Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why are so many people disillusioned with relationships?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Your_Move
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Why are so many people disillusioned with relationships?Page 5 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)

I mean how wonderful is is to be able to chase the sun? You can watch the sunrise on one coast..... drive three hours....grab a margarita and say adieu on the west coast. Talk about a memorable first date...... :)

That IS pretty awesome -- Even easier to do on Cape Cod, Martha's Vinyard or Nantucket! :)
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 102
Why are so many people disillusioned with relationships?
Posted: 8/1/2014 8:39:25 PM

The sunshine state is not for eveyone! But I think living here has certainly contributed to my romantic and positive nature!

At the end of the day... At least it's not Pennsylvania or California.
 Etritonakin
Msg: 103
Posted: 8/1/2014 9:03:30 PM
I think we may have utterly discouraged VolcanoKing :(
 easterparadehat
Msg: 104
Posted: 8/1/2014 9:20:48 PM
Actually Pennsylvania is a very picturesque state with much history. I'm glad I live here compared to all the other states up here.
 DragonBits
Msg: 105
Posted: 8/1/2014 9:28:45 PM
etritonakin
Did you think he was telling you not to bother him while he was playing golf?

Ladyinred4755
5 min ago a man leaves me a first message. As I'm online, I immediately responded. He provides, immediate, although very short replies. His last reply? "Right now I'm trying to golf". ..............LMAO, sheesh!Ok I had no idea!

Well, you see the man texted Ladyinred4755 while he was golfing. He decided to send her a first TEXT during his golf game. She responded immediately, after several very short exchanges he admits he is distracted because he tried to text while playing golf.

My guess is the man sent the text and didn't expect a reply for a long time, so he wasn't ready to actually TEXT back and forth.

Texting is kind of like talking on the phone except you are typing, it's back and forth. If he wanted to send her a quick MSG he should have used email.

He used a near synchronous communication form where there is a sense of a live imminent connection when he should have used a asynchronous communication form.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 106
Posted: 8/1/2014 10:31:55 PM
^^^^^^ I use my laptop to log on to POF, to check for messages in my inbox. I have no idea what device someone uses to send me a message. I was online, saw the message and politely replied. With his short answers I got the impression he was preoccupied, so I asked, "What are you doing right now?" ?(driving? working?)
With his answer, "Right now I'm trying to golf", my impression was he was otherwise engaged.
I left it at that, so as to not bother him while he played golf, although he came back a few minutes later, asking, "What kind of man are you looking for?"
I politely replied, "I don't want to bother you, while you're golfing and the answer to your question is in my profile."

The point is: This was a perfect example of a person who has to be attached to a mobile messaging device! It seems this is someone who can't even enjoy a good game of golf without playing with his phone!

No I'm not disillusioned! But perhaps someone else is! LOL
 DragonBits
Msg: 107
Posted: 8/2/2014 12:00:51 AM

The point is: This was a perfect example of a person who has to be attached to a mobile messaging device! It seems this is someone who can't even enjoy a good game of golf without playing with his phone!

Perhaps.

But maybe he saw your profile only recently, or he signed up just recently, and was eager to send you a quick MSG and didn't think you would be online while he sent it. No doubt he couldn't see that you were online, or he didn't understand how to determine you were online from his smartphone. If he was playing and waiting for other golfers ahead of him, not a lot to do while waiting.

If I sent a MSG to a POF profile and I couldn't determine they were online I would be a little surprised that they responded quickly. I would think they might take a day or two to respond.

I remember once I sent a MSG to a profile on POF and got response back right away, I was surprised and wasn't ready to respond. It was before the age restrictions and she had an age of 100, I was amused and sent her a MSG telling her she look really good for her age and was she a cougar? (She looked more like 35. )

No matter the reasons for him MSGing you while playing golf, my take would be he didn't expect a quick reply and wasn't really that familiar with how his smartphone worked and how to see if people are online and the fact that it takes some effort to MSG back and forth smoothly while doing something else.

Now that I understand it was a POF MSG and not a text msg, it makes more sense, most people don't respond quickly to a POF MSG.

If you think people here are attached to their mobiles, you should see them in Asia, most women have 2-3 phones and nearly 90% of people have their face buried in their cell phones. I have heard stories of Western men that got angry and threw the mobile out the window.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 108
Posted: 8/2/2014 7:15:58 AM

Actually Pennsylvania is a very picturesque state with much history. I'm glad I live here compared to all the other states up here.

I've been through the state a lot... My biggest complaint is that it seems like your entire driving test is "If you can start the car, you get a license."

And there was the idiot I got stuck behind at McDonalds who ordered "the chicken and fries", and then just stared at the cashier like an idiot when she was asking "which chicken".

It's a nice state, but you gotta admit, there's a lot of dumb people in it.
 Etritonakin
Msg: 109
Posted: 8/2/2014 9:39:42 AM

okie dokie
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 110
Posted: 8/2/2014 11:02:24 AM
Wow, so technology has evolved, get used to it and adapt! Do you people bi*ching about cells phones and texting still have rotary phones on the wall at home??
 sigungq
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2014 2:49:02 PM

Forumfellathesequel wrote:

Wow, so technology has evolved, get used to it and adapt! Do you people bi*ching about cells phones and texting still have rotary phones on the wall at home??

Skype and cell phones are forward tech. Talking and viewing are forward tech. Talking vs. texting is the telephone vs. telegraph. Texting is backward technology, not forward.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 112
Posted: 8/2/2014 3:51:17 PM
Backward technology is awesome, my camera is like the flinstones model, where a bird pecks out the image with its beak.
So the next time a lady tries to text ya sigunng, tell her to go to hell till she knows how to use a phone properly..easy! But something tells me you would just text her back. ;)
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 113
Posted: 8/2/2014 3:52:35 PM

Texting is backward technology, not forward.

Texting is forward in the sense that it's convenience for those who use it - you can get a message across without all the chatter and pleasantries mucking up the whole thing if you don't have time (or can't have a conversation as it's too quiet/loud to use the phone).

I don't remember too many portable battery operated telegraph machines back in the day.
 easterparadehat
Msg: 114
Posted: 8/3/2014 6:47:34 AM
So Rockin Trucker is biased against Pennsylvania because he went to a McDonald's Restaurant and observe the behavior of one Pennsylvanian so now he has a broad generalizaion of approximately 12 or 13 million. Maybe that is his problem in other aspects of his life as well?
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 115
Posted: 8/3/2014 7:59:53 AM
So Rockin Trucker is biased against Pennsylvania because he went to a McDonald's Restaurant and observe the behavior of one Pennsylvanian so now he has a broad generalizaion of approximately 12 or 13 million. Maybe that is his problem in other aspects of his life as well?

Oh, no, it's WAY more than that. I live on the shore, I get thousands of them around here every weekend. They're typically not very liked in the area. Everything from their kids running around alone in stores, to being the most dangerous thing on the road, to just deciding 50mph in the left lane is the smartest possible choice in a 65.... It's just something we see here all the time, and get tons of every weekend. And conveniently, they almost all have a PA plate on their car.
 Howdy_From_Harry
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2014 10:41:00 AM
Cause women are mean vicious creatures.
 Howdy_From_Harry
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2014 10:43:51 AM
Don't know about Disney World. Everything there is make believe.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 118
Posted: 8/3/2014 10:50:12 AM
Awwww harry How sweet of you to notice!

Cause women are mean vicious creatures.

GRRRRRRRRRRR, snap, bite, rip, tear, spit!
 easterparadehat
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/3/2014 9:16:10 PM
Again, I've travelled through many states all of them had at least one driver use the left lane like a right lane. To generalize too much makes you look immature.
 ladymercury
Msg: 120
Posted: 8/5/2014 6:53:33 PM
I sometimes wonder if I'm delusional when it comes to relationship making, but then realize that it may be a lack of free will because, really, I'm not willing to control it. It has to happen naturally, I say.

Finding a relationship is not hard work when you really think about it ... people do it all the time. Look around, families are everywhere, couples are holding hands and kissing under the stars, some man is approaching a woman at a market with the hopes of getting a telephone number right now, as I sit on the laptop typing away. Perhaps they'll find each other enjoyable and spend the rest of their lives together. Likewise two men are happily bringing home their first born son and two women are writhing with each other in love somewhere else. What a wonderful thing.

But, no, I'm not there, it's just not happening.

Last night I was thinking about starting a thread about those that aren't in love or partnered and what that may mean. Does it mean I can't fall in love, is it a problem or lack of something, or does it just mean I'm not inviting it in? Is it not welcome?

Not too sure, but I know I must still experience something that is love, a feeling that maybe seems at a terrible distance in comparison to other kinds of love. My kind of love is farther than that ... but yet it doesn't have anything to do with illusion or portrayals, lack of compatibility, attraction or misery.

Hmph, not so sure why that is ... but it is something to ponder for sure.
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 121
Posted: 8/5/2014 7:26:31 PM
Maleman999
Just in case you missed it... Disney... Song of the South... Uncle Remus and B'riar Rabbit. Zip A Dee Do Dah.... 1945.
LePew
 Your_Move
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2014 7:58:03 PM

Last night I was thinking about starting a thread about those that aren't in love or partnered and what that may mean. Does it mean I can't fall in love, is it a problem or lack of something, or does it just mean I'm not inviting it in? Is it not welcome?

That might be an interesting conversation - I could see it being open-ended enough to draw in a lot of name-calling and gender-bashing, but that's not new. But how about this one: For the men and women here, either coupled currently or not - how many people have you approached, and how many people that have approached you, have you rejected? No value judgements, just raw #s.
 kj521
Msg: 123
Posted: 8/5/2014 10:10:30 PM
"Last night I was thinking about starting a thread about those that aren't in love or partnered and what that may mean. Does it mean I can't fall in love, is it a problem or lack of something, or does it just mean I'm not inviting it in? Is it not welcome? "

It's funny.....because at one point in my life....I thought after I lost the love of my life that my heart just didn't have the capacity to love again.....but I realized that was wrong....the hearts' capacity to love is boundless and endless......it is our minds that set the limitations! There is no can't or inviting with regards to love.....it's about be willing and open to the hope and possibilities of the joy of love and the consequences of heartbreak..... and realizing love never happens on your time but its' own! :)

And Marcus......

"Hah! maybe I need to start looking at the women in Florida rather than here in the UK and see if someone wants to ship me over to america! could be a plan!"

I have a couple of beautiful nieces......I'll send them on over to look your profile! Best I can do.....don't know about shipping you over here but one never knows! ;)
 Your_Move
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2014 12:02:34 AM

but I realized that was wrong....the hearts' capacity to love is boundless and endless......it is our minds that set the limitations! There is no can't or inviting with regards to love.....it's about be willing and open to the hope and possibilities of the joy of love and the consequences of heartbreak..... and realizing love never happens on your time but its' own! :)

KJ, I like your outlook :) I've known (and been told by a couple of women I've gone out with) that I'm probably too guarded. (probably? hah!) And probably too picky. Just now, out of curiosity, I did my own "numbers" test (from my previous post) and found the results a bit shocking. I was especially shocked to see that more women had made first contact with me, than I had with other women. And I know for a fact I've whined that too many women leave it to the men to initiate :P
 ladymercury
Msg: 125
Posted: 8/6/2014 3:15:57 PM
Yes, kj, that is a good point ... love does happen on it's own time. And for sure it is endless. We are designed to love, I think.

As for Your_Move's idea around rejecting others, I'm not sure why that happens. I have been on only a handful of dates over the years via POF and, for that reason, have rejected many that have asked for a date. This is my third profile and I've maintained it the longest but I believe my first profile was established in 2005.

I suppose it just happens when it's supposed to happen.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why are so many people disillusioned with relationships?