Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 55
Profile HelpPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Msg 36. I had previously suggested you rewrite a line to make it sound less demanding. You accused me of not reading your profile, then asked me how to write that line. No attempt to rewrite it yourself first, just waiting for me to write parts of your profile.

I don't think you understand what sarcasm is. "Your profile is great" is sarcasm. "Did you read?" is not.

If you don't like the first sentence of a post, you get angry and apparently don't read the rest of it. If you wish to continue online, I suggest you read posts all the way through as well as develop a calmer personality.

Look I get it. It is finals time and the holiday season. You have a lot to worry about. Get through the rest of this month, then come back when you are less on edge.
 Tiny_danc3r
Msg: 56
Profile Help
Posted: 12/9/2014 7:06:09 AM
Wow, just WOW... after reading all these responses I have to agree that you have been really rude... you are very thin skinned about the whole thing... I'm not saying there aren't some very direct comments on this thread... but your responses are just insane... If you want a nice responses and lies or to be handled with kid gloves the forum isn't the place for it... You don't have to agree with anyone... but you DID ask and then complained when you got it. Grow a pair and freaking deal.
 LovinU401
Msg: 57
Profile Help
Posted: 12/10/2014 2:24:42 AM
Guess he deleted his profile because he couldn't handle the feedback XD. I even gave him an honest opinion but I can see why others have been frustrated with this guy.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 59
Profile Help
Posted: 12/10/2014 3:22:00 PM

P.S I hope nobody here thinks I'm being mean or rude, I'm just giving some brutally honest advice.

If you would have read the forum rules you would know that reviewers profiles are not open for review, you asked they didn't, that makes you rude.

Want to do it in a way that isn't as you call it rude? I suspect you don't, but just in case you are free to go do the same thing on his thread.

There you are a reviewer, here you are rude.
 tatersprout
Msg: 60
Profile Help
Posted: 12/10/2014 3:34:26 PM
Well John,

If you followed any of the advice you gave to Ricardo, you'd have a near perfect profile for yourself.

Just proves that you are not an idiot and know exactly what to do; you're just an angry, hotheaded, self involved, insolent, rude young man.

I'm not name calling...just describing your real traits as displayed here.

Incapable of accepting constructive criticism without feeling attacked, but more than capable of reacting inappropriately.

Not exactly personality traits a young woman is looking for, eh?

How long before she pisses you off accidentally and you go on the attack?

Is that how your first profile got banned?
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 62
Profile Help
Posted: 12/10/2014 4:20:05 PM
You want to REALLY stick it to that guy that gave you that rude review?

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/16147207datingPostpage2.aspx

Copy and paste what you posted to him here over on his thread above, then MORE people will see how rude he was to you.
 tatersprout
Msg: 63
Profile Help
Posted: 12/10/2014 4:32:56 PM
Hon, A generation is 25-30 yrs.
You are only a couple of years younger than my kids.
Believe it or not, I was young once and am quite in touch with your generation.
I'm not oblivious to what young women want, as that doesn't change much over the years either.

Women are not attracted to jerks. They are attracted to confidence and independence.
The men who strike out like to use that as an excuse.

Seriously, you have a very bad temper and if a few strangers that you take offense to (when none is intended) can get you that upset and hostile, there's a problem.
It's not normal to lash out like that, no matter how much you want to believe it is.
It shows instability.

Nobody knows all the POF rules by heart except for moderators.
Signing up on a website automatically implies that you familiarize yourself with and obey the rules.
That's life.

If you think that people or the world in general owes you something because you haven't had an easy life, you are sadly mistaken.
You don't know other peoples' stories and you should never assume you've had it worse.
Personal responsibility is a part of growing up.
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 65
Profile Help
Posted: 12/10/2014 4:58:49 PM

Now women hardly talk to anyone cause they think their the shit and deserve everything for nothing,

Now THAT is funny, maybe you should take a peek in the mirror, just saying.
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 67
Profile Help
Posted: 12/10/2014 7:08:29 PM

There is such a generational gap in women its ridiculous.
I so far agree with tatersprout's assessment.

I don't care if you get 1, 15, 25, or 50 messages a day, if you're not interested, take the time to tell them, it will literally take 2 minutes to view their profile and tell them youre not interested if youre not, why is this such a difficult task?!
You truly expect a woman to spend 100 minutes a day saying, "no"? That is nearly 2 hours of her time you think she should dedicate *just* to replying. Some of those guys will interpret any response as an invitation to continue the conversation and so she will have to add extra time replying to those replies. Throw in time she may want to spend searching for guys herself.

She could spend 2 hours a day bettering herself, being a productive member of society, spending time with friends or anything at all. Yet you would rather women to spend that time making sure the boys of the world have high self-esteem and sense of entitlement.

In the first page of messages NOBODY even offered any advice, guidance, etc
The *very* first reply gave you a paragraph-by-paragraph breakdown of topics to write about in your profile. Was that not considered advice? Was that not considered guidance? I'm honestly perplexed as to what you expected us to say. Can you please give an example of the proper etiquette for reviewing a profile in your perception?
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 69
Profile Help
Posted: 12/10/2014 10:29:40 PM

Posted: 11/17/2014 513 PM
We can not write it for you OP, we can only help you tweak it.

You need 3 solid paragraphs of 4 to 8 sentences each.

First one needs to describe your personality using unique traits, second one is what you enjoy, then close with the unique traits you find most attractive in a woman.

Profile tips at the top of the page in green.

Post back to THIS thread when you want another looksee.

"Hi there and welcome to the forums! Yes online dating can be rough (especially for young men such as yourself) but we'll be glad to help you out. You're profile is not quite as good as it could be, but we'll help you change that! *if they dont have much written* Hmm I see you must be new here as you have not much to work with, there is a topic about profile building tips if you were not aware of that (as I was not, don't assume everyone knows everything about something just because you do.). I suggest reading those, work on touching up your profile a bit, then we'll help you fine tune it!"

You keep going on and on about others feeling "entitled", it is sad you are unable to see the beam in your eye.

You feel ENTITLED to have a VOLUNTEER that willing gives YOU their time to say hi to YOU.

Young man, you have a VERY distorted view of reality, the reality of it is this.

There are MANY people here asking for help with their profile, and there is a relatively small number of regular reviewers, I would guess 8 or 10.

Do you begin to comprehend it can take me as long as 30 minutes to do a complete review? That's right, I type with two fingers, and am VERY slow by most standards. (No, yours was not a complete review)

Therefore I take great effort to keep my suggestions as to the point as possible, with little or no unnecessary useless fluff.

I gave you EVERYTHING you needed to get a good start on a good profile, and the ONLY thing you cared about was "I couldn't read"

THAT dear boy is a feeling of ENTITLEMENT, and yes, I DO mean BOY, you have a very long way to go to becoming a man.

I truly hope you can get there one day soon, I really do.

Best wishes

Jerry
 oldfashmntman
Msg: 71
Profile Help
Posted: 12/11/2014 1:25:55 AM

Well best I can do Jerry is tell you I'm sorry so many people took my comment to heart and started white knighting you. If people think this is such a waste of their time I wonder why people still comment on this thread...Honestly if this is the best help POF can offer me I think I'm better off on any other dating site, the people from the forums are WAY nicer and loads more helpful compared to what I've seen here

That is entirely up to you, it isn't too late to grow up a little, change your additude, use the good advice you have been freely given, and write a great profile.

Best wishes

Jerry
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 72
Profile Help
Posted: 12/11/2014 1:35:21 AM
Guys, just give it up, you're fighting a losing battle here. Don't argue with an idiot - he'll just drag you down to your level and beat you with experience.

Just report the thread to the mods - if there are any now??
 Ainen
Msg: 73
Profile Help
Posted: 12/11/2014 4:16:47 AM
Before you wiped out your profile text, it was satisfactory with some good text. I didn't see anything needy in the text. If you saved that text, you could restore it if you ever want a legit profile.

The photo with the teacher wasn't good for this site because you were 18 and at your age, the more mature you look, the better. College age girls don't find an 18 year old appealing. The other two photos were OK. You could get new photos at a touristy place. For example, the Shedd Aquarium has long lines; should be easy to find someone willing to take an outdoor photo of you while they wait in line.

Whether to reply when not interested has been discussed in thousands of posts. I believe most people prefer not to get a reply. Seeing "you have a new message" might get one's hopes up only to be disappointed by the "good luck in your search". Not responding is most efficient for both sides. Unfortunately, if you write in your profile text you prefer they send you a "no thanks", people will be *less* likely to reply, because the people who write that are more likely to respond with hate mail.

Obama voters? There are unending political threads in the off topic section, a possible outlet if you want to rant and argue indefinitely.
 PurpleZebra12
Msg: 74
Profile Help
Posted: 12/11/2014 4:31:24 AM
Good luck with your search.
 SHS24
Msg: 75
Profile Help
Posted: 12/11/2014 7:43:20 AM
When will you all admit that you all act like a bunch of douches when someone asks for a profile review? It's like asking for a review is an invite to be insulted and belittled. Then when someone defends themselves it's THEM who is being rude and obnoxious. In what way is being called an idiot and such other personal insults considered helpful advice?
 Tiny_danc3r
Msg: 76
Profile Help
Posted: 12/11/2014 9:18:19 AM

It's like asking for a review is an invite to be insulted and belittled. Then when someone defends themselves it's THEM who is being rude and obnoxious

As someone who's new to the forums... It does seem that way sometimes... and I have thicker skin than most, but I got some very personal attacks on my review and was accused of "arguing" when in fact I was just discussing why I had written my profile as I had... At the same time, I think this OP was rude in his responses even when people tried to be helpful... Yes, there are some harsh critics here, but if someone is rude to you, the best response is always to be the bigger person... Don't take things personally and don't make personal attacks... I also think a lot of those reviewing could tone things down a bit, remember that not everyone can handle brusk manners, or has the ability to call you on it without lashing out.
 LovinU401
Msg: 77
Profile Help
Posted: 12/11/2014 11:19:48 AM
Ok you think your profile is so great and better than mine was, ok lets give you a taste of your own medicine:

Your headline is stupid. Nobody's gonna get that or remember it.

You have 3 lame pathetic photos, none of which you are smiling in and you look half asleep in them. Any sober woman would click 'No' in the 'meet me' looking at any one of those photos.

My names Ricardo, I'm a tad quirky but always upbeat.

Your name is already on your profile, no need to repeat it twice.

What drives me to succeed in life is being ambitious and career oriented, I love working towards success. Currently, I work two jobs; I'm mainly looking peruse a career in the networking field. Right now, I'm going to college for my associates in Information tech.

Your grammar here is simply atrocious to say the least.

On my spare time, I love going to the gym and working out. Although my day job provides me with enough exercise, I still like to live a active lifestyle. When it comes to music; for the most part I listen to some hip-hop or rap, every now and then I will be open to whatever is on the radio. My interest in computers and electronics stems back to when I was in my early teens. I love trying trying to diagnose issues and getting things going again.

Again, god awful grammar and you skip around subjects too much. "I do this, oh and I like to do this, oh and this is another interest!" Expand on your interests don't just list them, that is what the 'Interests' box is for.

Doesn't matter to me. We can meet up at the mall or anywhere in public and go from there. I'm pretty much open for whatever. At night we can hit up a bar for some drinks, grab some lunch during the day, and get to know each other.

Be more specific, you sound like you don't care at all, put some damn interest into how you would sweep her off her feet. Girls go to the mall to shop and hang out all the time, that's what they have girlfriends for, do you want to be her girlfriend?! Hitting up a bar for drinks, how classy and original. *rolls eyes*

Never once do you describe what you are looking for in a woman. You do not stand out from any of the many other guys you are in competition and theres nothing in your profile that makes you sound unique or even remotely interesting unless there is a very lonely gamer girl on here looking for someone to play video games with 24/7.

P.S I hope nobody here thinks I'm being mean or rude, I'm just giving some brutally honest advice. [\quote]

^^^^
Bro tbh I've had better success lately women in real life. My profile is just the same just because. Do you not realize I know my writing sucks?? I'll admit that I never payed attention in English class, So the F*&^ what, No need to try and be a douche. I can be quite the****back js. Stupid quote thing isn't working right for w.e reason
 LovinU401
Msg: 78
Profile Help
Posted: 12/11/2014 1:45:10 PM
The difference between me and you is I've never lashed out on any help given. Have I felt insulted in some shape or form.... Kinda but I know what my weaknesses are. do me a fav and grow a pair of balls; Why don't you worry about your profile and I'll deal with mine with a profile review when I feel inclined to work on it.
 SHS24
Msg: 82
Profile Help
Posted: 12/12/2014 12:14:14 AM

...da **** did I just read...not paying attention is one thing, but who the hell let you pass the class?!?!

LOL @!
 LovinU401
Msg: 84
Profile Help
Posted: 12/12/2014 3:49:52 AM

Bro tbh I've had better success lately women in real life. My profile is just the same just because. Do you not realize I know my writing sucks?? I'll admit that I never payed attention in English class, So the F*&^ what, No need to try and be a douche. I can be quite the****back js. Stupid quote thing isn't working right for w.e reason

...da **** did I just read...not paying attention is one thing, but who the hell let you pass the class?!?!

Okay just because I'm not educationally smart doesn't mean anything. Most people are probably like me, except I can spell my words. Just because you might have a higher GPA than me don't mean s!$@. For your information I've been out of school for a good six years with only a HS diploma. Obviously I forgotten even the most common grammar mistakes. Word of advice don't take whatever these people say to heart. I've looked back at your previous posts and all you do is **** and whine about how no woman has messaged you back etc etc. when I've posted my profile review, I was open minded at to what these people had told me.... Just my two cents
 SHS24
Msg: 85
Profile Help
Posted: 12/12/2014 5:14:47 PM
Going by some of the logic around here, all a scrub has to do is rearrange a couple sentences and get some pics with "better lighting" and all the sudden he's a pickup artist? WTF!!??
 CTRLvector
Msg: 87
Profile Help
Posted: 12/12/2014 10:12:22 PM

Going by some of the logic around here, all a scrub has to do is rearrange a couple sentences and get some pics with "better lighting" and all the sudden he's a pickup artist? WTF!!??

First of all, what is a scrub? If its a guy who has trouble getting attention on POF, its probably every guy who isn't ideal or significantly above average. Secondly, no rearranging sentences will not make a significant difference, but it will help if you value taking advantage of everything you can to make yourself more attractive.

Pictures ultimately are what will lead to a response, and a date. Attraction/desire is 9/10ths of the law when dating. So you will want to have flattering pictures. Grainy shots that look like they were taken in a basement, featuring you with a 1,000 yard stare aren't going to cut it.

I mean think about it, who is a girl more likely to connect to - A guy who appears happy, engaged, and upbeat. Or you, in a basement, with that same blank expression?

I don't know if you're just used to half assing your way through things. But if you want to do things right, you take advantage of every opportunity that you can. Or you could just complain about the criticism and how difficult it is to get women to respond.
 SHS24
Msg: 88
Profile Help
Posted: 12/12/2014 11:28:08 PM
Typical forum reviewer: Hello there, your profile sucks, sorry not sorry, you're stupid, did you read the profile writing tips no one new here knows exists moron?

Lolololol I almost died. So funny and so true.

--"Hey guys, I'm new here and would like some feedback to improve my profile and response rate."

--"Headline and pics are HORRIBLE!! The lighting is bad and you look like an idiot in both of them. Moron. Didn't you read the profile writing tips highlighted in green at the top of the page??"

--"But I have no cam currently to take any more pictures so I went with what I can."

--"SHUT UP! Stop your arguing and stop being a rude, obnoxious douche! By arguing you just look insecure."

--"But...."

--" Also your writing is LAME and uninspired. Your interests are so boring I almost fell asleep reading them. No girl will date you, not even the last women on earth. Come back with better pics and a personality description so you don't look like such a fool."
 CTRLvector
Msg: 89
Profile Help
Posted: 12/12/2014 11:55:37 PM

By arguing you just look insecure!"

The way you're overreacting to criticism is the basis for citing your insecurity, but what did you think was going to happen? You really put no effort into creating a profile, and then you expect people to validate your attempt as anything other than a half measure?

Yeah the comments were rough, but your profile is rough, and you argue so defensively that the whole point is lost. You need to grow thicker skin asap.
 SHS24
Msg: 90
Profile Help
Posted: 12/13/2014 12:20:27 AM
Yeah and what is the date on me asking for a profile review? Unless you were watching my page you don't know what effort I put in or didn't.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  >