Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why We Need to Stop Worshiping Cops      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Why We Need to Stop Worshiping CopsPage 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Message 18 ...
Who would get these weapons if the police didn't? ........... Scrap metal dealers?
That would be good.

My next thought is ... are they giving away the equipment tat was used in the war zones and if so, have they decontaminated it? Or are they giving it away with all the depleted uranium dust and contamination on it?

Message 24 ...
... lets say for the sake of argument that Wilson's version is correct...what would you have done in his shoes ?
I would have called for back-up ... if I was afraid of "Hulk Hogan".

Message 27 ...
... the "Kid" had just roughed up a store owner and robbed him ...
But Wilson did not know that ... he thought he was just dealing with a kid who was walking down the middle of a street ... that must not have been heavily traveled or surely he would have been run over before the police officer shot him dead.

I think the bigger point we need to make is ... no one needs to die because they are walking down the middle of a street ... no one should have to die because they are "selling loose cigarettes" on the corner.

I personally think a lot of this killing is going on because of racial fear-mongering that has become more and more prominent since the teabaggers decided they were extremely unhappy about having a bi-racial man in the nation's "white" house.
 Strings6
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Why We Need to Stop Worshiping Cops
Posted: 12/25/2014 9:47:08 AM
So you support the right to both resist arrest and if you feel so inclined attack a police officer,why not ask the store owner if he was a victim of racial fear mongering or a six foot thug ? why not ask anyone black or white who is attacked by one these people if they are victims of racial fear mongering ?
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/25/2014 10:51:11 AM
When I was little this was one of my favorite tv shows , Sgt. Preston of the Yukon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VuzBIFzyv4
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2014 1:24:18 PM
I don't recall it being derisive and changing. For some people it is and has always been a sincere expression of gratitude. But the politicians who blather it usually mean to say "look at me! I'm patriotic! " They used to kiss babies and pet dogs to fake people into thinking they cared, now they wear flag pins and chant phrases.

Watch out in the case of Police, how many people try to use the present consternation, not to improve the lot of the police, or of all of the populace, rather they want to pretend that it proves that some other agenda of theirs is just and right. The racists will try to use it to prove they are right to hate whoever they hate. The anti-government people will pretend it proves that all government turns into oppression. The anti-gun crowd will try to use it to show that having guns makes people lose perspective and kill unnecessarily. The anti-gun control people will pretend that it proves that everyone needs to carry concealed weapons, either to join in shooting the latest victim, or to shoot back at police.

My point is, that we have to watch out in times like these, for all the opportunists who will try to sneak in and profit from the tragedies and crimes of others, and most of them wont really give a damn about the actual victims.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/25/2014 1:33:29 PM

My point is, that we have to watch out in times like these, for all the opportunists who will try to sneak in and profit from the tragedies and crimes of others, and most of them wont really give a damn about the actual victims.

Would that be like legislators using this to give police more power?
 BussOfEsprit
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/27/2014 7:35:19 PM
Officer Tyler Steward age 24 was shot in face and killed responding to a domestic violence call.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/arizona/2014/12/27/flagstaff-officer-critical-after-shooting/20945789/
 DameWrite
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2014 8:21:21 PM
Around here we demand that our police serve the interests of the community, not private interests. This means using dialogue and common sense to de esculate a situation, not esculate it. They do not have the right to bully, show favortism, take bribes, use unnecessary force or to be racist.

If cop gets too power tripping or is unfit to serve for whatever reason we report them, if he or she continues, he or she gets run out of town.

Holding your public servents accountable is a GOOD thing. Hero worshipping them as a group is stupid. Those that can't control themselves should be let go. Those that deserve the badge should be paid fairly.

I've seen azzhole cops in action. They were not acting like heros, they were acting like gestapo. These types need to be fired and held accountable. They should never be allowed a gun and they should never be in a position of power.

The good police should make sure they stay that way to continue to serve the people and keep the peace. They should use common sense and de escalating skills. They should put people before property.

They chose this career, they get paid, they should do their job properly or get out.

I think its a sad situation when too many police are willing to follow orders that do NOT keep the peace but hurt others.

They have too many weapons at their disposal and not enough training on how to avoid using them.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/27/2014 9:58:53 PM

For the past two weeks, on two different fronts, we have been confronted with the unpleasant fact that there are people working in the institutions of our self-government who believe themselves not only beyond the control and sanctions of the civil power, but also beyond the control and sanctions of their direct superiors. We also have been confronted with the fact that there are too many people in our political elite who are encouraging this behavior for their own purposes, most of which are cheap and dangerous. In Washington, John Brennan, the head of the CIA, came right up to the edge of insubordination against the president who hired him in the wake of the Senate report on American torture. Meanwhile, in New York, in the aftermath of weeks of protests against the strangulation of Eric Garner by members of the New York Police Department, two patrolmen, Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos, were murdered in their squad car by a career criminal and apparent maniac named Ismaaiyl Brinsley. In response, and at the encouragement of television hucksters like Joe Scarborough, police union blowhards like Patrick Lynch, political zombies like George Pataki, and comical fascists like Rudolph Giuliani, the NYPD is acting in open rebellion against Mayor Bill de Blasio of New York, and the civil power he represents over them. This is an incredibly perilous time for democracy at the most basic levels.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/Insubordination
 daynadaze
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2014 4:16:40 PM
I didn't know we were worshiping cops, I thought we were appreciating those who did dangerous jobs for us and to hopefully root out those who are corrupt. When I'm in need of help from someone trying to harm me, I'm going to call a cop, not a thug. We used to have this jerk kid around here who would ride his skateboard down the middle of a very busy street, wearing dark clothes and giving the finger to anyone who honked at him, you know, like when they barely saw him soon enough to miss hitting him. There were many complaints, his parents acted like the poor kid was being picked on, those horrible police, how dare they! Then when the idiot was hit by a car, the parents sued. What a load of bull, if my kid had done that I would have expected the police to do something about him, and if he didn't like it, tough, and I wouldn't blame or sue someone who hit him with a car, I'd fill responsible for raising such an idiot. Should Brown have been shot, I don't know, I wasn't there, but should he have been treated roughly by an officer that he was harassing & attacking, you betcha. I have no empathy for those who break the law, act all smug about it, think they are showing some kind of rebellious right, and then cry foul when they have to pay for their actions. You know these people were not Robin Hoods, they weren't robbing the wicked rich to help the downtrodden poor, they were at best behaving in a stupid manner and usually breaking the law and harming others.
 aj7125
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/28/2014 4:29:27 PM
dayna, great post and I agree 100%. The big thing dayna is how you raised your child. I wish we could have conversations about the home issue. Doesn't guarantee 100% that all bad things would never happen but I can guarantee that the percentage would climb drastically in an upward manner of cutting down on crime no matter what race a person is. Good values start at home
Posted: 12/29/2014 10:14:46 AM

It's more relevant and accurate to say that people need to make sure that they don't automatically respect law enforcement blindly...to not assume that they have any sense or honor or correct intentions just because they are law enforcement. But, to be fair, some elements of society do "worship" cops - they think that "just doing what the cop says no matter what" is what we're all supposed to always do. And you can just take that idea and shove it up your arse.
 chameleonf
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/29/2014 11:20:08 AM
The way I see it, there are an awful lot of cop haters out there, rather than worshippers. That largely depends, though, on which side of the law you run and there are a huge number on the wrong side of it, from the person who gets the speeding ticket, jay-walking ticket, busted for shoplifting, beating up their partner, robbing stores and burning business down as an act of supposed protest, and other downright heinous crimes. Funny how that works, isn't it? There may be a bit of worshipping going on, but I suspect it's by those who have had their or their loved one's lives saved by them and been assisted in various other ways. Those who have been in neither position are likely like me...I appreciate the fact they are there, should the need ever arise.
Posted: 12/29/2014 1:11:30 PM
^ That's part of what I have found to be an inaccurate perception - Lots of people who you'd think of as "cop haters" are NOT that way because they are on the wrong side of the law, and they are not haters, but just "don't trust-ers". But in fact they have lost their naivete about law enforcement. They have learned the hard way that way too many of them operate according to a certain police-culture of behavior, a behavior that has become way too disconnected. They have observed too many officers not try to solve a problem but instead make it worse, and abuse their influence from being in such a position of authority and responsibility. Many people who're on the "right side of the law" in as many ways as you can imagine take to calling the police to help them abate a problem and instead have the police be bullies and be unfair and just plain seem to have no sense at all, and so these people begin to lose that automatic trust in law enforcement.

And the idea that people who have a negative attitude towards police must be that way because they're on the wrong side of the law...is part of this naivete, and it's a falsehood that we should stop perpetuating.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/29/2014 1:19:43 PM
I wouldn't say I "worship" them. I regard them like anyone I'd look to when I need reliable help and help with my safety. However as a female, yes I do worship them :)
 chameleonf
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/29/2014 1:45:56 PM
Re message 42: I suppose my perception is my reality, or the reality here has created my perception. I wouldn't go so far as to say YOU are inaccurate - you live in a different part of the world and there may well be all the reason in that portion of the world for you to have an accurate perception that police are not to be trusted. I find it quite different here. That's not to say I'm blind (nor naïve, thanks) to the fact there are and always will be police officers who abuse their authority, even here, but it certainly isn't anywhere near the numbers you must be suggesting that has caused you to have the belief you do.

I'd suggest that if it's that bad where you are and if there are such overwhelming numbers of people on the right side of the law who, at the very least, distrust their law enforcement, those overwhelming numbers should seek change in the system with respect to both training and psychological screening re officers. Part of the problem may have to do with your political structure - I don't know.
 BussOfEsprit
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/29/2014 6:36:22 PM
To expand upon my previous post about the police officer shot and killed in AZ.

Dec 21, 2014. Police officer shot and killed in Florida
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/12/21/police-shooting-florida/20723027/

Dec 25, 2014. Police officer shot at in Raleigh, NC
http://abc11.com/news/durham-police-officer-targeted-by-gunman/451010/

Dec 27-28 Police officers shot at in Florida and Los Angeles
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/29/justice/police-shot-at/

The Los Angeles gun shots are uncertain. Not sure if shots fired at the police or if the police happened to be driving by during a dispute among citizens.
 DameWrite
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2014 9:04:39 PM
Police were getting away with abuse and if there was a problem they were policing themselves... until police watchdog stepped in and started making them accountable.

Police watchdog was created because law abiding citizens and others saw or felt the abuse of power happening and decided to do something about it. Cell phone cameras have been capturing enough evidence that there was no doubt.

I've personally seen 3 police officers abuse their power. I've heard of many stories and seen more than enough videos as well.

I've heard the police lie about the law reguarding our using cell phones to capture their abuses as well as other laws.

Police deserve respect only when they serve and protect those that can't protect themselves. Some police signed up for this. Good for them, right on, thanks.

When they do what they were originallly hired for..not so much. (protecting the property of those that could afford to hire them and enforcing laws that serve the corrupt).

Now we only have to worry about police watch dog not being biased. (which has occured).

BussOfEsprit
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/30/2014 9:26:52 AM
Dec 29, 2014. Two Boston police officers attacked while serving a probation warrant.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2014/12/6_teens_charged_in_attack_on_cops_serving_warrant
Posted: 12/30/2014 10:21:03 AM

Re message 42: I suppose my perception is my reality, or the reality here has created my perception. I wouldn't go so far as to say YOU are inaccurate - you live in a different part of the world and there may well be all the reason in that portion of the world for you to have an accurate perception that police are not to be trusted. I find it quite different here. That's not to say I'm blind (nor naïve, thanks) to the fact there are and always will be police officers who abuse their authority, even here, but it certainly isn't anywhere near the numbers you must be suggesting that has caused you to have the belief you do.

I'd suggest that if it's that bad where you are and if there are such overwhelming numbers of people on the right side of the law who, at the very least, distrust their law enforcement, those overwhelming numbers should seek change in the system with respect to both training and psychological screening re officers. Part of the problem may have to do with your political structure - I don't know.

No. I did not suggest any numbers. I only pointed out a specific dynamic, and that we must acknowledge it instead of sweep it under the rug - that many people who develop a bad attitude towards police officers don't do so because they are on the wrong side of the law, and this "bad attitude" is simply no longer assuming that law enforcement is automatically trustworthy, objective, fair, or honorable, etc. And that the idea that one must always "cooperate" unquestioningly with the police as if we're supposed to give them absolute power is a very bad idea.
 aj7125
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/30/2014 5:31:24 PM
drink, for anyone to "sweep it under the rug" really says a lot about that person doing the "sweeping". You also say "many people who develop a bad attitude towards police officers" are not on the wrong side of the law. If you are referring to people that have experienced a bad police officer or officers, then they need to voice their issues. I would assume you don't mean that people that have had or have seen bad police officers means they are "blanketing" all police officers. For anything we have questions with, responsible people will follow through with those questions to the appropriate authorities.
 BussOfEsprit
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/30/2014 5:52:18 PM
Dec 23, 2014. Officer responding to call of shoplifting had gun pointed at him by 18 year old. Berkeley, MO. Protests last night and probably again tonight.

http://experience.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/12/30/antonio-martin-death-probe-missouri-police/21059747/

Dec 30, 2014. Man accelerated vehicle backwards into a police SUV and then tried to run over other officers before shot and killed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/12/30/philadelphia-police-kill-man-who-threatened-police/21075987/
 aj7125
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/30/2014 6:03:41 PM
A white thug who didn't worship cops, didn't respect cops and didn't respect human life. Pathetic!
 _babblefish
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/31/2014 11:53:16 AM

If you are referring to people that have experienced a bad police officer or officers, then they need to voice their issues. I would assume you don't mean that people that have had or have seen bad police officers means they are "blanketing" all police officers.

that's delusional, police domestic violence is nearly twice the average rate, and since i
have a cop in my extended family, there is most definitely a code of silence . . voice their issues? again
more funny postings, like i said, funny like how dead fish smell
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/31/2014 12:17:53 PM

police domestic violence is nearly twice the average rate

That's what someone told me too. I don't know myself, never seen the stats, but it's not unimaginable. I was telling someone about my adoration and they're like "you know...."
 bluespikedshell
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2014 12:50:58 PM
One of my family members was a cop in NYC. But he died before I was born. I wouldn't say I worship them. I respect the ones that don't abuse their power.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why We Need to Stop Worshiping Cops