Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 milklover
Msg: 496
IS it me or should HIP HOP be DEAD YET?Page 21 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
Uh, all you people saying DiScO died must be on crack rock. DiScO will never die, and the echoes are heard through out a lot of music and different types of music still today. As for Hiphop, well it has become very stale over the past 5 years. They really need to figure something out.. I always have to go back to old school jams from the 80s, 90s, and early 2ks to really enjoy hiphop. Some good stuff is sprinkled out here and there today, but it is sparse. I do fear its demise because these new 'formulas' are not working very well.
 DonCarlo
Msg: 499
IS it me or should HIP HOP be DEAD YET?
Posted: 10/13/2009 2:23:48 PM
If anything, it'll go back underground. But thats no completely likel considering the industry will milk the hell out of it as long as there is a demographic around to support it. Hip Hop is and always has been a youth movement, but as it stands now needs be more balanced. Like I said, the industry will push anything that can and will make money no matter how much I cant stand Soulja Boy. For me, the underground, independent hip hop is where its at. so in both respects, no its not going away. And like I told a friend of mine; If you dont like it, its just not for you. Support the music that you do like.
 UncommonAnt
Msg: 500
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2009 3:46:03 AM
It's you and it will never die. :-)
 CumberlandIsTheBestLand
Msg: 501
Posted: 7/20/2011 10:20:57 AM
Tried to start a topic about Underground Hip Hop, but got blocked from doing it. So, I'll just resurrect this while adding, hip hop isn't dead. There is some great materiel out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djG9g5hCOfU&feature=feedf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObYUF5NxXJ4&feature=fvst
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVdMKefFh8U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd_W_x3nclY
 ndralcasid
Msg: 502
Posted: 7/25/2011 3:25:22 AM
^this man gets props.

Hip-Hop one of the most misunderstood mediums of music out there. The mainstream stuff kind of tainted it, but nowadays, it's not even relevant in pop music anymore (the EDM influenced stuff has been largely taking over).

There's A LOT of good underground stuff if you actually take the time to find and appreciate
 CumberlandIsTheBestLand
Msg: 503
Posted: 7/26/2011 12:01:48 PM
Thanks, it's nice to be noticed. Also, I'm grooving on Army of the Pharaohs, a lot.
 WorldTraveler74
Msg: 505
Posted: 7/27/2011 7:56:20 PM
It does just need to die. Horribly annoying intellectually neutered crap that it is.
 CumberlandIsTheBestLand
Msg: 506
Posted: 7/27/2011 9:04:29 PM

worldtraveler74: It does just need to die. Horribly annoying intellectually neutered crap that it is.

This is anything but intellectually neutered: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIqrvUqp7Ok
 year_of_the_dog
Msg: 507
Posted: 8/3/2011 8:16:07 PM
vancanuck13, I hear what you're saying about record companies telling artists what to wear, what to sing, etc. But they've been doing it for years. If it weren't for his record label trying to ride the MC Hammer bandwagon Vanilla Ice would have had a much better run than what he did. From what I've read, he didn't even want to be doing the kind of rap that he was doing and even he thought his outfits and hairstyle were ridiculous, but in order to keep doing music he had to conform. On another note, in regards to appreciating music styles I don't care for, I'm with you on that, too. As a musician I have almost no choice but to respect the musical talents of other musicians, but Hip Hop? Todays rap? Ok, I'm very much into lyrics. As a lyricist I feel that what you say should have substance, meaning... maybe even emotion. I want to know what's in your heart or your mind at the time the song was written. I don't remember who mentioned earlier in this thread about how we've the same topics with hip hop and top 40 over and over and over... it's so damn annoying, isn't it? Please, for the love of God and all that is holy in this world share something with me that MEANS something. How is it that clubbing, getting drunk or getting laid are the most important things to these "artists"? I'll tell you how... it's because it's NOT what's important to them. What IS important is that these are the topics of songs that sell these days. As long as consumers keep on buying this garbage it is never going to go away. Personally... I don't get why it's as popular as it is. I listen to pretty much nothing but indie and alternative music. Both genres are so vast and wide and continually changing and expanding and the artists actually (more often than not) write their own stuff. Funny thing is... these indie and alternative artists are actually a lot more popular than the mass media (ie. radio stations) like for us to believe. They don't play it, therefore you don't hear it. I'm lucky enough to live in the "City of Live Music", which is why there is a station which plays nothing but indie, alternative and local music. I love Austin, in that respect. Anyway, I could seriously go on forever about this topic, I'm just glad I'm not the only person who feels this way. Thanks

Dean
 aBaldBeau
Msg: 509
Posted: 8/10/2011 12:12:42 AM

well
from personally experience whenever a genre of music totally takes over the
top-ten it becomes over saturated and over

Is HIP HOP
going to go away soon?

thoughts?

Well...when white people come up with something more innovative...Hip-Hop will die. Problem is, culturally...you guys are always emulating us. Don't hate the innovation, do something yourselves!!! BTW...my people created the Rock and Roll you guys love to claim so much too. Just so you know.
 R_O_U_S
Msg: 510
Posted: 8/10/2011 7:04:51 PM
dude if hip hop is given the chance to catch metal, there will be metal for future generations... check out refused shape of punk to come than look at a meal beat and rooterdam and any jungle beat over 185 pbms... thats a serious cascade bungle would be proud of...
 AirYeezy
Msg: 511
Posted: 8/12/2011 9:12:51 PM
to catch metal? Hip Hop is miles past metal with WTT released today hip hop is much alive and well
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 512
Posted: 8/13/2011 4:09:33 AM
Hip Hop is alive and well today.

Yeah, I find most of the mainstream stuff to be overly manufactured and weak, but that goes for every genre too. All anyone has to do is just stray off the mainstream path, and you will find that there is are awesome things being done in hip hop.
 PragmaticDoc
Msg: 513
Posted: 8/14/2011 2:17:09 AM
I rarely listen to hip-Hop or Rap, but it would be a travesty if we lost either. Music is Music, you don't like don't listen to it. That has worked for a hundred years.
 aBaldBeau
Msg: 514
Posted: 8/15/2011 12:04:21 PM

No one race invented R&R, sorry no. It's an amalgam and fusion of many styles, genres and innovators of many races, Ever heard of Ahmet Ertegün, Bihari Brothers, Phil Chess?
Hey, even flash forward and take a look at soul music (an ancestor of hip hop, via Jamaican "Sound System" DJs), …you think Motown was all "black", …Stax/Volt?.
You think there was no white people in the early days of hip hop?
Better take a look at history and lose that bullshit "my people" racist douchebaggery; unless you mean the "human race" when you say "my people"
Ignorance and bigotry will get you nowhere, …just so YOU know.

No one 'ethnic' group ('cause there's only one 'race') created R&B?

Can you make a distinction between who exploits, or has access to exploiting music and who creates it?

You can talk about Ahmet, the Bihari brothers and Phil Chess all day...the question still stands...WHO CREATED THE MUSIC...IT WASN'T WHITE PEOPLE.
You guys were stuck on Brahms and Bach, before you had any notion of the rhythms you heard from us. The majority of you were extolling Maria Callas while we were inventing these genres. So you can intellectualize all you want to about how many of your people were 'around' OUR music at it's inception. Sheer proximity doesn't make you one of the CREATORS OF THE MUSIC...KEY WORDS--CREATORS OF THE MUSIC. Stop thinking your people created everything, you haven't. And, Bigotry has nothing to do with this...furthermore, I hope your as critical of your white peers when they slam Hip-Hop because they are white men who play guitars and call themselves Rock and Roll musicians. They have no sense of history. They think it all started with Elvis...and even you should know that's nonsense.
 ghettoblasters
Msg: 515
Posted: 8/15/2011 10:14:52 PM
its a big misconception in music, hip-hop (especially in the late 80s early 90s) was in its golden era and the entire culture still holds the test of time to me anyways. What you mean to rip on im pretty sure is rap music. with all that autotuned, 4/4 whored, really gay crunkbeats and electro-stuff; it could probably be proven to make you stupid.

ask anyone yo, hiphop is the real shit.
 sincitydesigner66
Msg: 516
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2011 4:09:07 PM
The minute you had rappin granny, hip hop was dead, just ask the disco crowd...
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 517
Posted: 12/7/2011 3:55:05 PM
All the disco crowd did was re-brand the genre into dance music. Same thing, new name.
 deepsoulsailing
Msg: 520
Posted: 12/18/2011 11:06:31 AM
white people.....keeping it stupid since 1492.
 deepsoulsailing
Msg: 521
Posted: 12/18/2011 11:08:24 AM
like I said ....white people...keeping it stupid since 1492.
 Damienevil
Msg: 522
Posted: 12/20/2011 7:53:13 PM
I wish the style of hip hop that is playing now would go away. I dislike disco and most Hip hop I hear now is more like disco. I think Auto tune is screwing up all brands of music.
I love hip hop from about 92-2004 area.

Also I want to see any of the people who are trashing hip hop to create a song that will make millions and then do it to show your skills off or how easy it is.

The goal is to make money and then come out after and mocking the shit out of people who listen to it.
 DomG79
Msg: 523
Posted: 12/25/2011 4:29:14 AM
Mainstream, commercial Hip Hop is garbage, but that trend has followed other genres of music as well. It all sounds the same anymore.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 524
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2011 7:11:30 PM
Like all forms of music, hip hop will either evolve or die.
The only bands that can put forth the same old crap over and over and still stay on top are Kiss, AC DC and Slayer... no idea why.
Anyone that wants Hip hop or any other form of music out of the top 40 should make something more popular or stop whining.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >