Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > why don't girls on here talk?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oldcarsneverdie
Msg: 24
why don't girls on here talk?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I will take your advice with the pic of me with the car. thanks for the feedback
 oldcarsneverdie
Msg: 25
why don't girls on here talk?
Posted: 9/25/2014 1:48:02 PM
I actually put a little effort in my messages, I introduce myself and I made some comment about something on there profile and I asked a question and they just don't write back, if a girl wrote to me and I was not interested I would write back and tell her that. Its not hard to answer a question. I sent some messages to profiles with hardly anything on them the less on the girls profile the better it gives me more questions to ask them.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/25/2014 1:58:15 PM
oldcarsneverdie...my follow-up suggestion is to create a new headline other than the "I am Batman" now there.
You will find a very small minority of women are into comic books, comic book characters, or guys into those hobbies.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/25/2014 2:35:05 PM
See I knew the law of averages made your original statements seem improbable. You did receive messages, but not from the girls that are out of your league.

If a girl messages you and you aren't interested, you do them the favor of saying you're not interested. Its a decent enough thing to do, but you're on the other side of the coin.

Women get about 20 messages a day based on how they look. If you recieved too much fan-mail, im sure you would quickly lose the resolve to explain what would be a definitive 'not interested.' From maybe 19 of the 20 on a good day.

I know because my ex has a profile, and when she showed me the traffic I instantly knew both sides of the equation. And that is, men hold no currency on dating websites. Men sell, women buy.

Maybe the thing you should consider is that your standards are too high. You wouldnt have to accept those standards in reality probably, but something tells me it is easier to send 104 messages in 2 days for you than it is to say "hi" to a girl in reality... even on vacation.
 oldcarsneverdie
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/28/2014 1:42:49 PM
my profile gets no messages at all, I was saying if I did I would tell the girl either way.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/28/2014 2:32:50 PM
^^^ Wonder why?

Maybe your main thumbnail looks JUST LIKE A MUG SHOT.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/28/2014 3:54:03 PM
Your photos don't do you justice. You're not bad-looking, but your main photo makes you appear somewhat cross-eyed. I would suggest you get a new main photo where you're smiling more and looking at the camera from a slight angle, rather than straight on. I agree with the poster above that your current photo looks like a mug shot.

You might also want to add more items to the "interests" section. Try to include more hobbies and activities that would appeal to women. You have only ten interests listed---I would double that amount.

Also, you misspelled "giving" in your headline--that alone would stop me from wanting to read any further.
 Forums_only
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/28/2014 7:25:50 PM
You still have "Ask" for your occupation and later in the profile justify it with a lame excuse. That is ridiculous.

Your income doesn't show anywhere on the profile so there is no need to comment so defensively about it in your profile. That just makes you look unnecessarily paranoid.

Do you actually have a job? If yes, you can put something vague or general to describe it. ie: Admin, Factory work, tradesman, Food industry. You do not need to provide your cheque stub.

If you are not employed for a valid reason, you can put "Other", or "Retired" or "Pension" to imply disability pension.

If you are not employed because you are between jobs, you can indicate what you are trained to do/what line of work you normally work in.

It's basic common sense, as is correcting the main photo.

I really don't believe you understand the basic concept of online dating, though. Good luck.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/28/2014 9:44:38 PM
OP,
Below is just a suggestion. Spelling, using capital letters when necessary, etc. are ALLL important aspects of a good profile.
REWRITTEN-
Delete the first sentence. Unnecessary. Anyone on a dating site is a nice guy/nice girl looking to meet, and have a good time.

..................I'm a classic rock music fan. Some of my favorite artists/bands are, 'The Rolling Stones', 'The Who', 'Journey', and 'The Doors'. One of my hobbies is collecting CD's and old records.

.................I have been bitten by the "travel bug", to six states and historical sights such as Gettysburg, 20 visits so far.

Delete mentioning what you drink and how often. Save that for an in-person convo. If you have stated "socially' in the top portion of the profile, this is sufficient.

..................Fall season with Halloween is my most favorite time of the year. I'm fascinated with haunted houses/old buildings, even those "staged" haunted houses.

..................Good point, I try to find the positive aspects of any situation, regardless of how bleak it may seam.
..................Not so good point, I tend to "tell it like it is". Just being honest can occasionally get me into a bit of " hot water".

.................Been employed for over 9 years and over the winter have an additional side job.
Delete the rest of the income reference. It's irrelevant here. also everyone knows to ask questions and if they don't? Sheesh!

You can include a slight description of the type of woman, or specifically the type of relationship you are seeking. If classic cars/car shows are one of your passions, feel free to mention how great it would be to meet a like minded woman.
LOL A few women LOVE classic/ muscle cars, car shows/races, etc.
Most importantly your main profile pic should show you in the most positive light possible. On a mobile device you appear as a thumbnail size and you have less than 8 sec to catch a woman's eye.
Good luck!
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/28/2014 9:50:50 PM

Perhaps some cats really do have their tongues?

I sent 104 messages over the course of 2 days one time and still I got nothing.

I would check with the Guinness people about that one.

I don't understand why they don't talk on here this is a site where you are supposed to TALK to people.

Maybe the same reason some people actually create a dead stop on a "freeway". Some people are just not good at grasping concepts.
 oldcarsneverdie
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/29/2014 5:19:37 PM
thanks for the feedback, I redid a lot more of how I had everything written
 Lion_of_Ireland
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/30/2014 6:20:03 PM
Your pictures kinda suck. You can post 6 and you have 3 and one of them is a car? The 2 you do have could be better.

A basic internet dating site profile needs three things, none of which guarantees success.

A good opening
A good opening
A good opening
and good pictures
And some confidence
And a few other things, you kind of missed on pretty much everything.

I am hoping to meet a nice girl on here that likes to have a good time and is actually looking to meet a nice guy.

The first thing a woman reads is this boring, lack of confidence statement thing that is probably on this dating site as nauseum.

The nice guy looking for a nice girl. Yay! blah. A not even a nice girl but, a nice girl actually looking. Ugh.

I'm a classic rock music fan. Some of my favorite artists/bands are, 'The Rolling Stones', 'The Who', 'Journey', and 'The Doors'. One of my hobbies is collecting CD's and old records.

OK. At least it is something.

I have been bitten by the "travel bug", to six states and historical sights such as Gettysburg, 20 visits so far.

Sounds like you got bitten by the same bug that keeps making you go back to the same spot, not once, not ten times, but twenty times.

I do not drink beer I favor shots and rum, I don't get drunk and act like a fool, I only drink a few times a month.<----

Why is this on your dating site profile? You are a nice guy remember? Just stay away from the drunk talk altogether. It will help your cause. If you wanna talk about drinking and such, you need to do better then this.

Fall season with Halloween is my most favorite time of the year. I'm fascinated with haunted houses/old buildings, even those "staged" haunted houses.

OK. Something to work with.

I try to find the positive aspects of any situation, regardless of how bleak it may seam. UGH. Remove this.

I tend to "tell it like it is". <------ again UGH. 1 second ago you are positive regardless of how bleak it is and then here you are ( a nice guy) telling it like it is? What if it sucks? Are you positive in any situation? Remove this or reword in a nice guy who is positive any situation regardless of the situation.

Just being honest can occasionally get me into a bit of " hot water". =) <----- Again?

101 messages? Well, so, you found 101 women in your general area that all interested you? Lawd lawd lawd.
 oldcarsneverdie
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/1/2014 3:24:43 PM
ok, I took lots of advice from everyone on here and just about all of it was good. I just have to put up new pics I really don't think anything is wrong with my pic's at all, but I seem to be the only one that thinks that. We will see what happens when I change my pic's, so far nothing happened with all the improvements I made. If anyone has any more ideas let me know.
 TLC200
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/2/2014 4:58:12 PM
have you considered losing the chin-bud?

it's a bit sparse. maybe a clean cut look with no facial hair?
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > why don't girls on here talk?