a Speed Dating event next Tuesday. I'm looking forward to seeing how things go. I have had a tough time meeting women so meeting a bunch in a short time should be nice. Hopefully I'll make a connection. Wish me luck.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 48
Speed Dating
Posted: 5/18/2015 9:31:55 AM
Well BD, tomorrow is your big day. I have attended 3 of these things in the past. I think they were all about 25 bucks if I remember correctly. A few suggestions.

1] Look them in the eyes without staring of course and be courteous and pleasant to all. Regardless of their level of initial "attractiveness" to you, they all payed to meet men and you will def be surprised by some.

2] Talk about/ask about THEM

3] The ones I attended... There was no time to write anything down you felt was important about them. And if you meet more than 5, it will be hard to keep track of who said what. I would not just go out and purchase one just for a SD event but if I were to go to another one, I would take my little credit card sized MP3 player and record the conversations to make sure I keep everything straight. Your smart/dumb phone can likely record?

For the record, I never wrote anyone's name down at the end of the night but I did meet quite a few very nice ladies.

The biggest drawback to it, IMO is that you know absolutely nothing about them from the get go, other than what they look like. Plus, you don't know how far away they live. Maybe you drove 1/2 hour N. to get there and she drove a 1/2 hour south. Could be way further. These events are pretty rare, so there is no telling how far people might drive to attend one.

Good Luck and be sure and report back.
 gtomustang
Msg: 49
Speed Dating
Posted: 5/18/2015 11:54:19 AM
the key (love those lock and key parties, talk about sexually suggestive) is to talk to the ladies even when the event doesn't force you to. I used to go to some singles' parties that were like high school prom--guys on one side, gals on the other. guys were afraid to go over, since everyone could see 'em get shot down (what else was there to look at?). and what are you really going to talk about with the lady in question, I mean, duh...she knows what your purpose is :)

it does help to have thick skin and brass balls. we shouldn't worry about going to an event designed to get a date and failing to accomplish that. but of course....we do. which shoots the whole purpose down. like being afraid to go to the shoe store, b/c, gosh, what if I don't find a pair that fit?
 Maleman999
Msg: 50
Speed Dating
Posted: 5/18/2015 3:08:48 PM
I haven't been to a speed dating event, so how do steps B to Z work? Step A is getting the opportunity to speak to a few people/prospects. What happens after talking to everyone, and let's say a guy fancies girl #2? Does he ask her out for a real date right away? If she doesn't fancy him and turns him down, can he go to any or all of the other girls he briefly spoke to until he finds someone who will agree to go on a date with him? That sounds like going to a bar and doing the same type of thing.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Speed Dating