Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 .tiamat.
Msg: 229
view profile
History
IS it me or should HIP HOP be DEAD YET?Page 3 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
OP - it's you. Hiphop is here to stay, in one form or another. If you trace the ethnomusicology on it, it's been around for a few hundred years already - the roots of hiphop lie in the Griot culture of the Mande tribes of west Africa. Listen to the rhythms of the traditional djembe music of that region (no, not north american hippy drum circles, not the same thing at all) and you will hear the basis of the rhythms that are used in not only hiphop, but jazz, blues, pretty much any dance music that came out of African roots. The dance styles of the region look very familiar as well to anyone familiar with hiphop styles of dance. The vocal styles of the Griots were self-referential and historical recitations of tribal histories... I could go on, but the connections are there and very apparent if you care to do the research.

Just because the mainstream of hiphop lacks finess and consciousness is no reason to bash a whole genre. Do a little homework first - there are some truly amazing artists out there who are advancing the musical form and the cultural content with every release. It's mostly the fault of the music industry that we get saddled with lowest-common-denominator gangsta-crap.
 kuvopolis
Msg: 231
IS it me or should HIP HOP be DEAD YET?
Posted: 12/29/2006 9:34:58 PM
Roninlei hit the nail on the head with his post.

Everything now is YO! YO! YO!. It really does blanket everything. It is the main reason why I stopped watching MTV and even VH1 now. Even "I Love Lucy" and "Motel 6" ads are hip-hop flavored now. WTF?
 mheath4
Msg: 241
Posted: 1/23/2007 9:15:30 AM
Hip Hop Music won't die until Hip Hop culture dies. The culture is too strong right now, and, if anything, it's only getting stronger.
 groundhog5000
Msg: 244
Posted: 2/17/2007 11:02:53 PM
No it won't die, because there are record comapnies and producers who are smart enough to give the people what they want instead of what they need...
 2findU
Msg: 247
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2007 1:39:52 PM
I can't stand Rap, Hip-Hop CRAP either. Why is it even still around?
 wolf47
Msg: 248
Posted: 2/18/2007 6:28:02 PM
I like a lot of rap music but lately alot of it seems to materialistic for my matter which is very hypocritical considering its supposed to be rebelious. There is nothing rebellious about showing off the most expensive jewellery, cars and mansions in your videos.
 intheswim
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2007 11:52:35 AM
It is sooo yesterday....boring repetitive crap. Makes Disco look good...and that's a stretch.

More dumbing down looking for the lowest common denominator.
 intheswim
Msg: 250
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2007 11:52:45 AM
ooops somehow double posted...boring and repetitive.
 Cavalier1968
Msg: 254
Posted: 2/23/2007 11:38:14 AM
"who said Beyonce is fluff? that woman can sing"

Noone said she couldn't sing...it's just the songs are simplistic and formulaic..."say my name"?...not the deepest lyrics ever written.

Hip Hop is suffering the same fate as any scene changing genre....after a while it becomes watered down for mass consumption and loses it's relevance.

It's just hard to imagine, 20 years from now, people will still listening to Jay-Z or Beyonce the way they still listen to the Beatles, or the Stones, or Zeppelin, or Stevie Wonder.

Want proof?....name a rapper from the late 80's or early 90's that is still relevant today the way, say.....U2 is.
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 260
Posted: 2/24/2007 6:11:31 PM
"I'm mainly into hard rock/ metal but even there all you see is bands that can do nothing but strum, singers that have no vocal range or character and just grunt, scream and make other stupid noises."

Oh man is that not true. Metal is musician's music if there ever was such a thing. Some are a lot more technically gifted than others, but still.

Bruce****nson has no vocal range or character? Michael Amott only strums?

"but metal is British (NWOBHM) "

And for that I will be eternally grateful to Britannia.
 Cavalier1968
Msg: 265
Posted: 2/27/2007 7:42:35 AM
"and they are wanting it to stop, and hopefully evolve into something more positive"

It will stop when lazy hip-hop acts put some thought and emotion into the music and quit going for the quick easy buck by writing about pimps, hoochies, hot cars, and partying. There is some thoughtful intelligent hip-hop out there but it gets lost.....

Every genre goes though a period where it has become stagnant and watered down for the masses....hip hop just needs a few acts to come along and kick it in the ass the way grunge signaled the end of hair metal and brought angst and rebellion back to rock.

guitarman,

Living Colour rocks....saw them open for the Stones in 1989....excellent!
 baji
Msg: 268
Posted: 3/5/2007 9:14:17 PM
Would you judge a colour without seeing it or a meal with out tasting or atleast smelling it?

Alot of people confuse 50 cent, eminem, the game, etc for hip hop without ever knowing what hip hop really is. If we compare the pop (hip hop?/urban?) music of today to the pop music (micheal jackson, prince, cnc music factory, mc hammer, genuine, 112, etc) of the late 80s to mid 90s in content, costume [yeah i said it] and corporate idealogy of sex, money, power and violence I ask you has it really changed? And if not why have we changed its name.

Hip hop is ment to induce thought, sometimes offending the masses by portraying real life events and experiences. What is so moving or real life for that matter about what you hear on the radio now?

As KRS1 elequantly put it. "Rap is something you do hip hip is something you live." It has always been more than just a musical art form. It involves visual art (graphwriting), dancing (breaking & bboying), turntablisim & spoken word (poetry). REAL hip hop does still exist and as in the past is censored not for language, nudity and/or violence but instead for the message behind the lyrics and is not played commercially.

Thats just my 2 cents. I hope that someone atleast search for a listen to real hip hop.

Ps - I did listen to and enjoy micheal, prince and most of the artist that would fit into the list above.
 euclidian
Msg: 275
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2007 11:51:03 AM
You do realize that while there is a LOT of the gangsta stuff out there (which I am not a fan of), there's a ton of progressive hiphop out there that is very socially conscious. I have no love for the thug element of rap music, but the true hiphop out there is extremely well written and engaging stuff.

You can't listen to one element or sub genre of the style and say that ALL of the encompassing genre shares the same problems.
 Phrygian
Msg: 281
Posted: 3/11/2007 8:10:29 AM
I'm going to be completely honest, the mainstream hip hop that is going around is complete garbage. I have nothing but respect for the music, but honestly, watch how fast it comes and goes, like most of hip hop.

I'm sure it's a biased answer, I need my music to have guitars / drums, change of pace, etc.

When I listen to hip hop all I hear is the same beat repeating for 5 minutes, and I find that boring honestly.
 ASB
Msg: 282
Posted: 3/11/2007 3:25:30 PM

Is HIP HOP
going to go away soon?

Sorry don't mean to sound like a smart a$$ when I say this but Notorious B.I.G. is dead. And who is the rapper who said that true hip hop is dead??
 2findU
Msg: 284
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2007 12:10:00 PM
You ever notice that at least when rock n rollers died young it was at their own hand, mostly drug O.D. But rapper/hip-hoppers get gunned down.
 blonde chickie
Msg: 289
Posted: 4/26/2007 6:38:59 PM
Hip Hop should be dead, that music sux big time
 arthistorylovr
Msg: 303
Posted: 6/10/2007 8:31:00 AM
I don't care if Hip Hop is alive or dead, I have my House, in all its wonderful forms (Progressives, Deep, Trance, etc) and that's all I need.
But please do not insist that its relevant in the world of House. Ask any true House DJ, and I have, they could care less about the stuff, don't listen to it, and would NOT mix it. Even the biggest names have that opinion...I've asked them too. Beyond what they say, you won't find any of it Tiesto's music, or any of the major DJ's-from Oakenfold to Sharam, for which those of us who love house are eternally grateful.
 joecool
Msg: 306
Posted: 6/12/2007 12:51:34 AM
The rims,ho*s and money rap will die. But in actuallity that what you here today is not hip hop, but it has taken over and everyone thinks it is hip hop. This (Money RAP) is whats killing hip hop. Hip Hop is emotion, struggle, love,respect, a fight for self and cultrual improvement, what you know,political point of views,ART,TALENT!! 90% Of the rappers out there never had rims,money,HO*S!! so how are they going to rap about it everything in your video is RENTED!! Not all rappers are commercial some stay true and remember who they are and what hip hop is, But what you hear today is a PARASITE!! So hip hop is dying and it has to be saved. NAS knows it is why cant everybody else figure it out, because people are becoming sell outs, and money talks period!
 Mosey_Burns
Msg: 311
Posted: 6/13/2007 1:39:24 PM
I'm with OP, this stuff has get the hell out of the spotlight. Its been, what, a decade now? Yet radio stations still eat this shit up. That Akon song makes me want to punch someone in the face. So repetitive and dull. But somehow there are enough people out there buying in to make this shit profitable. I blame it on parents giving their 15 year old daughters money to go buy these shitty CD's. By the time they grow up and realize this music sucks another generation is right there to take their place.

Until kids stop listening to shitty music I'll have to occasionally get on the bus and listen another intro/chorus/verse/chorus/outro of "nobody want to see to geddddeerrr, but dat dont maddddderr no"
 Got Trance
Msg: 314
Posted: 6/15/2007 8:07:12 AM
hip hop is the BANE of music.
 blonde chickie
Msg: 316
Posted: 6/15/2007 11:27:46 AM
Hip Hop, that shit ****ing blows
 Thatguy67
Msg: 319
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2007 10:00:53 PM
Quoting Greg Allman here.....rap is short for.....CRAP!

Kaos86
Msg: 320
Posted: 6/21/2007 12:19:30 PM
Bury it..Danno!
 Cavalier1968
Msg: 322
Posted: 6/22/2007 8:32:06 AM
Isn't it totally cool...

If, by cool you mean, simple music, simple lyrics, and a shelf life of a loaf of bread...then yes...it's cool.

Think twenty five years from now anyone will remember 50 cent and Jay-Z as anything more than a footnote in the history of popular music.

Besides, hip hop, like every other genre has been watered down for mass consumption.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >