Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Over 60, what do you men think about marriage?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 476
Over 60, what do you men think about marriage?Page 20 of 24    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24)
^^^
Agreed.

As long as I continue be a gentleman and be generous with my dates, I have no problem having fun.

That being said? I'd love to fine that one gal that I want to have fun with the rest of my life :)
 Maleman999
Msg: 477
Over 60, what do you men think about marriage?
Posted: 11/8/2014 8:52:02 PM
What I'm wondering about the 60-plus crowd is: do women in that age range expect men who are 60+ to still be as physically fit as a 20 year old pro athlete and still have the looks of a Hollywood sex symbol? And do men expect women who are 60+ to still have the body and sex appeal as a 20-something girl? It seems people here expect that-even from the older crowd, who would dismiss anybody who looks their age and the guy doesn't have abs of steel or the woman without a fully toned, slim body with silky smooth skin that's wrinkle free. And do older women still want a guy who is 60-plus to have the bad boy-don't mess with me or I''ll hit you with may cane or walker-image?

I live not too far from a couple of fitness clubs. I'm not a gym rat, but whenever I drive by those place and see people going in and out of them, in pretty much every case, it's usually people in their 20's or 30's who are going in and out of the fitness clubs with their gym bags. I don't recall ever seeing anybody that looks like they are in their 60's or older, or even in their 50's, going in them with their gym bags slung over their shoulder, all ready for a heavy duty, sweat filled workout. Maybe there are fitness clubs for senior citizens that I don't know about, but I haven't seen any senior citizens, or people who are approaching that age, who look like they are training for the Olympics.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 478
Posted: 11/8/2014 9:02:48 PM
^^^
Funny you mention this.

I met a 60 year old gal that found me very handsome, admitting that she is not attracted to men her age.

Sadly, while she was attractive, and not a gym rat btw, I did not see her as long term compatible for the same reason many women won't date older men. I don't want to be a nurse and a purse in 5 years when she stops working.

I offered her casual/FWB. She reluctantly agreed, but alas, I know better. She wants to be serious and I told her to find someone that wants what she does:(
 petula1908
Msg: 479
Posted: 11/8/2014 9:26:44 PM
Please don't bring God into it all. YOu are in control. That poor me attitude is very self defeating. It is up to you to lift your game and change your attitude about women and life. Anyone can learn how to deal with women etc., if they are really interested. If you are an interesting, positive person you will attract the same. Have to work on yourself and your development. Never too late.
 Like2dance
Msg: 480
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2014 9:27:32 PM
^^^^

Sounds like you met cougar. Hopefully you have developed a satisfactory FWB relationship with her.

I go to a gym in Newport Beach where many of the women are in their 30's through their 50's at the time of day I go there. Some are older, some younger. The women are mostly quite fit, no matter their age. Some are trophy wives. Southern California culture, I imagine.
 petula1908
Msg: 481
Posted: 11/8/2014 9:28:14 PM
Oh yeah, the married people that sit silently all through a meal at a restaurant. That is fascinating.....not. Or bicker and put each other down in public........also not.....
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 482
Posted: 11/8/2014 9:32:44 PM
MSG501...

She's 60 and looking for 45-50.

I wrong 'assumed' she was a cougar and just wanted FWB.

Reflecting on this? I think she wanted someone to support her in a few years when she stopped working.

I wish it were otherwise.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 483
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2014 6:16:09 AM
I drive by those place and see people going in and out of them, in pretty much every case, it's usually people in their 20's or 30's who are going in and out of the fitness clubs with their gym bags. I don't recall ever seeing anybody that looks like they are in their 60's or older, or even in their 50's, going in them with their gym bags slung over their shoulder, all ready for a heavy duty, sweat filled workout.

You're going to the wrong clubs...I see tons of very fit 50/60 year old in "gyms" as for fitness clubs maybe there is a difference.
 DragonBits
Msg: 484
Posted: 11/9/2014 6:52:37 AM

You're going to the wrong clubs...I see tons of very fit 50/60 year old in "gyms" as for fitness clubs maybe there is a difference.

I agree, I see quite a few older people in the gym. LA Fitness, I am guessing 5:1 young Vs older. The time they arrive varies a little with age.

One guy looks a little like Patrick Stewart as Picard, he is about 70 and is always tying to help younger ladies with their exercise. I notice him because he is tall, slim, fit and appears to be a player.

My mother is 87 and goes 3-4 times a week.

IMO La Fitness was mostly a younger crowd, but they bought Bally Total Fitness which was mostly an older crowd, merging the two mixed the two groups.

I am happy with the situation, my life time membership cost $50 a year and I have had it since 1975.
 Maleman999
Msg: 485
Posted: 11/12/2014 9:40:39 AM
On my TV, I use my remote as the TV guide. Since I like certain sports, the first channels I check out are the sports channels. Quite often, what will be on is a poker tournament. Since when are poker players classified as athletes? Does that mean if I take up playing poker, I can "truthfully" say I have an athletic body? Look at my rippling muscles from picking up poker chips and a bottle of beer.
 petula1908
Msg: 486
Posted: 11/12/2014 4:35:35 PM
Could be that as you are the younger man. Clooneystutor she may well be happy to keep you. Also at 65 a lot of people are still quite fit and working. I don't see why she doesn't want FWB, she must realise that you wouldn't be interested in marriage to an older woman, right?? I would be going along for the ride, if I were her...
 ladyc4
Msg: 487
Posted: 11/12/2014 4:43:41 PM

I think she wanted someone to support her in a few years when she stopped working.

Why would she stop working if she had no savings, pension or Social Security?
Yes, perhaps she was looking for more financial security, but that seems to me like you made an awfully quick supposition there.
Or maybe you are just one of those people who feels a need to continually justify/defend being single? Why do you feel this need?
Cindy O
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 488
Posted: 11/12/2014 4:49:32 PM
She's a nice enough woman, but as a lot of women have stated, in a reversed situation, I don't want to be a nurse and a purse later on. I would have been totally ok being a FWB, but she wanted more.

She deserves someone who is on the same page as her.

I do think it's awfully naive for either gender at 60+, to think someone 15 years their junior would be open to marriage.

Just my 2 cents.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 489
Posted: 11/13/2014 2:49:13 PM

I do think it's awfully naive for either gender at 60+, to think someone 15 years their junior would be open to marriage.

My great grandmother at age 72 met and married a man who was 54. She outlived him, as she had outlived her first two husbands, and several of her dozen chirren.

ClooneysTutor
Msg: 490
Posted: 11/13/2014 10:27:44 PM
^^^
That's a beautiful exception and kudos to your mother:)

I'm glad they both found happiness, but I have to wonder, is she rich now? (sorry, couldn't resist the gallows humor)

I guess I'm a gambling man, but rest assured...I also know that I risk being alone while I continue to be 'picky'
 Iam_RFSF2014
Msg: 491
Posted: 11/14/2014 7:38:38 AM

I guess I'm a gambling man, but rest assured...I also know that I risk being alone while I continue to be 'picky'

I am not sure why more folks don't make this choice -- particularly for folks who have struggled through a bad (long term) relationship - surely "it's better to be alone than be with someone and wish you were (alone)?"

Enjoying life and waiting for someone that is a great fit makes a lot of sense IMHO. As long as the emphasis is on the 'Enjoying Life' part.
 DragonBits
Msg: 492
Posted: 11/14/2014 8:48:18 AM
Being alone, what do people really mean by that? How alone is alone? Does it matter how old you are?

Does this mean REALLY alone, or just not having a sexual partner?

1) I have found it to be debilitating to be totally alone, without friends or relatives within a 900 miles. After 3-4 months I will start hitting bars and other venues just to have company. Often I will find company with people I wouldn't normally associate with.

2) I have found being the third wheel with a couple and nothing else for me to do, no one else I know within 1000s of miles, to be awkward and tends to make me envious. The choices are either be with the couple or be a stranger in a strange land. Gives me a lot of incentive to find a woman to spend time with.

3) But living with my mother, having a male friend to spend time with on the weekends, spend some time with my brother and his wife, is enough that I don't feel alone. Don't really care about dating at all.

Then my male friend found someone and eventually got married. Still, being the third wheel is OK as long as it's only a day on the weekend. Only a little annoying in restaurants, camping trips, as long as there are other people/relatives to do things with.

Conclusion.

As we get older, our same age friends die off, children may move out of state, parents aren't around. I wouldn't want to be 60+ and be totally alone.

If you are in good health and live long enough, you have to think about how REALLY alone you will end up being and how tolerant you are of it.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 493
Posted: 11/14/2014 9:03:38 AM
^^^
We're getting uglier every day. I won't be able to hold out too much longer.

I need to market what I have before the clock runs out:)

Seriously, there's this sense that the '2 minute warning' has sounded in life. Sh!t or get off the pot (i.e. settle down or risk being alone forever)
 DragonBits
Msg: 494
Posted: 11/14/2014 9:28:08 AM
^^^

Ya, but we are all getting uglier together, it's all kind of relative as long as you stay within your age group. I wouldn't let uglier worry me, as I didn't start out being a tall dark and hansum man.

For me, the "sh!t or get off the pot" moment comes when you do meet someone that seems nearly perfect, and she feels the same way. What do you do then? FWB, marriage, keep on dating others, etc?
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 495
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2014 9:33:05 AM
My girlfriend and I don't give any value to marriage. Not our thing. Many of our friends are divorced and in now in some type of relationship but not married.

In my part of Canada it's a non issue. 60 % of adults are not married, up from 50% just 12 years-ago. A couple of gay friends got married but
I think that was more of a statement.

All returns to children. It may have been best at one time if mom and dad were married. Today how would anyone even know? I know couples and never really think if they are married or not. They are just 'John and Mary' who live next door. Wouldn't matter a hoot to me either way if neighbours, colleagues, etc are married.
 Maleman999
Msg: 496
Posted: 11/14/2014 3:08:12 PM
Like it was stated in previous pages, getting married/remarried later in life is tricky, because most people have assets and kids. Each is trying to protect their assets from their partner, to make sure their money and assets stay in their bloodline by going to their kids instead of the new spouse. So that, right off the bat, is a barrier in the relationship, on top of the usual problems that come up in a marriage/relationship. It's very rare that people, by the time they reach 60/mid to late 50's, have zero assets and zero kids waiting for an inheritance-where they can start off like their first time around, building a life together from scratch. That's why, if I meet someone I want to have a life with, I would be more inclined to either be in a common-law or FWB relationship-depending on the circumstances.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 497
Posted: 11/17/2014 3:51:16 PM
Apparently Charles Manson is okay with it. Sorry ladies, but it appears that he is taken.
 petula1908
Msg: 498
Posted: 11/17/2014 5:02:18 PM
clooneystutor

"Nice enough woman", damned with faint praise. She doesn't want to be just used occasionally whilst you look for younger or hotter, I imagine. However what makes you think she would want to marry you either, or live off you?? You could be in any state yourself, ill, or even dead, in five years time.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 499
Posted: 11/17/2014 5:23:20 PM
Apparently Charles Manson is okay with it. Sorry ladies, but it appears that he is taken.

^^^^ I just heard that today too !

Yet for the last 40 years in which I heard before ....of those who have been outside the prison & they have been holding vigils 24 [/7 etc to wanting to be this next woman, since the 70's.....

And her parents must be beaming with joy ! ^^^^^
 cbsp14
Msg: 500
Posted: 11/19/2014 9:23:54 AM
God this thread hass gone every which way.

Back to the Subject. I'm 66 year old retiree, I've been married 2 times, and divorced. I don't think that I will ever marry again. My girlfriend feels the same way. She has had 3 marriages. We are planning to move in with each other within the next 6 months. She and I have found out we don't want to be totally alone for the rest of our lives. Also marriage is a way for the government to make us pay more taxes. Marriage is now just a piece of paper. I don't think that living together is the same as friends with benefits, It is after all a relationship, that is committed, us to each other.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Over 60, what do you men think about marriage?