Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > LONG DISTANCE CONTACTS FOR OVER AGE 50      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 101
LONG DISTANCE CONTACTS FOR OVER AGE 50Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

Even though I've always specified that I was only interested in men living in or near my area,

Do you consider that "settling", or not?

Since you're basically saying, "I'm looking for the best that I can find near me, even if someone better is a little farther away".

There was this really hot chick on Venus that I was interested in, it seemed like we were on fire.

But then she got hooked on this cool dude from Pluto.

At least he wasn't from Uranus.

Those are the worst.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 102
view profile
History
LONG DISTANCE CONTACTS FOR OVER AGE 50
Posted: 2/10/2016 11:22:49 AM

At least he wasn't from Uranus.

Those are the worst

Tell me about it, they stink up the place.
 Maleman999
Msg: 103
Posted: 2/10/2016 2:18:25 PM

Even though I've always specified that I was only interested in men living in or near my area,
-------------------------------------------
Do you consider that "settling", or not?......
Since you're basically saying, "I'm looking for the best that I can find near me, even if someone better is a little farther away".

I have restrictions too concerning too far or even too close (don't want to bump into them all of the time if it doesn't work out). Miss Total Perfection must not be closer than 3.629714 miles, and no further than 5.147386 pi squared miles.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2016 12:28:43 PM
LD relationships are generally not good for those over 50 or those over 20. It's not the number of years of one's age where it can be an issue, but the number of miles apart.

Well, there are lots of instances of LD relationships that form and work out just fine.

Depends on what you mean by "lots". It can be considered "lots" of relationship setups that exist, but also fail over 95% of the time due to the setup situation. Some LD relationships didn't start out as LD pen-pals of people who never knew each other. After being BF/GF, some people did have a LD relationship for a while, then came back together. For most people, the way we're wired, it's not good, not healthy, not fulfilling. It's easier for lonely people, non-social people, unattractive people, etc. Not to say one can't develop feelings for someone LD -- but the feasibility to Start things from that point and keep it LD for a while and to then in the future become a normal relationship that's healthy & blooming -- is about as low as a guy with no kids starting things with a gal, who with 3 kids and still married but separated and living with her ex-husband-to-be -- and to live happily ever after a long while of sorting thru it. Hey, it's happened. Expect it to work out? No.

Do you consider that "settling", or not?

Good point. But I "settling" is the whole shebang -- not just how high of a prospect they are on paper .... but everything else included in the package as well. One being LD would make the relationship not as good despite the person being a bit better as a prospect who lives down the road. A sizeable distance takes a big hit on it. In a sense, that person ISN'T better as a catch living far away -- not better as a catch to You, I mean.
 BeyondtheMatrix
Msg: 105
Posted: 2/21/2016 8:00:39 PM

Can someone explain to me why people who live on one side of the country will contact someone living on the opposite of the country with the hope of establishing a relationship? At this stage in life, I don't see that realistically happening. Your insights will be most welcomed. -- Blacklady1953

It might be 'worth' it for them, Blacklady1953. If someone makes even a tenuous connection with another person thousands of miles away, that connection can be strengthened and nurtured, to the point where they almost 'know' each other -- their likes and dislikes, the way they see the world, their mutual interests, their philosophies on life -- and all that's missing is the physical meeting.

There was a man on Australia's Who Wants to be a Millionaire? a few months ago. He was an Australian, living in Australia, and his love interest was in the United States. She was on the telephone, giving him encouragement, and I was struck by the way they spoke to each other -- the deep sense of harmony, as if they'd known each other for years. He won a fair sum of money, I forget how much, and it was all to go over and see his beloved in the United States.

I hope he made it. I hope they made it. All's well that ends well.

Best wishes

- Peter
 JaiNai2
Msg: 106
Posted: 2/22/2016 5:17:25 AM
I don't consider specifying boundaries for the people you want to hear from as "settling". I know I was never willing to relocate. And if someone relocated for me, and it didn't work out, I would feel guilty that he'd left the life he had, for me.

Boundaries work both ways for me. I also don't date men who live too close. Some men are very jealous and possessive and want to watch your every move. At least that's been my experience. And also, as someone else mentioned, it could be awkward running into them if you break up.
 ohenryx
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2016 11:32:59 AM
I have a support job these days, I sit in front of a computer and deal with issues as they arise. Some days are hectic, others are quiet. I can’t wonder away from my desk for very long, I can’t read a book, I can’t watch TV. When things are quiet, I read things from the internet, or participate in various internet forums.

I used to do quite a bit of reading and posting here in these forums, but they have gone downhill rather dramatically. So I spend more time in car forums, and less here. One thing I do is answer all messages that I receive, and I sometimes talk quite a bit online with lonely or bored women. I have had some VERY interesting conversations with beautiful, bored young women, women who are killing time at work, just as I am.

Occasionally, it turns out to be someone looking for a sugar daddy. Which is okay, I have no problem with that. I actually think prostitution should be legal. We would be better off if we regulated it, and taxed it. But no one scams me, no one gets money out of me that I did not fully intend to spend or give.

With all of that said, I have been conversing with a young woman who is living in Mexico. A very beautiful young woman, who is presently in Medical School. Very nice pictures, fairly good English. We have even talked on the phone, once on my nickel, once on hers. Sometimes the conversations are about serious subjects (medicine, her future career choices, her family). Sometimes it gets a bit racy. She is a virgin, and likes to imagine her future sex life.

Everything above could be a lie. We have not met, and probably won’t. But she is obviously young, intelligent, educated, and fairly nice. And I enjoy the conversations.
 americanbulldog89
Msg: 108
Posted: 4/12/2016 11:53:02 AM

Everything above could be a lie. We have not met, and probably won’t

There are a lot of scams taking place. I am a new POF user and immediately received several messages from women. All located far away from me here in Nebraska. What makes me suspicious? Women with graduate degrees starting a sentence with a small letter, no periods or commas, u instead of you, i instead of I, cuz instead of because. Not one single reference to a damn thing in my profile but claimed they loved my profile. Plus the fact that I did time as an auditor for the Internal Revenue Service.

I used to do quite a bit of reading and posting here in these forums, but they have gone downhill rather dramatically.

Sorry to hear this. I have a feeling my time here will be short lived, we will see.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2016 10:16:03 AM
When they send a photo of a very handsome guy and say they are a widower with a young child and live far away from Pennsylvania....I hit the "delete" button.
 professora
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2016 10:02:09 PM
good question you pose.

i dated a man 600 miles away for 11.5 years. we saw each other once a week. in a strange way the distance caused us to last that long. i worked constantly and it fit my schedule.

When I got more time, it stopped working. I wold not likely do it again.
 ndm147
Msg: 111
Posted: 5/5/2016 9:02:52 PM
I am on another dating site where I have no mile restrictions, but most of the long distance men who contact me are scammers or lonely hearts who profess " that distance is of no issue" and as Blacklady in Pa stated, they are mostly widowed with small children or on a peacekeeping mission in ( fill in the blank for the country of your choice).

But on that dating site I was contacted by a younger man that lives about 3 hours away. He is a lawyer. He comes to my city about once a month to attend court cases and stops in to see his sister. We finally got to meet the other day and I was pleasantly surprised how nice he was, well dressed, educated, good looking and all around very nice. We have stayed in contact quite a while via texting, etc and no, he is not married with kids. But unless he was here in town to attend court or see his sister, I would have never ever offered to drive 3 hours to meet him.

But it was nice to meet someone who is not local who says who he is. We had a pleasant afternoon meeting in person.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2016 5:07:56 PM

i dated a man 600 miles away for 11.5 years. we saw each other once a week. in a strange way the distance caused us to last that long. i worked constantly and it fit my schedule.

Wow -- 11.5 years? IMO, that's fine & dandy for a non-serious relationship if one doesn't otherwise want to date. Not that they wouldn't be a serious Person in one's life, but the situation between them on the relationship scale being not-that-serious once past the honeymoon phase. I think non-serious relationships due to thinks like age-gap, distance, etc -- when that level is all they want, can last a long time if that is all they emotionally really need. But usually die out kinda quick -- certainly not 1.5 years, let alone 11.5. But to spend money on airfare if not covered by work to go to and fro anyway would be not a good idea for most. And to be set in as a serious BF/GF? Beyond "as serious as I want one" (which wouldn't be that much)? I think that's not in most peoples' best interests suspended with that distance for too long a time, even if they're running busy-bee lives.

My best friend met a woman online when he was in his fifties, and moved to England from Canada to marry her..... They've been very happy ever since...

Wow. Gave up hockey around the corner for her! Yikes! ;) With stories like that (or moving across the country) -- you'll find thousands where one aimed to or even did, but they realized it wasn't a good idea. But I think it's a good experience to at least have a LD experience at some point in their lives -- to learn and feel what it's like. For a vast majority of people who at least have dabbled in it at some point in their lives, the concept doesn't work for them in the end, even when the circumstances aren't unideal.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2016 10:41:59 PM
It could be that they prefer a distant relationship and maybe want to visit you for a holiday. They may have another relationship going on and like to have someone else to drop in on if they are travelling in your area. I knew a guy like that who would come to my city for business trips but lived in another state, with the wife and kids.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2016 1:23:11 PM

To be fair he was never a fan of hockey

OH -- so he was Kicked out of Canada, then! Treason! So yeah, makes sense he hit an international dating site and was like "G'day Mate!" (even to the British profiles online)

or cold weather...

Which makes the moving away more pleasant. Yeah, the odds are definitely against it and then some. I can understand being email-friends with someone attractive, and when both single occasionally meeting up and being in a more-than-friends situation without expectations for the long-term.... but when they are feeling the need for some change in life, And when a Better job opens up for one of them in the other person's location, and likes it where that other person lives -- to move out there and get their own place, but to open up the doors for true dating. I can see where those situations Could work. But it kind of requires a lot not happening back home + emphasis on Better job, when it's so far away.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 115
Posted: 5/8/2016 7:26:10 AM

She is a virgin, and likes to imagine her future sex life

Jaysus....Do you ever say "no...not going there"...just on morals??
 ohenryx
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2016 8:22:37 AM

Whisky_River
Jaysus....Do you ever say "no...not going there"...just on morals??

In keeping with my tradition of trying to answer all questions, I will answer this. Even though it seems to be more of an attack than a question.

To answer that, let me break it into two halves:

“Do you ever say ‘no...not going there’” – Yes, I do, and fairly often.

“just on morals” – no, not very often.

I tend to say “not going there” when I am presented with someone or something ugly – physical appearance, or attitude and behavior. Donald Trump springs to mind as a prime example of really, really bad attitude and behavior.

But because of some moral stand? No, not often. I won’t say it has never happened, but very rare. People who try to take the high moral ground, and look down on others because they believe themselves to be morally superior, give me a pain in the posterior.

My “morals” pretty much boil down to this: Try to do as little harm as reasonably possible.

And, on a lighter subject:

LetitiaLeGrande
It could be that they prefer a distant relationship and maybe want to visit you for a holiday. They may have another relationship going on and like to have someone else to drop in on if they are travelling in your area. I knew a guy like that who would come to my city for business trips but lived in another state, with the wife and kids.

Just when I was beginning to think that Letitia was one of the “boring forumites” (different thread, but the regulars will have read it), she comes up with this. Congrats, Letitia, this definitely moves you out of the “boring forumite” category!
 Whisky_River
Msg: 117
Posted: 5/8/2016 8:51:49 AM
Seriously Henry...People that believe themselves as morally superior...give you a pain in the ass?
Coming from a man who dates women that are less attractive on Wednesdays for practice....not hard to beat...imo.

I see you have children...so, I will assume grand children.
How about grand daughters? You don't think it's "creepy" that a man old enough to be her grandpa...could be online talking sexual fantasies with her.
Alright!! Wow.....Would they be proud of their dear ole' grandpa? Remember....it's on here forever!!

By the way...I don't "try" to take the higher moral ground. Some things just make me say ick!
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 118
Posted: 5/8/2016 8:14:16 PM

Seriously Henry...People that believe themselves as morally superior...give you a pain in the ass?
Coming from a man who dates women that are less attractive on Wednesdays for practice....not hard to beat...imo.

I see you have children...so, I will assume grand children.
How about grand daughters? You don't think it's "creepy" that a man old enough to be her grandpa...could be online talking sexual fantasies with her.
Alright!! Wow.....Would they be proud of their dear ole' grandpa? Remember....it's on here forever!!

By the way...I don't "try" to take the higher moral ground. Some things just make me say ick!

Not sure why you feel the need to make this seem that Henry is forcing conversation on women...conversations is a two-way street and so unless she is willing to talk to him--he cant be online talking sexual fantasies all by himself

Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of him or his advice and feel the larger portion of what he says is his own fantasy he creates to try and color his world a big bright, in the hey look at me I still matter over here with my constant sexual stories. Does the young Mexican girl exist --or is she a product of his mind--who knows but if she does and she makes the choice to talk to him--his age shouldn't enter into
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2016 8:52:17 PM

You don't think it's "creepy" that a man old enough to be her grandpa...could be online talking sexual fantasies with her.

I don't think it's unethical/immoral for an old man or woman to have sex talk with a Much younger adult, if both people are telling the truth about their age range. I personally may find that to be a little "eww" if said old man/woman was "gross" -- and "Huh?" in reference to the kinda-cute young adult. But then again, I think it's weird/odd seeing some couples walking down the street from time to time. I don't let my tastes on the "ewww" level be the judge as to whether something's an ethical issue or not.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 120
Posted: 5/8/2016 9:11:44 PM
I like you Henry.

Like you do, I really enjoy the company of a woman.

Forgive me for being...crude, but I've sowed my oats.

As much as I enjoy fvckin' around, I'd rather fvck around with a gal I see a future with and one I wouldn't mind showing off on my Facebook.

Otherwise? It's just fvkin' around and I'm tired of that sh!t
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 121
Posted: 5/9/2016 8:01:45 PM
^ I totally hear you. Wanna get married for awhile? ;)
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 122
Posted: 5/9/2016 8:09:00 PM
We need to fvck around for awhile first :)
 ohenryx
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2016 11:40:25 AM

PasssionateSunnyGal
Not sure why you feel the need to make this seem that Henry is forcing conversation on women...conversations is a two-way street and so unless she is willing to talk to him--he cant be online talking sexual fantasies all by himself

Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of him or his advice and feel the larger portion of what he says is his own fantasy he creates to try and color his world a big bright, in the hey look at me I still matter over here with my constant sexual stories. Does the young Mexican girl exist --or is she a product of his mind--who knows but if she does and she makes the choice to talk to him--his age shouldn't enter into

Item one, definitely not a figment of my imagination.

Item two, men here on POF get approached all of the time by younger women trying to sell something. Sometimes they are looking for a sugar daddy, sometimes they are “cam girls” and want you to pay money to watch them on a web cam. Other times, it is some type of con job – “Now that we have talked for 5 minutes, I have fallen in love with you, and if you will only send me $5,000 for a plane ticket I will immediately fly over and marry you!”

I’m sure the majority of men here can verify the truth of the above statements. Most men learn to avoid those kinds of time wasters, but as I stated, I sometimes have large blocks of time to waste, and my only entertainment is on the computer. It looks bad if I hang out in the break room, or read a book, so I sit in front of the computer and …

I was talking to this one particular young lady, who initially approached me. I was waiting to see which of the above 3 categories she would fall into. The reason I mentioned it on here was that she did not seem to fall into any of those categories. She actually did ask for my phone number, and called me. The caller id showed a number in Mexico City, so unless she was a phone hacker and spoofed the number (always possible), she really was in Mexico.

Then one day, she sent me a text message saying, “I’m fed up with all men, I’m not going to play these games any more.” No idea what that meant, although I can certainly make some assumptions. At any rate, I haven’t heard from her since then.

I think I have Whisky_River pegged now. There is a certain class of women who join Meetup, show up at the parties / dances. Men are not attracted, do not flirt with them, do not ask them to dance, do not ask them out. They become bitter and say some very nasty things, and then disappear. ‘Nuff said.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 124
Grandpa is a dirty old man
Posted: 5/20/2016 12:06:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb32Ego033o
 Whisky_River
Msg: 125
Grandpa is a dirty old man
Posted: 5/21/2016 11:54:56 AM
Quit trying to hit on me Henry...told you I have standards...bawhaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFcUzw1aBgQ

@WMB...I was going to use that word.....all aflutter indeed.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > LONG DISTANCE CONTACTS FOR OVER AGE 50