Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If a woman agrees to a FWB relationship ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 anita_lay
Msg: 76
view profile
History
If a woman agrees to a FWB relationship ...Page 4 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
^^It's an urban myth, dating back to the 1930s..

Dear Quote Investigator: There is a famous story about sex and money that I have heard in myriad variations. A man asks a woman if she would be willing to sleep with him if he pays her an exorbitant sum. She replies affirmatively. He then names a paltry amount and asks if she would still be willing to sleep with him for the revised fee. The woman is greatly offended and replies as follows:

She: What kind of woman do you think I am?

He: We’ve already established that. Now we’re just haggling over the price.

This joke is retold with different famous individuals filling the roles. Often Bernard Shaw is mentioned. Did anything like this ever happen? Who was involved?

Quote Investigator: The role of the character initiating the proposal in this anecdote has been assigned to George Bernard Shaw, Winston Churchill, Groucho Marx, Mark Twain, W.C. Fields, Bertrand Russell, H.G. Wells, Woodrow Wilson and others. However, the earliest example of this basic story found by QI did not spotlight any of the persons just listed. In addition, the punch line was phrased differently.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/03/07/haggling/
 ladyc4
Msg: 77
If a woman agrees to a FWB relationship ...
Posted: 10/24/2014 6:09:05 AM
This is a drive-by post LOL

The story under discussion(establishing the price) has been around for eons. The first time I heard it, I about kicked the bottom out of my cradle.

The issue I have is when someone comes in to the thread fairly late in the proceedings and posts comments that I heard as scolding/ shaming the OP.
That's all I got.
Cindy O
 averagewhitechick
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/24/2014 6:25:09 AM
^^^Cindy, those snarky comments don't bother me. I just laugh at how worked up some of the posters get over something so stupid. I mean, it was really just a simple question, wasn't it?" And I'm slammed with tons of those silly boxed quotes dissecting every comment I made. The posters who make up stuff to interject into the original post really make me laugh. Nothing like an unsolicited personal spin on things.
 Dee4166
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2014 7:45:21 AM
Wow!!!!

It's ALWAYS interesting how we all stray from the topic, eventually...and end up dissecting things to the MAX!!!!LOL

Before anyone SLAMS me, I am guilty of that too...lol

Any way...so I think it could be ANY of the valid reasons given here, but I'm thinking Inner...has it right...Seems like he thought that's what he wanted and maybe the thought of actually getting it, scared him...I also agree with another poster that maybe he has ED, or maybe he was just "trying on" the idea for himself,more than you...

He could have just met someone else, also...
Any one of a NUMBER of reasons...

If you'd really like to know, then just ask him ,next time that you talk to him...But be sure to come back and tell US!!!

Inquiring minds want to know...Good luck...
 MsMicki
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2014 7:50:11 AM
who knows why he backed off.......
could be any number of reasons!
Only HE really knows the answer.

as for being in a FWB......YOUR decision and nobody's business!
Your an adult and free to explore your sexuality in any way you desire!
 Tsar850
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/24/2014 8:06:01 AM
If the truth shames and or scolds someone so be it.
The joke just points out the op's hypocrisy.
Just like the joke shows......if you are for sale the price is inconsequential.

Just as the op may try to claim she is not the FWB type her own posting shows that not to be true.

This is nothing but an attempt to seek out people to agree with her.
Which is fine but don't be surprised when you are called out on it.

Some posters here actually gather facts before they comment. They don't just post from emotion and bias.

As my Dad use to say......If the shoe fits wear it.

ETA....I hold no judgment on anyone that wants to do FWB or any other sexual habit..........just be honest in what you do.
 averagewhitechick
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/24/2014 8:10:55 AM
"This is nothing but an attempt to seek out people to agree with her."

I don't recall anywhere in my original post I asked anyone to agree with me about anything.

I merely asked a question and explained the situation a bit.

Nothing more. Nothing less. No need to "call out" anyone for asking a simple question.

Supersoulson
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/24/2014 8:17:18 AM

But someone is infatuated with harassing almost ever post I make.

Sometimes I wonder why some here just want to argue. Even though the same ones have made the same points in other threads.

It takes two to tango ... if YOU don't want to argue then why do you take the bait ?
 Tsar850
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/24/2014 8:29:28 AM
Oh I like to debate especially when I have the facts on my side. I can always count on her to oppose my stance even if it is a stance she made in another thread. Please go check my posting history.
In almost every thread I've posted in she has attacked me and when she runs out of actual points she digresses into personal attacks.

As far as the need to call someone out.....I do see the need for letting others know when I see someone not being truthful.......Which is what I've done.
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 85
Posted: 10/24/2014 8:29:35 AM
An actor long ago asked a famous" respected" actress at a dinner party in some manner like if "she would**** a man for x amount of money or * something*" and she said" NO!! Just what do you think I am?", then he said a million $ and her eyes lit up and he responded, "so you are a *****, just have a price in mind"
as for being in a FWB......YOUR decision and nobody's business!
Your an adult and free to explore your sexuality in any way you desire!

I get the point of the story, but IMO every relationship (not just dating) has some sort of "price" attached to it-whether financial or emotional or both...

I gave my Mom a b-day gift-does that make her a hooker?
I gave a friend a b-day gift-does that make HER a hooker?
If a man I happen to be sleeping w/ gives me a gift, does that make me a hooker?

If I gift a man I am sleeping with, does that make him a man-hoor?

People do things for eachother, sometimes big, sometimes small, sometimes it is our time, or our money, or both. Accepting it doesn't make it wrong, whether it is a cup of coffee, a dinner out or a diamond ring, or paying for a cruise or a vaca...

If there is some woman out there who sleeps w/ a man or men for $ or favors, that is b/w the 2 of them, not our business.

Having a friend who is needy, co-dependent, or an active alcoholic has a price too-emotionally---that is for me to decide if I wish to pay that price.

Having a friend who is kind, I make time for her, that is an easy EMOTIONAL price to pay...

Having a son w/ autism, a very high price emotionally, always worth the price!
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/24/2014 8:34:31 AM
OP, the fact you started this thread on August 28th is interesting.

Several things occurred on this day in history :

2012 - Mitt Romney is officially nominated as the United States Republican Party's candidate.

1984 - USSR performs underground nuclear test.

1907 - United Parcel Service is founded by James E. Casey in Seattle, Washington.

I'm not quite sure which of these events has influenced the date you chose to start this thread, but I'm positive if we look a little deeper, we'll discover what your true motives are.

C'mon OP...take the bait!
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/24/2014 8:40:15 AM
""In almost every thread I've posted in she has attacked me and when she runs out of actual points she digresses into personal attacks.""

And you respond in kind...over and over. As to having facts on your side - some people's facts are another person's bullshyte. So, you are not debating, you're arguing. An no, you're not "letting others know when I see someone not being truthful", you're arguing. You have a need to be RIGHT. Simple really.

As far as I read your posts, you want to shame the OP. But that's my opinion. Other's just see this as an interesting topic for discussion. A topic I've pondered myself - could I? would I? I don't know, it's just not come up in real life.

Edit to add: Mr. Clooney - you kill me. Thanks for the morning giggle.
 Tsar850
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/24/2014 9:18:10 AM
In almost every thread I've posted in she has attacked me and when she runs out of actual points she digresses into personal attacks.""

And you respond in kind...over and over.

Please give one example...... While I have debated her I have not personally attacked her.

As to having facts on your side - some people's facts are another person's bullshyte.

Sometimes...... However this truth came from the op herself. So please explain how it could be BS?

As far as I read your posts, you want to shame the OP.

So again I just tried to get people to do the research on the op the fact is her own postings is what outed her.

It was another poster that showed she had had other FWB's.

While claiming she was not the type to have a FWB.

You can lead a person to knowledge but you can't make them think.
 averagewhitechick
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/24/2014 9:23:52 AM
Mr. Clooney -- I wish I could credit one of the aforementioned events as the impetus for me starting my now-famous FWB thread on August 28th. However, in retrospect, even though I was originally interested in opinions on why he wouldn't go through with it, now I'm just enjoying seeing how worked up everyone gets up over something so minor -- it was a silly question. Oh, and the boxed quotations -- gotta love those. I don't have time to put that much effort into dissecting posts, but I REALLY admire the people who are capable of doing this ad infinitum.
 ladyc4
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/24/2014 10:30:01 AM
OP I'm glad that you aren't bothered by some people's attempts to shame you.

But the comments just seemed so-IDK-incongruous ? in a dating site forum.
No, IMO,your question was a legit question to ask.
Have you by any chance had any further contact with this dude, or heard what is going on with him?
Maybe UPS sent him to the wrong address?
Cindy O
 browneyesboo
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/24/2014 11:14:53 AM
I get it, I really do.
Sometimes I see a thread here and I see who started it or
I see who responded in it, and I cringe or I'm instantly disgusted,
and then ashamed how much I dislike someone I don't even know.
Sometimes I won't even read threads or messages when I see the
accompanying profile picture.

Anyway, if you're not liked or popular in the forums, you can expect
to be bashed no matter what you say. People are like elephants in that
they will remember every post you ever made and chomp at the bit to
excitedly throw it out there and get the sharks moving and thrashing
about, practically hyperventilating in the hope of trying out a new
witty comeback.

Cliques, group, fraternity, mob, horde, rabble, swarm...call it what you
like. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

Anyways, as to the OP, I think it was a legit question as well.
The questions was not do you like FWB.
It wasn't have you had a FWB relationship before.
It was, why would a guy back out of such a relationship if the woman
had agreed to it? Could be he was testing the waters, changed his mind,
had performance issues...could be anything.
 averagewhitechick
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/24/2014 11:32:45 AM
^^^Yep. Like dropping blood in the water to the sharks when posting in these forums. I guess certain of the posters want to make sure we tread lightly and not ruff-up their self-righteous feathers lest we get slammed. Well, truth be known, I truly don't care what they say. If I have a question, I'm going to ask it. If certain posters don't like me or my post, why bother saying anything at all. Just move on. Plenty of other forums with subject matter that might be more to their liking.

So to clean up this mess, I haven't heard a word from the potential FWB. And like I said, I haven't pushed the issue. All I can say at this point is he should have struck while the iron was hot because as of right now, I've completely lost all interest in him or his FWB idea.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/24/2014 12:01:01 PM
""You can lead a person to knowledge but you can't make them think.""

I certainly hope this isn't keeping you up at night. In the grand scheme of things, this thread is not important nor is the "fact" the OP may have had this type of relationship before or not. It still boils down to you want to slam her, bash her and shame her. Who is the fool? You do the tit for tat posting which in the end is juvenile. And I must admit, you have a very odd debating style. Again, you aren't debating, you're arguing and just waiting for someone to say "yup, you're right". I can hear if called from the church spires - he's right!!!! Is that what you're waiting for because I don't think it will happen.

I do agree with the one poster who says that some comments she doesn't read just because of who posted them. I'm sure we're all guilty of that; there are many posters comments I don't read and I'm sure it's the same number who don't read my comments. No big deal.
 Tsar850
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/24/2014 12:18:59 PM
I certainly hope this isn't keeping you up at night.

Not at all.

In the grand scheme of things, this thread is not important nor is the "fact" the OP may have had this type of relationship before or not.

While you're correct that the thread is not important...... The fact the op tried to make people think she was naive about FWBs is important to the responses. That is if you value truth.

I don't need any conformation that I am right. I did the research to assure I was.

Again don't care what people choose to do in their life......however if they really wanted truthful and accurate answers. They have to give truthful and accurate accounts.

Not trying to shame anyone........ Just letting the truth be known.

As far as what some here think of me......I couldn't care less.

As a matter of fact knowing some of the ones who's feathers I ruffle don't care for me.......well let's just say it adds to my entertainment from reading and commenting on these forums.
 calguy14
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/24/2014 12:19:27 PM
Doesn't AWC work in a law firm?Let's assume the guy is considered qualified by most women.Likely he has a lot on his plate at the moment.:)
 calguy14
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/24/2014 12:20:11 PM
Delete double
 calguy14
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/24/2014 12:20:38 PM
Delete
 averagewhitechick
Msg: 98
Posted: 10/24/2014 12:23:47 PM
"The fact the op tried to make people think she was naive about FWBs is important to the responses."

Tsar, you really need to follow the story. Nowhere did I ever try to make anyone think I was naive about a FWB relationship. I merely asked a question. What about that are you unable to follow???

Stop making up lies and pay attention to what's going on, OK?
 Tsar850
Msg: 99
Posted: 10/24/2014 12:32:42 PM
Tsar, you really need to follow the story. Nowhere did I ever try to make anyone think I was naive about a FWB relationship. I merely asked a question. What about that are you unable to follow???

This is your exact words.

It was his idea. I'm not really the type, but figured what the heck?

Now if you work in a law office you must know the power of words, of context.

Your words show that you want to be absolved of any knowledge or responsibility of being in a FWB.

I'm not making up anything........ It is your words......that is why the quote boxes you dislike so much are important.
 averagewhitechick
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/24/2014 12:37:53 PM
OMG you moron ... just because I said it was his idea and I'm not really the type, that DOES NOT translate to me being naive about a FWB relationship. I wasn't born yesterday. All it means is exactly what I said ... I'M NOT REALLY THE TYPE.

By the way, it's "THESE ARE your exact words" not "This is your exact words."

And I'm done. I don't suffer fools very well. So keep up your ridiculous diatribe and have fun with that.

By the way, I hear you're really a woman hiding behind a man's profile so you can make your ridiculous comments without being publicly bashed if you posted under your real profile, blondie.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > If a woman agrees to a FWB relationship ...