Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Are there any active moderators?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Seakyttten
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Are there any active moderators?Page 5 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I do have to say I've met so many good friends on this site that I keep in touch with on a regular basis. I've been a party to flame wars, etc. when I felt my life was going down the toilet and was banned repeatedly by various moderators. Things change, people change and I no longer feel I have to MAKE MY POINT in the forums in order for it to count. I no longer care what people think of my opinions and I refuse to fight or argue with a computer..I do enough of that at the drive-through speaker at Burger King. LOL

There will always be people that have no life except the POF forums, people that are on power trips because they're treated with disrespect every other day of their lives and those that just want to be the "boss." I have no desire nor intention to be a party to those scenarios other than to possibly offer another perspective to someone that truly needs advice.

I've been on and off the forums for a number of years and have the utmost respect for the moderators that were here for a period of years. They always treated me fairly and if I committed an infraction in the forums they didn't allow me to get away with it. I took my bans and went on with my life.

I suggest we learn from the forums, help each other and hope Markus doesn't get rid of the forums completely. If he does, then so be it. I have a life and spending 24/7 on the forums arguing and fighting with a complete stranger is a waste of my time.

Seakytten
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 102
Are there any active moderators?
Posted: 10/14/2014 12:41:13 PM
Well this is new the Mod 'Event Moderator' just Deleted a thread in the Off Topics Forum.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 103
Posted: 10/14/2014 1:05:32 PM
^^^^ maybe someone hired a lawyer and made POF delete the thread. OR, maybe there is a new mod in town. It was fun running amok for a few days, then it got boring.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 104
Posted: 10/14/2014 2:41:11 PM
msg:114 If you look at the 'Deleted Threads Forum', you'll see the thread, 'How Trolls Should End' from 'Off Topics', was Deleted by 'Event Moderator'. Posters have stated that the 'Event Moderators' could only 'Moderate Events'. Maybe POF has expanded their Powers, since the Regular Moderators quit.
 cotter
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2014 3:06:15 PM
If people behave ... why should they be concerned about what a moderator will do?
 Strings6
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2014 8:30:51 AM
Moderation,oh yes,i was just told that I could not post more than 2 post out of 10 in a discussion of politics while the other person of the opposite side was allowed to post about 3 out of 6.....yeah,there's moderation here....many of my post politically and gender sensitive issues never show up.
 trinity818
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2014 1:32:05 PM
Strings,

Sometimes you can get around that by putting more characters in your post. That has worked for me in the past.
 Strings6
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2014 6:48:51 PM
Thanks for the advice but I can't say I care enough to bother with it,dealing with such people is a waste of time.
 4forumzgal
Msg: 109
Posted: 11/7/2014 6:34:26 PM
Just an observation.......I'm wondering if there might, just MIGHT be some new Mods on the way.

I'ts just that I've noticed some recent activity on the Volunteer Moderators Only thread. Lets wait and see. :)
 4forumzgal
Msg: 110
Posted: 11/7/2014 10:12:45 PM
On second thoughts, never mind, lol. Just wishful thinking. And, as has been said before, lets just wait and see what happens.
 billingsmason
Msg: 111
Posted: 11/11/2014 6:42:57 PM
#2 and 6 nailed it.

Strings, there isn't a someone following you around the internet limiting what you can say....
It's a programming filter "they" pour our diatribe through.
It just requires you to hit the hole in the filter.

If this was mine......... I wouldn't moderate either.
It's like a plant. Once sown, it should need little attention to do what it should.
Yes, amputate the bad and stoke the fire...
it will adapt, as we should without our moderators.
Maybe this a good day to honor them too.

I also hope we don't loose this venue.
I have learned much and honestly had no idea how OLD worked until discovering the forums. Any question I could possibly think of about dating or women or why this isn't working.....are answered here. So much of a percentage of the population is just pretty unprepared to answer simple questions. It's evidenced in all my posts...
 billingsmason
Msg: 112
Posted: 11/11/2014 6:43:31 PM
Fuck
 bobby_z_man
Msg: 113
Posted: 11/12/2014 5:05:01 AM
He didn't stay around long after that last post!

I wonder if he deleted his own profile or if admin deleted it for posts like that? While there are still no moderators there is still the ability to report users for forum abuse. Bet ya that is what got him, but no way to tell any more.

If people start to speculate that it was a new moderator I have to say in advance that I doubt it was some new mystery moderator since they would have also deleted the post(s) from him. Also, it was not reported in the report thread.
 DragonBits
Msg: 114
Posted: 11/12/2014 5:14:31 AM

If people start to speculate that it was a new moderator I have to say in advance that I doubt it was some new mystery moderator since they would have also deleted the post(s) from him.

Who was that masked moderator?

Maybe they are the lone moderator.
 bobby_z_man
Msg: 115
Posted: 11/12/2014 5:58:38 AM
I think I heard a man named "Grand Torino", who wears a feather in his hair, call him "Kemo Sloppy" or something.
 ladyc4
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/12/2014 9:09:25 AM
bobby
I think you are mixing up your media characters. Just an observation.
Cindy O
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 117
Posted: 11/29/2014 7:43:14 AM
I always check "myforums" for any new posts and, lately, when I go to read the latest post it isn't there. Same sort of experience as when there were moderators deleting individual posts.

Are there mods again? Or just another POF bug?
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2014 7:56:42 AM
I think there's still auto delete, for those who haven't lost the privilege.
 DragonBits
Msg: 119
Posted: 11/29/2014 8:15:27 AM
I think it was always a bug that when a post is deleted, the poster would still show up as the last post even when the actually post was deleted.

I am of the opinion that there is some low key moderation going on, likely by a paid staffer, but they don't get involved very often. Only delete criminal posts or posts that can cause a problem for POF business. It's only an opinion and it would be difficult to prove.
 AussieNancy
Msg: 120
Posted: 11/29/2014 11:13:55 PM
I'm actually wondering if much at all is happening behind the scenes.

Recently I've reported two users for sexually explicit messages to me and their equally sexually explicit profiles...twice. I don't mean just the language ....I mean REALLY sexually explicit stuff. Nothing has happened. Yes I blocked them...but they both still exist.
Does the "report inappropriate message" matter any more? Also I thought it said something along the lines of "If your profile contains any explicit language..." etc it will be deleted. Seems that doesn't matter anymore either. Not good enough! What's happening here??

Granted, this post is side stepping ........ but it does relate to moderating as a whole.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 121
Posted: 11/30/2014 6:22:45 AM
I have had mix results in reporting. I thought very explicitly sexual (rapey) and abusive and threatening messages would call for automatic deletion. I've reported some users for egregious forum abuse, horrifying profiles, with some success, as I'd imagine that it's considered based on numerous complaints from unique users, as opposed to just my singular complaint -- I think it acts more as a trigger than rather somebody complaining and getting results that way.

When it comes to personal complaints, based on violent, threatening, and sexually abusive messages-- no success at all.
 DragonBits
Msg: 122
Posted: 11/30/2014 6:57:10 AM
^^^

Aren't these two separate issues?

Moderators only have authority over forum use. They don't have any ability to delete profiles or even to see MSGs between users.

Only POF staff can delete profiles.
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 123
Posted: 12/5/2014 10:51:19 AM
WOW!! I didn’t know there was no moderators.!
I took my time to read SOME of the comments, And I decided to summarize the comments/ observations with which I tend to agree.
I hope that the owner Markus read and analyze these comments.

MSG# 6 ..... We are adults and should be able to moderate ourselves

Msg#11..... I don't think moderators are a bad thing but I think they should be changed up...not stay longer than a year for a few reasons - it's a thankless task and mods have "favourites" and lose the FAIRNESS aspect of it all.

Msg 51.... Hopefully they will get some new moderators. I think moderators should be anonymous. And they should be individuals with no real interest in posting. Otherwise there would have to be conflicts of interest from time to time. It's human nature.

Msg58........I think public and active moderators are a two edge sword.IMO they keep the peace but also introduce their own set of problems....No doubt some posters attempt to get other posters into trouble so they can report them and get them banned without they themselves getting into trouble. They "use" the MODs to accomplish this, mostly by knowing what a MOD is sensitive about. It's kind of a long standing game. ......Some newer or male posters are reluctant to complain to a MOD, if they rub the old timer the wrong way they make easier targets. I even think some posters create new profiles without pictures in an attempt to provoke their target into posting something that gets them banned.

Msg 85.......I also think a paid mod needs a strict set of guidelines to follow. It shouldn't matter whether they post or not, but if they choose to then they must stick to the rules, just like the ordinary folk........If they decide to ban then it should be done in a civil manner. And if a post or thread disappears, the reason for it should be obvious and should link to a rule explaining the decision.

I am going to write about my experience in the forums with the moderators:
Here is my story:
I was suspended from the forums for 2 weeks 2 times by the same moderator.
The first time:
The Thread was about his ex-wife who accused him of molesting his children and obviously he said that he was innocent.
I was suspended because I did not agree with op,and expressed him my way of thinking.(yes,not in a nice way)…There were 4 people who ALSO expressed their views in the SAME way as I did, but I was the only one suspended by Ms Allison….Fairness??.... But the worst part is that two days after, the thread was deleted and I was still suspended.
What a moderator with no favouritism should have done in this case?
1- READ and ANALYZE the thread and suspend all those who violated the rules, not just one.

Second suspension by the same lady:
The Thread was about who should pay for dinner.
My comment was that I have never paid when we go out.
Then The moderator put her yellow mark IN THE FORUM,AND ON MY COMMENT, saying that I will be suspended from the forum until I put a clear picture of my face……..I mean,really???... There are thousands of people here who have photos with sunglasses as the primary image, or the photos are taken so far that they cannot be seen clearly,and they have been posting in the forums forever,but I was the only one suspended with that yellow mark on the forums…… Do you think that was correct?...Days later that thread was deleted too..I was still suspended from the forums..

Yes, they have to have rules,and the owner should listen to complaints about the behavior of some moderatos in the forums. And take the necessary steps to change them after a certain amount of complaints.
We are all decent older people who come to this forum to read, laugh (sometimes) and to relax after a heavy day,we should be treated with a little more respect.
The moderator who apply the rules to all equally will have NO problems.
 bobby_z_man
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/5/2014 11:59:50 AM
April, you state that...
I hope that the owner Markus read and analyze these comments.

Markus rarely reads the forums and, when he does, he is very, very unlikely to reply. He is even much, much less likely to respond to suggestions. I see that you recently re-joined. Spend much time back here in the forums and this will become obvious from all of the requests and suggestions that fall on deaf ears.

Also, you quoted from message 58...
from your quote...
.......I also think a paid mod needs a strict set of guidelines to follow.

Without reading back thru the entire thread to check, I don't recall anyone pointing out the error in that statement. The moderators who moderated the forums were uncompensated volunteer (AKA - unpaid) moderators who were members just like the rest of us and not POF staff. The "Events Moderator" is the only paid staff member moderating and only moderates the event forums.

There is a possibility that someone in management is deleting posts and threads when reported thru CSR@pof.com and / or the report user link. There are also a number of user voted off threads in recent months but that is done by the users at large and not by any moderators. When management removes threads or posts they completely disappear without a trace like they never existed.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 125
Posted: 12/5/2014 12:12:12 PM
^^^

Aren't these two separate issues?

Moderators only have authority over forum use. They don't have any ability to delete profiles or even to see MSGs between users.

Only POF staff can delete profiles.

I was referring to both issues ( in response to another poster's issue with reporting in general ) regarding forum abuse and incoming, abusive personal messages that when I report via the person's profile I've received mixed results, between those.

I've only reported forum abuse, once, in the forum report violations thread, just before the moderators went poof. I've had to go to the main profile to report forum abuse and abuse on my personally, after that.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Are there any active moderators?