Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Election 2014: Karma is a b!tch      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 1326
Election 2014: Karma is a b!tchPage 54 of 90    (50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90)
Tink, Lol!! Shakespeare is pretty much the *reason* that Shylock is an insult. . . .

The history of Jews as lenders is actually pretty interesting (if horrifying)--Both Christianity and Islam make it a crime to lend money at interest, and Christians and Muslims were forbidden to so engage. So Jews, who were not allowed to own land or farm, took it up as a way of supporting their families and communities. Eventually they acquired rather large pools of cash. The various European Princes discovered that making war was rather costly. and used the Jewish community as a source to finance their little wars on their neighbors. The catch of course, is that loans must be paid back. So to take care of that little problem, the Princes would drum up some pretext to hate the Jews (they ate Christian babies), and go in and destroy the community of the lender and the community itself. Bingo! No more loan. The fairly simple lies became known in the Jewish community as "blood libel." And it continues to the present. Chinese used a version against Christian missionaries (they eat Chinese babies), and we used a version against the Japanese (they bayonet babies). Also against the Iraqis in the first Gulf War--they pull babies out of incubators and toss them on the floor, [ http://www.prwatch.org/books/tsigfy10.html ]

Open disclosure: I have one great grandmother who was Jewish.

BigBadNIrish
Msg: 1327
Election 2014: Karma is a b!tch
Posted: 1/11/2015 12:29:44 PM

The New Republic has been a liberal American magazine of commentary on politics and the arts published since 1914, with major influence on American political and cultural thinking.

He tells us not to watch Fox News then quotes articles from The New Republic, a LIBERAL AND PROGRESSIVE RAG.

Since you don't have a problem with http://www.ssa.gov/legislation/testimony_012412.html then we are in agreement with Carolyn Colvin's number of SSDI being 99.3% fraud free
 tgif111
Msg: 1328
Posted: 1/11/2015 12:54:55 PM
for Scootchie
how do you like my new primary pic? I put a sign on my Italian liquor cart for you. it's aimed at the doubters who think.....well it's hard to tell if Liberals think at all!!!

Since you don't have a problem with http://www.ssa.gov/legislation/testimony_012412.html then we are in agreement with Carolyn Colvin's number of SSDI being 99.3% fraud free

she's the acting commissioner of SSDI. do you think she's going to say anything else? come on man!
I believe her as much as I believe Lois Lerner.

fraud free??? fraud flows in welfare and disability like water through a screen door. everyone knows that.

woobytoodsday
Msg: 1329
Posted: 1/11/2015 1:11:24 PM

It seems... it is "antisemitic" only to those who oh so desperately want it to be...

Think I'm going to have to disagree with you here, Joe. It's certainly not a word that would have been allowed in our house as I was growing up. I love Biden, and I flinch when he does what he does so often. I give him a pass almost always, because I know him, and his works. He's one of god's true innocents--not a mean bone in his body; but he's got no monitor, internal or otherwise.

Here's the wiki:

Influence on antisemitism

Regardless of what Shakespeare's own intentions may have been, the play has been made use of by antisemites throughout the play's history. One must note that the end of the title in the 1619 edition "With the Extreme Cruelty of Shylock the Jew…" must describe how Shylock was viewed by the English public. The Nazis used Shylock for their propaganda.[citation needed] Shortly after Kristallnacht in 1938, The Merchant of Venice was broadcast for propagandistic ends over the German airwaves. Productions of the play followed in Lübeck (1938), Berlin (1940), and elsewhere within Nazi-occupied territory.[14]

The depiction of Jews in the literature of England and other English-speaking countries throughout the centuries bears a strong imprint of The Merchant of Venice's Shylock. With slight variations much of English literature up until the 20th century depicts the Jew as "a monied, cruel, lecherous, avaricious outsider tolerated only because of his golden hoard".[15]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shylock
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 1330
Posted: 1/11/2015 1:39:50 PM
fraud free??? fraud flows in welfare and disability like water through a screen door. everyone knows that.

Only you and another wingnut Darrel Isis Assa know that. Perhaps you have some 3rd party data to back up your...ahem...claim?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 1331
Posted: 1/11/2015 2:04:08 PM
Anyone want to know how *really* conservative/liberal they are? This is a terrific test, and a great site to explore.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

And yeah, I'll fess up: here's mine --> http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-8.75&soc=-7.79
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 1332
Posted: 1/11/2015 2:09:02 PM
Think I'm going to have to disagree with you here, Joe.

Which is fair enough... There are many cases where it has been used to stoke anti-semitism... but you should note "used to"... which is not the same thing as "is"... Some desperately want it to be antisemitic because... they themselves are antisemitic... and want to use it to make a racist statement... some desperately want it to be antisemitic so they can use it... as a hammer...

As I stated earlier... and as your quote below reinforces... whether the character is viewed as antisemitism... is ENTIRELY an artifact of HOW the role is played... As in how the actor/director WANTS Jews to be portrayed...

Influence on antisemitism

Regardless of what Shakespeare's own intentions may have been, the play has been made use of by antisemites throughout the play's history. One must note that the end of the title in the 1619 edition "With the Extreme Cruelty of Shylock the Jew…" must describe how Shylock was viewed by the English public. The Nazis used Shylock for their propaganda.[citation needed] Shortly after Kristallnacht in 1938, The Merchant of Venice was broadcast for propagandistic ends over the German airwaves. Productions of the play followed in Lübeck (1938), Berlin (1940), and elsewhere within Nazi-occupied territory.[14]

The depiction of Jews in the literature of England and other English-speaking countries throughout the centuries bears a strong imprint of The Merchant of Venice's Shylock. With slight variations much of English literature up until the 20th century depicts the Jew as "a monied, cruel, lecherous, avaricious outsider tolerated only because of his golden hoard".[15]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shylock

To which I will add this Wiki quote...

Shylock and modern antisemitism

Shylock and Jessica by Maurycy Gottlieb

The play is frequently staged today, but is potentially troubling to modern audiences due to its central themes, which can easily appear antisemitic. Critics today still continue to argue over the play's stance on antisemitism.

The character's name has become a synonym for loan shark, and as a verb to shylock means to lend money at exorbitant rates. In addition, the phrase "pound of flesh" has also entered the lexicon as slang for a particularly onerous or unpleasant obligation.

The antisemitic reading

English society in the Elizabethan era has been described as antisemitic.[11] English Jews had been expelled in 1290 and were not permitted to return until the rule of Oliver Cromwell. Jews were often presented on the Elizabethan stage in hideous caricature, with hooked noses and bright red wigs, and were usually depicted as avaricious usurers; an example is Christopher Marlowe's play The Jew of Malta, which features a comically wicked Jewish villain called Barabas. They were usually characterized as evil, deceptive, and greedy.

During the 1600s in Venice and in some other places, Jews were required to wear a red hat at all times in public to ensure that they were easily identified. If they did not comply with this rule they could face the death penalty. Jews also had to live in a ghetto protected by Christians, supposedly for their own safety. The Jews were expected to pay their guards.[12]

Readers may see Shakespeare's play as a continuation of this antisemitic tradition. The title page of the Quarto indicates that the play was sometimes known as The Jew of Venice in its day, which suggests that it was seen as similar to Marlowe's The Jew of Malta. One interpretation of the play's structure is that Shakespeare meant to contrast the mercy of the main Christian characters with the vengeful Shylock, who lacks the religious grace to comprehend mercy. Similarly, it is possible that Shakespeare meant Shylock's forced conversion to Christianity to be a "happy ending" for the character, as it 'redeems' Shylock both from his unbelief and his specific sin of wanting to kill Antonio. This reading of the play would certainly fit with the antisemitic trends present in Elizabethan England.

The sympathetic reading

Shylock and Portia (1835) by Thomas Sully

Many modern readers and theatregoers have read the play as a plea for tolerance as Shylock is a sympathetic character. Shylock's 'trial' at the end of the play is a mockery of justice, with Portia acting as a judge when she has no real right to do so. Thus, Shakespeare is not calling into question Shylock's intentions, but the fact that the very people who berated Shylock for being dishonest have had to resort to trickery in order to win. Shakespeare puts one of his most eloquent speeches into the mouth of this "villain":

Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs,
dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with
the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject
to the same diseases, heal'd by the same means,
warm'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer
as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?
If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us,
do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that.
If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility?
Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his
sufferance be by Christian example? Why, revenge.
The villainy you teach me, I will execute,
and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

—Act III, scene I

Alexander Granach, who played Shylock in Germany in the 1920s, writes, "...how does it happen that Shylock's defense becomes an accusation?...The answer must be a perfectly simple one. God and Shakespeare did not create beings of paper, they gave them flesh and blood! Even if the poet did not know Shylock and did not like him, the justice of his genius took the part of his black obstacle [Shylock, the obstacle to the plans of the young lovers] and, out of its prodigal and endless wealth, gave Shylock human greatness and spiritual strength and a great loneliness--things that turn Antonio's gay, singing, sponging, money-borrowing, girl-stealing, marriage-contriving circle into petty idlers and sneak thieves." [13]

It all comes down to how you view Shylock's intent... because Shakespeare never clarifies Shylock's intent as anything other than human...

Just as people in America "use stories" involving black people to "prove" blacks are "inferior/undesirable/naturally criminal"... even when the "story" proves no such thing... It isn't the "story" itself... or the characters within... which is racist... it is the interpretation that is imposed on it through the retelling that is racist or not...

Where do you think they learned this trick...?

Racists have a knack for twisting the most innocent of "stories" into something vile and nasty... but it is not necessarily the story itself which is racist... And it would be impossible to purge every "story" which might be used for a racist purpose... unless writers stop writing, reporters stop reporting and orators stop orating...
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 1333
Posted: 1/11/2015 2:46:00 PM

Racists have a knack for twisting the most innocent of "stories" into something vile and nasty... but it is not necessarily the story itself which is racist... And it would be impossible to purge every "story" which might be used for a racist purpose... unless writers stop writing, reporters stop reporting and orators stop orating...

Troo dat, lol! And alas.
 tgif111
Msg: 1334
Posted: 1/11/2015 3:03:40 PM

Only you and another wingnut Darrel Isis Assa know that. Perhaps you have some 3rd party data to back up your...ahem...claim?

no i'm afraid I do not. I believe it's an opinion. but then how much does any of it it matter on here Mr. Irish?
we all toss out stats and opinions and get stuff from all kinds of various sources and so we here in the forums perform The Never Ending Circle Jerk.

how do you like my picture sign? am I real or as Scootchie thinks i'm 100% fake?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 1335
Posted: 1/11/2015 4:26:43 PM
how do you like my picture sign? am I real or as Scootchie thinks i'm 100% fake?

The problem, Mr. Bomba, is that YOU may not know or care if something is fake or real, but most of the rest of us do. All we know of you is that you wear a toupee and use a tanning bed a lot. And you like the way W's farts smell, and are under the impression that the President has 1,000 balls. And you see, it's stuff like that that makes others not take you very seriously. Last time I dealt with someone as far off base as you, it was an English as a Second Language student. And you've gone a good bit further than he ever did. He was simply under the impression that all American girls would sleep with him, because his American buds claimed they slept with everyone they wished to.

You've mastered the rules of making a comment, and getting it to post. And that's enough for you. It's not nearly enough for the rest of us. Be sure and get us pics of your "hookup" with your busty niece. I'm *sure* you're gonna love Florida. Better hurry, it's gonna be under water pretty soon.

BigBadNIrish
Msg: 1336
Posted: 1/11/2015 4:31:00 PM

no i'm afraid I do not.

Of course you don't.

I believe it's an opinion.

Yep...it's an opinion of the rightwingnuts...so, exactly how did you come up with that bullshyte number of 50% of all claims are fraudulent? I see...it's just another one of your lies that you've admitted to in the past.

Let me throw a few SSDI FACTS at you....64% of all claim are rejected....50% of all accepted claim are investigated...the public (YOU) are encouraged to report suspected fraud...of course that would mean ratting out your teaparty brethren.

does any of it it matter

Yep....because you and the rest of the uneducated teaparty masses believe the bullshyte Assa and FOX Entertainment spew.

how do you like my picture

At first I thought you looked drunk...then I saw the sign leaning against all your booze bottles on the table and I knew you were hammered.
 tgif111
Msg: 1337
Posted: 1/11/2015 4:35:02 PM
the hair's 100% mine (don't know what else to do with it but comb it back)and I used to own a tanning salon and I enjoy tanning at planet fitness. it feels good and I don't like the pasty look.

do you really think I care if you take me seriously or not? I mean really?

i'm all about that party

when I get to Florida I will put politics behind me and just live la vida loca.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 1338
Posted: 1/11/2015 4:47:34 PM

At first I thought you looked drunk...then I saw the sign leaning against all your booze bottles on the table and I knew you were hammered.

Oh... but Irish... It isn't a "table"... It's an Italian Liquor Cart... Haven't you been keeping up with the "I'm not small" braggadocio...?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 1339
Posted: 1/11/2015 4:50:04 PM

the hair's 100% mine

So's the empty space under it...and all 5'4" of the rest

don't know what else to do with it but comb it back

You stilll look plastered

I used to own a tanning salon

You and Boehner...the tan bed and drunk look...orange is the new black

do you really think I care if you take me seriously or not?

Where's all that self-pride and honor you were spouting about willing to go fist to cuff for the honor of self and family? I see- Just another empty teapuppet mouthpiece

i'm all about that party

I think you've had enough tonight

when I get to Florida

I hope you're not driving
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 1340
Posted: 1/11/2015 4:52:55 PM
I wonder what happened in the last year that made some of the Posters in this & other OT threads change? We have the ones who have always had a Nasty Temperament on here and in other parts of the Forums. But Few Posters have had a real change in their Temperament & it shows in their Posts. They seemed to be helpful in their replies in other parts of the Forums, before. But now they just spew their venom in OT....
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 1341
Posted: 1/11/2015 4:56:24 PM
All sorts of flexible, diverse, accepting, and inclusive people here! LOL.
 tgif111
Msg: 1342
Posted: 1/11/2015 4:56:56 PM
HEY MUNGO,
DID YOU SEE MY ITALIAN WATER FOUNTAIN IN THE VICTORIAN LIVING ROOM AS WELL???

here's an example of how this thread and many others are a circle jerk. WE CAN GO BACK AND FORTH FOREVER....

from cbs news a lib org.....

WASHINGTON |Social Security is approving disability benefits at strikingly high rates for people whose claims were rejected by field offices or state agencies, according to House investigators. Compounding the situation, the agency often fails to do required follow-up reviews months or years later to make sure people are still disabled.

did you read that Irish? yes they rejected them AND THEN THEY APPROVED THEM so I was right

Claims for benefits have increased by 25 percent since 2007, pushing the fund that supports the disability program to the brink of insolvency, which could mean reduced benefits. Social Security officials say the primary driver of the increase is demographic, mainly a surge in baby boomers who are more prone to disability as they age but are not quite old enough to qualify for retirement benefits.

The disability program has been swamped by benefit claims since the recession hit a few years ago. Last year, 3.2 million people applied for Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income.

In addition, however, management problems "lead to misspending" and add to the financial ills of the program, investigators from the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee say.

awww the lady who leads the ssdi did some "misspending" Irish!!!aww

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/house-probe-cries-foul-on-social-security-disability-claims/
 tgif111
Msg: 1343
Posted: 1/11/2015 5:09:48 PM

From Carolyn Colvin (head of ssdi) before the House Ways and Means Committee:

Overall, our SSDI payments are highly accurate. Our most recent data show that, in FY 2010, 99.3 percent of all SSDI payments were free of an overpayment

between her and Lois Lerner the Libs have some real liars, just like YOU Irish.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 1344
Posted: 1/11/2015 5:27:51 PM
HEY MUNGO,
DID YOU SEE MY ITALIAN WATER FOUNTAIN IN THE VICTORIAN LIVING ROOM AS WELL???

here's an example of how this thread and many others are a circle jerk. WE CAN GO BACK AND FORTH FOREVER....

The only problem with that is... you are the only one masturbating here... No-one else seems to feel the need to point out "how big they are" (except... maybe... Becky)... in response to a shot or two... No-one else is spamming the thread with selfagrandizing egotism... in a desperate attempt to make up for their "short comings"...

I'm just pointing it out... you keep coming back to the masturbatory self-inflation... with... an incestuous freak show... for the cherry on top...

Oh... and... Do you realize you forgot to mention the "bejeweled window dressings"...?

You do know that "short man syndrome" is self-inflicted... don't you...?

am I real or as Scootchie thinks i'm 100% fake?

Brown Shoes Don't Make It comes to mind... instantly... after the little freak show you put on earlier...

I won't bother to sing the lyrics for you... some would be thoroughly offended by the subject matter... even if it was from 1966... but it fits you like an old shoe...
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 1345
Posted: 1/11/2015 5:30:05 PM

Last year, 3.2 million people applied for Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income.

FOX Entertainment got the numbers wrong again:

From http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/dibStat.html

in 2013 (the last year for actual Social Security statistics) there were 2,640,100 claims (steadily down from the height in 2010 of 2,935,798 claims) were filed of which 884,894 were approved (steadily down from the height in 2010 of 1,052,551 claims approved) .

I'd comment on the rest of the post but it just looks like drunken rambling...i.e. quoting yourself and posting the article like it were your thoughts
 tgif111
Msg: 1346
Posted: 1/11/2015 5:36:32 PM

I'd comment on the rest of the post but..

Last year, 3.2 million people applied for Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income.

it's from YOUR people ---CBS NEWS fool!!
that is their numbers. it has NOTHING to do with Fox you drunken besotted jackass! put the dope pipe down too.

so do you admit defeat you lying seditious traitor???
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 1347
Posted: 1/11/2015 5:57:29 PM

Ahhhh...I see the error of your drunken ways...the article you cherry picked included SSI which isn't funded from the Social Security Trust Fund and provides stipends to low-income people who are either aged (65 or older), blind, or disabled

lying seditious traitor

The old teabagger childish argument of "I'm rubber you're glue"...do you ever have an original thought?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 1348
Posted: 1/11/2015 6:19:16 PM

You would never know it from looking at Miami today. Rivers of money are flowing in from Latin America, Europe and beyond, new upscale shopping malls are opening, and the skyline is crowded with construction cranes. But the unavoidable truth is that sea levels are rising and Miami is on its way to becoming an American Atlantis. It may be another century before the city is completely underwater (though some more-pessimistic­ scientists predict it could be much sooner), but life in the vibrant metropolis of 5.5 million people will begin to dissolve much quicker, most likely within a few decades. The rising waters will destroy Miami slowly, by seeping into wiring, roads, building foundations and drinking-water supplies – and quickly, by increasing the destructive power of hurricanes. "Miami, as we know it today, is doomed," says Harold Wanless, the chairman of the department of geological sciences at the University of Miami. "It's not a question of if. It's a question of when."

Sea-level rise is not a hypothetical disaster. It is a physical fact of life on a warming planet, the basic dynamics of which even a child can understand: Heat melts ice. Since the 1920s, the global average sea level has risen about nine inches, mostly from the thermal expansion of the ocean water. But thanks to our 200-year-long fossil-fuel binge, the great ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica are starting to melt rapidly now, causing the rate of sea-level rise to grow exponentially. The latest research, including an assessment by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, suggests that sea level could rise more than six feet by the end of the century. James Hansen, the godfather of global-warming science, has argued that it could increase as high as 16 feet by then – and Wanless believes that it could continue rising a foot each decade after that. "With six feet of sea-level rise, South Florida is toast," says Tom Gustafson, a former Florida speaker of the House and a climate-change-policy advocate. Even if we cut carbon pollution overnight, it won't save us. Ohio State glaciologist Jason Box has said he believes we already have 70 feet of sea-level rise baked into the system.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-the-city-of-miami-is-doomed-to-drown-20130620#ixzz2X0NGzxLY
http://www.hairtx.com/celebrity-hair-transplant/steve-van-zandt-the-sopranos-and-his-hairpiece/
From link above (those nasty libruls at CBS, lol!)
"We have completed every CDR funded by Congress, but our administrative budget has been significantly reduced, resulting in three straight years of funding levels nearly a billion dollars below the president's budget requests," Hinkle said. "As a result, we have lost more than 10,000 employees since the beginning of (fiscal year) 2011. We currently have a backlog of 1.3 million CDRs, which we would be able to address with adequate, dedicated program integrity funding from Congress."

So, the Republicans scream not enough Security at Benghazi? Who cut the budget for Embassy Security?
So, the Republicans scream Ebola's gonna getchu!! Who cut the budget for the CDC?
So, the Republicans scream too many peeps get SSDI!! Who cut the budget for review?
Blue-Eyes, maybe what's happened is that the deliberate trubble makers aren't banned now? There are times I feel personally pecked to death by pygmies. . . . Mr. Bomba doesn't wish to join, doesn't wish conversation, brings nothing in his picnic basket. Nearly as I can tell, enjoys being a flea.

calguy14
Msg: 1349
Posted: 1/11/2015 6:22:13 PM
@wooby #1459
You're getting a better look at your liberal buds up north eh?I guess Joe never studied any Shakespeare.....his response was no surprise at all.Young Trudeau has a Palestinian right hand man and his father admired Hitler and Mussolini.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 1350
Posted: 1/11/2015 7:39:32 PM
On a peaceful Sunday afternoon today, at least 3.7 million people, including many world leaders, marched in anti-terrorism rallies in Paris and elsewhere in France to recognize the seventeen innocents murdered by Islamist terrorists. From reports widely publicized, it was the largest gathering in France's capital in their entire national history.

World leaders from all around the globe joined French President Francois Hollande.
British Prime Minister David Cameron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy were all in attendance. Even two very, very, very unlikely people were joined together to show unity against this menace: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

Q: So where was President Barack Hussein Obama you ask?
A: Not there. President Obama is tone deaf on how to be a world leader.

Q: Well, he must have sent Vice President Joseph Robinette Biden to represent our country, right?
A: Nope. Vice President Biden's calendar must have been totally booked.

Q: OK, OK, OK. This was surely a job for Secretary of State John Forbes Kerry?
A: Negative. He was not there either.

One can just imagine how the United States is viewed thanks to the gracelessness of President Barack Hussein Obama. This is a pivotal time for the world and everyone looks to France and the French people to show them our sincere sympathy. Well, pretty much everyone except for our leaders in the very highest offices of our nation. Shame on them.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Election 2014: Karma is a b!tch