Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "I like you but am not attracted to your body type..."      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 south_city
Msg: 226
I like you but am not attracted to your body type...Page 10 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
For instance, to give you a cultural example, African American culture tends to think highly of women of a bigger bone structure/heavier set than say European culture or Asian culture (the hour glass curves or more). And yes this is well documented just Google it.

While this may be true for some ( or maybe many ) men, this is not always the case in my experience. I know plenty of black men that are generally not attracted to larger women. Plus there are other factors like geography that can play in a role. A white person that grew up in NYC might generally be attracted to different things than a white person that grew up in a farm in Nebraska.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 227
I like you but am not attracted to your body type...
Posted: 1/6/2015 7:23:30 AM
If you do something to make other happy, you'll end up being miserable. If you change, change for yourself. To be happy, or healthy, live a better life, etc...
Do you want to loose weight? is it something you have struggled with? have you talked with your doctor about it?

The worst thing you can do is take pictures of just your face, and no full body.. it will lead to this problem every time.

I invite people with whom I'm serious about meeting, to Skype before our meet, after a couple of phone calls, to see each other and speak to each other. I do this so we BOTH know what we're getting ourselves into...and to spare personal embarrassment in person-to-person meets (his) if superficial judgments are made. I don't lie about my appearance; but I also don't unnecessarily shame myself and deem myself not good enough and making up shit about myself to conceal anything. There are sound reasons why I don't have full body photos, and it doesn't have to do with my weight and body shape. (I'm comfortably just a few extra.) It is strongly suggested on PoF photo tips to post body photos to gain a certain amount of attraction -- but it isn't PoF policy, so I am okay with less attention and don't expect anything until there is exclusivity. If somebody messages me knowing there are only face shots, they do the phone calls and Skype talks, and they're still dissatisfied, then it's their prerogative to find somebody else. There won't be any complaints from me, and I hope reciprocates the same respect.
 basilisk123
Msg: 228
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2015 8:12:46 AM
"I invite people with whom I'm serious about meeting, to Skype before our meet, after a couple of phone calls, to see each other and speak to each other."-Eternityboresme

Ok, that has to be worse than the coffee date that everyone railed against the other day. The thought of skyping a prospect is pretty funny imho. Ya he could be wearing a suit and looking good above the waist, but he could be sporting just the tighty whities below lol.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 229
Posted: 1/6/2015 9:23:54 AM

I invite people with whom I'm serious about meeting, to Skype before our meet, after a couple of phone calls, to see each other and speak to each other. I do this so we BOTH know what we're getting ourselves into...and to spare personal embarrassment in person-to-person meets (his) if superficial judgments are made

I'm not a believer in that concept. I could see A phone call after a little chit-chat... but the sooner the better. I think it's more embarrassment if you build things up, then there's a sudden carpet yanked. More of a feeling of wasted time, and more confusion into the mix.

If you meet really quickly after just a little chit-chat (and of course reading their profiles) and a general taste of likes/dislikes in matching -- meet up. That meetup will have much lower expectations than, say, two people being pen-pals for a while Then meeting. I would say playing more of a pen-pal thing to build up Interest would only be an advantage to those who may have a couple red flags, but wanting them to be not hastily thrown out and given a chance since there was already a lot of time invested in them.
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 230
Posted: 1/6/2015 9:38:59 AM

I'm not a believer in that concept. I could see A phone call after a little chit-chat... but the sooner the better. I think it's more embarrassment if you build things up, then there's a sudden carpet yanked. More of a feeling of wasted time, and more confusion into the mix.

If you meet really quickly after just a little chit-chat (and of course reading their profiles) and a general taste of likes/dislikes in matching -- meet up. That meetup will have much lower expectations than, say, two people being pen-pals for a while Then meeting. I would say playing more of a pen-pal thing to build up Interest would only be an advantage to those who may have a couple red flags, but wanting them to be not hastily thrown out and given a chance since there was already a lot of time invested in them.

Agree & from the woman's POV, I wouldn't care so much about who liked me, but did I like them.

The last few times I did OLD, at least one wanted to do all this phone nonsense. I recall the UPS man - I said no. He said but most other women want to do that. I said & when we meet, if there is no chemistry, then we've wasted time.

I'd want one brief call to see what the voice sounded like & that they are not insane sounding & move to a meet ASAP.
Why invest time & effort?

IMO 9 out of 10 meets don't result in anything, so why invest anything? If people keep doing this over & over, all they end up with is a pile of "virtual relationships" rather than the hopeful goal of one real relationship. I'd want to attain that w/o all the drama, posturing & posing.
 blueguy99881
Msg: 231
Posted: 1/6/2015 10:46:57 AM
A shallow is, a shallow does. Womem specialize in shallowness. They all need to have their degree in shallowtology.
 Coma_White
Msg: 232
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2015 11:24:38 AM

A shallow is, a shallow does. Womem specialize in shallowness. They all need to have their degree in shallowtology.

You'd probably have more success if you put the same effort into learning how to interact with women that you do into crying and complaining.
 _shakti_
Msg: 233
Posted: 1/6/2015 11:37:17 AM

IMO 9 out of 10 meets don't result in anything, so why invest anything?
See, this is almost the exact opposite of my thinking. Why would I meet 10 guys if only one *might* turn into something? And based on what, the hope that he actually looks like his pic?

I would genuinely rather find a connection with someone mentally and hope that it pans out in real life, than meet a bunch of guys I have to quickly meet for coffee to see if I like the look of them in person. What about all of the rest that determines compatibility? You can't figure that out in 5 messages as is the general forum consensus.

I'm not saying that I'm right and you are wrong, it's clear that I'm in the minority. It just doesn't compute for me.

When you ask- why invest anything? I ask- why bother meeting some stranger for coffee?

I guess what I'm saying is that when a mental connection has been made, then I'll want to meet. No man's pics are hot enough to make me want to meet him quickly, I could honestly care less. And yeah, if the mental connection doesn't translate into a physical connection or more.. so what? At least I met someone I could have a decent conversation with. But hey, to each their own.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 234
Posted: 1/6/2015 11:47:27 AM

See, this is almost the exact opposite of my thinking. Why would I meet 10 guys if only one *might* turn into something? And based on what, the hope that he actually looks like his pic?

Why would you pen-pal with 10 guys if only one *might* turn into something? Pen-paling for a long time is a longer investment than a little chit-chat and meeting up at a coffee shop or local bar. And yeah, looks is certainly one thing .... as well as interaction in person, etc. Why hide behind a monitor or cell phone, "investing" so much for so long?

I would genuinely rather find a connection with someone mentally and hope that it pans out in real life

If you haven't met them, and you have this pen-pal connection -- that's a lot of work. That's an investment into someone you never even met.

than meet a bunch of guys I have to quickly meet for coffee to see if I like the look of them in person.

It's not just the look -- it's the interaction. It's seeing them face to face. Kind of a REAL deal for people. :) Yes, many people don't look the same in person -- heck, once in a while better. And who in their right mind wants to get Emotionally Involved with someone they never met in person, ever?

When you ask- why invest anything? I ask- why bother meeting some stranger for coffee?

They're not a total stranger either way. But lessening the time & emotion spent, and instead meeting for coffee -- much less investment.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away (in college), when the Internet was in it's infancy and personal ads rarely had photos -- a roommate of mine in a college house was encouraged to try online and he did. He talked to a gal who lived right off campus in a house full of girls. Great. Yep, they both go out to similar bars, have a lot of same interests... well, they're chatting in Yahoo IM for a while. After a week I told him to meet up with her. "Oh no!" he says -- he doesn't want to rush things. Rush things? We talk to girls at the bar, they talk to guys. Geez, just get it out of the way. Nope.

So after a couple months of them IMing every day for hours, and talking on the phone -- they FINALLY MEET. Us guys and she and her roommates, at a bar. After a little chit-chat -- nope. They didn't like each other. Total waste of time. Still would be if it was a whole 2 weeks of chatting every day for hours, too. One of our roommates hit it off with one of hers -- and they ended up Dating for a while. Ha. Who wasted time and who didn't?
 _shakti_
Msg: 235
Posted: 1/6/2015 11:59:16 AM

Why hide behind a monitor or cell phone, "investing" so much for so long?
I'm determining if I want to bother meeting the person. I'm not the type to meet an endless stream of strangers, I'd rather rip all of my eyelashes out. There has to be a reason, a point for me.. if not? No thank you.

Yes, many people don't look the same in person -- heck, once in a while better.
I know that, because every man I've met from the internet looked like or better than their pics. A much better track record than some who complain endlessly about their horrid first dates.

What you consider a waste of time is of no consequence to me. I was only sharing that I go about things differently.

Take your recent dating experience.. if she really considered dating during a separation cheating as such a big issue, she could have asked you that prior to meeting. THAT is what I would prefer.
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 236
Posted: 1/6/2015 12:44:12 PM
I totally get what you say, Shakti, & the 9 out of 10 are what I see & hear from other people about their experiences.

I'm in a relationship & not doing OLD.

When I did back in the day, I found some men did misrepresent & a few of the women I knew IRL who did OLD misrepresented to the men they met.

I'd guess a 9 out of 10 "no" from what I saw w/ them.

You prob are way more in tune & can screen better than the average bear.

But my advice to the avg. OLD user is to meet asap after 1 phone call as to not tie up time w/ a person that there is no mutual chemistry.

I do have to add that each of us finds a method that works for us, some women like to initiate contact or go Dutch, or meet at a bar instead of coffee, etc. IF THAT WORKS for you, great.

Much of what I posted in the past was geared towards people who were getting nowhere in their relationships/dis-satisfied. etc.

Don't want to break a rule by naming names, but one lady who has a pilot's license found a way that worked for HER, but her way may not work for ME, & our way didn't necessarily work for the woman who just got engaged to the professor.

What I would say is, for instance, there was a very sweet lady in here who left, that had a struggle w/ a new relationship (the lady who is a runner) that she needed to switch things up...

If u do A & get B & B is good--- fine.

But if B is not good, stop doing A & try doing C, so maybe u will get D.
 _babblefish
Msg: 237
Posted: 1/6/2015 1:20:48 PM

I would genuinely rather find a connection with someone mentally and hope that it pans out in real life, than meet a bunch of guys I have to quickly meet for coffee to see if I like the look of them in person. What about all of the rest that determines compatibility? You can't figure that out in 5 messages as is the general forum consensus.

I'm not saying that I'm right and you are wrong, it's clear that I'm in the minority. It just doesn't compute for me.

^ puts me in the minority as well, one quick phone call stemmed from an equally quick couple of emails, for many people this isn't enough to assimilate any compatibilites as well as sensing a red flag, you would think that meeting someone so quickly without some sort of gauge lacks responsibility on some level, maybe that explains why their personal safety metre is off the charts
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 238
Posted: 1/6/2015 1:46:30 PM
I'm determining if I want to bother meeting the person.

Through long, drawn-out pen-paling? How is that necessary for there to be a Good Reason? And how is there not still an elephant in the room of there still at least being some aspect of them being a STRANGER -- someone you never met?

I know that, because every man I've met from the internet looked like or better than their pics.

So there was a difference -- and you really think everyone's going to run into that every time? LOL

A much better track record than some who complain endlessly about their horrid first dates.

True. I'll say this... for me -- it's not 9 out of 10 times there's going to be horrid first dates. No. But, 9 out of 10 times it's not going to ride off into the sunset of a Relationship. Being a pen-pal to someone you never met -- I'll agree if the person has a good choice-selection, far from naive, good experience, etc etc -- they'll run into less "horrid" wtf 1st dates. Sure. But those don't come around all that often either if one's a good choice selection on meeting up. It's just not taking forever for one's own personal fear/shy/issues zone.

But a lot more wasted time. Now, if both people ENJOY pen-paling in and of itself, the semi-hermit-like-approach -- OK, whatever floats your boat (but still, objectively speaking, not a good idea as THE way). But most people who've tried it don't get great matches to ride off in the sunset with, although there is a higher liklihood of it Not being crazy-wacky if they have a good sense of a decent catch. However, another factor comes in: This person you've invested in, who you've never met before (*I'd rather pull my eyelashes out for that*) -- many times isn't going to be a Great match once met. Maybe just friends after that. A pretty inefficient procedure in a dating scene.

And many times you won't meet. One person falls off the radar. WTF? Where did they go? OH -- they tried this new concept of the 00's! Meeting someone not taking forever! ;)

Having some banter via email, have a talk on the phone -- that isn't a complete stranger. Sure, more of a stranger than someone you pen-pal with who you've never met before. But also not as invested, and the big weeds pulled out on compatibility -- would rather see in person than behind a monitor or phone. When people go out to a singles bar and mingle, they're meeting strangers all the time -- much more than someone who spent just a few days emailing back n forth that you think is still inefficient.

So if you're out at a convention/bar/event let's say, you won't carry on and talk to guys with potential # exchanges or any thoughts on meeting up at some point? Will you say "Hey, you're just a stranger to me, I really don't like talking to strangers in person. It's like, pulling my eyelashes out. But... Here's my alternative email address. We'll write each other for a good long while... Skype some... then maybe after that, we'll actually meet up. Email me a profile of yourself, too, that'll help whether we even start really communicating."
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 239
Posted: 1/6/2015 2:03:49 PM

I know that, because every man I've met from the internet looked like or better than their pics.

So there was a difference -- and you really think everyone's going to run into that every time? LOL

A much better track record than some who complain endlessly about their horrid first dates.

True. I'll say this... for me -- it's not 9 out of 10 times there's going to be horrid first dates. No. But, 9 out of 10 times it's not going to ride off into the sunset of a Relationship. Being a pen-pal to someone you never met -- I'll agree if the person has a good choice-selection, far from naive, good experience, etc etc -- they'll run into less bad 1st dates. Sure.

But a lot more wasted time. Now, if both people ENJOY pen-paling in and of itself, the semi-hermit-like-approach -- OK, whatever floats your boat (but still, objectively speaking, not a good idea as THE way). But most people who've tried it don't get great matches to ride off in the sunset with, although there is a higher liklihood of it Not being crazy-wacky if they have a good sense of a decent catch. However, another factor comes in: This person you've invested in, who you've never met before (*I'd rather pull my eyelashes out for that*) -- many times isn't going to be a Great match once met. Maybe just friends after that. A pretty inefficient procedure in a dating scene.

And many times you won't meet. One person falls off the radar. WTF? Where did they go? OH -- they tried this new concept of the 00's! Meeting someone not taking forever! ;)

Having some banter via email, have a talk on the phone -- that isn't a complete stranger. Sure, more of a stranger than someone you pen-pal with who you've never met before. But also not as invested, and the big weeds pulled out on compatibility -- would rather see in person than behind a monitor or phone. When people go out to a singles bar and mingle, they're meeting strangers all the time -- much more than someone who spent just a few days emailing back n forth.

So if you're out at a convention/bar/event let's say, you won't carry on and talk to guys with potential # exchanges or any thoughts on meeting up at some point? Will you say "Hey, you're just a stranger to me. Here's my alternative email address. We'll write each other for a good long while... Skype some... then maybe after that, we'll actually meet up. Email me a profile of yourself, too, that'll help whether we even start really communicating."

Norwegian, you make some very valid points here.
 tgif111
Msg: 240
Posted: 1/6/2015 3:05:16 PM

So what is a person to do when they hear this especially if two people get along well, find each other facially attractive, but one states they are not attracted to the other's body type?

just keep looking Jack. ++

I need to be attracted to everything....
her nose, her legs, her personality, her job, her breath--- the works.
 south_city
Msg: 241
Posted: 1/6/2015 7:30:47 PM

Taking your time doesn't necessarily produce better dates. There is only so much that you can determine about another person by email or phone. You can spend weeks chatting by email or phone. Only to find out the other person was dishonest about their appearance. Or has bad breath. Or has a drinking problem. Or is rude to the waitress. Even if a person seems to be normal and polite during a date, there is a good chance that person ends up not being compatible with you.

It's also possible that you never end up seeing the other person. Perhaps (s)he had a good date with someone else that wanted to meet sooner. Or (s)he lost interest because (s)he felt you were looking for an email / text buddy and not that interested in meeting.
 _shakti_
Msg: 242
Posted: 1/6/2015 8:43:46 PM

Through long, drawn-out pen-paling?
If that's what it is to you, don't do it. I enjoy learning about someone that I am considering meeting. 5 emails and a phone conversation doesn't do it for me.

How is that necessary for there to be a Good Reason?
Because I have no desire to meet someone that I have not established a mental connection with, it is pointless for me. And when I say no desire, that's exactly what I mean.. none. And I can't force a desire to meet someone, either it's there or it isn't.

And many times you won't meet. One person falls off the radar. WTF? Where did they go?
Most likely because they lost interest, saw incompatibility.. which I'd rather get out of the way in the messaging stage. Apparently you wouldn't? You didn't answer where I mentioned your last dating experience. That could have been weeded out before even meeting, instead you had a hot and heavy first date and then a let down that you then came and asked a forum of people about. I think I'd rather find such things out through messaging, but yeah.. 'whatever floats your boat'.

So if you're out at a convention/bar/event let's say, you won't carry on and talk to guys with potential # exchanges or any thoughts on meeting up at some point? Will you say "Hey, you're just a stranger to me, I really don't like talking to strangers in person. It's like, pulling my eyelashes out. But... Here's my alternative email address. We'll write each other for a good long while... Skype some... then maybe after that, we'll actually meet up. Email me a profile of yourself, too, that'll help whether we even start really communicating."
Are you really trying to compare real life to online? In that scenario you would have already seen the person in real life, you'd know whether or not there is physical/sexual chemistry, so then it would just be a matter of determining the mental side and other compatibility/deal-breakers.

You're kind of working backward in the online world, but in a sense I like it because I can determine a certain amount of compatibility/deal-breakers before hormones come into play. Which is pretty much the entire reason a man approaches a woman at a bar. Let's be honest. I spent plenty of years playing that side of things, and I'm kinda done with it.

I've become very introverted as I've aged, so socializing for the sake of it isn't all that interesting to me.

A pretty inefficient procedure in a dating scene.
It's quality, not quantity for me.

not a good idea as THE way
I've never done anything THE way, and I'm not about to start now. Who determines THE way anyway? Majority? Hilarious, lol.

OK, whatever floats your boat
Exactly. What more needs to be said?

I could care less if others agree with the way that I do things, but I know for a fact that I am not alone in this. Plenty of others feel this way too, so what.. we should all just conform to a one style fits all dating method? How utterly arrogant to think that yours is the only way to go. We are all different, and different things work for different people.
 south_city
Msg: 243
Posted: 1/6/2015 9:34:46 PM
It took me nine months of daily emailing and texting before we met. We're still together. Getting better and stronger as we go along. There were a fair few contenders but he stood hand and shoulders above everyone else i got to know.

By all means do the speedy meets as espoused on here but don't knock what you haven't tried. I've tried it both ways. And I'm satisfied that taking time and getting to know someone is what works for me, and for others too. Rather clearly.

I agree people can have different timetables for when they want to meet. A few days, a week, a month etc. But this is probably a rare exception though. I think very few people would wait 9 months before meeting.
 petula1908
Msg: 244
Posted: 1/6/2015 9:58:12 PM
tgif111

Really, you need to be attracted to her job?? So it is not only women who judge a person by the profession/income?

However if there is no physical attraction then it is platonic and in the friendzone. What is the problem?
 Coma_White
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2015 10:55:08 PM

tgif111

Really, you need to be attracted to her job?? So it is not only women who judge a person by the profession/income?

I call shenanigans on that one too. Imagine a smoking hot blonde woman inviting him to go home with her. "Sorry sweetie, you work at Applebee's, I'm gonna pass and wait for an accountant."
 south_city
Msg: 246
Posted: 1/7/2015 6:17:10 AM

, i do need to qualify something, we have a distance issue so yes, it took longer to meet than we would have liked due to life/schedules etc.

Bottom line tho? I have no horror stories about people that faded on me, dates that go well n then bomb, etcetera. The reason for that imo is because i took my time, got to know him, and made sure there was a "depth to our connection".
i wouldn't have achieved that had i been all about the meet.
Online dating for me proved painless, albeit lengthy, and touch wood so far it's going great.

I just feel slowing down may really be of benefit for most, but i appreciate, each to their own.

Okay. Fair enough. I have met people ranging from the same day as first contact to about a month later. Depending on schedules, distances etc. In general, waiting longer to have a first date / meeting didn't improve the quality of the date.
 tgif111
Msg: 247
Posted: 1/7/2015 7:56:00 AM
msg 258 and 259:

tgif111

I call shenanigans on that one too. Imagine a smoking hot blonde woman inviting him to go home with her. "Sorry sweetie, you work at Applebee's, I'm gonna pass and wait for an accountant."

I believe we are speaking on the subject of long term are we not?

but let me MAN-SPLAIN a thing to you two folks.
if a woman has a job where she works midnight to 8 am or if she works in Liberal organization (ACLU) or if she has hours which are non conducive to going out and having fun or she has a physical job where she comes home tired all the time then NO, I have the option to look elsewhere.

If she is a smoking hot blond working at Applebees and wants to do the Horizontal Mambo on the kitchen counter then I will bang her like a screen door in a Texas tornedo.
but I've had a number of opportunities in my life to take the hot model babes to my crib and go mattress surfing and I can tell you that those types of women are not the best in bed. the average regular non glamour girl types were more cooperative and ENTHUSIASTIC!
much more satisfying than the Kardashian types with the false eyelashes, makeup and hair that you are not allowed to touch and lips with lipstick you are not allowed to kiss.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 248
Posted: 1/7/2015 8:56:18 AM
I've had the same thing happen to me - not attracted to a man's job. I have a hard time being into a guy who has a dull office job, works in accounting or something like that. Just doesn't seem "manly" to me and I can't help it, it just makes me less attracted to them. Must be because I have been dating mostly military men. At least you can't call me a gold digger.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 249
Posted: 1/7/2015 10:44:05 AM

At least you can't call me a gold digger.

Maybe a Brass digger.

;-)
 earwigs_have_wings
Msg: 250
Posted: 1/7/2015 10:48:08 AM

Same time I bet some women like guys who are 3-4in shorter then them or guys who like flat chested women. There are just not going to be enough tall women who like short guys. Or guys looking for flat chested women..
If I only looking for friends then I don't care for looks. If I want to date I would look for someone that I would want to have sex with.

There is so much emphasis placed on chest size it amazes me! I've never had a problem getting men and feel no shame being small chested. A couple of nights ago I went out with someone I am dating to watch a hockey game in a sports bar and he asked me if I would ever consider getting breast implants. Wow...just wow. Then he said if I had them I'd get more men. Really? Is that a good thing? Not for me.

Regarding short men, my previous ltr was 5'2" tall and I am 5'6" tall. I liked his height and he preferred my 'small chest'. I don't think there is that much discrimination against shorter men and flatter chested women. I really don't...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "I like you but am not attracted to your body type..."