Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Election 2014: Karma is a b!tch      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 1576
Election 2014: Karma is a b!tchPage 64 of 90    (50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90)
Eric, msg. 1702....so glad you took some time from maturbating to pictures of Palin to make light of my post. I'm so sorry that my typo of "treats" instead of "threats" caused so much confusion in you tiny little brain. You are a little Becky if that's all you've got to whine about.....a typo. Again, a republicant making a mountain out of mole hill.
 aj7125
Msg: 1577
Election 2014: Karma is a b!tch
Posted: 1/16/2015 9:15:04 PM
Kerry shares a "hug" with James Taylor singing "you got a friend". Really? This was a for real thing Kerry did?

James, I still like your song
 tgif111
Msg: 1578
Posted: 1/17/2015 4:17:29 AM
Pootchie said:

Did you want to say something to support your ridiculous claim that we are in a recession? Citing some opinion polls isn't an economic indicator

so I cite this Washington examiner poll taken this week:http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/dive-just-37-percent-approve-of-obama-in-week-marked-by-paris-mia/article/2558727

Poll: Only 1 in 4 buy Team Obama's claim unemployment improving
Most Americans in a new poll believe the unemployment numbers are worse than what the White House claims.

here's what I get out of that. we STILL are in a recession. do you know why?
PERCEPTION IS REALITY. Americans overwhelmingly believe we are still in a recession simply because they believe it. I don't know what else to tell you rose colored glassed cheerleaders for a clown.
he's just not cutting the mustard. people have less money to spend and they are using their CREDIT CARDS TO GET BY. you really have to face it. Hussein has not got the job done.

I'M GOING TO SAY A NICE THING ABOUT OBAMA just to show you i'm being fair to him.
1. I'm pleased as punch that he gave the order for SealTeam 6 to kill Bin Laden
2. I support his use of drones to kill the enemy, even traitorous Americans working overseas with the enemies.

also to be fair that above poll said:
"Democrats, however, continue to hold the edge on the environment and welfare"

but millions of Americans believe we need good paying jobs and the environment is down the list.
and welfare? he throws our money around like it's air molecules. the spending has to slow drastically. he spent more money in 6 years than the country has spent in over 200 years of existence.

only black people, MSNBC people and Harry Reid support this guy.

COME ON, MAN!!! time to get real.
 tgif111
Msg: 1579
Posted: 1/17/2015 5:39:27 AM
incorrect.

what people feel in their hearts is how things are.

we all know the unemployment figures offer a false sense of security. people don't believe them. they know there's tons of people who have simply stopped looking for unemployment and therefore are no longer on the employment radar. they're on welfare. more than any other time in history.

it's reality because employers are not hiring decent paying jobs and they don't want to give raises because the are afraid of another Great Recession and The Great Job Killer Obama(doesn't)Care. the bubble on the stock market may burst at any time.

no my friend, perception is indeed reality and more than 50% of people think America is STILL headed in the wrong direction even in your own polls. plus we're broke.

we need someone who can bring America back from the brink and if I were to feel that a Democrat could do that I would support him/her for president.

we have to think of AMERICA FIRST. not the individual as the golfer in chief thinks. he's still spending money like water.

John McCain had no business running for president. but the alternative was worse. now we're stuck in a big mudhole spinning our tires. the tread is coming off those tires and soon we will be on the rims and hopeless.
 tgif111
Msg: 1580
Posted: 1/17/2015 6:12:31 AM
there has been no job growth. it's all an illusion. people don't believe there is job growth just like you don't believe the poll I cited. there has been no good jobs created. people might get a job at Walmart but there are no new good paying jobs.

let me give you an example of perception.

at 19 years old Nancy neglected a child she was babysitting and the 2 year old fell into the swimming pool and drowned. she was legally punished and now 40 years later she comes to you as a job applicant because you need a babysitter for your child. she says she has experience so you do a background check on her and see that she was convicted of that crime in the past. but her record has been spotless ever since. do you hire her to watch your precious child? of course not. but why??
would you allow a KKK member to watch your child? no, because perception is reality.

we can use the same example with people or races or religions who have a reputation (for instance) for religious radicalism, or drive by shootings or car jackings or violent protests.

PERCEPTION IN MANY PEOPLE'S MINDS IS REALITY.
if a boss thinks times are bad he's not going to hire even if the figures say everything is fine. and they are not hiring for good jobs.
 Orione7
Msg: 1581
Posted: 1/17/2015 6:40:25 AM
^ So you are saying bosses are acting like the republican party these days... deliberately tanking the economy.
Even though stats and polls, the things you swear by say the economy has improved.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 1582
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2015 6:51:00 AM
You, tgif111, are obviously determined to NOT see any job growth.

I wont try to persuade you, since you so obviously want to believe as you do, and wont accept any facts about this.

What you ignore, in order to stay with your desired version of things, is that growth has indeed been very slow. And further, there has been no big new technology or other advance or gimmick, as there has been several times in the past, to cause brand new high paying jobs to come into being. But growth there has been, and it has been measured, and those measurements have been published, and they have been published fairly honestly, in that they do spell out that there has been almost no growth in real wages, since the Republicans ruled the roost back in the early 1980's.

if a boss thinks times are bad he's not going to hire even if the figures say everything is fine. and they are not hiring for good jobs.

This is where you are starting to think extremely well, which is to say, exactly the way I wish more people would think. Specifically, look at things realistically, from the point of view of a real employer. You are correct, no intelligent, sane employer is going to hire someone new, simply because published figures say everything is okay.

But you don't go far enough in your thinking. Put yourself completely in an employers shoes: why does anyone hire people? Quite simply, they do so because they need work to be done. Nothing more or less than that. This is where lots of would-be analysts screw things up. There will be no high paying jobs, if there is no high paid work to be done. Lower taxes doesn't make that happen, nor does cheerful chatter about the mood of the country, and nor does genuine stability in the nations finances.

By the way, be careful about what you do with the notion that "perception is reality." There is truth to be found there, but it's very tricky truth. In a flat out factual way, perception is NOT reality at all. No matter how strong your perception is that the ladder is firmly set against your house before you climb it, if it actually is not so, you will suffer a nasty accident.

Where perceptions do have a powerful effect, is in situations where choices of action have to be made, and where those choices determine the outcome. In markets, if the perception is that we are about to have another downturn, customers' natural response will be to restrain their spending, and preserve their cash. This can CAUSE a downturn, since economic growth depends mostly on spending, and not on investment alone. This is why anyone in an official responsible position, will try to encourage a positive outlook, regardless of the facts. It is also why we see those who wish to TAKE the leadership position away from someone else, will try to encourage a NEGATIVE outlook, in order to try to make their opponents look bad.
 tgif111
Msg: 1583
Posted: 1/17/2015 6:54:34 AM
Igor said
But you don't go far enough in your thinking. Put yourself completely in an employers shoes: why does anyone hire people? Quite simply, they do so because they need work to be done. Nothing more or less than that.

no they are afraid that the effects of Obama(doesn't)Care will offset any help additional employees will make. they are doing with what they have in fear of added expenses.

I said GOOD job growth in regards to decent wage jobs. yes, Walmart is hiring.

it really comes down to this gang.

democrats think times are great and republicans think we are in the tank.

I think we'll be divided in our thinking for the near and perhaps far future.

a house divided cannot stand.

can't wait to get to Florida and try to get my party on.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 1584
Posted: 1/17/2015 7:25:17 AM

what people feel in their hearts is how things are.

PERCEPTION IN MANY PEOPLE'S MINDS IS REALITY.

No... that's called "self delusion"... it's where you conflate your "feelings" about reality with reality itself... it's where "faith" and "belief" overrule "reality" and "fact"...

It is something which American conservatives are... well... known for... around the world...
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 1585
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2015 7:28:12 AM
Well, all I can say is my pension fund sure is liking whatever Pres. Obama has done to the economy.

When Pres. Bush left office the market was so far in the tank it affected many folks ability to retire and their pension plans. Now, the market is up not just higher than when he left office but at record levels.

I think this is a good thing, no matter how you spin it.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 1586
Posted: 1/17/2015 8:07:03 AM
Your economy is picking up. The DOW is higher than ever. Why can't the republicans see that? I can't even imagine where your economy would be if McCain and that idiot Palin had been elected. Good thing the republicans lost those two elections.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 1587
Posted: 1/17/2015 8:14:16 AM

Posted by tgif111:
"...If a boss thinks times are bad he's not going to hire even if the figures say everything is fine.
And they are not hiring for good jobs..."

You are absolutely correct, tgif111.
My employer is a huge global technology firm. It is sitting upon billions (and only hiring new employees at a trickle) because they are concerned with the emerging ObamaCare nightmare. They are stockpiling cash.

How many people here aged mid-40s to mid-60s would be comfortable believing they could secure a *better* job literally overnight...if their current employment suddenly ended for whatever reason? Right now is NOT a healthy jobs environment. A bright example of truly plentiful jobs would be 1998-1999 when they were practically growing on trees. President Clinton was in place during a genuine good time to be an American worker. Fair is fair.

That absurd unemployment rate that Liberals keep tossing around thinking that things are very rosy?
When people exhaust their unemployment benefits they no longer collect and are no longer even counted.
They essentially become "ghosts" in the system. I am sure they are overjoyed with that rarely-discussed jobs reality.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 1588
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2015 8:47:51 AM
^^^ When I hear things like the above post I ask myself a question... "Am I better off today than I was 8 yrs. ago". The answer I consistently come up with is unequivocably... YES.

From now being able to retire, which the previous Presidents economic policies forestalled to simply being able to fill up my vehicles gas tank without having to take out a installment loan.Or maybe, my college age Daughter being able to stay on my Medical coverage until she is 26 yrs. old.Because of this, she avoided a costly emergency appendectomy bill that would have wiped her out financially. Thanks to the ACA .Just three things I can think of immediately but enough to make me vote Democrat consistently. Why? Simple their policies as a whole have bettered me personally and many other folks I know who are in similar circumstances.

Of course, and again this is just my humble opinion formed from experience and seeing how each administration conducted the peoples business. Things may not be "rosy" now but I think overall we're in a better place than 8 yrs. ago....
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 1589
Posted: 1/17/2015 9:14:40 AM

^^^ When I hear things like the above post I ask myself a question... "Am I better off today than I was 8 yrs. ago". The answer I consistently come up with is unequivocably... YES.

Absolutely...

Heck... I lost a home and everything I owned... except the clothes I was wearing... to a house fire... right in the middle of the global recession... I was back to where I started in less than a month... without ever filing an insurance claim (insurance is for when you NEED it... not for convenience)... all out of pocket... without skipping a beat...

If I can do that... why are you guys ****ing and griping...? I'll tell you why... the conservatives of today are spoiled, prissy, self-entitled leeches... "Man up" for a change and take responsibility for yourselves... rather than blaming your misfortunes on liberals who are out-competing you...
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 1590
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2015 9:31:02 AM

That absurd unemployment rate that Liberals keep tossing around thinking that things are very rosy?
When people exhaust their unemployment benefits they no longer collect and are no longer even counted.
They essentially become "ghosts" in the system. I am sure they are overjoyed with that rarely-discussed jobs reality.

Well the rate is true based on how they consider it. It is similar to CPI to measure inflation. One day they might use the price changes of POF membership as the only item calculated in CPI :)

What it doesn't factor is there is a large % of underemployed workers and workers that stopped looking for work. Examples: went back to school, became homemakers, retired early and went on disability.

But I wouldn't blame liberals for this. This is a big wool over peoples eyes around the world right now. Truth is we are in big trouble, so is EU among others. One brings down the other.

Lets see what happens when interest rates rise. They can't artificially suppress it forever. Doesn't help that many have been buying on margin. When that happens I suspect a lot of people will be unhappy with the outcome. While some of us will be sitting pretty(GTOMUSTANG?). There will always be winners and losers no matter whom runs the country.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 1591
Posted: 1/17/2015 9:45:53 AM

Posted by _mungojoe_:
"Heck... I lost a home and everything I owned... except the clothes I was wearing... to a house fire... right in the middle of the global recession... I was back to where I started in less than a month... without ever filing an insurance claim (insurance is for when you NEED it... not for convenience)... all out of pocket... without skipping a beat..."

A fire is a tragic life event. Sorry to learn of it.
We have no idea what kind of assets and possessions were in your home. From what you shared, it sounds like you live modestly. That is fortunate for you that you could replace things quickly. Obviously no family heirlooms were lost.

My home is furnished and decorated with antiques that I personally uncovered in remote areas of southeast Asia, that were then selected by me, packed in a bulk container, and shipped back to the United States. From the time it left port it was more than three months to get to New Jersey, clear customs, and reach my house. My bicycle collection alone is worth a fortune and the waiting list for top custom builders is YEARS if you get on the list today. Many people have a lifetime of items that are irreplaceable.

For those who truly believe the jobs situation of 2015 is similar to 1998 or so, good for you!
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 1592
Posted: 1/17/2015 10:03:41 AM
^^^What an arrogant and egotistical post there Becky. Maybe Joe places a far higher value on life and those IN his life than other folks put on "things" like bicycles and crap. You can replace crap. And those that put the importance on their crap don't fair as well in dire situations like a fire or death. Give me the strong and level headed any day over the wussy folks that think their "crap" defines them.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 1593
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2015 10:08:08 AM

The DOW is higher than ever. Why can't the republicans see that? I can't even imagine where your economy would be if McCain and that idiot Palin had been elected. Good thing the republicans lost those two elections.

Although I am Republican because of finance , elections these days are a choice of one bad candidate vs another candidate.

Voting for Mc Cain, head idiot neo con, would solve our economic problems. We would just need to spend the rest of our days seeking water and food while wearing NBC suits and returning back to the sewers. He seems to suffer from major PTSD. He blames the Russkies for his luxurious stay at the 'Hanoi Hilton' and dreams of payback.

During his campaign Ian Brzezinski was his foreign adviser. Ian is the son of Zbigniew Brzezinski, father of US hegemony geopolitics. Only economy he cars about is the one that increases military spending.
 tgif111
Msg: 1594
Posted: 1/17/2015 10:53:39 AM
doremi,
I think in YOUR particular situation and your daughters plight , most of what happened and the government's actions were good for you. there ARE some circumstances that Obama Care can do nicely with but I believe you are in the minority. if I recall my numbers correctly ACA helped enroll 10 million people but at an ENORMOUS COST. so we went heavily into debt to help 10 million out of a USA population of 350 million. that's kind of like buying a used Dodge Neon for $50,000.

but remember when it was proposed that we invest our retirement in the stock market? people had a hissy fit. would not THAT have been a good thing right now doremi?

adventure joe, I like your thinking. you're a straight shooter.
 cotter
Msg: 1595
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:04:51 AM
Message 1722 ...
at 19 years old Nancy neglected a child she was babysitting and the 2 year old fell into the swimming pool and drowned.

we can use the same example with people or races or religions who have a reputation (for instance) for religious radicalism,
You are promoting the idea that we should discriminate against people of a certain race or religious group based on what a very few are doing. Something is very wrong with that picture.

I know a political movement that does that ... and what you are promoting sounds an awful lot like it. With this particular group, based on the behavior of one family member, they go hunt down and kill every single family member ... from babies to great grandparents.

In that society, if my "wingnut sister" finally lost all her marbles and did some horrific thing, without warning, all of us could be wiped out. My sister and her husband and their children and spouses along with their children (grandchildren and great-grandchildren), me, my children and my grandchildren (perhaps even my ex-husband), the "wingnut" sister who performed the "wingnut" deed, her husband and children and grandchildren, my brother and his wife and children and grandchildren = 51 people die because my sister goes crazy and at that point, it's fully possible we have no idea what the hell she's even up to. All we know is that we are going to be murdered.

If you are insinuating (which many teabaggers and wingnuts do) that we as a nation/people should discriminate against Muslims based on what a few radicalized murderers are up to, you're knocking on the wrong door mister.

I have worked with Muslims (and for that matter all races, colors and creeds) for years and no one is going to convince me that my friends deserve anything but respect from me and anyone else. We all know you have some really out-of-this-world ideas and thoughts, but to promote something like this ... WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Message 1726 ...
can't wait to get to Florida and try to get my party on.
Great! I've lived in Florida and I have a feeling you'll be meeting some folks who think just as you do.

Yep ... you'll fit right in ... especially in the area you described you're moving to.

IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 1596
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:18:38 AM
tgif111:
but remember when it was proposed that we invest our retirement in the stock market? people had a hissy fit. would not THAT have been a good thing right now doremi?

What I do remember very clearly, was that when that WAS proposed, the stock market was artificially high, and within a couple of years it fell profoundly. Had we forced everyone to convert Social Security to the market when it was proposed, the entire generation of people retiring in those years would have been in the poor house.

Fortunately, the market tanked while the idea was being argued. That's why the GOP dropped the idea after.

You wont find me arguing in support of the ACA, though. I thought that was a dumb idea from the start. it would have been far more efficient to just straight up fund medical care for everyone, and a lot less new bureaucracy would be involved. Of course, it would have to go hand in hand with breaking up the medical/insurance/AMA complex.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 1597
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:19:27 AM

My employer is a huge global technology firm. It is sitting upon billions (and only hiring new employees at a trickle) because they are concerned with the emerging ObamaCare nightmare. They are stockpiling cash.

Sorry to hear you got demoted, because last time you owned the company and now you only work for them.

That said, anyone who states a company is stock piling cash that would be used to pay for new employees, does have any understanding the role that employees have in a company.
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 1598
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:43:01 AM

From what you shared, it sounds like you live modestly

Isn't it funny... how you drew that conclusion... immediately after stating...

We have no idea what kind of assets and possessions were in your home.

If you "have no idea"... how can you ever conclude... "sounds like" anything...? Oh... right... it isn't about what you can establisht... it's about what you decide you want to believe...

Obviously no family heirlooms were lost.

Really...?!? And why is that "obvious"...?

Many people have a lifetime of items that are irreplaceable.

I'm not clear on what "irreplaceable" means to you... Does it mean "can't afford a new one"...? or does it mean "memories that cannot be bought"...? Here is a hint for you... only the "can't afford a new one" category has monetary value... If you don't believe me... try to sell something and value it based on "memories that cannot be bought"... see how much that actually affects the price obtained (another hint: only another idiot would pay you a premium... or even a penny... for "your memories")... or better yet... try to get your insurance company to pay out for "memories that can't be bought"...

My home is furnished and decorated with antiques that I personally uncovered in remote areas of southeast Asia, that were then selected by me, packed in a bulk container, and shipped back to the United States.

Translation: you bought a bunch of cheap stuff... while trying to stiff the locals... that you were conned into believing had "antique value"... Obviously... you were oblivious to the scamming that goes on in the "antiques" trade in Asia... North Americans have nothing on them in that regard... some of the best "antique" scammers in the world...

My bicycle collection alone is worth a fortune

You mean... it cost you a fortune... which you can't afford to pay again... out of pocket...

and the waiting list for top custom builders is YEARS if you get on the list today.

So...? what has that got to do with it...? Other than as an excuse to cover for not being able to financially manage the replacement... even with years to save up...
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 1599
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:50:14 AM

and the waiting list for top custom builders is YEARS if you get on the list today.

So...? what has that got to do with it...? Other than as an excuse to cover for not being able to financially manage the replacement... even with years to save up...

I think he is trying to say that the economy is doing so well that construction is max out.

Thanks, Obama.

(Edit for below)
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 1600
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:55:17 AM
^^Think he is talking about custom bike builders! Recreational sport industry must be doing well!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Election 2014: Karma is a b!tch