Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 226
view profile
History
Atheism, dating and relationshipsPage 10 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Totally agree. Beliefs in the supernatural lead to poor decision-making.

You've said that twice now. I'm not seeing a connection. Explain what you mean?

best to leave them to their beliefs and their false happiness

Another puzzling comment. What is false happiness?

I know what happened though, what happened was - hearing her father say sex is bad, unless its with a guy who is Arabic/religious as well.

Some religions are all about their sex, they even "order' lots of rest and SEX on the sabbath. Back in the day, in Judaism, the amount of sex required for the marriage was written into the marriage contract. If your wife said the bare minimum she would tolerate was two weeks without, it was put in the contract. Say you worked at sea, and you showed your boss your contract, he HAD to send you back home at least every two weeks to do your wife. Some religions take their sex pretty serious, both ways.

From my limited understand (correct me if I'm wrong), Buddist don't 'forbid' sex outside of a relationship, they just encourage you to be 'mindful' of the pain you might cause your partner ... at least that's the jist I got from limited readings on that.

.Religion is fabric,and I worry about its loss.You can see it all around you...

Easy to understand since most religions weave a pretty substantial amount of love, helping, sharing, empathy, etc. into their teachings. Yes, you learn it from others influential in your life, but they learned it somewhere, and it goes back and back and back ... to what source?
 activemelaney
Msg: 227
view profile
History
Atheism, dating and relationships
Posted: 1/12/2015 3:09:34 PM
^^^

Of course they weave love etc. into their teachings...the textbook passive-aggressive controlling relationship. Accept the love of Jesus or go to Hell....literally. Classic passive aggressive abuser mentality. Accept 'me' or be condemned.

You give yourself completely to Jesus, Allah, or other assorted control freaks or...yup, you will suffer the consequences. God loves you so much that he gave his only son 'to save you'...who believes up this maniacal logic?

'But he loves me'. Too funny in 2015
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 228
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2015 3:17:08 PM

Accept the love of Jesus or go to Hell....literally. Classic passive aggressive abuser mentality. Accept 'me' or be condemned.

Again, not true. Not all religions believe this, of course.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 229
Posted: 1/12/2015 3:46:23 PM

You've said that twice now. I'm not seeing a connection. Explain what you mean?

I thought you'd be one who understood because I've read your posts. You don't see how belief in things that are not real can cloud judgment?
One example in my personal life was a woman who prayed and was "answered by god" that in one year she'd have the funds to purchase a lovely home she took a lease option on. She proceeded to invest money in the property. Guess what happened?
One of my best friends is a"de-fellowshipped" former Jehovah's Witness. His father committed suicide when my friend was 18 because that cult "believed" for the second time the world was ending that year. When the world didn't end, he finally lost his "faith" and killed himself.
There are much more damaging examples in politics and world affairs where entire populations are wiped out, ways of life are wiped out, in the name of someone's "god".
Think Uganda and the gay issue and the American evangelical Xtian churches. Need more?
I admire you, Bebedeleau. We have a lot in common. You're a whole lot nicer than I am though. :)
 calguy14
Msg: 230
Posted: 1/12/2015 4:06:45 PM
@DB
The city guys stopped in the course of their duty.They themselves were astounded that nobody stopped.MacLeod Trail is the main artery heading south from the city core.
@Dan
Something....gave this universe the ability to create,adapt and balance itself.This takes intelligence,which no scientist has the slightest idea if how this is conveyed.We only have to look back at our attempts to modify the environment over the past 120 years or so to realize how crude they were.Some people understood this more than others.
@Bebe
I guess it goes back to the written word.At one time these were not so easily laid down....maybe they gave more thought to them?
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 231
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2015 4:41:50 PM
DB ... I've seen that.
The question ... I was thinking along a different track.

Dan and Cal

Our Universe evolves every nanosecond, it becomes something else. So if you call it a creation than, it's a creation that creates itself indefinitly.

When I read that at the end of your explanations this song came to mind ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIiUqfxFttM

But Dan, you being a chemist, how could you possibly say this:

I can tell you, it is not a creation. A creation is a Mozard symphony. It is set in stone: It cannot ever change not even by a note. It can't evolve. Ever. That's a creation.
 Dan6308
Msg: 232
Posted: 1/12/2015 4:58:32 PM
It depends on the thought process of the person. If they are intelligent enough, and capable of learning they could be a Muslim for all I care.
As a non-religious person I try to be just as self-critical and able to change my mind.
 fearitself
Msg: 233
Posted: 1/12/2015 5:19:43 PM
Gotta love the BRIGHTS. You're like a twisted, non-religious version of Jesus camp people !
 Dan198508
Msg: 234
Posted: 1/12/2015 5:33:58 PM
Something....gave this universe the ability to create,adapt and balance itself.This takes intelligence,which no scientist has the slightest idea if how this is conveyed.We only have to look back at our attempts to modify the environment over the past 120 years or so to realize how crude they were.Some people understood this more than others.

You are assuming that this is the only Universe and that there aren't 10,000,000,000,000 other universes that aren't balanced and nothing ever came out of their "creation".

Nothing happends just once man lol. If it happends once, it means it happened forever before and it will happen forever after, because it means it's possible. If it happends it means it's possible. It is a possibility. That includes your birth. Give me an example of something that only occured once. Don't say the Big Bang.
 daynadaze
Msg: 235
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2015 5:58:50 PM
Ah, I see Calguy, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Dragonbytes, that's a totally different thing than having a faith that there's a god. Or maybe I've misunderstood you too.

rockin-trucker82
Msg: 236
Posted: 1/12/2015 6:31:48 PM

Gnostic is not just about knowledge, or knowing. It is about a very specific type of knowledge, namely that which is acquired only through supernatural means, or spiritually privileged. From there one can derive a couple of different meanings for agnostic.

Well, agnostic does have a very specific definition. It's not up to debate. Every dictionary will tell you the same thing. It's the belief that nothing is known or can be known about if a god exists. Basically, you will NEVER prove or disprove a god existing. And they claim neither belief or disbelief in a god.

And you're right about people confusing it with atheism. But that's because we're obsessed with the idea that the only god that could even possibly be right is one we have to worship, or have worshiped. Maybe every single religion on Earth is wrong, but that doesn't mean that there's no other god.

Agnosticism isn't black and white. And this confuses people. First off, you don't believe in proof of god. You don't believe that the theory of evolution means that there's no god. What an agnostic ultimately believes is based 100% on faith.

The second half of the definition, that we don't claim a belief or disbelief.... We're still human. The idea of we just don't know how the universe began just doesn't work with our nature. Something happened. It could be a god, it could be completely common for universes to just pop into existence (it is actually completely possible in physics). We're ultimately going to form an opinion, it's just human. So while an agnostic by definition shouldn't claim to believe in god, they're going to lean more towards one side. Human nature is going to give you a yes or no answer to if you believe in a god, our brains just don't let us leave a hole for a beginning, there has to be a beginning and an end, we're incapable of comprehending infinity, but to an agnostic, that's going to be their opinion. An agnostic might believe in a god, but is unsure if there IS a god. Just like some people believe New England and Green Bay are playing the Superbowl this year. It's more of believing the likelihood than the absolute, because you're giving every other possibility equal probability thanks to the fact that we can't prove or disprove it. One just sounds better to you, it makes more sense.

This puts a lot of agnostics in that gray area between believing in a god or not. It is the 3rd of answer. It's the "I don't know" or "Maybe". Our human nature and logic just don't agree. You're kind of pulled between whatever you end up believing and the fact that there's not a single piece of evidence to actually back up what you believe. It's a lot more complex than a 3rd one word answer, but it's a valid 3rd option. It's just not always as simple as a yes or no. For a lot of agnostics, it is that easy, but for just as many, it's basically "There can be a god, but there's all this proof that everything that's happened didn't need a god, but why can't a god have just designed it to work on its own like that?" It doesn't exactly answer your yes or no question. But a lot of us think like that.

The problem is that everyone wants agnostics to fit into one of the two sides of the atheist/theist thing. It's completely unrelated, but it's going to affect how we'd answer that question if we believe in a god or not. Objectively, the answer is neither. Emotionally, it's everywhere from 100% sure that you believe in a god to 0% sure that you believe in a god. How do you fit that into a simple yes or no?
 pureandsimple4172
Msg: 237
Posted: 1/12/2015 7:28:03 PM
Franklin Graham: America's ‘Culture of Death’ Stems From a 'Sinful, Godless Worldview That Rejects Christ’
January 12, 2015 - 6:11 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Michael W. Chapman
Subscribe to Michael W. Chapman RSS
Follow Michael W. Chapman on TwitterShare on Facebook Share on Twitter More Sharing ServicesReverend Franklin Graham, son of world renowned evangelical preacher Billy Graham, said that America is increasingly embracing a “culture of death” that echoes what has occurred in Europe, and which stems from a “sinful, godless worldview that rejects Christ.”

Rev. Franklin Graham. (Photo: BGEA)

A further problem in America, he added, is that “Christianity is constantly under siege from the halls of government and education, which seek to suppress any public expressions of faith.”

“In places like Europe, where Christianity has been in decline as the deceptive forces of secularism and materialism have spread across the continent, it’s not surprising to find the practice of euthanasia so entrenched,” said Rev. Graham in a commentary for the January issue of Decision magazine. “Earlier this year, Belgium became the first country in the world to allow child euthanasia with no age limit.”

“I’m concerned that America is not far behind,” said Rev. Graham, who heads the Billy Graham Evangelical Association. “The euthanasia movement—disguised now as ‘death with dignity’—is gaining ground in a number of states. And for every 1,000 live births in the United States, 219 pregnancies end with a murdered child, through abortion.”

“I don’t think there’s any doubt that this rise in the culture of death in our own country coincides with the embrace of an immoral, sinful, godless worldview that rejects Christ,” he said. “Christianity is constantly under siege from the halls of government and education, which seek to suppress any public expressions of faith.”

In addition to the push for euthanasia -- the deliberate murder of the terminally sick, handicapped, elderly, or mentally ill – Reverend Graham noted that the social and entertainment culture seems fixated on death and gore.

Football used to be the dominant choice on television on Sunday evenings in the fall and winter but today, for example, 17 million people skipped the football game to watch the season premiere of The Walking Dead, a series about zombies (the walking dead) hunting and eating people.

A few weeks after that premiere on Oct. 12, “nearly 15 million people turned in to yet another episode, easily surpassing that night’s matchup” between the Broncos and the Chiefs, said Rev. Graham.

“That program is just one of numerous television programs that have garnered tremendous followings by fixating on gore and death,” he said. “At least half a dozen prime time shows are strangely enamored and captivated by it. These shows, when combined with hugely popular video games like Mortal Kombat, demonstrate how obsessed with death our culture has become.”

Despite the near-constant stream of death-entertainment, the peddlers of such fare avoid the stark reality of actual death, said the reverend. They avoid the serious questions.

“The Bible says that once a person dies, he will face the judgment of God,” said Rev. Graham. “There is no reincarnation. There is no second chance.”

He continued, “Death is serious, eternal business. Once our physical hearts beat for the last time, we will instantly find ourselves either in the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ in all His splendor, or in the pit of Hell away from His presence.”

Hollywood doesn’t want to talk about that in any serious way. But “death is not a fictional television series,” said Rev. Graham. “It is not a popular gaming topic. It is the entryway into either eternal life or eternal death. And a culture that treats it as mere fantasy and amusing entertainment does so at its peril.”

Our only hope, said the reverend, is “bold, biblical Christianity” that counters the “devilish, dark culture of sin and death that seeks to enslave and ultimately damn people for eternity.”

Life is short. Eternity is long. Do not tarry for you do not know when you will die. Choose sin and you will face eternal damnation, said Rev. Graham. But choose God and you will gain eternal life.

This also applies to our institutions, our laws, our society. “Wherever Christianity flourishes, there is a vibrant culture of life, not death,” said the reverend. “When the precepts of the Christian faith are faithfully taught and followed, there is an abundance of selfless, sacrificial living and giving.”
 dragonbytes
Msg: 238
Posted: 1/12/2015 7:51:32 PM
dayna
Dragonbytes, that's a totally different thing than having a faith that there's a god. Or maybe I've misunderstood you too.

From reading the thread, it struck me the most dogmatic posters were the atheists. In general they were inclined to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true. Total belief in their non-belief is dogmatic. And they seemed the most outraged / insulting to anyone that questions their non-belief.

But why has humanity always come up with a religion? People here talk mostly about Christian religion, but Greek gods Zeus, to Inca sun gods, we have always come up with a religion.

So why is that? Why is faith and belief so common to humans? (And it applies to things other than religion. People seem to have unwarranted faith in being a vegetarian, or in various odd health remedies, etc)

Turns out one reason is genetic, there is a god gene. VMAT2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_gene

Having a spiritual belief system has genetic value. "spiritual individuals are favored by natural selection because they are provided with an innate sense of optimism, the latter producing positive effects at either a physical or psychological level."

So science thinks faith has survival value.
 Demidar
Msg: 239
Posted: 1/12/2015 7:57:12 PM
In this artificial society , religion , morals, the family , are the foundations of our society . The foundations of western society are in the process of being ripped out , no structure continues to stand once the foundation is ripped out . Collapse of western society is not a matter of if , but a matter of when . Those three things are what keep men civilized and with out them society will fall , then chaos will reign . At that time , those who feel so entitled , will actually be entitled to nothing .
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 240
Posted: 1/12/2015 8:57:08 PM
I actually can relate to this guys post above me ^^^

The human race has not avoided war and famine despite advances in technology.

History is still repeating itself.

Historians liken us to the Roman Empire...overextended, low on resources and compromising on values.

Public displays of violence (i.e. MMA fighting) and acceptance of homosexuality were evident just before the collapse of the Roman Civilization into the dark ages.

I accept gays! I'm simply stating that there are some parallels between the good ole US of A and the Romans.

We won't suffer from an external threat, but will internally break up instead, just as the Romans did.

States will attempt to seceded from the Union over issues such as the Border.

We're not quite there...yet.

I'm ranting....

Peace:)
 calguy14
Msg: 241
Posted: 1/13/2015 4:33:49 AM
@dragon
IIRC,the Chinese recently observed some positive effects from religion acting on the brain.

@Dan
That link Becky provided,which I commented on,Hawking feels the universe is a splat from other colliding universes.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 242
Posted: 1/13/2015 5:30:10 AM
We won't suffer from an external threat, but will internally break up instead, just as the Romans did.

Not ranting, sounds pretty accurate to me, this country is bleeding out. And the bad thing about another great depression scenario, is that we rely on mega farms, and the US population has expanded to numbers that make weathering a storm like that extremely bad for everyone. Horror and chaos comes to mind, and that isn't good when women and children are involved.
 calguy14
Msg: 243
Posted: 1/13/2015 6:48:07 AM
¥^^
Churches would be full again.There is an external threat.Military superiority.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 244
Posted: 1/13/2015 9:42:05 AM
Life for people has continued to get better and easier, no more plagues that wiped out 60% of Europe's population, no more wars like wwII with 60-80 million dead, or the American Civil War where between 10% and 30% of males died.

No great famine like the Irish Potato Famine where 20-25% of the entire population of Ireland died.

MMA fighting Vs lions tearing people apart? Not in the same ballpark.

People today agonize over how many dates they get or being too fat.

The biggest problem today is there aren't any REAL problems to worry about, so we worry about potential problems.

When 1 in 10 die before the age of 20, then we will start to know what the real problems in the past were.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 245
Posted: 1/13/2015 10:42:56 AM

The biggest problem today is there aren't any REAL problems to worry about, so we worry about potential problems.

Oh my god, this is what I tell Jehovah's Witnesses when they come to my door.

Just think about how awesome the world became, not by a computer, or the internet, but the invention of inside plumbing and the crapper. Life as is, is awesome.
 Dan198508
Msg: 246
Posted: 1/14/2015 1:53:22 PM
Oh my god, this is what I tell Jehovah's Witnesses when they come to my door.

Ask the Jehovah's witness next time they come at your door:

"When Jesus was on the cross, did he yell "Jehovah, Jehovah, lamassa bahtani!"? Or did he say ELI!?"

That should set them straight.
 Maleman999
Msg: 247
Posted: 1/14/2015 2:21:15 PM
^^^Or tell them to fck off and get off my property. That works too.
 overunity
Msg: 248
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2015 2:30:07 PM
^^^Or tell the joho ladies you're going to undress them and throw the real fear of god into them, lmfao!
 cooldog65
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2015 5:17:18 PM
^^^^^ Or tell them you'll take them to the "Garden of Eden" and they'll meet your "snake".
 JoeBnD
Msg: 250
Posted: 1/14/2015 9:58:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Irony anyone?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships