Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 48
Ebola may just be the saviour of mankind and of Mother EarthPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
1. We, humans, are overpopulating the world.

Highly doubtful. Some locations are simply overcrowded.

3. Some natural and life-sustaining resounces are either not renewable

This is true, but as long as we have plenty of renewable ones, and the technology to harness them , we don't have to worry much.

and some renewable resources -- such as food production -- will not meet demands.

There is not only enough food to feed the entire world population every day, there is more than enough. The food waste on this planet is staggering and disgraceful.

5. The only ways to combat overpopulation are: by restricting birth rates and/ or by attrition. I am talking overpopulation, how to restrict it.

There is no overpopulation to combat. Instead, there is overcrowding, greed, entitlement, and waste.
 Jairakiss
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Ebola may just be the saviour of mankind and of Mother Earth
Posted: 10/29/2014 6:48:36 PM
I think people need to stop worshipping the Earth, the Earth will eventually die out whether global warming is real or not, but the human race doesn't have to.

I'm not sure I believe in overpopulation, every hundred years people say we will all die out cause of overpopulation and nothing close to that ever has happened. I think over population is more just propaganda of a wealthy 1% that want to rule the world and feel people would be easier to manage if there was less of them.
Posted: 10/30/2014 10:47:49 AM
My tire hasn't went flat yet. So It never will.
 Demidar
Msg: 51
Posted: 11/5/2014 6:27:38 PM
Since the optimal population for a planet the size of the earth is two billion , the Ebola would have an awful lot of work to do to eliminate the excess population . We are like a virus the way we infest and kill the earths eco system . I think people will be their own end , no disease needed .
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/5/2014 7:06:19 PM

Since the optimal population for a planet the size of the earth is two billion

Or so says a guy who has been wrong with just about all of his doosday predictions (Paul Ehrlich).
 Walts
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/6/2014 5:31:40 AM

humans are special: there is no other species on earth or in earths history that even comes close to being as adaptable as us

Keep telling yourself that. Humans don't "adapt" to change, THEY ,themselves "change things" to suit THEIR needs. Why we are the dumbest species on this earth. Use, then abuse, then go to the next spot. I always laugh when I hear about how we humans, "manage" fisheries, environmental concerns, etc. As if we can be a replacement to Mother Nature. One day, do you actually think we change a hurricanes path?????
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/6/2014 6:48:15 AM

One day, do you actually think we change a hurricanes path?????

Our actions by direct and indirect can affect everything up to and including the paths of hurricanes.

Every single living thing changes it's enviroment in some way.

How Wolves Change Rivers
Sustainable Human
4:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q
 Walts
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/7/2014 5:51:01 AM

Every single living thing changes it's enviroment in some way.

Actually we are just "part" of the changes. The interaction of all things is what will "change" things. One action will cause an reaction(s). Taught in elementary school biology. But, do you believe we humans can actually "control" the path of a hurricane? Or do you think we will be able to in say 50 years? How about a 100? Will we even be here? We, can't even admit there is such a thing as climate change, though we have some believe that humans are of the highest intellect, which by default they consider themselves "smart". And we know that isn't true.

Or do we?
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/7/2014 6:51:07 AM

Actually we are just "part" of the changes. The interaction of all things is what will "change" things. One action will cause an reaction(s).

That is why I stated that every single living thing changes its environment in some way, ergo we play a part.

Taught in elementary school biology.

Unfortunately in Canada we where not exposed to any biology teachings until Jr High.

But, do you believe we humans can actually "control" the path of a hurricane? Or do you think we will be able to in say 50 years?

No we will not be able to directly control the path of hurricanes, but our actions will indirectly determine the frequency and strength of them.

We, can't even admit there is such a thing as climate change, though we have some believe that humans are of the highest intellect, which by default they consider themselves "smart". And we know that isn't true.

Actually the great thing about science is you only need a consensus from the group of individuals that are experienced and educated enough to determine the result, and that group has overwhelmingly determined that climate change is in fact real and humans play a major role in it.

With regards to the highest intellect, the deck is a bit stacked, seeing as if we are creating the methodology that determines intelligence it goes without saying we would ace our own test.

So we are the smartest animal only in our own minds.
 Demidar
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/7/2014 5:16:30 PM
"Perfect Virus " by Annihilator :)
 DameWrite
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/11/2014 1:19:56 PM
Im not sure if any of you heard of the "batman", an African entrepreneur success story. A private businessman who was collecting bat guana for fertilizer.

It seemed all was going well.

Then his business was coopted by the big wigs and they decided it would be a bright idea to make it easier to collect. A little captivity, a little feeding, a dirty environment, human interaction and wammo...an epidemic.

It seems Hiv, avian flu, mad cow... taught us nothing.
 Natural-_-Being
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2015 12:02:43 PM
You seem yo know all the propragandist historic of Ebola... now if I tell you this ebola is man-made and psycopaths want to use it to reduce populations where they intend you prolly would not believe it until you investigate on the USAMRIID activities like vaccination compaign in this region prior to the epidemic. Its combined with lassa fever and this is airborne. GERMANY gave both plagues to UDAMRiD asking them not to use it together and evolve it as a biowarfare weapon. They never received any answer.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/13/2015 1:53:22 PM

If it kills everyone, Green Earth will become green and viable again.

You're saying that like that's a good route to go. "Hey, mom and dad are disrupting the neighborhood with all their fighting, year after year. One way to stop this is to kill them...". Oh, poison them with a bacteria or virus, sorry. ;)

If Ebola kills not everyone but "everyone but a few thousands, fewer than ten thousand people", then all the problems mankind faces due to overpopulation will be solved easily.

The earth isn't dealing with overpopulation as a whole. It's totally stable in more civilized arenas. In really poor pockets, they breed like flies. You could say ebola can help keep THOSE pockets of over-population down, sure. But ebola would spread to non-overpopulated areas (like the West) if you let it roll out there in Africa. So ebola would not be a good strategy in resolving pockets of isolated over-population in the world.

We, humans, need to be stopped, and allowing ebola to do it to us would be a cheap and easy way.

Wow. You're like, worse than a James Bond villain from the 60s.
 basilisk123
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2015 2:34:56 AM
...for the love of all that is good in this world, you should stop feeding the troll...
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/23/2015 8:59:16 PM

Im not sure if any of you heard of the "batman",

I enjoy reading his comic books.
And watching the tv show.

POW!
SOCK!
WHAM!
 Demidar
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/22/2015 8:08:29 AM
Actually it looks to be religion , not ebola , that will be the next great depopulation event . Will make the crusades look like a walk in the park .
 professora
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Ebola may just be the saviour of ??? are you sick?
Posted: 4/19/2015 6:25:16 PM
Ebola will not wipe out mankind

The Bubonic plague was far more devastating and we are here

BTW- Ebola has life long adverse effects with chronic muscle weakness & more.

Weirdo are born, they live and they ALSO pollute the environment.

We need more people like Mother Teresa, Florence Nightingale, Dr Salk-- the people who want to improve mankind. Not terminate them.
Posted: 4/25/2015 2:48:11 AM
I try to muse over what would be the, or a, savior of mankind. I take a tour through lots of thinking.

And among it all is asking "savior from what?" in order to answer other questions.

But anywho...I'm thinking for the moment that we need to somehow allow the individual to have more of an effect, or group-entities to have less. And for those individual's voices to be less subjective, and more informed and mature.

The group-entity is the individuals? Yea, true. But I'm referring to when the group-entity has a will of it's own, and instead of reflecting informed attitudes of the individuals, it does it's own thing and carries them along.

And then...anytime I comment on things in this area, I have to add something like - in this case, when we're talking about saving humans, what about saving everything else from us?
 gingerosity
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2015 4:49:27 AM

But anywho...I'm thinking for the moment that we need to somehow allow the individual to have more of an effect, or group-entities to have less. And for those individual's voices to be less subjective, and more informed and mature.

This is the organising principle of anarcho-capitalism. Trouble is, the subjective, uninformed and immature may well persist indefinitely. Encouraging objectivity, education and maturity is a worthy pursuit in any case, so there is no harm in doing that regardless of a political aspect.

And then...anytime I comment on things in this area, I have to add something like - in this case, when we're talking about saving humans, what about saving everything else from us?

This is the organising principle of environmentalism. Trouble is, most people can hardly be bothered to care for their neighbours, let alone other species. Encouraging responsibility and compassion is a worthy pursuit in any case, so there is no harm in doing that regardless of a political aspect.

The moral of the story is to do what is virtuous, to learn and encourage enlightenment in others and to let the outcome be what is chosen by those descendents who will be collectively more informed and enlightened than are we. This is how society progresses, and not through the systems and puppets of power and privilege, nor through working out in advance what is the best and only way to do things.
 cold_coffee
Msg: 67
Posted: 4/26/2015 11:33:59 PM
The population of Africa is only a billion and they can all live on less than a dollar a day.
 MoonCanvas
Msg: 68
Posted: 6/11/2015 10:45:09 PM

Its killed pple in W African countries because of very poor healthcare and sanitary conditions

Ah, evolution before our very eyes.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >