Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Election 2014: Karma is a b!tch      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 1526
Election 2014: Karma is a b!tchPage 62 of 90    (50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90)

The tax also hasn't cut down on the demand for tanning, according to one study.

A full 78% of the salon owners polled reported that their clients did not seem to care about the tax, according to a study conducted by Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine.

That "may indicate that the demand for indoor tanning services is somewhat inelastic and perhaps insensitive to a 10% tax level," according to a paper that the study's researchers published in the Archives of Dermatology.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/28/pf/taxes/tanning-tax/

Considering how toxic tanning beds are, perhaps they should simply be banned as a good health practice. I guess the one good thing about melanoma is that it isn't really an expensive illness. It's so fast and virulent, the victims don't stay around a long time to cost the healthcare system a lot of money. Good and beloved friend fell in love with the Love of her Life. They had two years before he was diagnosed. Diagnosed in April, dead in June. Hardly time to catch one's breath.

BigBadNIrish
Msg: 1527
Election 2014: Karma is a b!tch
Posted: 1/15/2015 11:37:58 AM

the gyms found the loophole and DID NOT HAVE TO PAY THE TAX because they wrote it up in their books as fitness.

No wonder you had to sell the business...you don't know the tax code...

A GYM cannot offer tier memberships that include tanning for an additional fee, and cannot offer tanning to the general public...so, if a GYM wants to offer free tanning to its members...

An example used by the IRS to explain the tax:

“Payments to qualified physical fitness facilities. P operates a full service gym facility that offers fitness classes, multiple exercise machines (such as treadmills, stationary bicycles, weight training machines, and free weights), and has as its predominant business providing these facilities, equipment, and services to members for purposes of exercise and physical fitness.

P provides its members with access to indoor tanning services, comprised of two tanning beds that meet the definition of indoor tanning services. P generally charges its members a fee for monthly usage of its facilities, equipment, and services, but also offers short-term or free trial memberships and allows non-members to purchase individual or a series of exercise classes. P does not charge any fee for the indoor tanning services, does not offer indoor tanning services separately from its other services, and has no membership tier or category that differs from others based on access to the indoor tanning services. P holds itself out to the public through advertising and marketing as providing equipment and services to improve physical fitness. On July 1, 2013, A pays a membership fee to P in return for use of P’s facility during the month of July. Under paragraph (d)(4) of this section, no portion of A’s membership fee payment is treated as a payment made for indoor tanning services, because A is a qualified physical fitness facility.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 1528
Posted: 1/15/2015 12:11:36 PM

Full List of Obama Tax Hikes

1. A 156 percent increase in the federal excise tax on tobacco: On February 4, 2009, just sixteen days into his Administration, Obama signed into law a 156 percent increase in the federal excise tax on tobacco, a hike of 61 cents per pack. The median income of smokers is just over $36,000 per year.

http://www.atr.org/full-list-ACA-tax-hikes-a6996

It would appear that some of the vice taxed whine more than others, lol!

Funding S-CHIP with Federal Cigarette Tax Increase is Poor ...
taxfoundation.org/.../funding-s-chip-federal-cigarette-tax...
Tax Foundation
Jan 15, 2009 - Cigarette Taxes Are the Most Anti-Poor Method of Funding S-CHIP ... Groups like Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids lobby for cigarette tax hikes, ...

And I'm waiting for the day they come for you beer drinkers and chips and pretzel peeps. . . .

_mungojoe_
Msg: 1529
Posted: 1/15/2015 2:09:57 PM

No wonder you had to sell the business...you don't know the tax code...

Which is really only the tip of the iceberg... it leads to the question... How the heck can you claim to "know about running a business" when you are clueless about the liabilities of running a business...

Couple that with... contradictory accounts of the same event... and what does it add up to...? A piece of used a$$wipe using lies to attempt to inflate himself beyond his true standing...
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 1530
Posted: 1/15/2015 2:15:04 PM

Which is really only the tip of the iceberg... it leads to the question... How the heck can you claim to "know about running a business" when you are clueless about the liabilities of running a business...

I will take "Sh*t that people lie about on the Internets" for $800 please Alex.
 tgif111
Msg: 1531
Posted: 1/15/2015 2:29:20 PM
I will take "Sh*t that people lie about on the Internets" for $800 please Alex.

and the answer is.....

businesses and statistics that sludge eyed liberal turd burglars try to talk about but have no clue.

what a bunch of losers!
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 1532
Posted: 1/15/2015 3:09:41 PM

businesses and statistics that sludge eyed liberal turd burglars try to talk about but have no clue.

I'm pretty sure that most of us here knew nothing about the gym/tanning loophole" until you misrepresented it. But after going to the IRS web site I can tell you that a GYM that charges, either the general public or it's members, for tanning also pays the 10% tax...otherwise it is a free service. Which means your business model sucked....charging for what another business gives away sounds like a loser business plan:

Exemptions

The tax does not apply to spray-on tanning services, topical creams and lotions or to phototherapy services performed by a licensed medical professional on his or her premises. There is also an exemption for qualified physical fitness facilities” that meet specific criteria and offer tanning as an incidental service to members without a separately identifiable fee.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-%26-Self-Employed/Indoor-Tanning-Services-Tax-Center
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 1533
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2015 3:20:58 PM

Which is really only the tip of the iceberg... it leads to the question... How the heck can you claim to "know about running a business" when you are clueless about the liabilities of running a business.

That explains why 8 out of 10 businesses fail. I think they also thought they knew how to run a business.

Remember that old episode of the Honeymooners?

One example of this would be NYC Stop and Frisk program, as it overwhelming targeted black males.

That is true but I did explain why that is happening. Operation Impact!
The cops are being put in high numbers in the black areas since there is more crime there. Where does this manpower come from?
They put the 1-2 thousand probationary cops ( rookies) in the area standing on every corner with the order (quota) to be aggressive and come in with a few 'stop , question, and frisk reports'(quota) every tour.
Do the math. A few thousand cops who are dedicated to just writing up every violation they see and getting those reports done. Incidental, many buildings are part of a program ,where the landlord signs up for, that asks cops to inspect their buildings. So these rookies are going after these guys they see hanging around the building.

That doesn't take away from the fact that most regular patrol cops stop those who's description come over the radio. There aren't any White people to stop in those areas at night , even if they wanted to.

In most of the white areas there aren't that many people hanging out at night to stop. Call it cultural differences, whatever you want, but they aren't out there. In the projects there are dozens of large groups roaming around.

Again it might be cultural. When I was younger there was more gangs in the white areas. We all had our neighborhood gangs (like west side story) that would cause trouble and fights but I haven't seen them in the last 15 years. Maybe they now all play video games at home. Who knows!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 1534
Posted: 1/15/2015 3:30:41 PM
Maya--Thanks for the Piketty reference: got him on my wish list now. And yes, looks pretty much like what I was talking about.

Shmoopy--plenty of people here could and/or have run businesses, myself included. (Though being a craftsperson is a pretty dicey/low pay type bidness.) Don't know why that would surprise you--you think it only comes with Republican genes?

I did note that after crowing last week that Obama hadn't broken 50% on his approval ratings, that now that he has--crickets.

And this!

“Recycled.” Not the “new blood” the GOP needs. A man who “had his shot.”
A Republican backlash against Mitt Romney that had been simmering for days boiled over on Wednesday as conservatives across the GOP spectrum panned the prospect of another presidential bid by the former Massachusetts governor and two-time loser on the national stage.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/mitt-romney-backlash-2016-elections-114275.html
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 1535
Posted: 1/15/2015 5:18:57 PM

Again it might be cultural. When I was younger there was more gangs in the white areas. We all had our neighborhood gangs (like west side story) that would cause trouble and fights but I haven't seen them in the last 15 years. Maybe they now all play video games at home. Who knows!

At the end of the day, if cops treated white kids at the malls and neighbourhoods like they did the blacks one there would be a revolt of epic proportions.
 cotter
Msg: 1536
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2015 6:12:09 PM
Message 1670 ...

One example of this would be NYC Stop and Frisk program, as it overwhelming targeted black males.

Your answer ... That is true but I did explain why that is happening. Operation Impact!

Etc. .............. Etc. .............. Etc. .............. Etc. .............. Etc. .............. Etc.

What message (post) are you quoting?

Are you sure you're in the right thread?
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 1537
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2015 6:13:43 PM
Right, agreed HFX

Cotter sorry it is part of other thread we are in. But those rookies account for a large % of the stops that seem to be for nothing. I think it is wrong. I was never in impact...thank god.
His statement is in this thread.
 tgif111
Msg: 1538
Posted: 1/15/2015 6:42:09 PM
my tanning business did not fail.

I sold it before it could be affected by planet fitness and anytime fitness.

several of the stand alone tanning salons in town were sold or closed down a year or so right after my sale and after PF and AF gained a foothold.

it was smart business to sell. the lady I sold it to failed. she closed down, sold the beds and a weight loss company took up the space.

I did the very same thing with my apartment buildings. when I saw the handwriting on the wall and profits stagnated and the Youngstown schools closed down I sold them before real estate plummeted.

another smart move on my part.

both of those businesses made me good money over the long haul, especially my North Star Apartments.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 1539
Posted: 1/15/2015 7:48:33 PM
Far away and long ago, just past the turn of the previous century, a man brought home his new bride from Norway to the deserts of Utah. They opened a hotel/boarding house for the miners at the Bingham Copper mine. They were doing well, except for the wife's longing for home. Or at least for something *green* in the landscape. The man looked around, found a farmer in Idaho who wished/was willing to trade his farm for the hotel, so papers were signed. The farmer moved down, and the man and his bride moved to the farm in Idaho, where the woman was very happy because of the mountains, and all the green. Then there was a strike at the copper mine. The miners didn't have enough money to stay at the hotel. The hotel began to fail. The new owner wrote to the man, and told him what was happening. The man after talking it over with his wife and getting her agreement, reversed the trade. They went back to Utah, and the farmer took his farm back. The hotel went broke, and they set off to homestead some place even more remote.

Those were my grandparents. They told, and my father told, that story with pride. It spoke of honor, and not being willing to cheat another and consider oneself "lucky." Or smart.
 tgif111
Msg: 1540
Posted: 1/16/2015 4:51:51 AM
I see where 133 Target stores are closing in Canada.

17,000 employees will be losing their jobs.

Target is a successful and well run store in the USA. they certainly know how to run a business.

yet the story says they struggled to stay profitable.

any explanations? Canadians?
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 1541
Posted: 1/16/2015 6:43:08 AM

any explanations? Canadians?

It clearly was Obama's fault.

and in related news:

Congress Introduced 6 Anti-Abortion Bills In Its First 7 Days

https://www.yahoo.com/health/congress-introduced-6-anti-abortion-bills-in-its-108197168922.html
 tgif111
Msg: 1542
Posted: 1/16/2015 7:06:44 AM

It clearly was Obama's fault

what ISN'T his fault? he's like a germ in your immune system, always causing havoc.
I see he want to spend more money on FREE maternity leave as well as FREE community college tuition.
that doufus can sure spend other people's hard eaned money can't he???

Congress Introduced 6 Anti-Abortion Bills In Its First 7 Days]/quote]

I don't want them to forget about repealing Obama(doesn't)Care. it's a job killer for sure.
 tgif111
Msg: 1543
Posted: 1/16/2015 7:07:38 AM

double post

calguy14
Msg: 1544
Posted: 1/16/2015 7:14:37 AM
Target suffered a major security breach.Management didn't deal with warning signs,so who knows what else they couldn't comprehend .
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 1545
Posted: 1/16/2015 7:16:04 AM
Target - why did it fail? Well, I thought it might work when I heard they were setting up stores but I'd never been in a Target store so I went into one in Palm Springs a couple years ago and my take - another store full of cheap crap.

The Target stores took over the Zeller's store locations here. Zeller's was owned by the Hudson Bay Company and they did well for awhile.....until Walmart. The thinking was "if Zeller's couldn't make it, what makes you think Target will succeed".

The stores seemed to take a long time to convert; the one near me took well over a year to basically change paint. When the stores did open, apparently they had a difficult time filling their shelves and getting product from the Target warehouses in the U.S. this never seemed to get remedied. So the shelves were always half empty, the stores looked bare. What was in the stores was crap, cheap stuff.

The folks that would by at a Target store continued to go to Walmart - everything from groceries to ......you name it, they have it. Target never caught on here plus they couldn't get product but the main reason - the U.S. owners screwed it up with poor business practices just like other businesses that fail. The blame goes to head office and not the store location.

Some U.S. chains work well up here. Victoria Secret finally came here a couple years ago and opened to lineups for days and the stores continue to be successful. Different market.

As to the above about the abortion bills - cool, more stupid men trying to make decisions for women health. They're all fvcktards. Is there not something else more pressing to worry about....falling oil prices, terrorist treats, crazy folks shooting school children????
 tgif111
Msg: 1546
Posted: 1/16/2015 7:58:20 AM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll
Friday Jan 16, 2015

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Friday shows that 48% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Obama's job performance. Fifty percent (50%) disapprove (see trends).

The latest figures include 24% who Strongly Approve of the way Obama is performing as president and 39% who Strongly Disapprove. This gives him a Presidential Approval Index rating of -15.

only 24% of you Liberals strongly approve. I assume many of those are blacks who would say he's doing a great job even if he robbed a convenience store, pushed the clerk and then tried to kill a policeman. the others are those who recently heard of his free tuition and maternity leave bribes. some are the addle brained zombies who want to make dope legal. the rest (here on this thread) are misguided zealots who think that giving everything away for free, killing unborn babies and deriding hard working people who pay for the loafers and pregnant teens is very patriotic. you each contribute to America's downfall and slide.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 1547
Posted: 1/16/2015 8:05:12 AM
Blue you're right about Target Canada's stocking issues:

Cornell also said that "we were unable to find a realistic scenario that would get Target Canada to profitability until at least 2021."

Early fatal flaws in Target's Canadian expansion were too big to overcome as the chain struggled to gain traction in the country, industry analysts say. The company lacked the distribution network it needed to supply stores, leaving shelves inconsistently stocked and disappointing shoppers. And Canadian shoppers who had previously frequented Target's U.S. stores were confused by the pricing disparity between the two countries.

"The expectation of the Canadian shopper was Target's pricing in Canada would mimic pricing in the U.S., and that's not what happened," says Charlie O'Shea, a retail analyst with Moody's. "When that didn't happen, they obviously lost a lot of traction and momentum." He says Target Canada stores didn't price merchandise as competitively as the company's U.S. stores.

Even Target itself admits the Canadian business was plagued with problems. "We tried to do too much, too fast," says spokeswoman Molly Snyder. "We have a lot of operational challenges. From how sharp we are on pricing ... we certainly had supply chain and logistics issues."

Target also overlooked key differences between the U.S. and Canadian markets and couldn't compete with well-established brands that have developed strong loyalty in the country, says Kevin Sterneckert, chief marketing officer of Order Dynamics, a retail software company.

"A major issue in Canada is geography," he says, speaking to how spread out the country is. "The nature of the consumer in Canada changes dramatically depending on what region of Canada you're in."

Both Sterneckert and O'Shea say Target didn't grasp how to cater to the Canadian customer and didn't tailor store assortment to a consumer base influenced by both European and American lifestyles. "It's a much different market than the U.S., and I don't know that people really recognized that," O'Shea says.

So Target Canada lacked a distribution network, couldn't adequately stock shelves, and priced themselves out of the market on the products they did stock...then couldn't see profit until 2021??? Sounds like the GOP was running Target Canada.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 1548
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2015 9:08:29 AM

As to the above about the abortion bills - cool, more stupid men trying to make decisions for women health. They're all fvcktards. Is there not something else more pressing to worry about....falling oil prices, terrorist treats, crazy folks shooting school children????

Preaching to the choir. Gov't shouldn't even get involved in many social issues that it sticks its head in. But the phrase 'stupid men' applies to 'stupid women' as well lol.

Gov't can't solve the larger issues, partly due to the fact they help create the problems. So it is easier to pretend to be working on issues where people are divided so people don't one day wake up and see everything is gone but the kitchen sink!
 cotter
Msg: 1549
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2015 9:21:04 AM
Message 1683 ...
only 24% of you Liberals strongly approve. I assume many of those are blacks who would say he's doing a great job even if he robbed a convenience store, pushed the clerk and then tried to kill a policeman. the others are those who recently heard of his free tuition and maternity leave bribes. some are the addle brained zombies who want to make dope legal. the rest (here on this thread) are misguided zealots who think that giving everything away for free, killing unborn babies and deriding hard working people who pay for the loafers and pregnant teens is very patriotic. you each contribute to America's downfall and slide.
LMAO at his attempt to flame bait ...

Is that all you've got? That's been done before and I can't imagine that anyone cares to take that bait.

I wonder if he's been tanking up on that new stuff called "birch tree sap"? If so, then we all know to stay far, far away from it.
 etourdi65
Msg: 1550
Posted: 1/16/2015 9:33:33 AM
It's ironic that liberals are all about Science when they want to impose their agenda on everyone but when modern science is used to show that babies feel pain at 20 weeks and republicans try to pass a bill to spare the baby the pain liberals are all up in arms..the long running argument was that early stage development babies couldn't feel pain because they weren't really humans yet etc...so aborting them was not inhumane...now that science proves that they feel pain how can these compassionate liberals endorse killing them?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Election 2014: Karma is a b!tch