Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nocrapzone
Msg: 277
Atheism, dating and relationshipsPage 12 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

The Catholic Church is credited with the formation of the university system in Europe from where it spread. The Big Bang theory is attributed to the Catholic priest/physicist Georges LeMaitre.

also credited with excommunicating Copernicus & Galileo for expounding scientific principles not in agreement with church doctrine.

i.e. having the audacity to say that the Earth revolves around the Sun, not the other way around as expounded by the "Infallible" popes..

it seems "the Church" had/has little tolerance for scientific discoveries that dare to challenge their expounded beliefs
 nocrapzone
Msg: 279
Atheism, dating and relationships
Posted: 1/19/2015 9:53:21 AM
Yes, also the Crusades, killing people, slaughtering children, beheading thousands, was a wonderful way to display the Christian love & tolerance of the Catholic church.

but probably you have "evidence " that the Crusades never happened? lol.
 nocrapzone
Msg: 281
Posted: 1/19/2015 10:35:23 AM
maybe go back to stealing, hating minorities & gays, and cheating throughout the week ,then going to church on Sunday to demonstrate what a"good guy"you are?:)

I have more evidence of the Crusades than you have evidence of a"god"
 calguy14
Msg: 283
Posted: 1/19/2015 10:55:16 AM
^^^
The crusades still stickin' in your craw nocrapzone?They were a mission of mercy to free the Holy Land from the oppressors. Shall we talk about how the Muslims trod on all forcing them to pay special taxes,forced their blood upon the North African peoples and kept Christian Artesians in dark cells when they werent building their castles in Spain?

Go back to the 11th century boy,you fit in better there.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 284
Posted: 1/19/2015 11:02:02 AM
Maybe name a religion that DOESN'T have a checked history of murder, rape, pillage,deceit, etc.

Now we're going to - my god is better than your god, na, na, na, na. ??? All of the stories are in books.....story books from all faiths.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 285
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:22:07 PM

"We live on a blue planet that circles around a ball of fire next to a moon that moves the sea, and you don’t believe in miracles?"

Not when there's trillions upon trillions of balls of fire in said universe, and trillions upon trillions of planets & moons in said universe that circle the many trillions of balls of fire due to basic gravity. Far far far from any "miracle". One would have to come up with something better than that. :)

And also, our planet doesn't circle around a ball of fire that's next to a moon. I'm not sure if this was just a typo or a misunderstanding. One of MANY moons in the mere solar systems circles our planet instead of other planets, and our planet circles the big ball of fire. Again, basic gravity. Nothing special.
 daynadaze
Msg: 286
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:32:25 PM

Those are some bold statements and pretty serious accusations you're making against myself and other Christians. Believe as you will but it could be of benefit to yourself to study up on some of these things.

This is used a lot, and yet like many other atheists, I have studied religions, I have gone to churches, I have studied with the clergy of those churches, and I found no reason to believe in any gods. And I know many religious people who have no clue about anything but the basics of their religion, never studied it at all. For me personally, I had to know what it was before I could know whether or not if I believed in it.
 WALK4ESTWALK
Msg: 287
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:32:46 PM
The Bible says in Genesis that God says we will surely die if we eat from the Tree of Knowledge. Do you think man has the capacity to kill himself through knowledge?
 calguy14
Msg: 288
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:33:10 PM
@ Norwegian guy
It appears next to a moon.The universe is a miracle.This all didn't start from a bag of rocks.
@walks
Absolutely
 aj7125
Msg: 289
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:36:35 PM
"I'm not certain why so many people are dead against the idea that a God exists"

^^^^^^ There are many in this post but overall in this country, a small percentage compared to those who do believe in God.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 290
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:42:12 PM

The Catholic Church is credited with the formation of the university system in Europe from where it spread. The Big Bang theory is attributed to the Catholic priest/physicist Georges LeMaitre.

Pleople like to ‘latch on’ to a term to say it was their term when it didn’t come out of their mouths.

Physicsoftheunivers:
In 1931, at a meeting of the British Association in London to discuss the relationship between the physical universe and spirituality, (George) Lemaître first voiced his proposal that the universe had expanded from an initial point, which he called the "primeval atom" or "the Cosmic Egg, exploding at the moment of the creation", a theme he developed further in a report published in the journal “Nature” later that year.
Lemaître argued that, if matter is everywhere receding, it would seem natural to suppose that in the distant past it was closer together, and that, if we go far enough back, we reach a time at which the entire universe was in an extremely compact and compressed state. He spoke, rather vaguely, of some instability being produced by radioactive decay of the primal atom that was sufficient to cause an immense explosion that initiated the expansion of the universe. The theory later became much better known as the "Big Bang" theory after a sarcastic remark of the English astronomer Fred Hoyle in 1949, and its importance today is arguably due more to the revival and revision it received at the hands of George Gamow in 1946.

Wikipedia: “ English astronomer Fred Hoyle is credited with coining the term "Big Bang" during a 1949 BBC radio broadcast. It is popularly reported that Hoyle, who favored an alternative "steady state" cosmological model, intended this to be pejorative, but Hoyle explicitly denied this and said it was just a striking image meant to highlight the difference between the two models.”

So Lamaitre said it was an exploding Cosmic Egg in 1931, and astronomer Fred Hoyle coined it a “Big Bang” in 1949 although he favored a ‘steady state’ model. So a exclamation is what people remembered. If you read the history, a lot of scientists have contributed to the model. Significant progress in Big Bang cosmology have been made since the late 1990s as a result of advances in telescope technology as well as the analysis of data from satellites such as COBE,[58] the Hubble Space Telescope and WMAP.
 daynadaze
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:42:38 PM
Being in a minority is in no way meaning one is wrong.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 292
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:53:01 PM

Being in a minority is in no way meaning one is wrong.

And being in the majority by no means makes one sane or free of delusion.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 293
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:55:46 PM
^^^. And does it matter? There are more and more who don't believe in "A" god and many that don't believe in your god . Multitudes around the world who don't believe in your god. Many more who don't believe in miracles or visions of the Jesus on a grilled cheese sandwich. Not a damn thing wrong with faith...just don't let it rule my country or lead us into wars or do a "one size fits all". The bible is a story book written by men, ordinary men, not god. Please don't think it's more than that. And keep your faith, believe as you wish and let others do the same.
 aj7125
Msg: 294
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:57:21 PM
My point was this thread and most of the people posting in it does not represent the majority. And that was my point when I quoted an earlier poster who seemed shocked at the "so many" comment when overall, it isn't.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 296
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:08:45 PM

It appears next to a moon.The universe is a miracle.This all didn't start from a bag of rocks.

So do the clouds when you look up in the sky. My point is, the phrase is drawing an inaccurate picture. It has nothing to do with the existence of Hey-Zeus or no Hey-Zeus or any other childhood fantasies (when taken literally) -- but just about the phrase itself. The moon doesn't circle around the sun, it circles around the earth which circles around the sun. Now, if that was a result of a misunderstanding in hurrying up a one-liner -- I understand, no big deal. Just playing (science) English-teacher. But if someone doesn't Know that (like some people on OKC will answer that the Earth is bigger than the Sun) -- then said person should maybe start second-guessing their perspective on things.
 nocrapzone
Msg: 297
Posted: 1/20/2015 1:34:43 PM
I understand the need for a god. It is an imaginary friend for grownups. First you believe in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus. When you " outgrow" those, you are ripe to swallow other fairy tales
 nocrapzone
Msg: 298
Posted: 1/20/2015 1:40:43 PM
Yes I know the Crusades were a war of liberation ". In the way Hitler and the nazis generously offered to liberate Europe. Or ISIS, or the Taliban, the middle east. Also the tales of priests raping young boys and girls, and the entire church hierarchy conspiring to cover it up, bishops, archbishops. Cardinals and the pope himself. Just made up stuff, right? You have " evidence " to the contrary. .
 Maleman999
Msg: 299
Posted: 1/20/2015 1:57:15 PM

I understand the need for a god. It is an imaginary friend for grownups.

The need to believe in God is based solely on the fear of death. People don't want to believe that once they die, they are actually dead. So they invent some super-duper resort they magically end up in-direct transit from morgue to Heaven, and all of they azzholes they don't like end up in Hell. Where do animals end up when they die?
 WALK4ESTWALK
Msg: 300
Posted: 1/20/2015 5:01:29 PM
MSG #320: Where do animals end up when they die?

In our bellies, of course. Do you want me to elaborate on what they turn into after death?
 nocrapzone
Msg: 301
Understanding the need to delude oneself and believe one will live "forever"
Posted: 1/21/2015 7:41:04 AM
if someone truly has "faith", a blind belief, unshakable in the face of facts or evidence,

how can it possibly be "diminished" ?

can you explain why you fear anyone challenging your faith, or why it should bother you at all?

it is only noise in the background of your unshakable "faith", right?

myself, I dislike self righteous BS artists who claim they are superior to others and have "morals" that others cannot share if they do not

share in the same delusions & blind belief in thousands-years old writings by the elite of society back then..or indeed claim that they are the

only ones with morals & atheists cannot possibly hold any moral values, false on the face of it

and by the way, bragging about one's "moral superiority" flies in the face of the same bible often quoted

which states that the biggest sin is "pride" ..does it not?
 pureandsimple4172
Msg: 302
Understanding the need to delude oneself and believe one will live forever
Posted: 1/21/2015 8:01:41 AM
You are a clueless soul, nocrapzone.

If you ever step foot in a Church, you'd realize it is a Church full of people who realize they are imperfect. I never hear any religious people talk about themselves being better and morally superior than non-religious people. The only people who talk like that and throw out that nonsense are non-religious people such as yourself.

You really should answer why you are so determined to attack other peoples beliefs...beliefs that are of no threat to your existence here on Earth
 nocrapzone
Msg: 303
Posted: 1/21/2015 8:09:48 AM
OK, you are better because you are more humble than others..LOL a sort of "reverse pride"..

FYI, I have 'set foot' in churches many times, but never wish to do so again (so keep that superiority snide remark to yourself, please)
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 304
Posted: 1/21/2015 10:31:11 AM
NCZ--Personally, I don't know which is the worse experience, being marshmallowed by a true believer, or being rasped to death by an angry anti-theist. Not certain why it's necessary for adults to discuss it at all. we are each, as humans, being, different from each other. Clearly, some are wired with no God Part of the Brain, and others are. And so what? Like the mother in Miracle on 34th Street, who is determined that HER daughter shall NOT believe. . . . gets neither her, nor her child any peace, nor any joy, nor. . . . On the reverse, believers insisting that their child BELIEVE is an oxygen depriving experience for the child. A soul killer.

As someone once said: The world is so full of a number of things, I'm sure that we all should be happy as kings!

Maleman999
Msg: 305
Posted: 1/21/2015 11:18:00 AM
I would have a lot more respect for religion if religious leaders were to practice what they preached. The "action speaks louder than words" scenario. There are numerous countries around the world who are at war, with daily mass killings and people being tortured. Why is it I never see religious leaders and their flock holding big protests and rallies at government buildings and military installations all over the Christian world to protest against people who do the opposite of what the scriptures and the Ten Commandments teach-such as love thy neighbor, thou shall not kill, forgive those who have sinned, and all of that other stuff about loving and respecting all people-even if those people are a-holes?

The last time I recall massive rallies against war and killing is the peace marches against the war in Vietnam in the 1960's. It wasn't organized by religion. It was organized by ordinary young people who did not want to be forced to fight a war. In fact, 4 Kent State University students were killed by the National Guard while attending a protest against the war. How many religious leaders have died for protesting any war?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships