Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Using big words ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 theforumfiend
Msg: 251
Using big words ...Page 11 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Sadly, it does feel a bit like high school. And yes, I did bring up past quotes, but with things being said I felt a need to stand up for her. I ask is posting a link to an insulting video more acceptable? I hope you don't feel attacked by my response because it isn't meant as one.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/12/2014 12:23:58 AM
a friend ... without naming names ... suggested I check out the forums as I haven't
been posting for ... hmmmm ... maybe a year?

so THIS was my one of the 1st I decided to check out, wondering what was said about
"using big words" that could take up so MANY PAGES ... oh, my ... apparently, I haven't
missed a whole lot ...

incidentally, if someone were to complain that I'm using too many "big words" or he
didn't like the way I phrase my sentences ... I suspect that I would figure that would
be his loss and not mine ... I can't see dumbing down my ability to communicate with
words ... because it would be tedious ... I don't even dumb it down for children ...
 ladyc4
Msg: 253
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/12/2014 8:42:55 AM
Hey, MM, long time no see!
Regarding this trainwreck no longer even slightly disguised as a thread, what does any of this have to do with the educational/native intelligence discrepancies that sometimes occur when 2 people who are pretty much utter strangers "meet" via the internet and try to date?

The OP had this experience, and she wanted to perhaps check her reaction with her peers, or maybe she wanted to vent. Maybe she WAS bragging or showing off. Big whoop!
Stop with the catfight already. It's beneath every single one of you.
I don't come to the forums to witness obstreperous behavior.

It's beginning to piss me off.

Unlike some, I'll speak up and say so publicly, not engage in mod-running or private emails.

These forums, for all their faults, I do believe are helpful to those trying to understand/cope with Adventures in Modern Dating, and probably are doing more good than harm for the most part.
And they are also sometimes better entertainment than TV, so lets' not screw it up for everybody.
Fair enough?
Ciindy O
 overunity
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/12/2014 1:57:35 PM
Wow, there's some pretty awful posters here without a pic 24-7, and they always leave the deadliest stench. Oh well, lmao!
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 255
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/12/2014 3:50:15 PM
they always leave the deadliest stench.

Ugh … kindly keep your peculiar sexual proclivities to yourself, or go post your masturbatory fantasies in the "Sex" thread, FFS.

Freak.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 256
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/12/2014 5:28:46 PM
Hawaiianluau:

Do both of you two same persons message each other on cold nights?

Just two? I was actually thinking there is likely a third.
 CharminC
Msg: 257
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/12/2014 10:05:30 PM
It's only a train wreck if you let it be.
Thick skin people. Thick skin
This is POF after all
I'll admit though....there's been some good reading here. Went well with my coffee.
As for the topic....I can see the different sides of the argument
No one shouldn't have to dumb themselves but at the same time it is a little courtesy to understand who your audience is and speak accordingly. Intelligence shouldn't be insulted and admitting that one doesn't understand shouldn't be snubbed either.
The whole conversation between the op and the man could have turned out so differently.
 cooldog65
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/13/2014 8:52:34 AM

I never lied about my age in my profile. I made a profile and instead of getting 1970 as my year of birth from the drop down menu, I hit 1978 by mistake. 8 and 0 look close when I don't wear my lenses and I was distracted by my kids when I made that profile.

I remember that previous profile. Yes you did state your real age in it (43 at the time). I also remember you saying the page jumped when you went to put your year of birth in. Your profile stated 38 as your age so the mistake of putting in 1978 would have made you only 35 at that time.

As for using big words, if the chick is hot, I probably wouldn't even notice.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 259
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/13/2014 9:31:05 AM
I can't remember what year I clicked on. I was upset and distracted when I made the profile, and honestly, it was no big deal for any guy I met on POF to date, only for the forum people.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 260
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/13/2014 11:20:14 AM

^^^^^ I guess you're right. I suppose everyone should have just told OP what she probably wanted to hear to begin with and that is how smart and intelligent she is and how dumb some men are. How interesting would THAT be?

Indeed. It'd be less interesting. And it'd be the greatest disservice to her.
 Dee4166
Msg: 261
view profile
History
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/13/2014 12:16:52 PM
Yup...seems like there are a LOT of people on this site who take things WAAAAAYYYYY too seriously....
And don't seem to allow for the inherent misunderstandings that are part and parcel of messaging/posting...

They are also a lot of people who seem to take umbrage with others based on THEIR OWN perception of comments that are made without clarifying that was the poster's intent...
It's just....ATTACK and SQUASH, and ask questions later....

Shows a lack of real world communication skills imo...
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 262
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/13/2014 12:30:22 PM

Re: Mungojoe and blartfast being the same person -

Just two? I was actually thinking there is likely a third.

I was going to suggest keeping an eye out for a third since blartfast quit posting immediately after I illuminated his juvenile scheme.

Who is his third profile? Inquiring minds want to know.
I'd try and find it and probably have already but my brain is nauseated every time I open these forums recently.
 trinity818
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/13/2014 2:21:08 PM

my brain is nauseated every time I open these forums recently

I'll second that. It appears that quite a few posters have some serious pent-up aggression issues. They seem to feel that this is the proper venue to vent it. I can only hope they aren't quite so venomous in RL.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 264
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/13/2014 3:08:06 PM
When Mungojoe, Blartfast and his third incarnation start answering each other's posts it will be the sign of real ingrained self absorption mania.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/13/2014 4:46:28 PM
Lol .... or they start quoting or referencing their own self's other account as other multiple account forum posters have done.

I always find it such a hoot when people with multiple accounts preach personal accountability to others but can't.even be accountable for their own selves on this forum by taking ownership of their words and beliefs (by only having one profile).

Most are no better than school yard bullies who say someone needed their azz kicked.to teach them a lesson or have some other other excuse to dump their personal garbage on someone and not feel accountable or responsible for it

Excuses and justifications at best and down right sick when they hurt others to inflate theit selves.
 cotter
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/13/2014 4:55:13 PM
Message 290 ... What is your obsession with Mungo and/or Blartfast? Who cares about all that? Good grief ... take a pill and settle down already! Go get something to drink and sit on the beach!

OT ...
I am not looking for a date here so anyone who doesn't understand me who contacts me is of little or no consequence. If they eventually become friends with me and still don't get what I'm talking about, I suppose I could tell them to look it up. When I hear men talking with "I/She/He seen ..." --- "He/She don't ..." etc. then I just distance myself from them. There is no need to insult anyone ... just leave them alone.

By the way ... has anyone figured out yet what happened to the moderators?
 Walts
Msg: 267
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/13/2014 5:34:26 PM

Probably got tired of dealing with children and their antics and decided to jump off a bridge. I know I would kick a few bums to high heaven with the way some are acting in these waters. And some wonder why they can't "find" someone, or even anyone. Really?
 cooldog65
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/13/2014 5:41:30 PM

This question has its own thread...

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16278989.aspx

I agree with you Walts. I don't even read the overly long posts on any thread.
 Coma_White
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/14/2014 1:07:53 AM

incidentally, if someone were to complain that I'm using too many "big words" or he
didn't like the way I phrase my sentences ... I suspect that I would figure that would
be his loss and not mine ... I can't see dumbing down my ability to communicate with
words ... because it would be tedious ... I don't even dumb it down for children

Something is wrong if you speak to a 8 year old the same way you speak to a 40 year old.
 Ainen
Msg: 270
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/14/2014 7:01:08 AM

I can't remember what year I clicked on. I was upset and distracted when I made the profile, and honestly, it was no big deal for any guy I met on POF to date, only for the forum people.

Of course it wasn't a big deal for the people who agreed to meet. It probably was an automatic dealbreaker for countless people who viewed your profile and immediately hit the back button as soon as they read the age was inaccurate, ditto for people who messaged first who didn't respond.

Apparently the site gives new users a few days to correct errors in birthdate and gender, so any wrong age or gender seems deliberate.

I will give credit to people for being honest about being dishonest.
 NoBuddies_Fool
Msg: 271
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/14/2014 8:32:39 AM
OMG,......The inmates have taken over the asylum! Cra...Cra...
It looks to be by the usual suspects.

Big words?
OP....I don't use or need big words in conversation because mostly it's just not me....the odd time one may come to my head which seems to be appropriate....at the time.
I am not all that "etchecated" but even being on the lower end of this....pretentious people annoy the hell out of me.
A person that is well educated, is smart enough to speak to others without having to remind them just how smart they are....imo.

It's kind of like someone shouldn't have to tell others how .."pretty, nice,honest...or rich" you are.
Which brings us...to the two blondes feuding on here....
I've been here a long time and have had words with the "angel" on her mistreatment of other women.

She has constantly put down others because of their weight, looks or age.
Only ugly women pay their own way...comes to mind.
Let's not forget... her side kick a few years back...one of her supposed friends that wreaked havoc on the forums saying very disgusting things about women...as well.
As for HS...I don't always agree with her posts but other than her feud with "angel"...oh and maybe giving advise to another that wasn't appreciated....never has been so mean and phoney.
Anyhoo....enuff said~
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 272
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/14/2014 2:32:16 PM

A person that is well educated, is smart enough to speak to others without having to remind them just how smart they are....imo.

I'd have to agree.

It's kind of like someone shouldn't have to tell others how .."pretty

Seems as though, reading thru the thread, that some disagree with this....they need tio constantly remind, and be reminded of how important external beauty is tio them.

As for HS...I don't always agree with her posts but other than her feud with "angel"

I try to stay out of these personal disputes...they can only end in a flaming disaster...case in point...I commented on a flame war between the afore mentioned poster and another...and then became embroiled in their little spat-yikes...but, to say the only dispute HS has is only with Angel is wrong...there are several flame wars with multiple posters going on.
 cotter
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/14/2014 6:09:11 PM
Message 142 ...

shoutyjoe
Mungojoe. He is now blartfast.
Really ... ? LMFAO

Obsessed much? Wait ... let me answer that for you ... YES.

msg 154
ROTFLMAO at Vlad for calling cotter the c word.
What "c" word did he use? Maybe you should ask him exactly what he was writing about. I did. Turns out ... he was not calling me any kind of "c" word. Vlad has never disrespected me like that.

So sorry, Message 235 ... wrong again.

I was going to suggest keeping an eye out for a third since blartfast quit posting immediately after I illuminated his juvenile scheme.
A quick check shows that "blartfast" has been posting all along. Hmmm ... looks like you're wrong again. More obsession ... eh?

Who is his third profile? Inquiring minds want to know.
Why not write to the profiles you think are involved and ask?

I'd try and find it and probably have already but my brain is nauseated every time I open these forums recently.
Yeah ... we noticed. You're having difficulty staying on topic. Can't you scout for illegal profiles without cluttering up the threads with your off topic rants?Or are you purposely trying to get the threads deleted ... like you were doing before?

OT ...
I don't think we have to necessarily use "big words" with some men ... we just have to speak plain appropriate English. Some are apparently so baffled by the appropriate use of English ... they need a dictionary. Others understand us, but just probably didn't pay much attention in English class.

You'd think my children might have a slight disadvantage since their father is an immigrant and while he's been in this country quite some time, he still speaks English with a heavy accent. Even with such a handicap at home, they have all managed to master the English language and end up also avoiding partners who don't use the language appropriately.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 274
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/14/2014 7:56:11 PM

Of course it wasn't a big deal for the people who agreed to meet. It probably was an automatic dealbreaker for countless people who viewed your profile and immediately hit the back button as soon as they read the age was inaccurate, ditto for people who messaged first who didn't respond.

Oh well, big deal. I still got 100s of messages despite my "lie", so maybe it was a good thing I thinned the herd a little. I ended up dating someone for several months shortly after I created that profile, so it worked regardless. And I didn't contact anybody first with that profile either, didn't have to. I can count the times I messaged someone first on two hands. And most replied, so it's all good.
 cooldog65
Msg: 275
view profile
History
Using big words ...
Posted: 10/14/2014 10:55:29 PM
Karma you've said this...

Oh well, big deal. I still got 100s of messages despite my "lie", so maybe it was a good thing I thinned the herd a little. 

But you've also said this...

But still I get plenty of messages, maybe not hundreds, but enough to keep me busy.

Is it hundreds or not? Just wondering...

Like shooting fish in a barrel...
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Using big words ...