Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > I can't figure this guy out...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 26
view profile
History
I can't figure this guy out...Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

I did! I said so what if she's redneck; she's really sweet and a hard worker and was clearly raised well because she has manners. He just laughed and told me I don't understand Southern culture because I'm a New Yorker. : (

Mmm.. Just a possibility:

I am technically a Southerner too. I've witnessed behavior similar to that as described, especially in a situation where the people are middle and lower class, or more accurately, what I'd call side-of-middle class.

Anyway, I'd say look up the concept of "back-handed compliments," and the related way that some people praise others by talking them down. The hint he gave that he sees this as part of local culture that you don't understand, suggests that what he's really telling you, is that you missed what he was REALLY saying when you thought he was complaining about her.

Perhaps he was actually PRAISING her, but because he is into performing the "I'm a cool, fabulous guy" routine, the way he DOES do praise, is in a reverse sort of way. You were supposed to nod and wink, and realize that he meant the opposite of everything he said.

If they HAVE already split up, genuinely, it can be a way for each of them to vent their disappointment, by playing it off as annoying instead of heartbreaking. Pure "cool person bravado BS."
 Erin_Cat
Msg: 27
view profile
History
I can't figure this guy out...
Posted: 9/12/2014 10:52:06 PM
We're pilots and flight attendants, so we are around one another constantly.
 phule
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2014 12:44:27 AM
@VolcanoKing 8 words in and you covered anything I could have said. Except that.

OP... the guy is bad news for your friend... unfortunately, she is going to put herself through a world of hell before she realizes she has to get away from him. No one will be able to tell her otherwise.
 Dee4166
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2014 2:48:59 AM
REAL simple sweetie...men ALWAYS seem to want the "newer, better" version....Let me say NOT ALL MEN, but MANY, have a "been there done that attitude" when it comes to women. Once they sleep with a woman they feel they've planted the proverbial flag and lose interest if that's what they're into...
It's the reason that SO many women hold out on having sex, or end up using it as a control measure in their relationships. Then there are the women who have sex with a man almost immediately, hoping that will be the "hook" to keep them...Both ways seem to produce nothing more than unhappy people wondering what went wrong...
It's the oldest game in the book, on both sides
Someone else put it very succinctly...the guy's a DOUCHE!!!! Whether it's you or a friend, my advice would be to RUNNN!!!!!!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/14/2014 3:51:52 AM
Erin_Cat...is this really a "friend" you are talking about in this thread...or is it yourself?
 Zombiedust31
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/14/2014 8:29:52 AM
"He's rude though because he's a Southern gentleman and she's a redneck girl with a good heart and she's hard working and her family's hard working but they live in not a trailer park but low-income homes."

There's no such thing as being a Southern gentleman if he's telling you he slept with her, those things should be kept to oneself, regardless if she's a stalker & pest.

Another thing is, you don't really specify what type of relationship you have with him, not like it matters. He's obviously telling you one thing and has her on the side and trying to play his cards, at least that's what it looks like to me. That and you have no clue what it is he tells her to keep her around, if she were such a stalker and a pest he wouldn't sleep with her, those issues normally escalate after sex is involved.
 ladyc4
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/14/2014 9:10:16 AM
Ladies and gentlemen of ANY geographic location do not broadcast their love lives or trash talk about their friends, lovers,family. REAL ladies and gentlemen do not make thse huge class distinctions about people based on where they live or how they get their living.

Now, I am not saying that people who do such things are necessarily bad people, but they aren't truly ladies and gentlemen.
I'm not going to call them rednecks, trash or crackers, either. I'm not sure what label could be attached to them, that wouldn't in some way be unkind.
Yeah, yeah I did attach a couple of unkind labels to the guy in an earlier post. I didn't say that ladies and gentlemen NEVER lose their tempers or speak sharply when aggravated.
Look,OP, do yourself a favor-DON'T try to figure this guy out.
He's not worth it.
Cindy O
 fuglygirl
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/17/2014 5:19:08 PM

She's a short girl, tanned with waist-length blonde hair, total doll face, big blue eyes, perfect complexion, skinny with like a size 32H bust.

like, 32H is more like a deformity, nothing attractive..do men lust after milk cows, after all?
that is more like bovine udders than female human breasts
 fuglygirl
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/17/2014 5:20:51 PM
so like, maybe she wasn't always beautiful..maybe she was considered homely in high school & college and now is psychically scarred for life & will never get over it?

is ErinCat one of the main characters or is she JEAL-ous the guy isn't after her?

Tune in tomorrow for more, As The World Turns..

wonder why OP would care to "figure this guy out" unless she is the other party..or wants to be, to get with the rude Southern dude..

and why is this post in "Relationships" ?what is the relationship? OP to the guy? to the girl? the guy & the girl he looks down on?
 lelenc1
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/18/2014 2:51:52 PM

He said she's hot but he only slept with her to get her off his back,

There is your answer, OP dude, right there. I wonder why you haven't caught on yet, you seem to be a smart person.

The well-built, short, buxom blonde with an angelic face is a guy who had silicone implants. He screws your buddy up the behind hole, that's why the buxom "she" is on his back, from where he wants to rid "her".

Easy as apple pie. Just ask Lelenc N.Y.S.I.U. detective sergeant.
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/27/2016 1:16:02 PM
Op are you the hot chick in this story?
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2016 11:21:30 PM
He wants her around for the sex but that is all. Anything else she wants he sees as being a pest. He is not so nice in fact. He is a user. Beauty is as beauty does and you seem to be overvaluing it as if it is all that counts. However why you are so interested, you must have some interest in the guy yourself and my guess is that it is you that you are talking about.
 Escape2bfree
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2016 9:56:01 AM
Yeah, they like each other. But he is used to women doing what he wants and as a hard working girl from a low in come family she's not going to put up with crap and he knows it. He also knows he cant hold her on looks alone, so is knocking her down to keep her. So, when she realises what's going on he thinks shes going to kick off and show him up for what he is. His spreading rumours so that when it all kicks off, he looks like the victim and she looks like a psycho. Bet it's the other way round.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2016 3:53:26 PM
SOOOO, You want this dude too??

Can't you do any better either?
 call_me_tater
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/29/2016 1:34:56 AM
People answering a 2 year old thread offering advice and asking questions of an OP that has been long gone from this thread....
Does nobody read dates?
 gtomustang
Msg: 41
I can't finger this guy out...
Posted: 8/29/2016 7:12:09 AM
I used to read tea leaves, but nobody reads dates b/c they don't carry a sports section.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2016 10:08:32 PM
call me tater

You are right. Outdated post. I must check more carefully lol!
 SummmerEve
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/1/2016 8:40:33 PM
it all sounds very immature. 10 years from now all of this will not matter. ( i hope so)
 cooldog65
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2016 2:40:23 AM

size 32H bust

I'm sure he was "milking" it...
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2016 6:17:57 PM
I think you are having a fantasy and wish the guy was you. It may be you but without the looks, right!!
You are dreaming of this girl with whom you go into such detail and she probably does not exist either.
 cooldog65
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2016 6:21:26 PM
^^^^^ I'm sure she figured this guy out since she started this thread 2 years ago.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/3/2016 6:30:05 PM
why oh why are these long dormant threads being bumped. If the forums boring you then start a new thread with an interesting topic
Like idk, Did Kim really get jacked?
 Imurman2119
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/4/2016 7:11:40 PM
I think OP is actually the "southern gentleman" and not the petite sweet gal she is pretending to be.
 cooldog65
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2016 10:37:31 AM
Since the OP has a picture up now (No picture when I initially posted), I think she's the young lady + 15 years (OP is 39) in her story.

She's appears to be very busty.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.

Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/7/2016 10:45:55 AM
^^^^^^^

" She's appears to be very busty "

Have you ever noticed the way women who just got a boob job behave.... I dunno....." differently " somehow ?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > I can't figure this guy out...