Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do any of you do background checks on people you meet?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dan198508
Msg: 51
Do any of you do background checks on people you meet?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Real criminals don't get caught, got no criminal record. Those who get caught probably learn their lesson and become law abiding.

Also keep in mind that not long ago, homosexuality was illegal in USA. In the country I come from it was illegal too. I used to watch the news channel, they would enter their homes with TV cameras and the Police, asking 2 men sleeping in a bed why they were sleeping together, at gun point (AK-47s). Ripping off their sheets. Filming them naked. Hitting.

So of course the excuses came, they said they keep warm, but, it was in the middle of summer. Lol. Arrested, sentenced and given a criminal background. But were they doing something wrong? Were they criminals? Really? I think society back then was the criminal. So watch out when you carracterize things.

Many things that are not accepted today within our society may be accepted 5 or 10 years from now as something moral and legal.

Don't judge.
 Iam_RFSF2014
Msg: 52
Do any of you do background checks on people you meet?
Posted: 11/17/2014 1:09:03 PM

Real criminals don't get caught, got no criminal record. Those who get caught probably learn their lesson and become law abiding.

Yes, that is why there is no such thing as a 'repeat offender'.... UM, huh?
 Dan198508
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/17/2014 1:23:55 PM
^ I said probably. Funny how people have a tendency to tooth-pick my posts and miss the essence. I take it that the essence bothers you.
 Iam_RFSF2014
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/17/2014 1:39:39 PM
Actually... I will cop to projecting a BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) attribute to your post (ah that more folks used that strategy!) and likely didn't even 'get' the essence upon my first read.

When someone leads with a line that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, I don't always comb through the rest.

And even now that I've read the rest, I'm not sure what criminalizing homosexuality (which I am 100% horrified by) has much to do with whether there are repeat offenders (of which there are many if my 45 second google search is any indication). "Probably" most people don't repeat their offenses does not seem to hold.
 Dan198508
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/17/2014 1:49:14 PM
Download some of these statistics:

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=17

Unless they are sex offenders, many of them become law abiding. Statistics vary by offense, year of offense, age, region etc.

I'll give you a quick example. Say, a guy smokes weed, goes to jail for it, then, again he re-offends during his parole and goes back to jail.

Then in 2020, weed is legalised in Canada and the US. My question is, did he do something wrong? You're going to say, yes he did something wrong, before 2020, but after 2020 it was no longer wrong. Really? How can something be wrong today, and right tomorrow?

If 2 + 2 = 3 is wrong today, it is wrong tomorrow also. It is wrong a billion years from now. It's called an absolute truth. So, if you say today, that smoking weed is wrong, and if you do that, you're a criminal, are you in posession of the absolute truth?

But naturally no, you're just being judgemental. Why? Because there are high chances it will become legal.That's why I said don't judge, because what they are doing MIGHT not be wrong afterall even if they are punished today.

My posts require mental gymnastics, you just can't give a straight answer unless you thought about it for a very long time. It's good for the brain. Try it.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/17/2014 1:54:47 PM

Although cops do random searches by the hundreds everyday most of which may or may NOT have anything to do with ANYTHING, THAT is actually ONE of the reasons that I have only had her ACTUALLY check for me ONCE....And that was YEARS ago...

I wouldn't presume to tell you what is legal there or even some other State in the USA....

But in my State, a Police Officer accessing the System for other than Official Police Business, is against the Law....

As for "splashing it across the internet",well,that would worry me except for the fact that nobody knows who I am, or who she is and she will be retiring in a few months so NOT really relevant....

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I've seen People get 'outed' on other internet forums, where their picture & stuff isn't in a profile.

Breaking the law as it stands currently is still breaking the law.

There are so many laws on the Books in the USA, Is there anyone who hasn't Broken some of them? I seriously doubt that there is.
 Iam_RFSF2014
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/17/2014 2:03:48 PM

My posts require mental gymnastics, you just can't give a straight answer unless you thought about it for a very long time. It's good for the brain. Try it.

Dude. I'm just a database analyst who uses PoF forums for a quick break from my 'real' job now and then.

Breaking the law as it stands currently is still breaking the law. Can a mortal man define 'absolute truth'? dunno. Laws evolve with the time, that much is true.

Your posts are not (to me, the reader) as interesting as you may think. In the future I'll stop and count to 100 before I respond (and hopefully in counting to 100, will know better and just go on to the next thing to read or get back to work)
 Dan198508
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/17/2014 2:09:06 PM
^ Ok thank you :) :) :)

If they are breaking the law, they have judges to judge them. You don't have to judge them also! Not your buisness. Law takes care of it. If the judge releases them back on the streets, it means they can function as model citizens. So leave their past alone and focus on the future.

It's our problem nowadays is it? Judges at every corner. And everyone laying a guilty verdict.
 Dee4166
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2014 3:06:17 PM

I wouldn't presume to tell you what is legal there or even some other State in the USA....

But in my State, a Police Officer accessing the System for other than Official Police Business, is against the Law....

And this...

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I've seen People get 'outed' on other internet forums, where their picture & stuff isn't in a profile.

Again, thanks for the slap on the wrist and the "heads up" there, much appreciated....
So can we move on now from the fact that I (GASP!) asked a friend of mine to check a name as she DOES EVERY DAY and there is NO risk whatsoever that my saying that HERE is going to alter her Life/career whatsoever???
Holy cow....It's NOT a criminal offense for her to do that...even IF she got "caught" they would have to prove that she did it in the first place and that it had NOTHING to do with her job, kinda difficult considering the guy had a RECORD for fraud....As well as the fact that it was SOME time ago and were they by some REMOTE chance to attempt to investigate, they do NOT keep records of every single search of the database done by a police officer , (impossible to do MUCH too expensive and technical) and would not even be able to FIND it at this point....Never mind the fact that she would probably face consequences such as a talking to, as they do not FIRE a police officer for something as slight as that...can you say Police Brotherhood????....
Some people are actually MORE concerned with REAL crime as opposed to something like this....

Sheesh...gimme a LITTLE credit for having SOME brains....

And just for the record, for all of those who may have a moral or ethical problem with this, I'm REALLY not interested in discussing it any further, or hearing about how I can be tracked down, etc.
Wow!!! The fact that even a FEW of you seem to have latched onto THAT as being more pertinent than the fact that the guy HAD A RECORD and was completely misrepresenting himself to me, is really interesting....regardless of the method used to find that out....

As far as Dan....'s "theory" on judging someone well, the recidivism rate amongst criminals is completely dependent on the crime that they tend to commit and I somehow DON'T think that something like robbery or murder is going to suddenly become "acceptable" some day....
And yes, I will actually judge someone based on a criminal record, but of course that would depend on the severity and Nature of the crime...
Ignoring that information would be foolish and reckless at best and may result in my becoming an unintentional victim myself, why would I NOT want to know that?...
Over 15 years working in the penal system, for both juveniles and adults has taught me that it's great to have faith in people and believe in the power of change, but at the same time, you have to remember to NOT be a fool about it....SOME leopards really CAN'T change their spots....
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/17/2014 3:21:05 PM

Posted by dee4166:
"...can we move on now from the fact that I (GASP!) asked a friend of mine to check a name as she DOES EVERY DAY and there is NO risk whatsoever that my saying that HERE is going to alter her Life/career whatsoever???
Holy cow....It's NOT a criminal offense for her to do that...even IF she got "caught" they would have to prove that she did it in the first place and that it had NOTHING to do with her job, kinda difficult considering the guy had a RECORD for fraud....As well as the fact that it was SOME time ago and were they by some REMOTE chance to attempt to investigate, they do NOT keep records of every single search of the database done by a police officer , (impossible to do MUCH too expensive and technical) and would not even be able to FIND it at this point....Never mind the fact that she would probably face consequences such as a talking to, as they do not FIRE a police officer for something as slight as that...can you say Police Brotherhood?"

Incorrect. It is called an "audit trail" and it can be easily ascertained which officer(s) have accessed any records, how many times, for how long, what else they accessed, and affiliated with which offense. Police resources are not in place so friends can telephone their Detective Sergeant pals to conduct searches on people whom they might meet for coffee.

If the man who had his records accessed by a friend-of-a-police-officer learned his background had been compromised and shared with a civilian for simple dating / social purposes...not only could he sue the officer and the MUC Police, he would almost certainly win since the unlawful access to his information would be seen in the audit trail.
 Dee4166
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2014 3:28:28 PM
Well then consider me now "informed" and when they come for her because of a check that was done on a CRIMINAL, YEARS AGO, then I'll be SURE to remember what you said and give you "credit" in my head...k???

Do you feel better now?

Also, as I said, never told him any of that and went my own way....but SO glad that you're so concerned for me and my friend, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

So this has somehow become something that I do on a regular basis with "men I night meet for coffee" now????

WTF????

Did it ONCE... in the last oh, 20 some odd years...So do me a favour and stop acting like my father and continue to try and make a MUCH bigger deal of this in your OWN MIND than what it ACTUALLY was IN REALITY....

Have a nice day....
 Dee4166
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2014 4:35:33 PM
@petebelongs...I THANK you for being a voice of reason here....

The friend that I spoke of is NOT an idiot and is NOT corrupt in her job....
I just find it interesting how MANY men seem to take offense at something SO minor that was used in ONE instance in order to keep me safe....MANY years ago....

And thanks also for reminding me about those offenses being a matter of public record as well, I totally forgot that underneath the onslaught of attempts at "shaming"me...LOL

Have a great day....
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/17/2014 4:36:26 PM
Yep, I get down to Trenton on occasion!
What does that classic bridge sign say, "Trenton makes, the world takes." or something like that? LOL.

With the new security technology, the practice of accessing databases and files is rapidly fading into the past.
This was not public record, it was misuse of resources exploring a person because a friend was going on a date.
Far too many random abuses of the system and that's why they are carefully audit-protected for everyone's benefit now.

Stay safe down in our state capital! :-)
 Dee4166
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2014 4:44:22 PM

This was not a public record, it was a misuse of resources exploring a person because a friend was going out on a date.
Far too many random abuses of the system and that's why they are carefully audit-protected for everyone's benefit now.

Actually you know that how exactly???? That it was NOT a matter of public record?

And once AGAIN, this wasn't a "random check of someone that I was going on a date with"....as far as abuse of the system,well I figure it's better to protect myself BEFORE becoming a victim, than AFTER....that would cost the "system" a LOT more....

But apparently you have interpreted and perceived what YOU deem "important" and pertinent from what I said and have made YOUR "pronouncement" on the subject, so I'm seeing that a little thing like the FACTS have NO bearing on that....

DragonBits
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/17/2014 4:48:29 PM

Download some of these statistics:

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=17

About two-thirds (67.8%) of released prisoners were arrested for a new crime within 3 years, and three-quarters (76.6%) were arrested within 5 years.
Within 5 years of release, 82.1% of property offenders were arrested for a new crime, compared to 76.9% of drug offenders, 73.6% of public order offenders, and 71.3% of violent offenders.
More than a third (36.8%) of all prisoners who were arrested within 5 years of release were arrested within the first 6 months after release, with more than half (56.7%) arrested by the end of the first year.
Two in five (42.3%) released prisoners were either not arrested or arrested once in the 5 years after their release.
A sixth (16.1%) of released prisoners were responsible for almost half (48.4%) of the nearly 1.2 million arrests that occurred in the 5-year follow-up period.
An estimated 10.9% of released prisoners were arrested in a state other than the one that released them during the 5-year follow-up period
Within 5 years of release, 84.1% of inmates who were age 24 or younger at release were arrested, compared to 78.6% of inmates ages 25 to 39 and 69.2% of those age 40 or older.

The MAJORITY are repeat offenders. Like 3 out of 4 within 5 years.

Do you even read your own links?
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 66
Posted: 11/17/2014 4:57:30 PM

My room mate is a Sgt. Detective for the MUC ...

Your 1st statement on this sounds like something you'd do currently.

Did it ONCE... in the last oh, 20 some odd years...So do me a favour and stop acting like my father and continue to try and make a MUCH bigger deal of this in your OWN MIND than what it ACTUALLY was IN REALITY....

Now you want us to believe this is something you did in the distant past.

I am retired from law enforcement in NJ, and have known of many cases where info has been checked for other than strict law enforcement purposes.

This is why I put the qualifier in my statement. In the State of California, they have really cracked down on this type of thing. Specially the running of Vehicle License Plates for other than Official Business.

And there certainly does exist a brotherhood of blue.

Just as you might get a 'Brass Pass' up there, but a Virgina or Florida State Trooper, might write you that speeding ticket. The old 'Cops Writing Cops' web page was a real eye opener, till it was made private.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/17/2014 5:00:01 PM
Dee4166...you are the one who posted how you photograph license plates to send to people...and then subsequently how you have used a friend's access to the Montreal police database to research a man (without his consent) for your own curiosity. This is how the POF Forums work...if you are going to boldly state something, people are going to discuss it.

In contemporary police Information Technology units, that behavior would now be questioned very quickly.
How would you feel if a man who you just started seeing called his buddy to learn about your banking records?
If a person were doing that to you, he should similarly be told it is wrong and there are solid safeguards against it.

Here is my suggestion...if you are talking to a guy, trying to arrange a date, and things aren't good...cancel the date.
For typical online dating most people meet in a bright, public, busy place. One shouldn't be going into parking lots to see in which car he arrived and start snapping photographs of his license plates. About 99.99% would find that unusual.
 Dee4166
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2014 5:02:08 PM
@blueeyes....

Frankly,if you read ALL of the posts regarding this subject then you would see exactly what I SAID...not what it may have "seemed like" , or "what I want you to believe",because frankly, at this point I'm okay and so is my room mate with ANYTHING that either of us have or have not done, and I couldn't give a rat's ass as to what anyone else thinks of it....

I hope that makes things REALLY clear now....

Have a good night...
@ eric...as for what you said,I haven't been going around "snapping pics of license plates", it was on TWO occasions....in case you forget...
As for having a guy checked out for a criminal record v someone checking bank info...that's not a viable comparison at ALL, and if you're as smart as you seem to think you are, then you KNOW that...

Finally, as far as the dating tips,I'm GOOD thanks, and have manged to keep myself alive and well so far,thanks for all of your concern...and just because YOU have a problem with whatever methods that I use in order to protect MYSELF does NOT make your opinion or views the Ultimate Authority nor give you the right to attempt to shame me and how I choose to protect MYSELF whether or not it's in a forum or anywhere else....
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/17/2014 5:05:09 PM

Posted by petebelongs:
"Yes Eric, the Bridge Street bridge from Trenton to Morrisville, Pa. says "Trenton Makes The World Takes" and it was pertinent 40-70 years ago when there was a fair amount of industry in town. Roebling Steel perhaps being the biggest exporter. But the locals had a second line to that saying. "What The World Refuses Trenton Uses"
Just a Trenton thing."

Roebling Steel...such a historic company that made the essential steel for so many things we know today.
One can probably still take a date to a Trenton Thunder game and enjoy lunch somewhere looking at the water. :-)
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/17/2014 5:30:11 PM
Well, the good news is with the fantastic deals on Trenton Thunder / Newark Bears / Somerset Patriots baseball prices, one can have plenty of money still in the wallet for a great meal afterwards! Those games are great.
 Dan198508
Msg: 71
Posted: 11/17/2014 5:35:46 PM
DragonBits

Unless the probability is 100% you have no right to judge people based on their past. People can change, you gotta have faith in people and give them a second chance. It's an attribute of civilisation.

And I totally agree with Eric_Summit, law enforcement records are not there for women on POF to use.
 DragonBits
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/17/2014 5:51:21 PM
Dan198508

Unless the probability is 100% you have no right to judge people based on their past. People can change, you gotta have faith in people and give them a second chance. It's an attribute of civilisation.

I was judging based on your posts, not the felons.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 73
Posted: 11/18/2014 9:47:31 AM

Unless the probability is 100% you have no right to judge people based on their past.

That's where you are utterly wrong. From the convenience of all our home computer and phone screens, we ARE judge, jury AND executioner of everything we see in this site. We have the choice to assume whatever the hell we want - and you have absolutely NO control over that choice. None. It doesn't mean our choices are remotely correct or ethical or anything else - but you cannot police what we think of you - or anyone else in here.

People can change, you gotta have faith in people and give them a second chance.

I do agree that forgiveness is a needed trait to ANY long-term relationship, but just like trust, it's considered an "earned" value, not something you are automatically entitled to having.
 Onyxbutterflies90
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2014 10:15:39 AM
I don't think it's enough, but its a good place to start. It helps eliminate sex offenders and married men. Google image search, Google Search and Facebook are easy enough to use. There's no need to go into their personal records.
 Maleman999
Msg: 75
Posted: 11/18/2014 10:30:11 AM

I guess that's what Charles Manson said to his now fiance. I wonder if he was using a dating site to meet women.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do any of you do background checks on people you meet?