Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SD2131
Msg: 28
Has anyone had success on here?Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I`m in the midst of dating someone i met on POF, and i`m very happy to have met her...To MSG#26, may i suggest the following..
1- Join a gym and get in some sort of shape.
2- Shut Up and listen.
3- Don`t do coffee dates, its easier to talk over drinks and appetizers.
4- Don`t discuss your past relationships on your first, second or third date.
5- Follow up the next day telling her you had a good time. if you`re interested.
6- Don`t discuss politics or religion.
7- be yourself...
8- own a car and make sure you have a job...

Hopefully, those of you who are having no luck, will take some sage advice, i wish you the best.
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 29
Has anyone had success on here?
Posted: 10/23/2014 12:59:11 PM

LiliMarleen's story is one of my VERY FAVORITE PoF success stories :) A story of persistence and a positive (but realistic) attitude.
AGREED! a perfect example of : "Before you pray for the arrival of the woman/man of your dreams, make sure you are the man/woman of someone else's." They were each eachother's dream & found eachother, while awake :0D
 ozsealady1
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/23/2014 1:42:21 PM
Ahhh Eric... (she smiles and her eyes sparkle)

but we have never actually MET!!!

So our torrid love affair is only in our imagination.

ps: I have a vivid imagination.

pps: I am best at full flight, 4 meets a week, when I am in a very hopeful mood and full of energy.
Plus willing to use the words ' next' and 'onward' often.

ppps: I am still hopeful.

pppps: Weathervanes... if we were were not geographically challenged I would love to meet you.
Shhhhh....Just don't tell Eric
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/23/2014 3:16:58 PM
Yes, but it took a lot longer than a few months.

I met about 70 men over 2.5 years, and most of them were just one date. Then I met my fiancé. He lived 200 miles away, and but for OLD, I would have missed out on the best relationship of my life.

LiliMarleen's story is one of my VERY FAVORITE PoF success stories :) A story of persistence and a positive (but realistic) attitude. BTW -- If you google Should You Date Online and her name, you can find a place that offers a whole lot of great advice for making this work.

And how many men get to actually MEET 70 women in person from online and get to be so picky?
 Iam_RFSF2014
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/23/2014 4:54:19 PM
2 years ago (ish) I had frozen yogurt (vs the normal 'ice cream' meet up, lol) with a man who told me he had met well over 100 women in the last 3-4 years. He actually sent me a Pros and Cons (how he evaluated me) after our meet. That made me laugh.

Dude looked like Nick Nolte's Mug Shot (he admitted it himself) so it wasn't his beauty that was gathering them, lol. But he was amusing and I guess he just really wanted to meet people.

I am sure that is not average and I've met NO WHERE near 70 men myself (like the person I was quoting, I'm sure she is not typical) but she was determined, I know. Really wanted to meet the right guy.

So those are my two 'extreme' examples. She's engaged, he's still on here or was recently.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2014 8:37:30 PM
I've had the normal amount of success that most men have on a dating site. Zippo. When they closed the forums for a time, I had a dead profile. Once they re-opened, I came back. Just for the forums. Over the past two years, I decided that dating wasn't an option, and I'd amuse myself in other ways. Oh sure, I'm a pessimist. Only as far as women are concerned. I see no good reason to date. Life has taught me to rely on one's self. How I managed to get married always made me wonder how I did it. Toss in a few other dates I had, and that's it. This malarkey of single people live shorter lives is a lot of baloney. I have had seven of my close relatives who were single most, or all of their lives. Three lived well into their 90's, four were centenarians when they passed away. Knowing that doesn't make me worry about if I'm dating or not. If one comes along, fine. If not, oh well. She had better be impressed with me for who I am, because I'm not going running after her. Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
 VinGerrard
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/23/2014 9:14:36 PM
Can I be blunt here?
I think it comes down to your profile...
I see a lot of people who appear to put little to no effort into theirs.
I know some people will not like this but cliches like L,L,L just says to me "I can't think of anything to write" or "I follow instead of lead my own path".
I also see "Ask me" in the about section,,, seriously?
I see attitudes about exes or men.
All of those things are red flags, chance killers or nullifiers. Then again, they do help those that are serious...
 Nj2ut
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/24/2014 9:15:20 AM
As of last night I decided I was done with online dating. Not because I'm angry with my experience or lack of success , but I just decided it's not really the best use of time these days. I decided to shift the the time I spent on online dating to working on my fitness and my business.

I was reading one profile last night and list do not contact me list took up just as much space as what she wrote to describe herself. She was attractive but not meeting her list of requirements is probably a good thing. It's all about improving me instead of spending time thumbing through profile after profile of tired cliches, laundry list don't contact me, pics with tounges sticking out like 5 year olds, "ask me", and tedious messages back and forth as a pre requisite to having a date.
 Iam_RFSF2014
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/24/2014 9:16:09 AM
^^ #37 Congratulations! That's great.

I do think it's possible. For 'young' and 'old'. For men and women. For 'average' people. yay.
 Dee4166
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2014 9:39:16 AM
Yes CONGRATS!

Hope you two will have happiness, health and love...Good for you!!!
 VinGerrard
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/24/2014 10:00:32 AM
The part about making an effort in approaching someone is right on the nose as well.
I do what I would want a woman to do, I find a common ground, interest or even irritation. If it takes 5 or 10 minutes to respond, it's worth it. I don't know how many times I've timed out while making an initial contact...
If you don't think it's worth it, I have to ask... what do you think you're going to get in return?
I have a lengthy profile. It's that way for a reason. I have maybe 3 out of every 10 contact me after reading it. It helps to screen potentials. When a woman writes to me, I honestly get an uplift because I know what my profile does. It tells me that someone has taken the time (in most cases) to read it and has something to say. I also have to admit that it's frustrating when someone does write to me and then asks,,, "so, tell me something about yourself". Seriously, I probably scare more people off with the length of my profile so automatically, what comes to mind is "copy and paste" method used to machinegun as many candidates as possible as quickly as possible.
I want to stand out, instead of surviving the Saint Valentine's Day massacre... LOL
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/24/2014 10:22:12 AM
I too met someone on here. We been dating for a while now, Things seem to be going great. Funny thing is that I almost and didn't reply to her message.
 Supersoulson
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/24/2014 10:38:31 AM
I first joined POF in the Spring of 2005…. I added a woman to my favorites in Dec/05 and she actually responded !!!!!

It lead to a relationship that lasted a couple years.

Since then I hadn’t met anyone that actually went past the initial meet n greet until just this past June.

But , that only lasted a couple weeks.

So, yes I’ve had success here but …. Not a whole heck of a lot .
 weathervanes
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2014 4:27:23 PM
Thanks, from first impressions you sound like a keeper?....that ocean is a problem lol.
 gingham7
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/25/2014 8:51:58 AM
I read an article that stated 20%-25% of the people that used OLD found a relationship from it. Among the 20-25%, many of them had a lot of first dates that didn't work out and/or they used OLD for multiple years before getting into relationship. If the article is fairly accurate, it's possible OLD can work if you have a lot of patience. But I prefer meeting people from the "real world".
 dardikadrake
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/25/2014 10:56:29 PM
I have family members who married from this site and some good friends who have met and are getting married from this site.

My Previous Boss met his wife on another site and my current boss met her husband on a site.

So, Yes it works but you might have to pluck a few chickens to hear if they squeal like pigs.
 sigungq
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2014 11:02:00 AM
I couldn't help but notice the stark difference (in general) between the responses of the men vs. the women, on how much "success" one has had...............
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2014 12:14:23 PM
i met the love of my life here five years ago.

All of those things are red flags, chance killers or nullifiers. Then again, they do help those that are serious...

shhh. never let anyone else at the table know you can see their cards.
 Maleman999
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/26/2014 12:24:26 PM
I've had a lot of success here. I've been successful in avoiding the crazies and women with a transport truck full of baggage that are peed off at life.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/26/2014 12:50:17 PM

I couldn't help but notice the stark difference (in general) between the responses of the men vs. the women, on how much "success" one has had...............

And this is the good reason why the breakdown on the Profile Review Forum is 97% men and 3% women.
 cooldog65
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2014 1:06:32 PM
spending time thumbing through profile after profile of tired cliches, laundry list don't contact me, pics with tounges sticking out like 5 year olds, "ask me"

I've seen plenty of this in profiles from women within my age range...not just the youngsters.

I discovered the forums about 2 months after I joined and haven't messaged any women since. I was also in a relationship after discovering the forums that ended over a year and a half ago.

I just unhid my profile this past summer and have gotten some messages, but they're old and fat. No thanks.

I'm batting .000 and I couldn't care less.
 Dragracer428
Msg: 52
Posted: 10/26/2014 1:21:46 PM

Actually I did not notice that, the majority of men who responded to this thread report good success.
I have also has good luck online dating, couple of LTR's, many dates and meetups.
A realistic approach and patience has its rewards, bitterness has its own.

Your story has gone well beyond what anyone can believe.
 NoBuddies_Fool
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/27/2014 5:29:30 AM
A realistic approach and patience has its rewards, bitterness has its own

This I agree with whole heartedly.
I have had success in having many meets off of here.....left for a while after "irl" meet/ relationship.
Been back the last few years and on "my" part not putting much effort in....admittedly.

I can honestly say...I never had any earth shattering, life changing, bad meets.
Sure...some lied about their age...heighth or could have even lied about their marital status...for all I know...lol.
I've met some men with no teeth., no hair with toupees, hearing aides, over weight, under weight, drank too much, bitter about exes, one could hardly walk, broke. wealthy, poor, pretentious....( good looking and knew it),.....everyone of them was interesting and it was only coffee...time and conversation.
The ones I liked...didn't like me and vise versa....ho-hum.

This isn't easy and I no longer have the urgency...but when I do make myself visible and have a meet...it's still interesting to me and one never knows....it has worked for others...so, it's possible BUT....it's like winning the lotto...you have to try/buy!
 Iam_RFSF2014
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/27/2014 6:36:41 AM

Actually I did not notice that, the majority of men who responded to this thread report good success.
I have also has good luck online dating, couple of LTR's, many dates and meetups.
A realistic approach and patience has its rewards, bitterness has its own.

Your story has gone well beyond what anyone can believe.

Glad you are having luck! There ARE guys on here who do and have. I mean, we just read a 'she said yes' post!

But... I find the following to be a common theme: If someone (male OR female) writes a post that is anti the conventional wisdom of how horrible this place is, it's just sort of ignored or argued with, minimized.

I have tried to post realistic, positive posts about my experiences because I would think it would give people 'hope' - hey, it worked for me (and it also worked for the GUY in the equation). But I guess no one wants to hear that it can, if it's not currently working for them?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >