Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Which state will be the last to legalize gay marriage?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scareymush
Msg: 101
Which state will be the last to legalize gay marriage?Page 5 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

This is a tired argument. If one is a racist and is called a racist then the person calling the racist a racist must be a racist too. What bullshyte! So it follows that when a bigot is called a bigot then the person calling a bigot out must be a bigot as well. Well, if intolerance of homophobic bigotry makes me bigot who is intolerant of homophobic bigotry, then call me a bigot. I'll wear the badge proudly.

Actually....it has been said many a time and studies have been done which suggest that those who are virulently homophobic (many amongst their number at least) are actually gay people who are in denial of their own sexual orientation....so there to all the more aggressive homophobes posting on this thread!
 _babblefish
Msg: 102
Which state will be the last to legalize gay marriage?
Posted: 4/30/2015 10:37:49 AM

"What they (bigots) will never get is that their hate is affecting positive change. When we're unaware of what people have to deal with they frequently suffer in silence. When bigots go after them, loud and publicly, good people come to their defense. Soon the downtrodden are empowered.

I don't care for bigots but I thank them for being so offensive that they force the world to change for the better"
 high-ground
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2015 11:55:25 AM
For those living in Canada is the following true, false, or somewhere in between ?

n Canada, freedoms of speech, press, religion, and association have suffered greatly due to government pressure. The debate over same-sex marriage that is taking place in the United States could not legally exist in Canada today. Because of legal restrictions on speech, if you say or write anything considered “homophobic” (including, by definition, anything questioning same-sex marriage), you could face discipline, termination of employment, or prosecution by the government.

My source of info is from this article for those who want to read it all.

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/04/14899/
 scareymush
Msg: 104
Posted: 4/30/2015 12:35:21 PM
Msg 110

I don't care for bigots but I thank them for being so offensive that they force the world to change for the better

What utter crap...the only stuff bigots are useful for is driving things even further underground than before due to the insane bitterness, inexplicable anger, lack of humanity, lack of rationality - pure unadulterated craziness - in other words what they spew forth, otherwise there is no use for them - they are the cause of humanity's delayed development - they are the preventative rather than the cure. There is nothing good about bigotry at all or ever.

Msg. 111 - I think the Canucks may have the right idea.....why not make it against the law of the land to be hateful ?
 chameleonf
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/30/2015 12:45:18 PM
In Canada you can debate whatever you wish. We have freedom of speech. Of more importance, what we have is freedom FROM hate speech which is designed to be vicious and dehumanizing and which is entirely different from civilized debate. The Canadian Human Rights Act prohibits DISCRIMINATION based on "race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability and conviction for which a pardon has been granted." Each province also has it's own set of legislation dealing with human rights.

I disagree with a number of statements made in the article posted by the writer in the link to "The Public Discourse" but I'm not interested in debating about an article written by an individual who doesn't get basic facts straight before posting. If they can't get the above straight, much of the rest of what they have to say becomes less believable objectively as a whole and is more a subjective personal opinion - not fact.
 high-ground
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2015 12:54:35 PM
Chameleonf

So you can openly debate same-sex marriage in Canada without consequences, providing you keep the debate or written wording civil.
 chameleonf
Msg: 107
Posted: 4/30/2015 1:20:22 PM

So you can openly debate same-sex marriage in Canada without consequences, providing you keep the debate or written wording civil.

Correct - we can't promote hate and discrimination within a debate in a manner that will cause or promote (real) harm to an individual or group. For the writer of the article you provided a link to to say that in Canada we couldn't even have this debate that is taking place in the United States is ludicrous. At that, in order for charges to be laid, a case proven before the governing body - it's not a case of speech police hiding around every corner and people being thrown in jail or receiving fines left, right and centre, at the drop of a hat.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 108
Posted: 4/30/2015 2:05:54 PM

Not once did I see a boar mount another boar. Maybe it does happen, but I never saw it. I guess if it does happen then it would be an extremely unique and bizarre occasion. Funny, even the swine know better.

Or maybe, as a kid, you did insufficient research?

Male giraffes have been observed to engage in remarkably high frequencies of homosexual behavior. After aggressive "necking", it is common for two male giraffes to caress and court each other, leading up to mounting and climax. Such interactions between males have been found to be more frequent than heterosexual coupling.[82] In one study, up to 94% of observed mounting incidents took place between two males. The proportion of same sex activities varied between 30 and 75%, and at any given time one in twenty males were engaged in non-combative necking behavior with another male. Only 1% of same-sex mounting incidents occurred between females.[83]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

Obviously, a species' survival is NOT dependent on the percent of gays. Some animals seem to do better with gay parents (vide: black swans).
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2015 2:59:23 PM
I for one found the details of the Garda Representative Associations comments very interesting.

Thank you Mush.

Rob, you said you have not said you are superior. That is a matter we agree on.

I cannot see why the good people of America, Ireland or anywhere else, would not want equality for all, it seems to make common sense to me and not just on the matter of homosexuality, but everything, including health care. I guess there is another thread on here regarding that.

Rob, I was born of straight bikers:

Think on..... maybe one or more of your kids are gay too.....

PPS Can I be an adulterer if I am not married ...etc

PPPS My cat and dog are not people Rob, keep taking the meds chuck...
 scareymush
Msg: 110
Posted: 4/30/2015 4:01:12 PM

I for one found the details of the Garda Representative Associations comments very interesting.

Thank you Mush.

Yes, what I posted was more for your attention than any of the other posters on here. I'm aware the awful, painful, destructive argument being laid on this thread against same sex marriage...is not actually a constructive thing, primarily because those who profess to being 'anti' and those who profess to being 'pro' are merely exercising some sort of battle of wills as opposed to being actually genuine, right and honest.....you will have observed that our contributions to this thread have been completely ignored......

C'est leve.....did you know that GRA (as in the Garda Representative Association....that Acronym, GRA when translated from the Irish Language means 'Love'

Anyway....I told my wayward son about the GRA's position on same sex marriage and equality...he's a boy who hasn't experienced the best of the local police and he basically laughed his head off àt an institution he considers hugely flawed and who are quite judgemental when it comes to how they exact justice....snobbery is rife in Ireland...and if you come from a certain strata or socio-economic demographic, you can be guaranteed that you willl be treated quite differently....my son is so cynical and I agree with him as it happens...but nonetheless it's pretty cool that the GRA are making this particular representation....long may this desire for inclusion for all live !!!

woobytoodsday
Msg: 111
Posted: 4/30/2015 10:14:24 PM

Abstract

The authors investigated the role of homosexual arousal in exclusively heterosexual men who admitted negative affect toward homosexual individuals. Participants consisted of a group of homophobic men (n = 35) and a group of nonhomophobic men (n = 29); they were assigned to groups on the basis of their scores on the Index of Homophobia (W. W. Hudson & W. A. Ricketts, 1980). The men were exposed to sexually explicit erotic stimuli consisting of heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian videotapes, and changes in penile circumference were monitored. They also completed an Aggression Questionnaire (A. H. Buss & M. Perry, 1992). Both groups exhibited increases in penile circumference to the heterosexual and female homosexual videos. Only the homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. The groups did not differ in aggression. Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8772014

Love science.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2015 10:17:38 PM

For those living in Canada is the following true, false, or somewhere in between ?

That article is about as accurate regarding same sex marriage or homosexual rights as what comments about death panels were in relation to the Canadian health system a few years ago. In other words .... categorically FALSE.
 robaustralia
Msg: 113
Posted: 5/1/2015 3:32:06 PM

Male giraffes have been observed to engage in remarkably high frequencies of homosexual behavior. After aggressive "necking", it is common for two male giraffes to caress and court each other, leading up to mounting and climax. Such interactions between males have been found to be more frequent than heterosexual coupling.[82] In one study, up to 94% of observed mounting incidents took place between two males. The proportion of same sex activities varied between 30 and 75%, and at any given time one in twenty males were engaged in non-combative necking behavior with another male. Only 1% of same-sex mounting incidents occurred between females.[83]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

Obviously, a species' survival is NOT dependent on the percent of gays. Some animals seem to do better with gay parents (vide: black swans)

That is really funny how gays like yourself bring up that because homosexuality has been witnessed in the animal kingdom it must be normal behaviour for humans as well.

Some animals eat each other, eat their young , eat other animals live and some even eat their own shit. Shall we equate that behaviour as normal for humans as well?

Because about 5% of the population is gay means they don't conform to normality, which means they don't realise they have a mental disorder.

It's just like how crazy people don't realise they are crazy, that's why they are crazy.
 daynadaze
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2015 4:19:20 PM
No rob, it gets brought up because that is one of the big things used against being gay, that it doesn't happen in animals so it must not be right. Well it does happen in animals, so now they anti-gay have backed away from using it. And now I see you have tried to switch it up, which won't work.
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2015 4:23:42 PM
Forumreaderisall

Thank you for your blessing, I will.....

Mush.

That is ace (the love thing/GRA)!

I had heard about the snobbery in ROI and have heard the accents of some Irish folk who sound more plummy than QEII. I think my friend from County Cork used to talk of the AngloIrish and have always thought the plummy speakers to be those.

Any idea of the percentages for and against in Ireland for the gay marriage referendum at present?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 116
Posted: 5/1/2015 7:47:01 PM

That is really funny how gays like yourself bring up that because homosexuality has been witnessed in the animal kingdom it must be normal behaviour for humans as well.

Na, it was a homophobe who brought up that since he'd never seen boars doing each other, then gays must be somehow odd. I was just doin' his research for him.

Wouldn't mind being gay, in the sense that I don't believe there is one thing wrong with it; glad I'm not, because of the way they've been treated.

And just out of curiosity--if humans don't belong to the animal kingdom, which do they belong to? The Vegetable Kingdom? The Mineral Kingdom?
 gingerosity
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2015 7:49:40 PM

if humans don't belong to the animal kingdom, which do they belong to? The Vegetable Kingdom?

Depends which human we're talking about...
 scareymush
Msg: 118
Posted: 5/2/2015 7:27:18 AM
Msg 122

they are the cause of humanity's delayed development - they are the preventative rather than the cure.

What you deem development I deem decay. What shall we approve of next to make mankind more accepting and better? Some people are into bestiality, shall we make that lawful too? Why are we depriving them of their wishes? After all, that doesn't hurt anybody. Live and let live.

I am unsure as to whether to take your comments seriously or not - Should I trust that you believe what you are writing then I think that your mind is quite warped....and I feel terribly sad for you.

If you can't distinguish between love and a need to control and dominate a vulnerable being for sexual gratification or some other more perverse reason even, then you are stupid beyond belief and incredibly, tragically ignorant.

Nottinghamfellow,

Any idea of the percentages for and against in Ireland for the gay marriage referendum at present?

I'm not sure, but I believe that public opinion weighs heavily on the side of the yes vote. Actually I've just had a young woman call to the door, she was canvassing for a yes vote and giving advice on how to register to vote....I asked her how things were going for her, she said she was getting a very positive reception from the people who's houses she was knocking on, that it seems as if everybody so far plans to vote yes to equality.

I do know that yes vote campaigners are adamant that even whilst it seems we are all on the same side and that the referendum will be passed we shouldn't become complacent and everybody should make sure to use their vote....the no side are being ridiculed from a height over here but they still have support from all the people they are scaring the crap out of with fake scientific 'facts' and other such nonesense.

We are voting on the 22nd of May.
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 119
Posted: 5/2/2015 9:39:36 AM
I've not had a chance to read all the responses but I am thinking Utah and the marriage bed of polygamy.

Le Pew
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 120
Posted: 5/2/2015 1:32:18 PM

Skoochie:
Thank for the laugh, btw. I thought it was pretty funny that you said the baker was harmed. Lol!! Did he have to bake a cake? Awe!!! Must have been extremely painful baking a cake. I know cracking an egg can be debilitating. Lol!! Putting icing on a cake is dangerous stuff.

Why don't you bigots just man up and say that you hate gays and feel that you are superior? Just say that you can't stand them. That you want to oppress them with any means possible. I hear the stupid 'I love definitions so much that I get mad if anyone tries to change one'. I heard that gay men can't be in the military because they will try to have sex with everyone. I've heard the 'gays have a mental disorder'. None of this is the real issue. The real issue is the hate that lies in the bigots who tries to oppress a minority. Being hateful is a mental defect in my opinion.

OMG, Did H3ll just freeze over?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 121
Posted: 5/2/2015 6:37:52 PM
Ms Chat--won't be Utah. . . .

Same-sex marriage in Utah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_Utah
Wikipedia
Same-sex marriage has been legally recognized in Utah since December 20, 2013, when the state began issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples as the ...
 daynadaze
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2015 9:00:33 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rebecca-todd-peters/biblical-marriage-is-not-_b_7177464.html

This week's Supreme Court debates about the definition of marriage echo the same debates that have been dominant in communities and states across the country for the past several years. Justice Kennedy, who appears conflicted about where he stands on this issue, expressed his concern about changing a conception of marriage that "has persisted for thousands of years."

In truth, like most social institutions, the institution of marriage has shifted and changed over the years in ways that have strengthened it and made it both more accessible and more just.

200 years ago, we debated whether or not slaves should be allowed to marry. 150 years ago, we debated whether married women should remain their husband's property under the principle of coverture (the principle of two-becoming-one-flesh), or whether women should be regarded as their own persons, with full rights and responsibilities. 47 years ago, we debated whether or not interracial marriages should be legal.

In 1967, the Loving v. Virginia ruling eradicated state laws prohibiting interracial marriage and thus transformed the institution of marriage yet again, in ways that struck down discriminatory state laws in much the same way that a ruling in the current case might do.

That ruling read, in part, "Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man [sic]," fundamental to our very existence and survival . . .To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes . . . is surely to deprive the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law."

Even more recently, we have debated no-fault divorce, marital rape laws, and now marriage equality. In each of these cases where we have debated about the nature of the institution of marriage, we have shifted and expanded our understanding in ways that moved us a little closer toward justice in our society.

But, so often in this debate it is Christianity and the Bible that are brought up as the ultimate weapon in defense of a marriage between one man and one woman. The Genesis text that states that a man shall leave his parents and join with his wife to become one flesh is trotted out as "proof" that God has defined marriage as between one man and one woman.

Unfortunately, these folks must have stopped reading their Bibles at the end of Genesis, chapter two. Even a cursory read of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament demonstrates that marriage was not understood or practiced in any way related to the modern idealism we have superimposed on this text.

Marriage in the Bible was much more about property rights, ensuring paternity of offspring, succession, political alliances and tribal stability than it was about companionship, mutual support and affection as we think of marriage today. The patriarchs of the Jewish and Christian tradition often had sex with multiple women, usually, but not always, for the purpose of procreation. Many of the women in the Bible who were slaves, or servants, or handmaids were reportedly "given" by the legal or primary wife to her husband for the purposes of securing children. The notion of consent, particularly for women, in matters of marriage or sexual intercourse is not a relevant moral norm in most of scripture.

Wives could "give" their female slaves to their husbands for the purpose of sexual intercourse either as co-wives in polygamous marriages or as concubines. Concubines were women engaged in sexual relationships with men whom they did not marry. Both of these practices are commonplace in the Bible. Sarah is reported to have "given" her maid servant, Hagar, to Abraham "as a wife" so that God's promise of offspring could be fulfilled (Gen. 16:3). Other notorious polygamous marriages in the Hebrew Bible include Esau, Moses, Jacob, Gideon, David and Solomon who reportedly had 600 wives and 300 concubines!

Many prominent Biblical patriarachs had concubines, often in addition to their wives. Perhaps the most notorious concubine is the unnamed woman of Judges 19 who belonged to a Levite. She was offered up to a hostile crowd of ruffians to save the Levite man from harm. The crowd gang-raped her and upon returning to their home, the Levite cut her body into twelve pieces and sent the pieces out to the tribes of Israel as a warning of the depravity of the current age. No better example exists of how cultural context defines moral norms than the fact that this passage purports to tell the story of the moral breech of the code of hospitality that resulted in the attack on the Levite rather than the horror of a man offering up his sexual partner (or common-law wife) to be gang-raped all night to the point of death and then to cut her body into pieces to serve as a warning to his kinfolk.

And don't get me started on Jesus' thoughts on marriage! He encouraged people to leave their wives, children, parents and families in order to follow him (Lk 18:28-30); encouraged followers to reject their families (Lk 14:26); and challenged conventional notions of family (Mt 10:34-39, not to mention prohibiting divorce (Mk 10: 10-12).

God protect us from Biblical sexual ethics, Biblical marriages, and Biblical literalists!

The truth of the scripture is in its enduring message of justice and love as moral norms for humankind, marriage equality is surely an fitting expression both of these norms.
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2015 9:49:34 AM
^^^^
Indeed

UTAH

Mush, That's my birthday, so I hope there is a big turnout. Yes if the yes folk get complacent the no's will win the day ;
 deetristate
Msg: 124
Posted: 5/5/2015 4:14:11 AM
Heard in another forum that this was an interesting read.

After reading, I have one question:

Why all the name-calling from the pro-gay side?
 etourdi65
Msg: 125
Posted: 5/5/2015 8:20:51 AM

Being gay isn't an infectious disease that you can catch.
Maybe not, but even those striving to find a genetic link to homosexuality admit that there are environmental and other factors that cause homosexuality.

Which also goes to the heart of this particular thread. Refusing to legalize gay marriage that holds no harm to other individuals in society is bigoted
How to you know it holds no harm? you have scientific evidence to support your claim?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Which state will be the last to legalize gay marriage?