Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Over 60, what do you men think about marriage?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ladyc4
Msg: 501
Over 60, what do you men think about marriage?Page 21 of 24    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24)
cpsp
Although my situation is different from yours I do absolutely get what you are saying and where you are coming from.
Personally, I believe it's even possible to have a committed relationship without residing under the same roof.

And while it may not apply to you, or me, or anybody else reading this NOW, there may come a point in a person't life where the presence of another income in the same household may impact that person's ability to meet required guidelines for some assistance programs, including housing assistance or a mortgage modification. And this is a forum for those over 45, so perhaps being well-informed about these things is a smart idea.
Cindy O
 bikeandrun
Msg: 502
view profile
History
Over 60, what do you men think about marriage?
Posted: 2/10/2015 5:38:02 AM
I'm emotional, Now, I'm happy being single, but who knows. Haven't had a serious relationship in a long time. I have not thought about marriage. I'd have to date at least a year and a half before considering marriage. Living together that's a tough one. Real Catholics don't do that. If I felt I could give my life to someone, then yes, yes, yes.
 calguy14
Msg: 503
Posted: 2/10/2015 6:03:00 AM
Are there any men that have showed up wanting to marry Manson?
 WhoamI_46
Msg: 504
Posted: 2/10/2015 8:07:40 AM
I was married once. The whole ceremony, etc. It was a show. A show to make it ok for us to be a couple in everyone's eyes. that is how it was. Looking back on having the "wedding" but not having the relationship,,, I will not get married again.

Now in saying that, I will have a relationship with a man that wants a relationship. Marriage is something that was given status by religious folks to make everything ok.

I look for someone who would be on the same plate as me. I would want commitment, friendship, loyalty, happiness, and everything that comes from WANTING to be with that person.

A piece of paper is not going to tell me what I want out of a relationship. I think as grown adults and free will, everyone can decide that for themselves and how to live their lives. The government needs to butt out of people's personal lives and let them live it.

And here in Canada, you have to be cohabitating for 1 year before it's recognized in the eyes of the law. (if you really want to go that way)
 Maleman999
Msg: 505
Posted: 2/10/2015 10:27:03 AM

I was married once. The whole ceremony, etc. It was a show. A show to make it ok for us to be a couple in everyone's eyes. that is how it was. Looking back on having the "wedding" but not having the relationship,,, I will not get married again.

Didn't you realize at the time of your first wedding that a wedding ceremony is just a show for a day to entertain other people? Did you really think it would have any effect on your marriage-versus getting married by a justice of the pizza or by Elvis in Vegas? I guess that's when it dawned on you that fairy tales are not real-or has it dawned on you yet, since you still seem bitter by the experience from not having a fairy tale ending?
 WhoamI_46
Msg: 506
Posted: 2/10/2015 1:16:19 PM
Maleman,,,that was over 25 years ago, so I can honestly say, things were different back then. Did I realize it back then?

No, and it isn't the fairy tale I was after since I don't believe in them. I was raised to believe in certain sanctions of life. Getting married was one of them.

To say I am bitter is quite the statement to make. I never expected it to end like a fairy tale, and since you don't know me, I will not go into specifics.

But I can say I am glad to have grown from that phase in my life, and to be able to say what it is I want, and to stick to those beliefs.

I am a much different person now than I was at 21. We all grow and get to experience life as only we can.

Cheers!
 lifeisgrand5
Msg: 507
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2015 2:30:01 AM
Posted: 6/18/2014 416 PM
OP I think you've struck gold here with the overly cynical, negative feedback. I think there are some people here on the forum that love to try to crush people. Here's the antidote:

My father, Mr. Forever Bachelor, whom my mother divorced back in 1972, as been single all these years.

Three summers ago he was contacted by an old flame..from 1975! The timing was not right back then-but in the summer of 2011 when he heard from her again, it changed his life.

I was STUNNED to find my forever alone dad actually fall in love for the first time in his life, and I have NEVER seen him cry until he told me about her and how happy he was. He's like a new man. He moved out of state and completely changed his life to build a new one with her, and now they just finished buying a summer and winter home. And he's going to get married.

My dad is 73. And again, the LAST person I could imagine falling in love and getting married. Talk about a surprise out of the blue. You never know.
**************************************************************************************************************
Thank you, I love happy stories !!!
 lifeisgrand5
Msg: 508
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2015 2:34:48 AM
Not giving my life's work to anyone except my own children.

I talked to my 3 grown up married kids about this. They all said the same thing. They put all their money in one pot, and they would leave all their assets to their spouses when they died. Its pretty normal.

I asked them what about inheriting? Will you feel left out or like I didn't care about your future? They said its YOUR money, Mom. You should be using it to make yourself happy, cause if you wait and leave it to us, that's how we are going to use it. Go for it. If there is any left, that's ok, but we are not expecting it.

I have the best damn kids, I tell you. I did good.
**************************************************************************************************************
My kids said the same thing, Same here I have wonderful kids too. Thumbs up.
 deetristate
Msg: 509
Posted: 2/22/2015 6:22:59 AM
Why should they marry? They get all the benefits of marriage without it.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 510
Posted: 2/22/2015 7:19:26 AM
My wife and I don't give any value to being single. Not our thing. Most all of my friends are married, those that aren't are in long term live in relationships. Most of my family are married, I have a rare cousin or aunt that aren't married.

All returns go to ourselves and our retirement, neither one of us have children. If we do have children, they will ours together. I would raise them to be self reliant and not depend on some inheritance to make their lives better. And by the time their inheritance even becomes a possible issue, I wll be long dead. I will explain that to them, it will help in making them self reliant.

I was married in the past, I was around 39. The wedding cost $20, it was a justice of the peace, no guests, no reception. Our divorce we split our assets, I never hired a lawyer, it was over and done without any drama.

Getting married early in life is very tricky. How can anyone at age 20, or 25 predict how they will change as they mature? Not only that, you have to predict how your spouse will change. After 20,30,40 years, do you still want to live together?

When you marry young, your assets are minimal. Building those assets together over those 20, 30, 40 years means you will HAVE to split them at least 50/50.

Getting married after 60, it's easy to keep your assets you had before marriage if that is what you want.

With all the stories about how crappy dating is, how poor the choices are in dating, why should I have stayed single and risk losing the woman that became my wife?
 Maleman999
Msg: 511
Posted: 2/22/2015 8:22:01 AM
I wonder what the divorce rate is for people who get married in their golden years. You would think it would be a lot lower than for young people, since most people gain wisdom from life experiences and would make a wiser choice when picking another partner. But on the other hand, most people gain assets during their lifetime, and a lot of people want to make sure their partner will never have access to any of their assets and money, and each will pay a portion of the household bills from their separate piles of money, becoming more like roommates. This creates a level of not fully trusting a partner, which is usually bad news in a marriage.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 512
Posted: 2/22/2015 11:14:33 AM

I wonder what the divorce rate is for people who get married in their golden years. You would think it would be a lot lower than for young people, since most people gain wisdom from life experiences and would make a wiser choice when picking another partner.

Generally speaking, the older you are when you get married, the less likely you are to get a divorce.

The higher the level of your education, the less likely you are to get a divorce.

That's just the facts, they don't attempt to explain why, and they don't study those older than 46 since we are invisible.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2013/article/marriage-and-divorce-patterns-by-gender-race-and-educational-attainment.htm
 ALBYAK
Msg: 513
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2015 12:28:56 PM
Think nothing of it at all? Got hurt early on in life by my first real love, and was to old to want kids by the time I fell again so we decided not and were together almost 20 years. One more even close to that will take me out of here a happy man! Marriage is for the kids, not necessary for two loving adults.
 petula1908
Msg: 514
Posted: 2/22/2015 3:10:24 PM
Life is grand5

How old is his lady love? Of course being able to afford to build two homes and probably pooling their assets, makes for an enjoyable and comfortable life. As for falling in love when elderly? I would not have thought it was really possible but there you are. But he probably carried a torch for her all his life and it has been rekindled.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 515
Posted: 2/22/2015 3:34:02 PM

petula1908:
Life is grand5

How old is his lady love? Of course being able to afford to build two homes and probably pooling their assets, makes for an enjoyable and comfortable life. As for falling in love when elderly? I would not have thought it was really possible but there you are. But he probably carried a torch for her all his life and it has been rekindled.

LiG5 won't be able to answer that, because Her Post is Quoting a Post from Page one of the Thread...... Look at Post #13 on Page #1...... It's the Funky Formatting of this antiquated Forum Software & People not knowing how to or Using the proper Quote Function.......

Posted By:VolcanoKing on 6/18/2014 416 PM
......snip..............
My dad is 73. And again, the LAST person I could imagine falling in love and getting married. Talk about a surprise out of the blue. You never know.
 tgif111
Msg: 516
Posted: 2/26/2015 10:32:42 PM
financially it doesn't make any sense to get married after you're 60.

you become mired in legal and monetary entanglements.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 517
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2015 10:51:38 AM
Unfortunately, increasingly it matters not whether you get married. The financial and legal entanglements happen if you just live together for more than a month or so, whether or not you so wish. And, the financial consequences are severe for the one with the most money or assets. Oddly, the only safe route is to live close but at different addresses, and just enjoy steady dating.
 Demidar
Msg: 518
Posted: 2/27/2015 12:45:41 PM
Doesn't matter what age a man is , getting married is just a real bad legal deal for men . Men should boycott marriage until they un corrupt the divorce and family court systems . and make laws fair so both sides are treated equally . The laws are very biased against men and until they are made fair , men should boycott marriage at any age .
 Maleman999
Msg: 519
Posted: 2/27/2015 1:25:11 PM
Marriage over 60 is fine-for other people. I'll go as a spectator, and see how old fogies decorate their walkers and canes with flowers and ribbons, and see who is getting dementia, by seeing if they remember why they are there.
 petula1908
Msg: 520
Posted: 2/27/2015 10:22:08 PM
My great grandmother at 50 married a guy who was 28. She also far outlived him. Never say never. I am sure she did not want to be kept or supported by him and indeed had her own house and assets.
Maybe Clooneys older woman was poor and without assets of any kind.

Just as an aside, in Australia the de facto laws state that the couple has to be together for two years before any assets can be divided up. Not 3 months as has been stated. That would be a ludicrous state of affairs. Even two years is a joke.
 JUDGE_Men_TAL
Msg: 521
Posted: 3/2/2015 7:33:16 AM
Tough questions for men. What did you expect?
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 522
Posted: 3/2/2015 4:49:10 PM
I heard its bad for most men.. While a few embrace the married life.
Other barely manage to escape with no more then the cloths on there backs and some die while attempting to escape.
Those are the stories I heard, Never fell into one my self.. Been told its a good thing as I might have ruined a woman life.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 523
Posted: 3/2/2015 6:54:22 PM

What did you expect?

A little longer for an encore?
 kj521
Msg: 524
Posted: 3/3/2015 1:40:40 AM
^^^^^^Funny!

Tell you what I expected.....an entrance with more panache.

Can you go back out and try again, Tall?

I just love dramatic entrances....or....exits....for that matter.

May as well tell us what's on your mind before you go.

Pssst.....try to be creative. :)
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 525
Posted: 3/3/2015 2:20:19 AM
And after patiently waiting 36 hrs. for the opportunity to post......that was it?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Over 60, what do you men think about marriage?