Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Over 60, what do you men think about marriage?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ladyc4
Msg: 451
Over 60, what do you men think about marriage?Page 19 of 24    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24)
I think that any people who choose to marry should be well-informed and make their own decisions about how money and assets are handled.
The traditional marriage ceremony has a passage of "With thee, my worldly goods I endow".
And that made perfect sense when marriages were made for money, property, political alliances, to join fiefdoms or farms. It probably still makes sense for young couples who start out with little but their hearts, their brains and their careers to put into the pot.
But when it comes to a marriage between 2 established adults, perhaps that needs to be re-evaluated. And it isn't just about what if there is a divorce. There are other concerns like catastrophic medical bills that may arise, or what if a couple falls in love and they AREN'T equal in socioeconomic status. What if one partners' bad credit score damages the other partners'?(remember many entities regard a married couple as one financial unit).
Marriage done right is a marvelous thing, but when it comes to 2 mature adults who are individually established, I'm not sure we can consider it to be the only game in town.
Cindy O
 ladyc4
Msg: 452
Over 60, what do you men think about marriage?
Posted: 9/24/2014 10:55:36 AM
Feel I need to clarify something;
When I spokeof catastrophic illness,I wasn't speaking of people ending a relationship.
I was speaking of the fact that despite whatever arrangements a couple may make between themselves, when it comes to money and assets, certain powers-that-be considers a married couple as a single financial unit. Therefore
2 mature adults with funds and/or other assets who marry, that all becomes co-mingled as far as taxes, medical bills, qualifying for state or federal assistance with medical bills/longterm care costs.

Yes, of course there are such things as LTC insurance but not everyone can obtain it or afford it.

So any mature couple who considers marriage should make sure they are well-informed about such things before they tie any nuptial knots.
Even co-habiting may pose some risks in certain circumstances. And yes, older folks have used divorce as a financial tool to keep a more healthy spouse from being financially wiped out by the ill spouses' medical costs.
I'm just saying, get the facts. Some entities do not have to and will not honor any verbal or written pre-nups or couples agreements about keeping assets&finances separate when t comes to things like taxes, medical bills,debt.
Cindy O
 dallasdoer
Msg: 453
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2014 5:25:21 PM
To OP, marriage is a contract that cannot be enforced, so why bother with such an absurdity. If you love each other, no paper will keep you apart. If you do but then do not, no paper will keep you together. You will only make money for blood sucking lawyers and what you thought you had could soon be a war of the roses, that ends up a disaster.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 454
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2014 6:29:54 PM
I think men over 60 think about marriage, then 5 minutes later they forgot what they were thinking about.
 calguy14
Msg: 455
Posted: 9/25/2014 7:03:11 PM
I think too many people like to count their assets too often.That gets boring pretty quick.Nobody has to combine bank accounts.In Canada nobody goes broke for medical needs.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 456
Posted: 9/25/2014 7:13:47 PM
^^^^. Don't go bringing up stuff like that with our American neighbours, you will here nothing but - damn Obamacare, no fault divorces and poor me.

Two people should do what suits them and not what suits a church or the government. We're adults.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 457
Posted: 10/2/2014 4:55:49 PM

Some men will look at "marriage" as a burden...just like some women will at our age....for all different reasons.
With some it's all about the "money" issue...some just outright don't like any women...some want to pretend they are still "players" and are going to snag the young one...some are quite content to never marry again....who cares!

No buddies Fool ^^^^^ Very good points !! As I've only been here for a few weeks but after reading the past various opinions & posts from those etc till now, & to the present....imo..is very telling.....& sad jmo ..
For the many Narcissistic, vengeful folks, etc out there.... looking to.....you know what & then some.....buyer beware..
 picmenc
Msg: 458
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2014 9:17:35 AM
Not at this stage of life. Marriage no longer means the same in society. Having a companion to share means a lot more as long as you're both on the same page.
 calguy14
Msg: 459
Posted: 10/9/2014 10:07:42 AM
^^^^^ .You might have to marry a good one,a motivated attractive woman with a smartphone is something to be reckoned with.:)
 grover14
Msg: 460
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2014 9:45:02 AM
Not likely to marry again, assets, benefits, etc. I guess if I found the proverbial soulmate, I would consider it. Mt last 2 relationships ended because of mental illness, and it took quite some time to see it. I think if I was with that special gal for a couple of years, then maybe marriage would be considered.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 461
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2014 8:23:32 PM
Why buy the cow when the milk is free ;)
 Maleman999
Msg: 462
Posted: 11/5/2014 10:26:00 PM

Why buy the cow when the milk is free ;)

Because I might want steak, hamburger, and roast beef.
 cooldog65
Msg: 463
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2014 10:50:10 PM
Because I might want steak, hamburger, and roast beef.

After 60, it may start to look like sliced roast beef down there.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 464
Posted: 11/5/2014 11:48:40 PM
Cooldog65...jeez, you are very BAD! LOL.
 calguy14
Msg: 465
Posted: 11/6/2014 5:42:09 AM
@Tumuchfun

Because you don't want to share the milk.Or like getting mixed up with other guys,however one wants to state it.:)
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 466
Posted: 11/6/2014 6:48:04 AM
Why buy the pig just to get a little sausage.

In my opinion, a relationship is what the two people IN the relationship deem what works for them. I'm not opposed to marriage but my personal preference is that I would be more than content with a committed relationship where we live together. Some people are of the opinion that to live together, have sex, etc., you need a ring on it.

If what a person wants in a relationship is solely based on the past in a negative way - I don't want you because I don't want my future based on your past. Be up front about what you want and then get what you want. Don't be foolish and thing that you might change someone's mind down the road.
 cnewjr
Msg: 467
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2014 6:20:54 AM
" HELLO"
I have been a widower, for almost 5 years now,
I am ready for a long and lasting relationship,
and to answer You question, I am readdy for marriage
I an so tired of being alone,
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 468
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2014 11:11:26 AM
Why buy the pig just to get a little sausage.

For a minute I you were thinking why by the whole pig when all you're craving is a little pork.
 Demidar
Msg: 469
Posted: 11/7/2014 5:54:46 PM
Will be 57 soon . If I was going to get married again , she would have to have a lot of money . I got to get paid to be abused like that :)
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 470
Posted: 11/8/2014 6:58:26 AM
I often wonder how the "still bitter offer all these years" folks actually act on a date. Is it a 1 hour b!tch fest while sharing a drink or coffee? Will they ever trust again? Will they let the past totally cloud their future until the day they die? Will they blame the entire opposite sex for being screwed over? Will they ever admit that they had a part in the failure of their past relationship? When I see the rantings/comments of a few on here, I know exactly why their partner left... I would have found love in someone else's arms too.

As to marriage...find what works for you.
 Demidar
Msg: 471
Posted: 11/8/2014 8:39:29 AM
So sorry to break your little victim bubble , I have no bitterness , I am just not naive any longer and fully understand just what women are capable of . I have to keep that in my mind whenever I am dealing with them in any capacity . It is called protecting one's self against further predation .
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 472
Posted: 11/8/2014 10:49:54 AM
So we have a whole lot of bitter men and women out there. There are many of both genders that look at themselves as victims. I just don't want to meet any of them...both genders.

And you ooze bitterness/anger and always have. Do you think you will ever trust again? I doubt it.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 473
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2014 1:42:27 PM
Marriage fascinates me, I can watch married people all day.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 474
Posted: 11/8/2014 2:49:39 PM
I often wonder how the "still bitter offer all these years" folks actually act on a date. Is it a 1 hour b!tch fest while sharing a drink or coffee?

I would guess that it would be like any other date since despite being bitter, they likely still hold a faint glimmer of hope. But you will be under full scrutiny.

Will they ever trust again?

Not for quite some time, if ever. I am finding trust to be more of a hindrance in nearly all aspects of life. For example, I trusted that the medical professionals taking care of me the last 3 days would do their jobs correctly. Instead, I spent the first 16 hours of having an NG tube down my nose that was totally nonfunctional because they had reversed the vacuum connections which fouled the canister's check valve. Totally annoying to have that very uncomfortable tube there doing absolutely nothing and to be the one to actually notice it. Luckily, my partial blockage cleared on its own without extending my stay.

Will they let the past totally cloud their future until the day they die?

Absolutely!!! I learn from my mistakes.

Will they blame the entire opposite sex for being screwed over?

The entire opposite sex? No. But we will notice predominate patterns of undesirable behavior more readily, as well as learn to read between the lines much better.

Will they ever admit that they had a part in the failure of their past relationship?

Yep, already have. But I do notice that when pointing out the fault of my ex, many blindly jump to her defense (maybe not so much here) because, well, it is always the man's fault.

When I see the rantings/comments of a few on here, I know exactly why their partner left... I would have found love in someone else's arms too.

Tongue......................... bleeding.........
 Like2dance
Msg: 475
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2014 7:15:21 PM
After being single for some time now it feels to me like married people live on another planet. Their life experiences are so different than mine. It seems I have the best of both worlds, a variety of female companionship whenever I want or need it and total independence from the demands of a spouse. Why buy one cow when I can get milk from a variety of cows, Jersey, Guernsey or ???
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Over 60, what do you men think about marriage?