Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CTRLvector
Msg: 251
Atheism, dating and relationshipsPage 11 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Yeah that is a great example of Irony.

Also you're just mad because we make sense.

You wasted life why wouldn't you waste the afterlife?
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 252
Atheism, dating and relationships
Posted: 1/14/2015 11:00:36 PM
Actually, those that don't believe also have hope, thoughts, dreams, do great deeds, work hard,raise strong family's, love their fellow man, are charitable of their time and money, are giving, open, honest, have high morals and on and on. I also know that many that don't believe in your god or your version of the bible have also read and studied many different religions, versions of bibles as well as teachings of other religious writings including pagans, Druids, witchcraft and more. Many are well versed and more informed thank Father Jim down at the local church. Some look at it as history....not gospel.

As to creation ....you can't prove it either so that must be most upsetting to you as well. Many religious people also seem to degrade those that don't believe....that's the irony.

I don't care one way or another whether someone does or doesn't have faith. Believing in a God is one way....it's not the only way.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 253
Posted: 1/15/2015 5:45:16 AM
Zealots on forums are a majority, most on this thread are atheistic zealots.

The role of spirituality and health is increasingly being studied and acknowledged.

The NIH is a scientific fact based organization that looks at the facts regardless of dogmatic viewpoints of either atheistic zealots or regligious zealots. They acknowledge the power of spiritual beliefs in health and a longer life.

You should acknowledge the fact that having spiritual beliefs is in general a more healthy way to live, and then find a way to balance your lives to incorporate your own brand of spirituality. It need not be an Abrahamic, monotheistic religion.

Some observational studies suggest that people who have regular spiritual practices tend to live longer (9). Another study points to a possible mechanism: interleukin (IL)-6. Increased levels of IL-6 are associated with an increased incidence of disease. A research study involving 1700 older adults showed that those who attended church were half as likely to have elevated levels of IL-6 (10). The authors hypothesized that religious commitment may improve stress control by offering better coping mechanisms, richer social support, and the strength of personal values and worldview.

Positive reports on those measures—a meaningful personal existence, fulfillment of life goals, and a feeling that life to that point had been worthwhile— correlated with a good quality of life for patients with advanced disease.

Different studies suggest that 60% to 90% of all patient visits to primary care offices are related to stress. I teach the relaxation response to many of my patients, and I have found it particularly useful for patients with chronic pain, high blood pressure, headaches, and irritable bowel syndrome.

Spirituality is recognized as a factor that contributes to health in many persons. The concept of spirituality is found in all cultures and societies. It is expressed in an individual's search for ultimate meaning through participation in religion and/or belief in God, family, naturalism, rationalism, humanism, and the arts. All of these factors can influence how patients and health care professionals perceive health and illness and how they interact with one another.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1305900/
 basilisk123
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2015 5:50:41 AM
^^^^Well, I am agnostic. Don't think I am a zealot of agnosticism. What would that look like anyways? It would be pretty funny lol.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 255
Posted: 1/15/2015 6:22:42 AM
Naw im just screwing around because I like to push buttons -

Off topic for a second ----
segue back on topic (sort of ) ---
I think heaven sent me an angel!!!

I think I just found love at first write (I was trying to be clever) check out this score:

I am me n nothing more, if u can't except that then u can move on...im a simple woman with no time for drama...im a sucker for a man with tattoos n pitbulls...im a cali girl all the way, love the beach

Oooh baby! .... if only I had a pitbull and sweet jailhouse tats... oh well woe is me.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2015 7:08:01 AM

Public displays of violence (i.e. MMA fighting) and acceptance of homosexuality were evident just before the collapse of the Roman Civilization into the dark ages.

I accept gays! I'm simply stating that there are some parallels between the good ole US of A and the Romans.

We won't suffer from an external threat, but will internally break up instead, just as the Romans did.

Oh sure. (* $ % # @ shaking head)

It couldn't be this time will be because we're overpopulating the earth and simply won't have enough to go around? Hence, fighting to take what you have so that the winner can control it? Have you figured out that war is about control?

And you connect 'acceptance of homosexuality' as evidence of pending collapse? I can't believe this statement of bigotry.

Having Freedom is having freedom from bigotry, freedom from prejudices, freedom to be who you really are.

There are night and day differences between 2000 years ago and today. Technology has never, ever, been what it is now. I tend to think positively. The future is bright.

And I think we value our freedoms more today then ever.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 257
Posted: 1/15/2015 8:26:45 AM

When the Roman Empire was at it's peak they were also at their peak for the technology of their time. I'm sure some romans must have felt that " Technology has never, ever, been what it is now "
The empire fell apart and that was basically the beginning of the dark ages... technology ground to a virtual halt...

The problem with empires is they are made up a countries that have been conquered or occupied. Those countries eventually want to self govern.

The USA isn't an Empire, we are more like Canada or the current Great Britain, which is a union of several countries. The old British Empire did break up.

Keep in mind the Roman Empire lasted from 27 BC – 1453  AD, while the USA has been around only 239 years. So another 1000 years at the minimum even though it's likely the USA will never ever "break up" since we are a union of mostly contiguous well unified states.
 daynadaze
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2015 8:41:21 AM

You should acknowledge the fact that having spiritual beliefs is in general a more healthy way to live, and then find a way to balance your lives to incorporate your own brand of spirituality. It need not be an Abrahamic, monotheistic religion.

And you don't see the problem with this simplistic idea? How does one gain good health by pretending to believe in something they don't?

Atheists are the most dogmatic? That's because you don't tolerate the fact that other people don't see things your way. Dogmatic & Zealot don't work the way you are trying to use them, you are just trying to make something sound profound when in actuality, not believing in gods is just that, how the person might express themselves may also contain some hyperbole, but that's not part of being an atheist, that's a personality issue.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 259
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2015 12:02:25 PM

The human race has not avoided war and famine despite advances in technology.

Advances in technology is not supposed to do that for us. WE are supposed to do that.

History is still repeating itself.

Mark Twain said that history does not repeat itself...but it does rhyme.

As I read so many negative comments about religion I can't help but wonder what negative, intolerant and indignant people there are. At least people have something to believe in, something to hope for and something to aspire to. You naysayers offer nothing but arrogance and ignorance.

The last sentence is a lie. Also...one should be willing to examine religion. And...it's not good enough to have something to believe in, hope for, aspire to...instead, it'd be best to have something much less destructive and worth believing in, aspiring to, etc.

The problem isn't about having hope or a fabric in society...it's about how you derive that hope, and the true full nature of that "fabric".
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 260
Posted: 1/15/2015 12:33:28 PM

How does one gain good health by pretending to believe in something they don't?

^^^ I think you're missing the point. The medical society is actually getting on board with similar thinking.....backed up by scientific studies.
Therefore, this comment is quite funny - and applies to yourself

I interpret the medical research as saying people who are able, for whatever unfortunate reason, to believe in the supernatural (ie., things that are not there), benefit in terms of health. I'm not giving up rational free thought for anything, not anything. Even if I wanted to, I just don't have the kind of brain that will accept nonsense.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 261
Posted: 1/15/2015 1:26:35 PM
I've met several incarnations of Linda Blair on PoF.

Trust me on this, the supernatural exists.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 262
Posted: 1/15/2015 1:30:15 PM

Trust me on this, the supernatural exists.

You may be joking, but I actually do believe in the supernatural. There are many things that we have been able to detect through science to be true. For instance, it's proven that through faith and prayer, people have gotten better faster. Or people with extra perception have been able to connect with other people even in different continents. I personally believe in an infinite intelligence that is all around us in the universe.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2015 2:24:04 PM

...through faith and prayer, people have gotten better faster...

This stuff is basically about having a good attitude, and emotionally mature. This is done all of the time WITHOUT "faith and prayer" by people who're able to do it without that stuff...the faith-and-prayer is for those who refuse to just straighten up their attitude.

...I actually do believe in the supernatural. There are many things that we have been able to detect through science to be true...

There is much that may be "true", but the problem is that it's not SUPERnatural...it'd just be natural. When you start calling it supernatural, you're screwing up somewhere in your thinking.

I personally believe in an infinite intelligence that is all around us in the universe.

If it's true, then fine. But it'd just be natural. Not supernatural.
 Demidar
Msg: 264
Posted: 1/15/2015 2:57:41 PM
Only reason technology advances is because one side is always trying to be superior to the other side . Military hardware technology advances faster than anything else . They have things we do not have a clue about .
 Maleman999
Msg: 265
Posted: 1/15/2015 4:33:09 PM
I will believe in the supernatural when I hear voice coming from nowhere, saying to me: "Here are the winning numbers in the next lottery draw. Give a try." And it happens to be true.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2015 6:55:39 PM

For instance, it's proven that through faith and prayer, people have gotten better faster.

Well, I hope you can back up your statement with facts!

I do not think it's been proven. And I will back up my statement with double-blind clinical studies:

"A 2001 double-blind study at the Mayo Clinic randomized 799 discharged coronary surgery patients into a control group and an intercessory prayer group, which received prayers at least once a week from 5 intercessors per patient. Analyzing "primary end points" (death, cardiac arrest, rehospitalization, etc.) after 26 weeks, the researchers concluded "intercessory prayer had no significant effect on medical outcomes after hospitalization in a coronary care unit."[17]"

"A 2005 MANTRA (Monitoring and Actualisation of Noetic Trainings) II study conducted a three-year clinical trial led by Duke University comparing intercessory prayer and MIT (Music, Imagery, and Touch) therapies for 748 cardiology patients. The study is regarded as the first time rigorous scientific protocols were applied on a large scale to assess the feasibility of intercessory prayer and other healing practices. The study produced null results and the authors concluded, "Neither masked prayer nor MIT therapy significantly improved clinical outcome after elective catheterization or percutaneous coronary intervention."[26] Neither study specified whether photographs were used or whether belief levels were measured in the agents or those performing the prayers."
 CTRLvector
Msg: 267
Posted: 1/15/2015 7:38:19 PM

For instance, it's proven that through faith and prayer, people have gotten better faster.
Well, I hope you can back up your statement with facts!

Placebo effects: clinical aspects and neurobiology

Placebo effects are beneficial health outcomes not related to the relatively direct biological effects of an intervention and can be elicited by an agent that, by itself, is inert. Understanding these placebo effects will help to improve clinical trial design, especially for interventions such as surgery, CNS-active drugs and behavioural interventions which are often non-blinded. A literature review was performed to retrieve articles discussing placebo implications of clinical trials, the neurobiology of placebo effects and the implications of placebo effect for several disorders of neurological relevance. Recent research in placebo analgesia and other conditions has demonstrated that several neurotransmitter systems, such as opiate and dopamine, are involved with the placebo effect. Brain regions including anterior cingulate cortex, dorsolateral prefrontal cortex and basal ganglia have been activated following administration of placebo. A patient's expectancy of improvement may influence outcomes as much as some active interventions and this effect may be greater for novel interventions and for procedures. Maximizing this expectancy effect is important for clinicians to optimize the health of their patient. There have been many relatively acute placebo studies that are now being extended into clinically relevant models of placebo effect.

CHIZZZZAYUM
 BeckyHT
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2015 1:09:31 PM

There are many studies supporting the idea that prayer helps mentally, emotionally and psychologically. Those elements, in itself, are major contributing factors for anyone to heal. However, in one of the studies I read, it claimed that those who did not use prayer had a less positive response to cure what ails them.

You did not quote a single study.
If you do, I hope they are double-blind clinical studies.

I'm waiting.

Because I did quote double blind clinical studies. There is no proof yet.
 nocrapzone
Msg: 269
Posted: 1/18/2015 1:45:27 PM
" there are many studies"..showing that believing in Santa Claus & the Easter Bunny give hope, and peace & tranquility & calm

therefore it's good for parents to continue lying to their kids. and even for adults to believe in these entities & 'pray' to them..or at least send wish lists to them
 Maleman999
Msg: 270
Posted: 1/18/2015 3:45:00 PM
^^^Don't forget the Tooth Fairy, where children are taught that if a stranger sneaks into your bedroom in the middle of the night and approaches you in bed, it's a good thing.
 daynadaze
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2015 4:19:27 PM
I read a study some years ago where house plants grew better when nuns prayed over them. You can prove anything if you bias the study.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 273
Posted: 1/18/2015 4:43:19 PM
"With the existence of ancient religious documents"

I wonder what civilization (if there is one) will think of this era's religious documents eight/ nine hundred years from now?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 274
Posted: 1/18/2015 8:28:10 PM
becky--just above your studies in the wiki, is this:
Retroactive intercessory prayer

A 2001 study by Leonard Leibovici used records of 3,393 patients who had developed blood infections at the Rabin Medical Center between 1990 and 1996 to study retroactive intercessory prayer.[23] To compound the alleged miraculous power of prayer itself, the prayers were performed after the patients had already left the hospital. All 3,393 patients were those in the hospital between 1990 and 1996, and the prayers were conducted in 2000. Two of the outcomes, length of stay in the hospital and duration of fever, were found to be significantly improved in the intervention group, implying that prayer can even change events in the past. However, the "mortality rate was lower in the intervention group, but the difference between the groups was not significant." Leibovici concluded that "Remote, retroactive intercessory prayer was associated with a shorter stay in hospital and a shorter duration of fever in patients with a bloodstream infection." Leibovici goes on to note that in the past, people knew the way to prevent diseases (he cites scurvy) without understanding why it worked. In saying so, he suggests that if prayer truly does have a positive effect on patients in hospital, then there may be a naturalist explanation for it that we do not yet understand. After many scientists and scholars criticized this retroactive study,[24] Leibovici later stated that it was "intended lightheartedly to illustrate the importance of asking research questions that fit with scientific models."[25]

And here, we'll go back to the children's story I've lived my life by: The King had heard of this thing named "elephant" --but no one knew what or whereof one was. So he sent his five, blind, wise, men to discover what was named "elephant." So, said the king when they had all returned. . . . The first wiseman said, I have examined the elephant, and he is like a great leaf. You lie, said the second, he is like a WALL!! No, no! Said the third, he is like a tree, and I know, because I have touched him!! Wrong said the forth, the elephant is like a snake. A huge snake. You are ALL wrong said the fifth: he is like a small wispy rope.

When dating, I have tried to give the most space in my heart to those who are aware they're blind. That we are *all* blind.

gtomustang
Msg: 275
Posted: 1/18/2015 9:26:37 PM
1)History "repeats itself" simply b/c human nature never changes. So, its not so much repeating itself, as constantly consistantly following the lead of human nature.

2)all empires fall from within, for the reason Dragonbites pointed out--they cost too darn much to run, and future generations get too lazy to make the sacrifices necessary. They are too used to things being good, to sacrifice enough to keep the massive effort going (sacrificing young lives of soldiers and paying taxes for armies).

3)If we humans don't totally understand nature, then the "supernatural" (literally, above nature) might be just the things we don't understand....yet.

4)if the nuns praying over the plants prayed out loud, then they did exactly what people who spoke to their plants did...previde carbon dioxide, which the plants feed on.
Prayer can work for medical issues...by giving the patient something to live for. In other words, optimism over pessimism. Sometimes, parents may also "hold on", if they think their adult children aren't ready to stand on their own two feet.

5) if we truly did learn everything there was to know about nature and the universe...what would it really do to benefit us? we're designed to die so that the planet doesn't overpopulate, anyway. constant death rates allow stronger genes to survive and populate and evolve the species.
 nocrapzone
Msg: 276
Posted: 1/19/2015 8:24:56 AM

I'm not certain why so many people are dead against the idea that a God exists when, in truth, you have zero proof to disprove the notion?

and you have zero proof to disprove the existence of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth fairy, or the Great Pumpkin..
or even the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

are you dead set against acknowledging these entities? absence of evidence of either existence or non existence would logically tilt the decision in the direction of non-existence, no?

do you have one shred of evidence in the existence of "god" which is not circular in nature?..(e.g. the bible says..) & (the bible is the word of god..) therefore..

of which "god" do you speak? Thor? Zeus? Athena?

there have been thousands of gods over the years

which are we to pick to believe in?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships