Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 brownmouse
Msg: 198
IS it me or should HIP HOP be DEAD YET?Page 4 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
... it fused with ambient/chill out music and gave birth to Trip Hop, one of my favorite music genres (artists include Portishead, Massive Attack, Red Snapper, and even early Chemical Brothers was classified as 'Hard' Trip Hop).

Yeah, got to agree. Like Portishead, Beck or Bjork, some Hip Hop and rap influences within a rock setting, make a great sound.
 nashawn
Msg: 200
IS it me or should HIP HOP be DEAD YET?
Posted: 9/7/2006 11:24:06 PM
It's just you.

Rap or hip hop was doing fine until corporate America took over. Bringing the bullshit to the masses. They promote the lowest forms of bullshit when there are good people with good things to say. Rap is world wide it's cool to be hip. They even had the KFC man break dancing.

They said the same thing about rock music but it's here to stay.
 TribalPhoenix
Msg: 201
Posted: 9/12/2006 12:17:54 PM
Well, 9 pages devoted to the subject speaks for itself. When I was 13 "Rappers Delight" was a huge hit, and rap has been viable ever since. Like all forms of art, it requires business $$ to stay alive. Unfortuately that often translates to periods of dilution, until truly talented artists change the statis quo, and the progress continues.

And it is art, it is progression. For those who want to dismiss it as non progressive, just consider this: Progression is growth, and disruption (even anger, rebellion, etc.) is all that is required to stimulate growth.

Years ago I came up with a definition, that to me, is an answer to the age old question "is it art?". Simply put, art is 'the creation of something, out of nothing, that speaks to or about the human condition.'
 BIG BLUE EYEZ
Msg: 202
Posted: 9/12/2006 11:46:50 PM
IT'S YOU , i love the hip hop and rnb.. maybe cause i used to dj them... still get tons of exclusives... advance copis and such even though i don't push play anymore. To each their own is my opinion..
 BIG BLUE EYEZ
Msg: 203
Posted: 9/12/2006 11:50:34 PM
FIMI Do not forget Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, gotta give them props too.... I can still remember being addicted to Raisin Hell, Radio and Bigger and Deffer back in the day.....I swore i wore out my LL and DMC "tapes"
 Mr Marcus
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2006 8:05:02 PM
As long as hip hop is making money for the corporations who own the radio stations and record labels, it will never die.
 ElvisLives56
Msg: 205
Posted: 9/14/2006 10:20:25 PM
I know what you mean it's so boring and most of the guys today don't really say anything except they wanna get laid which is always normal but 50 Cent is a joke.
 Wickens
Msg: 206
Posted: 9/15/2006 1:22:01 PM
I'm all for people creating music. But at least have some sort of REAL instrument in the production process SOMEWHERE and on stage.
I have no respect for people who click little blank squares in a program on a PC to create a song and then SPEAK along with it. These idiots dont sing in the least and I doubt they ever will know how.
Even death metal singers know how to sing properly, otherwise they would ruin their vocal cords. (contrary to what alot of people believe this IS true)

It's really not that hard to design a song in fruity loops and transfer it to protools, edit the song, then WRITE OUT THE LYRICS and keep editing lines over and over until it's done. Infact it's SO much easier with a style of music where the person "singing" has no real decernable tone coming from their voice - so overdubbing or redoing a line is so much easier because you dont have to worry about what key they're singing in...BECAUSE THEY DONT SING.
 Obsidius
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2006 1:57:23 PM
This issue of hip-hop will never die. When I was in high school in the late 80's all the stoner head bangers always talked trash against rap, saying it wasn't "real music" and that it was crap. On the other hand hip hop heads talked trash on metal, saying that it was "kill your mama killyour daddy devil music, with no rythm, loud ass banging and plenty of stupid screaming. Myself, I was the type that listened to hip hop, metal, and punk. When the whole rap/hip hop Limp Bizkit/Kid Rock came along in the late 90's I laughed because the music was really stupid. Now that pales in comparison with this new crap on the radio. I stick with the old school rap/metal/punk. There might be some modern groups that I might get into, but for the most part, alot of the new stuff downright sucks today.
 Carmelsyn
Msg: 208
Posted: 9/17/2006 6:18:40 PM

Puff Daddy is a good enough example of what Rap is

Are you for real? P. Diddy, Diddy, whatever his name is at the moment is NOT true Rap! He wishes he could spit/write genuine lyrics like some of the 80's artist. He's just gaming the music industry like a few of these other artist are doing (ie, not writing their own lyrics or sampling).

Since I'm a Afro-Hispanic musician myself, I listen to all genres as long as it's original. Just to name a few:

Neo-Soul:
-Amel Larrieux, Les Nubians, Maxwell, N'Dea Davenport, Res, Cassandra Wilson

R&B/Hip Hop:
-Mary J. Blige, Beyonce, Missy Elliot, Jagged Edge, Omarion, Common, Mariah Carey

Rap
-Rakim (hands down), LL Cool J, Run DMC, Salt n Pepa

Rock (Alternative, Nu, etc.)
-Red Hot Chili Peppers (Anthony Keidis, love him to death)
-Linkin Park
-Metallica ("Unforgiven" my favorite)
-Deftones
-Korn
-POD

Pop
-Justin Timberlake, Aly and A.J. (Rush)

Country
-Shania Twain, -Leann Rimes, -Carrie Underwood

World Music (Reggae, Chutney, Soca, Calypso, etc.)
-Enya (Celtic)
-Oshen (Pacific Islander/Reggae)
-Alison Hinds (Bajan Queen/Soca)
-Destra Garcia (Trini Princess/Soca)

Classical
-Beethoven,-Mozart,-Bach,-Handel, -Burgmueller

I could keep on but let's just all learn to appreciate all genre's of music as they each have something UNIQUE to offer...
 pharoah75
Msg: 209
Posted: 9/18/2006 12:23:43 AM

Are you for real? P. Diddy, Diddy, whatever his name is at the moment is NOT true Rap! He wishes he could spit/write genuine lyrics like some of the 80's artist. He's just gaming the music industry like a few of these other artist are doing (ie, not writing their own lyrics or sampling).

Completely agree.....when is the last time Diddy (unless he changed his name in the last 5 mins) had an original thought...other than wanting to get PAID.
 slow_hand_001
Msg: 210
Posted: 9/20/2006 2:01:44 AM
Hip hop used to be about lyrics but now its all about the beat. Very few people are concentrating on making real hip hop now. As long as you have lil jon, timbaland, dr dre and the neptunes in your rolodex you are guaranteed a hit. As a die hard rap fan, the selection is begining to get thinner by the days. The last CD I bought and actually listened to the whole Cd was The Games Documentary. All this new snap music nonesense is begining to get on my nerves. Please dont get me started on that retarded Chicken Noodle Soup.
 visot
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2006 6:32:30 PM
It appears to have become a whole culture not just a music genre.
 shifuku
Msg: 212
Posted: 9/25/2006 6:15:33 AM
I'm an avid hip hop fan.
I love the stuff and can't get enough of it.
I'm very much interested in the underground hip hop music that not many people hear about.

I'm surprised and somewhat dissapointed that I didn't encounter many of the names and labels and groups I love in this thread so far.

For anyone interested in hip hop culture I highly suggest downloading or renting the movie: SCRATCH the movie.

It has the entire culture laid out in plain english for you.

It's mostly based on the scratching and the turntablism part of hip hop culture but it really lays it down for you start to finish. How it began, why, and where it's going.

It's really a great documentary and it might give people a different opinion on the whole movement.

For those that say hip hop is all about the bling and big butts and clothes and stuff.
You realllllly need to STOP listening to all the top 40 garbage and dig for some seriously inspirational and underground stuff that makes your bullocks tingle. hehe

I have compiled a leetle list of some of my FAVORITE underground hip hop artists I have on regular rotation on my itunes.

have fun!!

Andre Nickatina AKA Dre Dog. A lot of his stuff is kinda bling and drugs and money and such. But the man is seriously talented. Train With No Love is a favorite of mine and it recounts his true story about how he spent 5 years in jail and came out a better person.

Equipto. Often does things with Andre Nickatina. Really a tight spitter.

Cunninglynguists. Seriously awesome inspirational hip hop artists. They talk about being poor. And not selling out for suitcases full of money. In my opinion their best album is: Will rap for food.

Immortal Technique. This is one seriously political mofo. Especially about his spanish race and heritage.
Listen to Dance with the Devil. It's 9 minutes of pure grit. Brocolli and Beef is more lighthearted and funny.

Sweat Shop Union. Really awesome guys from Vancouver (my hometown). Really talented and political and funny guys.

Lyrics Born: DAMN THIS GUY IS FUNKY!!!

Masta Ace. Not really underground but I don't think I saw his name mentioned once. I love this guys stuff. He crosses all kinds of hip hop genres and goes from coke and whores to political to raps about love to funny stuff. Something for everyone.

Classified
Fort Minor
Jedi Mind Tricks
Living Legends
Mathematics
People Under the Stairs
Quannum
Styles of Beyond

I could go on and on..........

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few of my favs. It's late and I need to smeep now.

night.
 shifuku
Msg: 214
Posted: 9/25/2006 4:51:04 PM

Now I think rock and roll is in similiar trouble, Emo is considered rock and roll, I'd rather have hoes rims and bling, then eye make up, tight jeans, and flock of seagull haircuts!! my $.02

werd to THAT brotha!!!!!!

Is it just me or am I the only one that thinks that we'd have been better off with more britney spears and less alexis on fire? At least with Britney, there were less people cutting themselves for attention.
 fyi_me
Msg: 215
Posted: 9/25/2006 5:57:37 PM
Hip Hop won't go away because to some people it's a lifestyle. The same way Rock will never go out.
 bluesbob
Msg: 217
Posted: 10/10/2006 1:36:01 PM
I hope it goes away soon...bad poetry set to a drum machine is not my idea of musical artistry.
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 218
Posted: 10/11/2006 6:11:15 PM

yes. its disgusting glorification of meaningless sex and violence. it doesn't have any worthwhile deeper meaning, so why hasn't it just died off like every other shallow trend? it seems to me the only reason people even follow it now is so they can be "cool" and exactly like everybody else. i despise it.

Not all hip-hop is like that though. I'll admit to being turned off to the gangsta crap too, and I'm not much of a fan either, but that's only one facet of the genre. There's a lot of socially conscious and intelligent hip-hop out there.

The only real reasons I get annoyed with hip-hop are...

*That people seem to act as if it's the hippest music out there.

*People use it as a litmus test to see how hip one is.

*Seeing white, upper-middle class people coopting the culture (especially the negative aspects which hurt the black community) even though a lot of them don't even care for black people. I mean, and I am sorry for saying this, but when I see some white yuppie bobbing his head to some rap, I wince with embarassment.

I actually watched a Jay Z concert once on cable, and I'm seeing these white guys in the crowd in their Calvin Kleins throwing their hands in the air and making gestures, and it looked so silly to me. Like they were trying to fit in.

*It's popularity seems to blanket other forms of music. It gets SO much attention. Meanwhile, the bands I really like hardly ever get on TV or radio.

*And I simply am not into it. I liked rap when it first started to become popular. I remember liking Run DMC. But then I got into metal and lost interest in pretty much everything else.

*It seems (and I could be wrong) to be so disposable. Now it does seem that people are rediscovering old-school hip-hop, but it seemed (and again I'm not a member of The Nation) for a long time that people who were into hip-hop wouldn't listen to anything that was more than a few years old. The same seems to be true with dance music and electronica and trance and crap like that.

*I HATE when people blare it in their cars!!!! That is so f'n annoying. All it does is give me the urge to blast some Satyricon and kill them with noise!!!! They think EVERYONE wants to hear what they're listening to, or they do it to annoy. Which, again, makes me wanna kill them with heavy metal noise.

*Which brings me to another thing. People act like it's the most bad-ass scary music out there. I'm sorry, but again, to me it is not. This one kid I used to a work with (a punk Eminem wannabe who ironically hated black people), listened to a lot of this gangsta rap. Now first of all, I didn't realize how offensive it could be. A lot of that stuff does absolutely glorify crime and gun violence. But I didn't find it scary. Again, I just got the urge to hear shining metallic chords just slice through all that rubbery bass. In fact, he was scared of my music. Another guy I worked with forced him to listen to some Opeth, and he couldn't bear it. He's like, "dat's evil!!!" Hehehehehe.

But, y'know, being a die-hard metalhead, I know what it's like to see one's music maligned, dismissed as vapid and lacking art, and misunderstood. Hell, I've been defending metal for many years now. Metal's one form of music that gets it from all sides. Ellen Goodman and Jerry Falwell will stand side by side spitting on metal. Mainstream rock critics, at least for a very long time, LOVED to bash metal. It angered me. Those same people though would embrace rap.

And I also know what it's like form people to judge the music based on what is most popular. I roll my eyes when people ask me if I like Linkin Park.

And yeah, EMO sucks. I hate it too. Those kids should be listening to metal. Metal gives people resolve and utterly banishes helplessness. It makes you feel connected to other people. It empowers. And you're all welcome. If you love and respect the music, no one gives you a hard time.

I also like some metal bands with rap influences though. Stuck Mojo comes to mind. Rappers can really slam when they have a metal band backing them. And while I may not be fans of their music, I think it's really cool that Ice-T and Jada Pinkett are into it and try their hands at it, even though their results have been mixed thus far. And all those people who were being mean to her for being at Ozzfest can kiss off. It took guts for her to be there, and like i said, she likes and respects metal even though she comes from a totally different world musically and culturally.

Oh yeah, I hate country and dance music and electronic crap and alternative and blues (boring rudimentary) and pop and lots of other stuff. I don't even like classical and opera even though those musics have been big influences on metal (and yeah blues, but not as much as people think).

Eh, I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm just rantin' and lookin' for 'tention.

That's what some people say anyway.

So just listen to what you like and don't worry about everything else. I'll try to do the same.
 Huggablehottie
Msg: 219
Posted: 10/11/2006 6:17:46 PM
While the dancing is good, I am NOW
wondering why hip hop has stayed around, too.
 shifuku
Msg: 220
Posted: 10/12/2006 2:20:03 AM
close-mind·ed (klsmndd, klz-) or closed-mind·ed (klzd-)
adj.

Intolerant of the beliefs and opinions of others; stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas.

Artist - Sweatshop Union
Song - The Human's Race

Inside the place where we hide our face
And try to fake out fate with the faith we place
Inside a world wide race where the humans chase
For more than what we're given

Nowadays people don't talk freely
We walk these streets, go home
And not be seen, we watch TV alone
Then phone in our orders for Chinese delivery
Closed in our quarters, so high we forget
That we ever knew any better than this
And now we swim in the sewage
Together in bliss and it's a sad state of affairs
They're making us scared to even set foot outside our own houses
And now it's like every place I look I see
Propaganda from the papers, to the books I read
And they're preparing us for a staged terrorist war
So they can centralize the power and have us scared to the core
My parents ignored, I guess it's just too deeply imbedded in their heads
That the truth is on TV, So breathe deep and be free of all this
Civilized society or whatever you call it

Sometimes I get lost in my trips through escapism
Vision of a world free from greed, war, racism
And isn't it a gift how I'm free inside
They can steal a child's mind but never rob him of his light
And some nights we all fall asleep feeling like hypocrites
Say you changed the world but only talked a bit of shit
We all quit on ourselves from one point or another
Suffer bouts with self doubt as we try to recover
But it all starts from thought and talk which leads to action
How far can we be pushed, till we respond with reaction?
For now I turn my back and all I wanna leave behind
This peace of mind is an illusion of the freedom I can't find

The freedom, the freedom, the freedom I can't find
The freedom I can't find, the freedom I can't find

In a world wide race where the humans chase
And try to take things from the living

Why yes, Just watch who you playing
It ain't me in a way, where the odds are on my side
*Count em up* one three five
It ain't beyond a day
I can't even find my mind, *help me out*
Be my guide
It ain't beyond a day
I got no one to blame, I got nothing but shame
And it's a rainy day, I need sunshine
But I'm just one blind man
Nothing left to see and nothing left to say
But nothing left to hear and nothing left to jade
And nothing left me yesterday because I had nothing left to say
Nothing, done up and went away
When the same pain became insane
Picture in the picture frame
You big **** to plain
Kiss your brain, this love game
Your history maintains loves smile remains

I'll take a leave of absence
With a sleeve of Abstinthe
5 grams of magic mushrooms
And I'll see what happens
And if you need me
I won't be reached
I'll be relaxing
With my feet up
Send a postcard
I'll read the caption
I don't need distractions
Coffee, weed or aspirin
Just open minds and open hearts
So come see us rapping
And when I'm done doing my thing
I won't be a has been
I'll just be done doing my thing
With my seat relaxing

And on the day I die
I can say I tried to save my tribe
Please don't cry
Away I fly where I can play by my rules
And take my time, reach those skies
And on the day I die
I can say I tried to save my tribe
Please don't cry
Away I fly where I can play by my rules
And take my time, reach those skies

In a world wide race where the humans chase
And try to take things from the living

Artist - Sweatshop Union
Song - The Thing About It

This is a time of growth for those that know,
And it's a time of hope for those that don't,
But if your mind is open you'll get shown,

We've had our sights blinded, all of my like-minded,
People need to get up and discover the right time is,
Now, so start opposing the powers that arose,
In ancient days and paved the way to this load,
It's so controlled, it's sitting in most, just sit and stare,
At a television with a distant glare,
And I'm ashamed to admit it, I'm a slave to this shit,
As much as anybody but I'm not afraid of it,
This is where the change comes, and this is where we make some difference,
Embrace what's within us and escape from this prison,
All it takes is a little bit of faith,
And a little bit of love, to get rid of all the hate,

Chorus:
But the thing about it is we can't just sing about it,
We can't just sit around and wait until they thin us out,
We figure out where we're going while we live in doubt,
If you want my truth, listen now and just think about it,
The thing about it is we can't even think about it,
Can't afford a minutes time to figure how to bring about a change,
So, take a second, and shake your head,
And take a step ahead and think about it,

Now the ball is in our court, while we sit and watch passively,
The face of the earth changes drastically, after we,
Clear space at this rate for strip malls and factories,
We risk take a crew fate at a pace beyond gradually,
No more crops for us to harvest and feed,
Self-sufficiency replaced by clone-copy written seeds,
Now ask yourself, how can we be free,
When the water that we drink is owned by some company,

I hear the weep up the streets, and cries up in the skies,
The weakness is disguised with deceitful lies,
Well we all eat to survive, and sleep through our lives,
Repeat in for high, all shit and no pride,
Never speak of our lie, let the fear fortify,
My insides are dying, trying to fit in the design,
I'm reminded daily, of a world gone crazy,
Guns mean safety for orphan babies,
Ignore the distortion you're forced to perceive and believe,
What supercedes is love, but who agrees?

Could you survive in the wild, with a wife and a child,
A whole human history, a line a type and a file,
So live your life in denial, or try to live on your own,
Without your colour TV, heat, fridge or the phone,
Well the average guy lives an elaborate lie,
Waste days on slave wage beneath the passionate eye,
Now we ovulate, copulate and over-populate,
Never stop to think about the things that we were taught to hate,
Now the stage is set, watch the players place their bets,
Take a sec, shake your head, feel alive, make you sweat,
Realize that the system can't exist without belief,
Appreciate your true potential, untwist your mouth and speak,
We're working on building a world our children can live in,
Understand, I can't be free, while you're still in this prison,
And I could spend my days preaching, so on and so forth,
But it won't change, until we don't want to go on, no more,

This is a time of growth for those that know,
And it's a time of hope for those that don't,
But if your mind is open you'll get shown.

How is this:

"disgusting glorification of meaningless sex and violence."

"it doesn't have any worthwhile deeper meaning"

"bad poetry set to a drum machine is not my idea of musical artistry"

?

Um, seriously, you guys.

I don't want to be a d.ickhead here but when you sound off like that, you don't come across that you know what you are talking about at all. And the knowledgeable shake their heads and smile. Ahhhh Padawans.....

Not understanding a thing and never listening to a thing does not a serious critic make.

Good hip hop is well produced. Have you ever seen a production studio for electronic music? It's INTENSE. It takes a lot of know how to run all the synths, sequencers, mixers, compressors, drum machines, effects units, computers and on and on.
Not just any person can make a master of a record. Not just any person can be a dj. When you dj you are dealing with notes, beats, measures, timing. You're dealing with real music and learning how to make 2 records play at the same time together is more difficult than you think.

Listen to other forms of hip hop first and maybe take a look at some of the inspirational "blue collar" hip hop that's been forming of late. It's really inspirational and uplifting stuff.

It's not all the same.
Just like there are poor rock and roll bands out there and there are good ones so too does hip hop.
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 221
Posted: 10/12/2006 6:44:46 PM
Good hip hop is well produced. Have you ever seen a production studio for electronic music? It's INTENSE. It takes a lot of know how to run all the synths, sequencers, mixers, compressors, drum machines, effects units, computers and on and on.
Not just any person can make a master of a record. Not just any person can be a dj. When you dj you are dealing with notes, beats, measures, timing. You're dealing with real music and learning how to make 2 records play at the same time together is more difficult than you think.

I think that's another reason why I'm not into hip-hop, electronica, and dance music. It all sounds artificial to me at times. Maybe that's my main reason for not caring for it. Like it's all made by computers. I can't get into stuff like that. I almost resent it.

I'm sure it does take skill, I've never doubted that. I just imagine some guy in his basement messing around on his pc making music.
 ASB
Msg: 223
Posted: 12/22/2006 5:46:11 PM

Not all hip-hop is like that though. I'll admit to being turned off to the gangsta crap too, and I'm not much of a fan either, but that's only one facet of the genre. There's a lot of socially conscious and intelligent hip-hop out there.

The only real reasons I get annoyed with hip-hop are...

*That people seem to act as if it's the hippest music out there.

*People use it as a litmus test to see how hip one is.

*Seeing white, upper-middle class people coopting the culture (especially the negative aspects which hurt the black community) even though a lot of them don't even care for black people. I mean, and I am sorry for saying this, but when I see some white yuppie bobbing his head to some rap, I wince with embarassment.

I actually watched a Jay Z concert once on cable, and I'm seeing these white guys in the crowd in their Calvin Kleins throwing their hands in the air and making gestures, and it looked so silly to me. Like they were trying to fit in.

*It's popularity seems to blanket other forms of music. It gets SO much attention. Meanwhile, the bands I really like hardly ever get on TV or radio.

*And I simply am not into it. I liked rap when it first started to become popular. I remember liking Run DMC. But then I got into metal and lost interest in pretty much everything else.

*It seems (and I could be wrong) to be so disposable. Now it does seem that people are rediscovering old-school hip-hop, but it seemed (and again I'm not a member of The Nation) for a long time that people who were into hip-hop wouldn't listen to anything that was more than a few years old. The same seems to be true with dance music and electronica and trance and crap like that.

*I HATE when people blare it in their cars!!!! That is so f'n annoying. All it does is give me the urge to blast some Satyricon and kill them with noise!!!! They think EVERYONE wants to hear what they're listening to, or they do it to annoy. Which, again, makes me wanna kill them with heavy metal noise.

*Which brings me to another thing. People act like it's the most bad-ass scary music out there. I'm sorry, but again, to me it is not. This one kid I used to a work with (a punk Eminem wannabe who ironically hated black people), listened to a lot of this gangsta rap. Now first of all, I didn't realize how offensive it could be. A lot of that stuff does absolutely glorify crime and gun violence. But I didn't find it scary. Again, I just got the urge to hear shining metallic chords just slice through all that rubbery bass. In fact, he was scared of my music. Another guy I worked with forced him to listen to some Opeth, and he couldn't bear it. He's like, "dat's evil!!!" Hehehehehe.

But, y'know, being a die-hard metalhead, I know what it's like to see one's music maligned, dismissed as vapid and lacking art, and misunderstood. Hell, I've been defending metal for many years now. Metal's one form of music that gets it from all sides. Ellen Goodman and Jerry Falwell will stand side by side spitting on metal. Mainstream rock critics, at least for a very long time, LOVED to bash metal. It angered me. Those same people though would embrace rap.

And I also know what it's like form people to judge the music based on what is most popular. I roll my eyes when people ask me if I like Linkin Park.

And yeah, EMO sucks. I hate it too. Those kids should be listening to metal. Metal gives people resolve and utterly banishes helplessness. It makes you feel connected to other people. It empowers. And you're all welcome. If you love and respect the music, no one gives you a hard time.

I also like some metal bands with rap influences though. Stuck Mojo comes to mind. Rappers can really slam when they have a metal band backing them. And while I may not be fans of their music, I think it's really cool that Ice-T and Jada Pinkett are into it and try their hands at it, even though their results have been mixed thus far. And all those people who were being mean to her for being at Ozzfest can kiss off. It took guts for her to be there, and like i said, she likes and respects metal even though she comes from a totally different world musically and culturally.

Oh yeah, I hate country and dance music and electronic crap and alternative and blues (boring rudimentary) and pop and lots of other stuff. I don't even like classical and opera even though those musics have been big influences on metal (and yeah blues, but not as much as people think).

Eh, I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm just rantin' and lookin' for 'tention.

That's what some people say anyway.

So just listen to what you like and don't worry about everything else. I'll try to do the same.

That's hilarious. Kudos to you buddy. You're right. You voiced it almost completely. Except I like most all music (if it's good, it's good, if it sucks, it sucks). But you're so right. Especially with Ozzfest. Took guts. Man I can't wait to see what music will be like in 20 years. Probably the same but worse :-S
 RDtoo
Msg: 224
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2006 1:29:41 AM
Can't remember the name of the Spike Lee movie, but he compared Hip-hop performers to Minstrel Shows in the Old South. Funny black men in baggy clothing performing for white audiences. It was a startling image and I have talked to some African-americans who were angry that Spike would make such a film. Which leads me to what I think is hip-hops biggest crime. Creating some of the worst clothing trends in history. I don't care if hip-hop lives or dies, but pul-leaze, drop the oversized clothing, jogging suits, and baseball caps.
 vaerstille
Msg: 225
Posted: 12/26/2006 1:18:45 AM
all i read was like the first 5 or 6 posts, and this thread may as well have stopped at what gradleguy said.

i've been a big indie music fan for a long time, and by that I mean indie rock, indie hip hop, indie experimental, what ever you want to don it as. if all you listen to is top 40, or the radio stations that play the generic, engineered music, spanning from any genre, more probable than not, it's going to be trash.

there are so many elements to music, and when you strip them away by adding someone who is basically telling you what to play, what to say, how to dress, basically telling you how to sell yourself, and you follow along with that, everything becomes misconstrued.

I saw K-Os quote KRS-One recently, and what he said was, "Rap is something you do, Hip-Hop is something you live." Now don't get me wrong, I'm no Hip-Hop/Rap connoisseur , but I really do believe that what is being played on your Mtv, the 50 Cent's, the Ja Rules, Lil John's, etc, etc, is not a just reflection of Hip-Hop.
 Goldmember1
Msg: 226
Posted: 12/26/2006 1:23:00 AM
Can't say I'm much of a hip hop fan. Maybe the odd song. If it died, I wouldn't loose any sleep. Will it die? I don't think so. Like the above poster, I think the clothing thing has run it's course. But the genre will stick around.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >