Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 south_city
Msg: 185
Has anyone had success on here?Page 8 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Going out on dates ( even if they don't work out ) means that you had some relative success compared to others. Some of the biggest complaints about OLD include people getting very few positive replies to their emails or mostly getting emails from people that they aren't interested in. As mentioned before, I had more success with Match in terms getting more emails, dates, and even a few short term relationships.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 186
Has anyone had success on here?
Posted: 2/7/2016 1:07:56 PM

I already have a dad, thanks.

Is this your mantra?
 purplerider1200
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2016 3:02:58 PM
A fair number of men on here haven't got a clue as to why this doesn't work for us. (me included) I know better than to bother with the attractive women on here. Then there are several that make me want to remain solo. And of course the middle of the road, that neither inspire or are not outstanding by a long way.

After a few years of no replies, I'm sure that plenty of us men figure that if we can't get responses, then we don't know where we stand. Obviously, we don't appeal to the ladies of our choice. Some will get the nerve up and ask women for an opinion. Our question will never be answered, because all women seem to have some sort of phobia about giving us one. So, we remain in the dark, and start choosing other avenues of self entertainment that does not involve women.

We then sit back, and occasionally listen in silence about women that get into bad situations. After a while, instead of feeling any sort of sympathy towards them, we just learned to ignore their gripes, and let them wallow in their own self pity. They weren't willing to help us in our time of need. Why should we give a hoot in return?
 Nj2ut
Msg: 189
Posted: 2/7/2016 6:35:45 PM
[A very large proportion of "success" is down to luck and personal situations. Those lucky enough to be born good looking, rich, tall (for men), big boobed (for women) will have a much better chance of success than us plain, average folk. Naturally outgoing, confident and successful people will have more chance than the quiet and shy ones amongst us.]

I use the people in my office as a reality check when it comes to dating. I can think four guys I work with or use to work with who are shorter than me (I'm 5'9) that are married. There women of various sizes that I work with who are also married or dating. If these people can find someone can success in dating can things like height, wealth, or weight be used as factors for lack of "success"?

I think there's people that would rather make excuses or look for something to blame instead of looking for ways to improve themselves or their situation.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 191
Posted: 2/8/2016 1:45:14 PM

I use the people in my office as a reality check when it comes to dating. I can think four guys I work with or use to work with who are shorter than me (I'm 5'9) that are married. There women of various sizes that I work with who are also married or dating. If these people can find someone can success in dating can things like height, wealth, or weight be used as factors for lack of "success"?

Are you certain that all of these people who are married are HAPPILY married, and that no one settled in any way, shape, or form, and got everything they wanted in a mate?
Some people would like to do it right the first time, and till death do they part.
If someone really just wants to be married, period, I'm sure they could find a green card candidate to marry them.
But that's not most people's idea of true love.
And the people who are dating have no complaints?
 gtomustang
Msg: 192
Posted: 2/8/2016 5:23:09 PM
I get the same success here I get in real life. not surprising to me.

Die cast man did say, those born with advantages, have advantages. I'm sure there are people who married someone they got pregnant, or they shared in common a willingness to be realistic about who they were going to find, or they were in fact the unicorn who believe personality does overcome looks. they might also share in common a desire to work for a certain company, and thus ended up in a similar place that accomplishes what they wish to accomplish in life, or has a work atmosphere they have always wanted.

if we want a website to give us happiness, we may likely find we need to give it to ourselves. unless we have advantages in life, like things other people want.
 swampyswampy
Msg: 193
Posted: 2/9/2016 6:54:34 AM
yup i agree guys who can afford to lavish their dates with luxury restaurants as apposed to a greggs pasty and coke do fair better....
 showboatsupreme
Msg: 194
Posted: 2/9/2016 4:53:51 PM
Dude...try a weekend getaway sometime.

Dayum!
 HyperDrifterRay
Msg: 195
Posted: 2/9/2016 8:34:49 PM
I actually met my ex and a few good friends but honestly... I didn't had lot of luck. This is the problem with online dating. You can't really have a good feeling except in real person. This is why I prefer to meet the person to make a 100% opinion on them.
 cookymaker
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2016 9:03:32 PM
If I was determined to get married again.. then so far, I have not succeeded here

But, if being here was to meet people, have conversations, get a better idea of what would make me happy or if I can spend an afternoon with someone without him running away screaming.... Then I have had success :)
 ohenryx
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2016 12:06:48 PM

showboatsupreme
Dude...try a weekend getaway sometime.

Dayum!

I agree, “weekend getaway” is a great aphrodisiac.

Someone here in the forums (halftimedad?) once said that calling a woman a “good sport” meant that she was up for a 3-some. I would stipulate the opposite of “good sport” would be a woman who, when invited for a weekend getaway, expects separate rooms!
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2016 12:23:44 PM

Yeah, why bother dating women your own age? This is exactly why I set an age limit on my profile (+/- 7 years). I already have a dad, thanks.

Wow! You have a dad (or know of a dad) who had their kid when he was 9 years old? Man, kids are growing up these days fast! ;) But to be fair...

Although I posted a profile I am not really trying since this site will not allow me to contact women within my dating age range. Why bother?

There's a reason that the default limit (14 years?) is in place. I agree that shouldn't be a set-in-stone limit -- but there is a reason to have it as a Default setting for every profile. Girls get Bombarded by messages on here. Does an average Jane want an ego-boost? Go to an online matchmaking site (free one especially) -- and although annoyed with some of it after a while I'm sure, she'll still get a boost of being liked as if she was a Real Looker waltzing into a club. Age ranges vary from age group to age group. When you're 18, the age range is going to be much more narrow than at 38. But in a nutshell, the +/- 14 years is a good idea. Less than a decade and a half difference. Only thing I disagree with is it being non-changeable by the user.

If a very beautiful woman at 48 wants to set a guardrail to only allow guys from 24-35 to write her -- let her, IMO. Until they get rid of the "No Commitment" and "Hang Out" options in one's profile, they can't begin to make the argument it's for Romance-Only. :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 199
Posted: 2/10/2016 1:20:50 PM
well, in a positive story...I haven't gotten laid, so I haven't caught AIDS and died. does that count?

"I already have a dad, thanks"

>>>yeah, but *drool* he can't be "your daddy" like I can *snicker* heh heh heh

and that's why I also agree to the age restriction. Napster was once cool. Creepster never will be.
 swampyswampy
Msg: 200
Posted: 2/15/2016 8:20:33 AM
Its a woman's domain dating a woman only has to log on to get inundated with requests she can be choosy any woman who has been single a long time is probably too fussy
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 201
Posted: 2/15/2016 8:31:56 AM
I've met people over the years but so far it hasn't lead to happily ever after
 crook_catcher
Msg: 202
Posted: 2/15/2016 8:49:20 AM

It's a woman's domain dating a woman only has to log on to get inundated with requests she can be choosy any woman who has been single a long time is probably too fussy

Not necessarily true. Anyone resonably attractive whether male or female can expect some level of interest from similar age range users in my experience anyway. Doesn't mean they are someone you would be interested in dating but they're there.

Now if your talking about 40 year old guys not getting messages from 25 year old girls you're spot on. But rest assured those hot 25 year old girls are messaging the hot guys in their age range regardless of their in box volume.

I gather from all the threads about it that being in your 20's and 30's are not conducive to a positive experience for men in OLD. I would think a real time approach in social settings would be the way to go. ymmv
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 203
Posted: 2/15/2016 9:24:52 AM
What's interesting to me, is up to about the age of 48 I received initial contacts from YOUNGER women on a regular basis ( no, I'm not saying I got a TON of msgs, just that the fact that they were younger than me was very common ) , but ever since then it has done an absolute reverse. I'm not exaggerating, I almost never receive initial contact msgs from women my own age even, they're all older now.

I wonder why that is ?

IMO most people's cut off age is late 40's .
IOW the only people willing to date people in their late 40's and older are people also above that age range.
 crook_catcher
Msg: 204
Posted: 2/15/2016 9:37:21 AM

What's interesting to me, is up to about the age of 48 I received initial contacts from YOUNGER women on a regular basis, but ever since then it has done an absolute reverse. I'm not exaggerating, I almost never receive initial contact msgs from women my own age even, they're all older now.

I wonder why that is ?

I don't know. I originally signed up on here in late 2010 or early 2011 when they still had the chat feature and not quite 57 so I can't give any perspective on that. I do know that having my message parameters wide open for some forum members and when I don't have my profile hidden I get quite a few messages from older women. But that's neither here nor there I guess. Is what it is. I don't anticipate finding someone here especially in my area. If it happens it'll be irl. ymmv
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 205
Posted: 2/15/2016 9:39:36 AM
" I don't anticipate finding someone here especially in my area. If it happens it'll be irl. "

I agree, I'm gonna have to stop procrastinating and start joining some meet up groups .

cookymaker
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2016 9:56:29 AM
I recently joined a meet up group that attends happy hour then dinner together at various restaurants.
I don't drink but neither do several others who attend these meetups. It's just a way to get together and meet people while trying out a new restaurant at the same time
I did noticed that many of these people seem to have known each other for a long time but nobody is dating each other..
Maybe at a certain age it becomes more about getting out there and socializing and not so much seeking "the one"

You know how it can go. Once you stop looking ....
Just like the candid pictures people take of us are usually the best - maybe just being ourselves in the real world will get the better results.
 ohenryx
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2016 10:40:10 AM

cvookymaker
I recently joined a meet up group that attends happy hour then dinner together at various restaurants.
I don't drink but neither do several others who attend these meetups. It's just a way to get together and meet people while trying out a new restaurant at the same time
I did noticed that many of these people seem to have known each other for a long time but nobody is dating each other..
Maybe at a certain age it becomes more about getting out there and socializing and not so much seeking "the one"

I have found dating within Meetup groups to be somewhat like dating in the work place. People say that it’s a bad idea, they swear that they’re not doing it, but everyone can tell you stories about those who are doing it.

I will say that I do Meetup more for socializing than for dating, but when the right opportunity comes along, who am I to say no?
 cookymaker
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2016 11:44:00 AM
Years ago, I dated someone in the work place. Yes, it can be a bad idea -especially after you breakup and see each other in the hallways all the time. Not good. I would guess it could be the same with meetup groups.

I actually joined just to have dinner with other people. I love trying different food but always hesitated going by myself
I usually end up chatting more with other women than men and that's fine with me. New friends. It is entertaining to watch some of the women determined to find a man. And vice versa. Hasn't changed much since high school, right down to the body language and exaggerated laughing at jokes
But it's all in fun, so why not . Beats sitting at home counting flowers on the wall, playing solitaire til dawn.........
 cooldog65
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2016 12:52:06 PM
I've had the same experience as butterchickenchuck has with most of the interested women being older than me since I turned 50 a year ago.

I think the perception is that when you cross into a new decade, you age 10 years when in reality it is only a year. Who knows?
 swampyswampy
Msg: 210
Posted: 2/19/2016 8:10:29 AM
crook catcher its a womans domain because there are like 1o guys chasing every girl an average woman will probs receive a dozen messages every time she logs on
 Chromis1
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2016 8:51:16 AM

crook catcher its a womans domain because there are like 1o guys chasing every girl an average woman will probs receive a dozen messages every time she logs on

The ratio is never really quite that bad. In your age group, 3:1 would be at the top end, and 2:1 or 1.5:1 is more the norm.

I understand what Crookcatcher is saying. Nothing mysterious about the phenomena. In our age bracket, older women like to search for younger men, just as much as older men like to search for younger women. The woman I'm dating now never saw my profile - she never searched above her age. So for guys like me and Crookcatcher, we typically won't have as much luck with incoming mail. I've dated older but nothing stuck. The only real luck I've had has been with women I contacted initially.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >