Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Are there any active moderators?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Holly63
Msg: 26
Are there any active moderators?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

Or, finally; it would happen if she herself decided to leave and wiped her history before she went.
I'm going with the last idea, it makes sense

It makes sense because it's true. She wiped her history a while ago.

Anyway, the majority of us know how to conduct ourselves in an adult fashion on these forums so while this site searches for new mods...if Admin even does..... lets hope it stays that way. Lets not ruin a good thing.
 ohenryx
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Are there any active moderators?
Posted: 9/30/2014 12:27:03 PM

I find most of this thread hysterical because I've been sent to banned camp exactly once and it was by Miss A because I posted about a member who had been gone for 2 yrs at that point. The reason for the ban - 'name and shame'

Consider yerselves all banned for 2 weeks! ROTFLMAO

Miss A put me on a partial ban about 2 years ago, and I think it's still in effect. She's probably banned or partially banned more people than all of the other moderators over the history of these forums.

But it's all good. Being limited to 5 posts per day keeps me from wasting as much time here as I used to, and that's probably a good thing.
 overunity
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2014 1:57:47 PM
The divine Miss A is gone?????????? Say it isn't so!!!
 DragonBits
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/2/2014 6:20:55 AM
I would think it most likely Miss A got deleted, but I am not sure why.

The reason I think so, I was actively exchanging MSGs with her when her account and MSGs disappeared. . If she deleted it herself, I would think she would have sent me a MSG saying she was leaving. She had sent me a MSG saying she would get back to me. I had always found that she responded to MSG fairly promptly. But maybe something happened that annoyed her too much and she didn't want to say she was leaving.

All of this was about an action a mod took, I was led to believe by Miss A it must have been trappedonbayst. But that mod has restrictions that prevents me and maybe 70% of the forum from contacting him.

Since I couldn't contact trappedonbayst, I then sent a MSG to forum_moderator. I don't know who that mod is, it seems likely they are a paid member of the POF staff. I never got a MSG back from that mod, so I asked Miss A to pass along my MSG to trappedonbayst.

I wasn't complaining about a mod, I was only seeking an explanation and appealing a decision. But they disappeared at the same time as all this MSGing was going on, so who knows if it had anything to do with their leaving.

I think the MOD system is a little squirely, it could be set up better.

You don't know you have a ban until you try and do something, some bans like creating new threads, you don't get a notice that a MOD has taken an action, nor what mod did it. It could be months before you even know you did something wrong. The rules were a little hard to find and things like flaming were interpreted either loosely or very tightly.

Often a poster will contact a MOD directly to complain about a thread. A personal relationship can develop creating a possible bias.

I think a few tweaks would make the system better.
1) One thing would be to only allow complaints about a poster or thread to appear in Forum Posting Violations thread, not to allow them to be sent directly to a mod.

2) When a ban is instigated, have the mod or the system send a MSG to the poster about a ban with a brief explanation why.

I am not sure how often bans are placed, maybe they are so often it would be too much work to send a MSG to a poster. I doubt the owner wants to tweak the system to have an auto msg sent to a poster.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/2/2014 8:07:13 AM
BigFish, the owner, doesn't pay much attention to the forums. These forums do not produce any revenue and he decided over a year ago to remove the easy link to them from the top ribbon on the dating side pages. I don't see admin putting much effort into the code for the forums nor do I see much support for moderators being provided.

The participation in the forums plummeted within a couple months of the removed link. It went down to one active moderator. The inactive moderator became re-active when Miss A quit. Now that second moderator has become inactive again.

From the perspective of us, the forum participants, the administration of this site isn't doing anything, nor do they appear to be in any hurry to, to have the forums moderated. If they were, the threads and posters that are starting to spin out of control would have been dealt with by either administration or a new moderator.

Many many of my posts over the years have been trying to talk down the Chicken Littles yelling that the end for the site is coming with every little change. I now have to believe that without moderation BigFish will eventually have no choice but to close the forums. I don't see how he could afford the publicity of these forums running amuck.

I will miss the forums if they are forced out. I don't spend hours a day here like some although I am usually in the forums two to three times a day to be entertained and see if I can be of help to anyone.

I'm sure many have had thoughts of this... What are the chances that cowboy would be invited to return as a moderator? Not a request. More of an out loud thought.
(Now that ought to get some comments.)
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/2/2014 10:22:22 AM
I heard that Cowboy got a ban from Miss A - but that could well be idle gossip. His profile is still active but he hasn't posted in months and months. He was knowledgeable and fair, I thought. As for site advice, he was the best. Abelain was perfect - smart and fair but he got run off by the power trippers. OR, the whole thing is gossip, who knows.

I agree with Dragon - if you have a complaint, post it in the Report thread and don't go emailing the mods privately. If you don't have the b@lls to show your face, all you are is a tattle tale or childish snitch. No emailing the mods privately with a complaint other than to plead your case with a ban. There are far too many chicken little's, tattle tales, too many wannabe mods and snitches. Be a grown up. But I do agree, the forums need moderating.
 DragonBits
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/2/2014 10:26:58 AM

But I do agree, the forums need moderating.

I think the forums are still being moderated, but very lightly by someone that doesn't have a lot of time to do it. I see some threads that should go away get deleted. IMO if someone is moderating, they are doing it only when something grossly violates rules and common sense.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/2/2014 11:12:36 AM
I am not seeing any signs of moderation. I'm not trying to argue, it's just that I don't see the signs of it. In the violations report thread there has not been any action taken on any reports since the still posted report on September 19. A few are creditable reports of obvious violations that should have had action taken.

I have rechecked the "Last 100 Deleted Posts" page and every post deleted since September 17 has been to a POF event post.

I have rechecked the "Deleted Threads" page and all but 1 of the deleted threads since September 17 have been event threads and been deleted by one of the two Events Threads Forum moderators. There are several from the forums (non-event) that have been deleted but the moderator name is blank. Only one of these blank no-name deletions was deleted since September 17.

As I stated in one of my early posts in this thread, it is my assumption that these "no-name" deletions may have been deleted by the last moderator(s) and his/her name was deleted when everything else with their name was deleted. Or, they may have been so out of hand that they were reported directly to admin and someone at Corporate (a non-moderator) deleted them. (You have to go back seven or eight pages before you see Miss A's name in any of the deleted by boxes.)

If you are seeing other deleted threads where did you find them? I have only been able to find the two above postings for deleted threads and deleted posts. Are the ones you are talking about on these lists?

Thanks.

EDIT:
Threads can be community deleted by vote within a certain time frame of being started. I forget the time frame but it dose not require moderator action. You have to be logged into the forums to see the vote if it has been invoked. You also have to be logged in to vote. If it is not voted off by 7 out of 10 votes to delete it, it will stay posted unless a moderator deletes it.

This may be how something you are talking about got deleted and would not have required a moderator. Just some thoughts.

Just had another thought... Community voted deletions may also answer why there is no name in the deleted by box of some of the deleted threads.
 DragonBits
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/2/2014 11:52:04 AM

I stated in one of my early posts in this thread, it is my assumption that these "no-name" deletions may have been deleted by the last moderator(s) and his/her name was deleted when everything else with their name was deleted.

But that isn't true. If you go back further, you will see both Miss A and trap listed as MODS that deleted threads. So their names are still in that record. And you will see a no name MOD that has been deleting threads on an irregular basis from time to time. No name deleted about 7 threads since then 8/18, and Miss A is listed as deleting threads as recently as 8/18 and trap last was 8/21.

But it could have been a community vote that is listed as no name. However some threads that no name deleted had gotten to 30 replies, I am not sure how community voting works. Can a thread be deleted off by the community after that many replies?

If you think about it, what if admin wanted to delete a thread? I am sure it has happened, yet I have never seen an Admin type name, only MODs, event moderator and NO Name.

But the bottom line, I can't be sure if no name is a mod or a community vote. The forums don't yet seem to be spinning out of control, the violations mentioned are fairly minor. I suppose time will tell if the forums remain and if they elect to get a new MOD. With the information on hand, there isn't much more I could speculate about the situation.

EDIT: One other thing, the person listed as forum_modertor last posted 9/17, and it's obvious that poster knows a lot more about HTML coding than most posters or mods. So whatever their duties are, they still look at the forums.
 ohenryx
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2014 3:43:13 PM

I heard that Cowboy got a ban from Miss A - but that could well be idle gossip. His profile is still active but he hasn't posted in months and months. He was knowledgeable and fair, I thought. As for site advice, he was the best.

Cowboy was very good about site advice. I never heard anything about him being banned, I suspect he just got bored with the forums.

Abelain was perfect - smart and fair but he got run off by the power trippers. OR, the whole thing is gossip, who knows

“abelian” (correct spelling, it’s a term in mathematics) was run off by Miss A. She and abelian butted heads, and she started deleting his posts that she happened to disagree with. As she disagreed with nearly everything he stood for, that was most of his posts. Abelian tried to appeal to the BigFish, but was completely ignored.

After abelian deleted his profile, someone else created a profile with the same name. The “moderator privilege level” was tied to that user name, this other person “inherited” the moderator privileges that abelian originally had. This fake “abelian” proceeded to do a great deal of damage here in the forums. He (or she, no one knows) modified posts so that some of the regulars appeared to have said some very outlandish things. Whole threads were deleted, moved, modified. For a short while, chaos ruled.

I think the MOD system is a little squirely, it could be set up better.

You’ve got that right!

You don't know you have a ban until you try and do something, some bans like creating new threads, you don't get a notice that a MOD has taken an action, nor what mod did it. It could be months before you even know you did something wrong. The rules were a little hard to find and things like flaming were interpreted either loosely or very tightly.

Once again, I agree strongly.
 Holly63
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/2/2014 5:55:55 PM
Guys.....please...you may not like what I'm about to say but I mean it with all good intentions.

Besides addressing a user in same thread, we are NOT to mention other usernames under any circumstances.
People who have gone is one thing but a few of you have mentioned current users' full names which is a huge violation of forum posting rules.

I'd hate to see people here copping a ban when (or if) a new mod comes along or Admin reads this.
Just saying......... :)
 DragonBits
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/2/2014 6:36:55 PM

Besides addressing a user in same thread, we are NOT to mention other usernames under any circumstances.
People who have gone is one thing but a few of you have mentioned current users' full names which is a huge violation of forum posting rules.

If so, then that's a good example of a squirrely rule. I don't see it anywhere, could you point out where that rule is?

What I do see is this rule about screen names in connection with Libel and allegations. No one here was said that any mod has done anything wrong.

11.No impersonating or libeling anyone - Period. This includes allegations of any sort which use the poster's screen name or real name or other personal information. If you need to report a user - use the Report User feature on their profile.

(BTW, people often mention Markus name, doesn't he count?)
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/2/2014 7:25:49 PM
^^ that's why we need a moderator that knows the rules, there are far too many that "think" they know the rules. Or all the answers.
 Holly63
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/2/2014 8:02:19 PM
Unfortunately, after the fake Abelian, the FAQ's were corrupted and never restored. There is a history of some of them, yes, but no current ones. It stated such in the FAQ's and the mods' responses over the years which have also been erased.

I've been here on and off since 2008 and I do know username mentioning is and has been a cause for many bans and deletions in the past. I mean no malice and don't profess to know everything. Just wanted to advise with best of intentions is all.
All good. :)

EDIT:

No one here was said that any mod has done anything wrong.

I know and the rule, in my opinion, is crazy but it is what it is. I've been in trouble in the past so was just wanting to pass on the caution. xx
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/3/2014 8:51:04 AM
“abelian” (correct spelling, it’s a term in mathematics) was run off by Miss A. She and abelian butted heads, and she started deleting his posts that she happened to disagree with. As she disagreed with nearly everything he stood for, that was most of his posts. Abelian tried to appeal to the BigFish, but was completely ignored.

This is a distortion of the facts. Abelian was forced out because he went rogue and violated POF policy for moderating. Among the violations was his attempt to override decisions made by both of the other moderators.

Abelian wasn't a team player.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/3/2014 9:27:26 AM
^^ Ah, no. Those aren't the facts. Those might be someone's "facts". There are three sides to every story; his, her's and the truth. The "facts" you heard may be from one person while the "facts" some of us were told by the other person are completely different.

So be careful about "facts".
 ohenryx
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2014 1:26:45 PM

Halcyon_Skies
This is a distortion of the facts. Abelian was forced out because he went rogue and violated POF policy for moderating. Among the violations was his attempt to override decisions made by both of the other moderators.

bluemoon24_7
^^ Ah, no. Those aren't the facts. Those might be someone's "facts". There are three sides to every story; his, her's and the truth. The "facts" you heard may be from one person while the "facts" some of us were told by the other person are completely different.

I have to agree about “three sides to every story”, although in some cases it exceeds three.

Here are a few things that I do know.
1. The last few days before abelian deleted his profile, his posts were being deleted. Back then, I spent quite a few hours each day on the forums. Yes, I know, ridiculous waste of time, but what can I say? I would read posts made by Abelian in the morning, and a few hours later they would be gone. I’m pretty sure that abelian was not deleting his own posts, which meant that one of the other two moderators was.

2. In private conversations with myself, and other members, abelian indicated that he was very sure of who was deleting his posts. As in, he told me that he had conversations with Miss A about her deleting his posts.

Halcyon_Skies

Actually, I will agree with you on this one. He was not a “team player”, he was an individualist. A very strong one. One of the things I admired about him, along with his intelligence, and the way he always argued from a logical position.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/3/2014 1:30:32 PM

I have nothing to be careful about. I'm aware of my facts from my observations of what was going on in the forums at that time. Users were banned by another mod, and Abelian lifted the bans of his forum buddies.

It was pretty common knowledge that he played favorites. When his buddies were re-banned, he retaliated against the other mods, and all hell broke loose.
 ohenryx
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2014 1:42:19 PM
I might as well post this story as well, while I can. This may get deleted later, and I might even get banned, but what the hell… (smile)

The below information was related to me, after everything was finished, by someone who was in a position to know. I cannot swear to any of it, but I do believe it to be true.

When abelian deleted his profile, he was a moderator. The moderator privileges were attached to his user name, and anyone who created a new account with that user name would inherit his moderator privileges. Which was a very wide open security hole.

Cowboy, as a former moderator himself, and being an IT professional, was quite well aware of this security hole. He stepped in, created an account with the user name “abelian”, and informed the other, remaining moderators about what he had done and why. The way I heard this story, the lady who was the events moderator at that time pitched a fit and told Cowboy that he was in violation of the rules (having two user accounts), and that he must immediately delete this second account.

Cowboy did as he was told, deleted the “abelian” account he had created, and the fake abelian stepped in and wreaked havoc on the forums here.

In response to Halcyon_Skies, just above me:

Users were banned by another mod, and Abelian lifted the bans of his forum buddies.

It was pretty common knowledge that he played favorites. When his buddies were re-banned, he retaliated against the other mods, and all hell broke loose.

Once upon a time, Miss A placed me on a partial ban. I asked abelian via private message if there were any way that I could appeal her decision, and he informed me that there was no appeal, and that there was nothing he or anyone else could do about it. “Only the moderator who imposed the ban could lift it”.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/3/2014 3:18:57 PM
I agree with Henry. I had private conversations with 3 mods (two many times)..they can't tamper with Another mods ban. They could maybe speak to them but they couldn't lift them.

It was common knowledge that Abelian didn't get on with Miss A. She had the extensive list of favourites. I'm sure most of them had a few. Cowboy was fair, I thought, as was Abelian. More logical and less emotional and power tripping than Miss A. I think once difference was that Abelian did some much posting before coming a mod that his style and way of telling someone they were wrong grated a few who weren't used to being told that. There are a few that seem to think their word is gospel and when he slammed them, which he often did, they didn't like it so they don't like Abelian. I personally like his posting style and his moderating. I did get tired of Cowboy calling every woman "Hon" or something like that...the y'all attitude gets lame. I heard he was banned from posting by...you got it.

The thing is, the "facts" depend on who you talked to. I'm sticking with the facts I was told. Others can stick with their "facts".
 trinity818
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2014 3:34:23 PM
Hopefully they will get some new moderators. We certainly need them.

I think moderators should be anonymous. And they should be individuals with no real interest in posting. Otherwise there would have to be conflicts of interest from time to time. It's human nature.

Unfortunately, I think Marcus will elect to shut down the forums. They really serve no useful purpose for him. The original vision has not come to fruition. It was great for awhile. But that was a long time ago.
 Holly63
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/3/2014 4:27:37 PM

they can't tamper with Another mods ban.

That's correct. I was banned from starting new threads months ago. I approached another mod and was told only the mod who banned me can lift it. On a side note, I wonder if my ban has now gone since the mod has gone......hmmmm. I'll have to try I guess.

Unfortunately, I think Marcus will elect to shut down the forums. They really serve no useful purpose for him.

That's what many of us fear. However the useful purpose, I think, is the number of "clicks" generated while we flick around the forums, view people's profiles and help each other with site help. I think at the very LEAST keep the Site Help available, Violations, the Profile Reviews and one or two Relationship Issues forums. Scrap the Recipes and Cooking, the Humour, Off Topic, etc forums as they only serve as entertainment generally.
 gingerosity
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2014 5:07:47 PM

Unfortunately, I think Marcus will elect to shut down the forums. They really serve no useful purpose for him.

He needs to integrate event hosting into the main website first. That might have moved up the priority list a bit now.

He could remove the links to the forum on the login page and the blog, since the help function of the forums has been largely replaced by the help center/blog/twitter feed.
 Holly63
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/3/2014 6:11:16 PM

they can't tamper with Another mods ban.

Actually I'm wrong. I found out they DO have the ability to override a fellow mod but they choose not to as its disrespectful to their colleagues. Abelian broke the golden rule, going against his fellow mods and did, indeed, lift some bans and restrictions which caused a lot of grief.

He needs to integrate event hosting into the main website first. That might have moved up the priority list a bit now

Yes, I forgot about the Events. Good point. :)
 cotter
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2014 6:12:10 PM

Yeah ... that sounds like what I've heard too. I don't know that Abelian person you all are talking about but I've heard he could be rather abusive.

I note that "trapped" still has an active profile. Why doesn't someone write to him and ask what's going on?

I've had run-in's with with different moderators over the time --- none of whom have been mentioned but then I've been here since 2005. If I've been banned and treated fairly by the ban, I suck it up and sit out. A couple of times I have questioned the ban but mostly did not get a ban lifted unless I was able to prove that a restriction was placed on me without due cause. What goes on behind the scene is at best just gossip ... because in the end, we all just have access to our own emails. We can hear stuff through the grapevine, but who knows for sure what is really going on?

Like I said, if someone is on the good side of "trapped", perhaps they need to ask "trapped" what's going on ... he's still here and it occurs to me that some still fall in his parameters and could email him and ask. Of course, there are no guarantees that he'll give anyone an answer.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Are there any active moderators?