Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Bill Cosby V. Multiple rapes      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mike11091
Msg: 26
Bill Cosby V. Multiple rapesPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Also people are awarded monetary compensation ALL of the time, why is THIS so different?
Because if she was REALLY raped she wouldn't WANT the money and would JUST want justice?

There are civil cases normally executed after trials. OJ's trial is a good example.

They can have both. And the civil courts are a little more amenable.

On the OTHER hand...who's going to listen to ONE woman, up against a "cultural icon"?

At the time that most of these cases had occurred, he was not an icon. He was a comedian. Also, not trying to be racist, but he was a black comedian. And back then, black people weren't treated the best, I'm sure there were plenty of racist cops that would have been more than willing to save the damsel in distress.

For the trauma, I can only imagine. I didn't say what I said to upset anyone. It was just the way that my mind processed information. I have never been victimized, so I can't accurately portray how anyone would feel. I guess I was just curious if, at any point, the thought occurs to protect your fellow people.

This is expected of men all the time, so I have that natural affinity to worry about how my actions affect the group as a whole.
 Dee4166
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Bill Cosby V. Multiple rapes
Posted: 11/20/2014 7:16:06 AM

There are civil cases normally executed after trials. OJ's trial is a good example.

They can have both. And the civil courts are a little more amenable.

Well you have to win your criminal case for it to be effective in civil court, as I understand it and the point was that it was unlikely that would have happened...

As for being a "black comedian", well, he was as much a black comedian as Eddie Murphy , in his time, and rich and famous, trumps "black" any day.....By the time that his show aired in 1984 he was ALREADY filling pretty large venues and was a VERY well-known comedian ... and I would even go so far as to say that his name was already a household word...in general...although his show itself, was really what launched him into the "icon status"...

As I understand American jurisprudence, a prosecutor has to have some assurance of actually winning a trial to take it to court, and that, in a reasonable amount of time...
I don't know the particulars of the cases back then, but I DO know that the laws had way fewer protections for women and many more prejudices against rape victims than they do today....So those first few victims would have been in the position of having to accuse someone rich and famous, and if you think that the rich get away with a LOT today, well, let me tell you, it was even easier back then without the internet and so MUCH media available to the average person...
So, it's really NOT a matter of racist cops at all...
As for being upset, I'm really not, in fact I think I even said that I understood that thinking...but thing is, this really ISN'T a crime like many others and often women who are rape victims (and men, as well) suffer such severe PTSD from the trauma that they are barely able to function and take care of themselves never mind think of anyone else....
As for that being "expected of men"...I'm really not sure what you mean by that exactly..?
 mike11091
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/20/2014 7:53:24 AM
Societal expectations of men.

Often perpetuated by men.

They are expected to be providers and protectors. It's buried deep in my stubborn mind. I didn't know, for example, if my logic that a woman should step forward to protect the others was just my brain working off of it's instincts.

You do make a good point about the race card. I had forgotten, for a moment, that the women's rights movement was also in it's infancy. I'm not exactly an expert on that period of time. I was born in 1985, so...it's all literally before I was a glimmer in my father's eye.

Also, the reason I brought up the OJ Simpson trial, was because he won in criminal court and lost in civil court.

I think it's easier to prove civil cases because you don't have a legal definition to prove. (Ie: you don't have to prove that someone violated the law, or a code). It's more about a person's responsibility for what occurred.

That just furthers my earlier point that my country is much more concerned about money than putting away the "bad guys" so to speak.
 daynadaze
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2014 2:52:57 PM
yes, I meant that the actual alleged crimes happen a long time ago, there's no evidence like they could come up with now. These girls had semen on them, that would be huge evidence now, if they could legally get Cosby's DNA. The number of people raped and abuse, and males fall into this too, is very high. The idea that you could go to court and win, is very low. Even today people are going to make the victim look bad, in most cases. Men/boys rarely come forward at all, and girls who are prefect virgins who had been with someone in the first place are often called liars. Rape is a horrible thing and most people never say a word, because most know they won't be believed, or worse may be further harmed by the rapist. If you have never been raped, you probably cannot imagine what it's like for the victim. One of the most common reactions is to think it's your fault, that you shouldn't have been there, that you somehow made the rapist react that way.

In 1986 Bill Cosby was most differently an icon. I remember him being very popular in the 60s & 70s, even my very racist father had a Bill Cosby comedy album.
 mike11091
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/20/2014 2:56:43 PM

In 1986 Bill Cosby was most differently an icon

I did not know this.

I didn't think he hit icon status until well into the 90's.

But, thinking about it, that's because in 80's I didn't know anything. Late 80's I started to care about eating...but that's about it...
 Walts
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/20/2014 5:14:00 PM

On the OTHER hand...who's going to listen to ONE woman, up against a "cultural icon"?

Well, take a listen to the "latest" victim. She is saying NOW, that she wants others to be strong, thus the reason she is coming forward. And take a look at our Canadian Ghomeshi . One action creates how many victims to come forward?????? These scenes are never easy but, to sit silently, when ANYTHING has gone wrong, is NOT RIGHT!!!! I'm not blaming victims here, I'm just saying using the "reasoning" that it's hard, or no one will listen is a bit of cop out. If you speak loudly enough, and I do mean loudly, there will be people listening. In this day and age, we have the ability to voice our displeasure to quite a large audience really quickly. Use it. And please, do not accept $$$$$$$ to keep your yap shut. Ya may feel good for a moment, but, it won't last. In fact, it could easily haunt the rest of your life,,,,looking back with "I should have".
 Dee4166
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2014 6:11:01 PM

In this day and age, we have the ability to voice our displeasure to quite a large audience really quickly. Use it.

Wasn't talking about THIS day and age, but back when the FIRST victim was assaulted in the 80's...

A VERY different time and with very different laws....

I'm just saying using the "reasoning" that it's hard, or no one will listen is a bit of cop out. If you speak loudly enough, and I do mean loudly, there will be people listening

Not a "cop out" and I didn't say "it was hard", I said that at that time, with the laws the way they were, it actually would have been the end of her.....IF she made it through the court process where rape victims are STILL today OFTEN re-violated after the actual rape....and back then and often today, NOBODY wants to listen unless of course it's somebody famous doing the raping...

And please, do not accept $$$$$$$ to keep your yap shut. Ya may feel good for a moment, but, it won't last. In fact, it could easily haunt the rest of your life,,,,looking back with "I should have".

As for this...already addressed that in my last post....
You are entitled to your opinion....I just disagree with it COMPLETELY....
 gtomustang
Msg: 33
Posted: 11/20/2014 6:51:58 PM
Mark it on the calender, I'm agreeing with Dee :)

From what I know,the storm was raised recently by another male comedian. He opened the door, and all these victims walked thru. These days, esp. when college campuses are focusing on sexual assault, people will more likely listen to a victim not as big as Bill Cosby, come out and say, "Bill Cosby isn't the nice Dad figure you think he is."

But back when BC was bigger than Jeff Dunham? I think some 19 yr old girl claiming rape wasn't going to get beyond National Enquirer. BC actually was a "crossover" act then, plenty of people who didn't like "them" watched the Cosby show. People would want to keep believing what made them comfortable. Compare to, say, Bill Clinton. There was an entire political party that wanted to hear he was a bad guy, so they listened and didn't dismiss. but for other well-liked celebrities, well, "say it ain't so, Joe." that hasn't changed since the days of Shoeless Joe coming out of Congress.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2014 8:18:36 PM
Once again another popular celebrity gets in the spotlight for being human. All throughout his career Mr Cosby was celebrated for being the type of human being that made us all happy to be human. Great dad, great actor, funny comedian...

If all of these recent charges prove to be true it would simply prove Mr Cosby to once again be simply....Human. Perhaps not the side of humanity he'd care to project but nonetheless and no less...Human. If it's All true I'm sure the proof will be in the Jello pudding.
 cotter
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2014 8:34:53 PM
OP ... no one deserves to be raped or molested in any way.

I hope somehow this will all be resolved.

I can't forget a time back when girls were throwing themselves at all the hot bands making their way through our country. Loads and loads of groupies doing everything they could to get into bed with the bands.

I'm truly hoping that it will not eventually be exposed that some of these women were doing that same thing with Bill Cosby. That would not excuse rape or any other kind of bad behavior, but it does shed some sort of different light on things.

While performing in the Grand Caymans and also in Cancun, I was approached in much the same way. LMAO ... my boyfriend was sitting at the table with me when the guys came over and tried to put the moves on me.
 calguy14
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/20/2014 8:34:55 PM
@Walts
One of the women had to admit on Air that She had to suck Cosby's rock.So how many men do you know of that admitted they were forced to suck****during wars?Nothing would be accomplished except humiliation.Some women feel the same way about filing complaints.
 mike11091
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/20/2014 8:56:54 PM

Once again another popular celebrity gets in the spotlight for being human.

He allegedly drugged women and raped them. Human isn't the word I'd use...

There's a list of 15 different women, all spread out over the years...

While performing in the Grand Caymans and also in Cancun, I was approached in much the same way. LMAO ... my boyfriend was sitting at the table with me when the guys came over and tried to put the moves on me.

Now, I understand that argument, because it's what's so...odd about this. You'd think a guy that wasn't known for being a "bad" dude would be smart enough to keep himself out of compromising situations.

Personally, there isn't much I can say to that end. All I can say, for certain, is that this whole thing makes the Justice system (in the US)look like a joke.
 Dee4166
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2014 1:22:02 AM

Personally, there isn't much I can say to that end. All I can say, for certain, is that this whole thing makes the Justice system (in the US)look like a joke.

I'm with you on that Mike....and here in Canada too...
Here in Quebec, about ten years ago there was a judge who decided that the ongoing rape of a 5 year old child WASN'T considered a "sexual assault" because she had ONLY been "penetrated anally"...on a daily basis for 2 years of her Life....
All I could think was what if it had been the judge's OWN daughter....Wonder if she would see things the same way...? And yes, you read RIGHT, it WAS a FEMALE judge on top of it....I'm STILL disgusted by that story...Fortunately she was removed from the bench because even her own peers were baffled and disgusted by her ruling....I believe that she's serving her "time" in traffic court these days...

Ahhh...it's SUCH A wonderful WORLD sometimes, don't ya think?

On a lighter note...

@gto....

Mark it on the calender, I'm agreeing with Dee :)

I'm pretty SURE that's a sign of The Coming Apocalypse, isn't it?!?!?!....LMAO ;)
 cotter
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2014 4:48:47 AM

All I can say, for certain, is that this whole thing makes the Justice system (in the US)look like a joke.
Are you just discovering that? That's nothing new ... all the way up to the Supreme Court.
 Fire_and_Ice4_You
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/21/2014 7:43:58 AM

He allegedly drugged women and raped them. Human isn't the word I'd use

Yes...seriously....who the hell does that on a regular basis??
IMO...It's true!
These women have nothing to gain from this at this point. From what I understand there will be no monetary gain as the statute of limitations has run out.
He can't be sued or charged...unless a more recent one comes forward....cripes, that's unlikely what is he 80?

Let's not forget, these women were young and in the ole days....many stars did things...we had no idea about.
We didn't have the access to what went on and instant media coverage...as we do now.
They had people that kept things out of the news and yes, those that rose any kind of threat were paid off...Gawd, Rock Hudson was gay and it was pretty much not common knowledge until he got aids...what a shocker !!

Cosby was famous....rich and intimidating and very arrogant(still is) lots of famous people think they are above the laws.
One woman said....He said to her..You were drinking...sooo what?
As for crazy Angie****nson....she probably doesn't add much credability to the accusations...because she is such a nutbar but don't forget, she also was younger and admitted to drinking with him and was trying to get a gig of some sort.
There are others that have now come forward that are more believable.

All....I know, if he was so innocent of these charges then....why the hush money.??
Us....fans think we know these people from their unscreen personna...one word...actor!
It is sad for his family.
I am sure he only has regrets now because it has resurfaced and more have come forward.
He has enough money......He needs to keep denying as he is now and just go away.
Pretty sure he is no longer a threat to women anymore.
 Fire_and_Ice4_You
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/21/2014 8:57:46 AM
I just wanted to add....apparently, it wasn't any of the alleged "rape victims" that opened this can of worms.....
Apparently....a male comedy act....got the talk and accusations started up....he was mocking Cosbys holier than thou attitude about other commediennes(sp) using swear words in their act...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HUPK34aiXE
 mike11091
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/21/2014 9:09:03 AM
That may be part of it, but three days ago the "E" channel ran a special.

http://www.etonline.com/news/154076_janice_dickinson_details_alleged_bill_cosby_sexual_assault/
 gtomustang
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/21/2014 3:08:17 PM
"On a lighter note...@gto....Mark it on the calender, I'm agreeing with Dee :) I'm pretty SURE that's a sign of The Coming Apocalypse, isn't it?!?!?!....LMAO ;) "

>>>>Dr. Huxtable has turned into a predator rapist, there's 7 feet of snow at once in NY, and I agree with Dee...if it ain't the Apocalypse coming, I'm not sure I'll like whatever it is :) lol

Its easy to label one accuser a fruitcake. But a bunch of fruitcakes all at once? Its possible, but...if I'm standing in the woods and a bunch of animals run by in the same direction, I'm gonna assume there's a good reason :)

In the end, the truth's gonna come out. If its all fruitcake, someone's gonna dig up the proof. Alas, there's money to be made by publishing it, so there's a reason to find it and do it.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2014 5:08:39 AM
Nothing new about respected people being child molesters/rapist etc. and not being brought to face allegations/a court.
Young women/girls are esp afraid of being blamed or not believed and men with some power, fame or prestige scare the hell out of them.
They are often told by those they trust ( parents) to drop it and just take the money or get over it.
Look at Priests, Dr.s and boy scout leaders for Petes sake, coaches and teachers that abuse kids ( men and women).
Most are not reported.Again blame a lot on those they do tell.

Paying someone to not go public/ through a trail doesnt mean guilt always.
But I sure wouldn't pay someone. I would raise hell if accused of something I didn't do.
In this case I think Cosby is guilty.
DNA/semen only means he ejaculated.So thats freaking ridiculous.
No one said he beat them bloody to check under nails and take pics of faces.

As far as M Jackson. I watched one of those trials. That kid was lying if he was breathing.
No kid forgets the details he did. He couldn't even tell you if he had on shorts or long pants.
Most molesters dont put themselves in stupid positions like MJ did to be accused.
They are usually sneaky like Cosby seemed to me to be..

Just because Janice D is a bit "off" to some, doesn't make her a liar.
She was a young, absolutely gorgeous kid wanting to get further in her career,trusted an older respected man with power/fame in entertainment, so maybe her abuse lead to some of her current behavior.
She remembered details even drugged and drinking.
Who would imagine BC in a patchwork robe?

Why not just say robe or naked?
Sexual perversion and abuse is rampant.
There should be no statute of limitations imo, esp when multiple people come forward and the victims are under 25 at the time of the alleged assault.

another popular celebrity gets in the spotlight for being human.

^^^^^Are you stupid or did I miss interpret that?

but he was a black comedian

Now that IS stupid.
To much smoke ( since 1969) for there not to be a fire.
 mike11091
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/22/2014 6:48:10 AM

but he was a black comedian

Now that IS stupid.

No, what's stupid is coming on to a thread after someone has already admitted his own ignorance and calling them stupid.

I wasn't alive at the time. I'm alive now and racism is still here. It's safe, then, to assume that racism existed back then, is it not?

You'll have to forgive me for not knowing EXACTLY what happened in the decades preceding my birth. History class was a long time ago.
 daynadaze
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2014 10:13:35 PM
Lisa Bonet has posted a rather cryptic Twitter thingie saying something about Cosby not being able to keep things quiet forever. That's not anywhere close to a quote, but it makes it sound like she's not backing Cosby. I know there was talk when he bought her a fancy car and gave her her own show many years ago when she was young, but she acted out and was fired. Now maybe she's just a pain in the butt, but someone having been sexually mistreated often ends up acting out. I do not think Cosby being silent is going to make this go away.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2014 4:20:24 AM

No, what's stupid is coming on to a thread after someone has already admitted his own ignorance and calling them stupid.

I'll come on and comment to anything I want to. If you get upset, maybe you need to back off the forums that have a subject other than the new boy bands.
I dont have time to sit on my arse and read every comment you/others make. If you admitted it was stupid, so be it.
It still was a stupid thing to say, so get over it or don't.

You being from another era would not have any conception of what it was like at all.
You still don't/can't.You think you do all of a sudden..That's not possible to really get it by you just having been told, you never lived it.

Being "defiled" or"stained" as they would have called it back then and some even today in some circles by a black man or some other *non acceptable* person would have ruined a young * esp* white woman in that day and time when it wasn't even acceptable to have intercourse with a black man as a BF or husband.So its the opposite of your statement.

someone having been sexually mistreated often ends up acting out. I do not think Cosby being silent is going to make this go away.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agree 100%

That was my point with Dicknson ( acting out/drugs/coming off as unstable)

I know as a teen in my era and my friends family/town/social circle, 2 things may have happened.
We come forward and be ostracized for being "unclean", in the wrong place, with the wrong person, wearing the wrong clothes and no white man/woman would ever look at us the same, much less touch us.
OR
Just have shot him dead and lied saying he" tried "to rape me so no one would know he did. The MOST likely scenario above.
We would have never had our word questioned in our town /in that era at all.

But to admit penetration would NOT be something we would have done.No way.
Not in a million years. Any race could have entered the equation of being ruined or stained, him being black would have just made it that much worse.

Hell, today in some circles/societies in many areas they would still have the same attitudes toward rape.She is now dirty/ruined for a decent man or society.
It would have brought disgrace upon the family and circle of friends, me shooting him would not have for "attempted" rape.

ANYHOO.
Its revolting and if true (which I am convinced of) hope there can be some civil/type of justice down the line and will screw his career and break his bank.
Many young child stars have come forward ( just as many young boys as girls) about being sexually molested from photographers to producers and directors.

Cosby wont say anything because he could slip up/ his memory on dates/times/etc could be waning and be proven to lie about a lot of things .
The wife's lack of reaction to all of this is astounding also.
 Fire_and_Ice4_You
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/23/2014 5:55:38 AM
Yes...You're absolutely right about Angie****nson and I apologize for my comment.
If this happened to her...it doesn't/shouldn't matter what her personality is and it probably did contribute to her drug and alchohol abuse.

I am convinced it is true also! I only wish there will be some type of punishment....even his last comedy act, he made fun of the whole accusations in a round about way! Just arrogant and stupid!
I don't understand his wife's reaction either.

Hhhmmm...I wonder if Lisa Bonet knows something...she may have been another pay off!
 mike11091
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/23/2014 6:49:18 AM

I'll come on and comment to anything I want to. If you get upset, maybe you need to back off the forums that have a subject other than the new boy bands.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

I dont have time to sit on my arse and read every comment you/others make.

So...why bother?

I'll come on and comment to anything I want to. If you get upset, maybe you need to back off the forums

Commenting on a topic is one thing; brazenly attacking other posters is another. And they have rules for that. (it's #14, if you're curious.

You think you do all of a sudden..

Not at all. Never did...which would be why I made the statement: I don't know about the era immediately preceding my birth.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2014 7:54:28 AM
Msg 44, in post 34 I said this...
If all of these recent charges prove to be true it would simply prove Mr Cosby to once again be simply....Human. Perhaps not the side of humanity he'd care to project but nonetheless and no less...Human. If it's All true I'm sure the proof will be in the Jello pudding.

You then questioned my intelligence for posting my observation. How was Cosby being anything but human for doing what he's been accused of? Human behavior is not just the good things we do but also the bad. All, uniquely human... Much as not reading and or misinterpreting a persons opinion post and jumping to conclusions about their intellectual level. But... it's OK. You're only human after all.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Bill Cosby V. Multiple rapes