Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 daynadaze
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Atheism, dating and relationshipsPage 3 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

And that's kind of a problem I have with a lot of atheists lines to tell someone to prove Christianity.

You cannot prove a negative, you cannot prove there is no gods, but if one believes in gods then they should be able to prove their existence.

Is that what you are referring to?
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 52
Atheism, dating and relationships
Posted: 1/4/2015 7:30:29 PM

But simply stating that God created the universe...ah, nope, I doubt it.

I wouldn't be that quick to be sure. Look at the theories we have that we have mountains of evidence to support... Like how in the middle of a black hole time slows to a stop. Trace the universe back to the singularity, and time slows to a stop.

Particles can just kind of pop up. They can disappear, then show up somewhere else.

We have evidence that our entire universe is holographic projection of a 2D universe.

Is some kind of god creating the universe REALLY that impossible? The realities of our universe are pushing on what you'd consider sci-fi.
 Maleman999
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/4/2015 7:35:33 PM

You cannot prove a negative, you cannot prove there is no gods, but if one believes in gods then they should be able to prove their existence.

This reminds me of my school days, when taking physics and electrical fundamentals. Each teacher who talked about electricity said that the way electricity works is still a theory-not scientific law, since no one can actually see electricity at the sub-atomic level and see how exactly the electrons work and inter-act, and to prove the theory is correct to make it a scientific law. But at the same time, it's just as impossible to prove that theory is wrong. That's about the same with religious views.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/4/2015 7:37:51 PM
If God created this planet and everything on it.
Us, our thinking mind (allowing us to question) and all our inner workings.
Plus everything that is outside of our planet: stars, galaxies etc.

i.e. Life, the universe and everything.

And balanced it so well that it can recover from damage done by people like us.
Plus stunningly beautiful and complex yet simple.

She is a very clever God.

Never doubt Mother Nature.

^^^^^^^^^^^Ohhhhh that is throwing a spanner in the works.
If I have succeeded in offending everyone my work is done. :)
 Blackwood85
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2015 7:43:14 PM

An atheist a vegan and a Crossfitter walk into a bar. I only know because they told everyone within two minutes"
Don't date people who's core values are in conflict with yours

Living in Oregon I find that there's so much truth to this.
 Maleman999
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/4/2015 7:56:42 PM

She is a very clever God.

Do you mean you don't believe in the story that God is a man who sent Adam to Earth-the first human, and Adam was told to remove a rib from his body, and when he did, the rib turned into Eve-the first woman ever created? Doesn't that seem logical to you?
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2015 8:13:50 PM

Once we enter into the light and blend with God, we become God. Light can be divided into parts with each part remaining to be the Whole. Each part is wholly God. We are all a part of the light of God. When merging with the light, we cease to exist as a personality but every bit of our personality is available for reincarnation.

Some people believe this.

Other people believe this, but say that when we "go back" if we are not able to shed somethings about our selves, our attachments and ego and such, we are not ready for that, but the "goal", if we decide we want to aspire to that, it to make ourselves ready through self work in our reincarnations. It's to be about detaching from the self and becoming part of this light of love, creation, what(ever) they believe "it" is.

Some say it's a choice, and some aren't "ready" to make that choice and put their "work" while they are on "the other side" to other purposes.

Others say when we 'go back' we are "infused with G*d's love" in a cocoon-like fashion for whatever amount of time is need to "clean out" all the trama and damage that came from being here. They say that amount of time varies as to how long it takes. Kinda coincides with the thought mentioned before.

Just sayin what some say :)
 Blackwood85
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2015 8:39:03 PM

Atheist: Prove that there is a God.
Christian: Prove that there isn't one.
Atheist: Well according to scientists, the Earth was created billions of years ago after etc...
Christian: Well what created that small rock?
Atheist: Well...that's my proof.
Christian: That's not ample evidence to show that God doesn't exist. If God is an omnipotent being who transcends time, space and created life as we know it then we couldn't he have caused the big bang?
Atheist: Because he doesn't exist! So prove that he does.
Christian: You prove that he doesn't.
Atheist: The burden of proof isn't on me, it's on you.
Christian: No I can't disprove a negative. What the hell do you want me to do anyway? Pull him out of the ****ing sky? Snap my fingers and hope Jesus Christ appears? How do you expect me to prove it?
Atheist: Well prove he doesn't exist.

You can't prove that there is no God and you can't prove that there is one, so the argument is moot.
I'm a Christian but I certainly don't look down on anyone, I respect the views of others and I educate myself on other religions because find the beliefs of others fascinating even if I don't necessarily agree, they all fundamentally share the same ideas. Just because there are some Christians who are hateful and have perverted the word of God doesn't mean all Christians are hateful ***holes. Christians are simply human beings who believe that Jesus Christ is our savior, millions of people find comfort in the word of God and use it to better lives. Their beliefs aren't hurting anyone so leave them the **** alone. I feel the same way about homosexuality and gay marriage, it has nothing to do with any of us so let them be adults and stop insulting their sexuality.

It's common sense don't come at people in a disrespectful manner no matter what they believe as long as they're not hurting others, not in a cult in a racist group, they should be treated with respect. If an Atheist told me that my belief was a "Superstition" and then tried to come at me with an debate, I would tell him to **** off, don't insult me like that.

The other site I'm on (OKC) makes it easier to determine compatibility about religion. Many of the questions are about religion. It's not unusual to see profiles answering they believe in creationism, that it should be taught in schools, and other common Bible Belt beliefs. A few minutes after I created my account there, a seemingly great match viewed me. Saved myself the trouble of messaging her by reading her questions. Her explanation for one of the religion questions said, "I don't want an atheist".

Hell I'm a Christian and I don't date overly religious girls period much less the ones I see on OKC and I've had several messages from so-called Christian women because I mention that I'm a Christian but other than our religion, we have nothing in common in views. I'm a Liberal which conflicts with their usual conservative viewpoints on sex and lifestyle.

Also I belong to a non-Denominational church that tends to come in conflict with other denominations so in regards to Christianity I'm a bit of a non-Traditionalist in that regard and those views are going to conflict with women who take their religious beliefs a lot more serious than I do. I'm not going to waste their time and feign interest in a biblical discussion when I really want to play Destiny.
 wolftxusa66
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2015 9:01:35 PM
I prefer when she screams "Oh my god!" when she comes. "Oh set of laws of physics!" doesn't send me over the edge.

Carry on...
 mishBishFish
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2015 9:03:24 PM
I don't have a problem with different belief systems. Christian, Buddhist, Atheist, etc. I'm usually curious about ideas and teachings. I'm not religious but do find religious ideas interesting and most religions contain concepts that are well worth learning about. I do have a problem with dogmatic people that try to shove their beliefs or opinions down my throat. And the OP seems to be one of those that feels the need to shove his opinions down others throats.
 Howdy_From_Harry
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2015 9:40:56 PM
In my profile, I mention my Christian faith and say we would not be a match if they weren't Christian also. I figure that's my right, that's my belief, and it is as valid as a non-believer not wanting to date a Christian. I'm 58, so I figure I'm old enough to live like I want to. I also know what's important to me to share.

One thing I want to comment on is talking about tolerance and "shoving stuff down our throat." What is being shoved down by whom I wonder? Two of the biggest political issues or at least most talked about these days are homosexuality and abortion. I remember when abortion was illegal as it had been for hundreds/thousands of years. Who shoved what down whose throat? Twenty years ago "don't ask, don't tell" was military protocol. Now the law says children born male can go in female bathrooms and vice-versa. Who shoved what down whose throat?

I wonder why we're not tolerant towards adultery. There are people in this world who hurt the one they are legally bound to by cheating on them. They may say they have unmet needs. I know a guy who cheated while his wife was in the hospital for over their week with their sick baby. Should I be happy he got his needs met? If I should be happy for him, should I be sad for his wife whose trust was betrayed?

I wonder why we're not tolerant towards child sexual abuse. I know a man who abused a 5 year old IN CHURCH and defended himself by saying the child "never objected and never said no!" Should I be tolerant of that? According to court decisions, I should be tolerant of a 5 year old boy who says "I should have been born a girl." Why not the abuser? How far does tolerance go? Those of you who are against capital punishment, would you be tolerant if I had shot that child abuser on the spot?

Get real folks. Stop shoving tolerance down everyone's throat!
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/4/2015 11:25:30 PM
"Two of the biggest political issues or at least most talked about these days are homosexuality and abortion."

Exactly. Because of religion, which has been "shoved down our throats" for way too long.
 daynadaze
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2015 1:43:40 AM
Abortion used to be legal, even among the religious. As to the proof/can't prove, I was asking another poster if that was what they were referring to. There have certainly been times in history when homosexuality was acceptable.
 Walts
Msg: 64
Posted: 1/5/2015 3:36:43 AM

I'm obviously curious, since I clearly asked for other opinions and experiences

Hate going word for word but, here we go.

I'm curious see what the general opinion of the board is on this topic. I get the feeling that this plays a part in many religious people not wanting to get into relationship with, or even talk to, atheists they otherwise find attractive.

WHAT is "this" that you speak of that plays a part in "religious people" not wanting relationship or ever talk to "atheists"? You haven't defined, at all, what "this" actually is, have you?

Also, I worded my posts exactly as I chose to. There was no predetermined template, so I made no errors.

Well, actually, I do believe you never really articulated what you really want to know. If you are actually looking for a conversation, or opinions, by default, your choice of wording is full of errors. So, what I'm asking, is what are you asking? Are you basically asking why some people that believe in something don't want to date people that don't believe the same thing? Or is it the "religion" thing, itself ? Is it the belief, or is the something? Is it the believers, or is it the non-believers?
Now, OT(I think) I'm not one that "believes" in certain religious "things". Has nothing to do with the "believers" themselves, because, I actually believe everyone needs something to have "faith" in. It's up to each person to decide what that "something" is. As long as that "thing" that doesn't harm or hurt others, and that "thing" doesn't create more negativity amongst those that have something else that they believe in, it's no skin off my bum.
It seems that someone just wants to point at something/someone for the reason why they don't get dates with others? Many here complain about the whiny "good guy" posts. I would place this one in the same category. Blame something/someone for the lack of dating success???? Blame the "religious people" that supposedly eliminate the "atheist" from their individual dating pool because of the individual beliefs of the individual? Why not blame the "atheist"?
 petula1908
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/5/2015 3:39:43 AM
you are tall and quite good looking, nevertheless you wont have huge options on dating sites and yes your attitude will narrow your chances, but you already know that. Being intolerant and narrow minded are not great qualities.
 petula1908
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/5/2015 3:42:52 AM
wolftxusa66

You made me laugh, thanks for that. OMG!!!
 cooldog65
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2015 3:46:59 AM

I prefer when she screams "Oh my god!" when she comes.

I prefer the "second coming"...
 Ainen
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/5/2015 6:04:37 AM

In my profile, I mention my Christian faith and say we would not be a match if they weren't Christian also. I figure that's my right, that's my belief, and it is as valid as a non-believer not wanting to date a Christian.

True. As with the OP, your wording communicates well.

I doubt any non-Christians have messaged you trying to convert you to atheism or to their other religion the way some Christian recruiters message non-religious people, just as I doubt atheists have knocked on your door or left atheist flyers the way many Christians bombard people with visits to doors and Christian LITTER-ature.

Two of the biggest political issues or at least most talked about these days are homosexuality and abortion.

Many Bible-thumping evangelists (Pat Robertson) were gung-ho about 9-11, saying it was "God's will" to punish the USA for being too tolerant of homosexuality and abortion.

I wonder why we're not tolerant towards adultery.

According to the Bible, Jesus was. He came upon a group of people who were about to throw stones at a woman for committing adultery. He said, "Let he who has committed no sin throw the first stone". Christians play that "we are all sinners" card on a regular basis, saying everybody else is a sinner and that they shouldn't judge or intervene. Jesus was also good friends with a whore and Christians named her a saint.

I wonder why we're not tolerant towards child sexual abuse. I know a man who abused a 5 year old IN CHURCH ... Those of you who are against capital punishment, would you be tolerant if I had shot that child abuser on the spot?

Not surprised the pedophile abused the kid in church, given the high rate of pedophilia by Judeo-Christians. Killing the pedophile would be the best action, but most people are overly tolerant towards pedophiles. The Pope asks people to forgive pedophilic priests. People rationalize that pedophiles will get their punishment: some people imagine the abusers will burn in hell, while others imagine they'll be treated roughly in prison by other prisoners. Christians don't judge the pedophiles because "only God can judge". Even if they give a pedo the death penalty, a priest will be there just before the execution to save his soul, and in their minds, if he accepts Christ, he gets to go to Heaven and enjoy the same afterlife as people who didn't commit any crimes.
 XTC1977
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/5/2015 7:20:31 AM
Walts, I wasn't bringing this topic up because I can't get dates on these dating sites because of the Christian majority. I've been on my share of dates, but never with a devout Christian. What I have learned is that it seems to work out better if I let atheists and agnostics that aren't bothered by my opinionated take on the subject contact me first. (Another interesting thing I discovered is that atheists and agnostics seem to get sardonic humor instantly, and often welcome it, while it will often lead to Christians ending conversations forever as soon as they detect its presence. )

This topic, as much as anything else, is a way that I like to play with problems and work them out using others input. If my points danced around, well, that was the point. There really isn't anything more to it than that. I'm certainly not naive to being in the minority and all that comes with that.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/5/2015 7:25:08 AM
superman? is that you?
 XTC1977
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/5/2015 7:28:45 AM
Yes, I actually am Superman. I had some Kryptonite stuffed in my boxers so I had to join this dating site till I can regain my "powers."
 LittleLadyMaxine
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/5/2015 7:49:25 AM
A few thoughts:

- Whether two people are compatible or not depends greatly on the extent they are easy-going, regardless of religious beliefs... if everybody had the same attitude as kj521, Msg: 2, there would be no need for this thread.

- Something is only a superstition until a day comes when you find out that it's true.

- Some people change their beliefs or religion when they fall in love.

- As for me, I just want peace.

- I don't know about this whole Bigfoot business... I always keep my eyes peeled when I am outdoors, but I haven't seen one yeti!

-----------Gary and Marie
 XTC1977
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/5/2015 7:54:42 AM
It does make one wonder. I'm sure there is some devout couple out there (one an atheist, the other a Christian, most likely) that are defying the odds. Sure, it probably boils down to the money and or the sex being too damn good to risk ruining a good thing, but someone has to be pulling this off somewhere.
 Debisue64
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2015 8:01:54 AM
I met a guy once ... who was a "devout" christian. He said he usually ONLY used a christian site for online dating.

He then told me his last g/f.. who he met on said christian site moved into his home within a month.. and they broke up when he found that the "sinner" was hiding beer in his fridge.

ugh.. ohhhhh the hypocrisy of it all
 CTRLvector
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/5/2015 8:09:24 AM
I whip my agnosticism out and say - Yeah that's cool.

But wanna know what else is cool?

Stuff and things

I mean to attempt to argue the god out of someone - I mean noble as it may be, its not going to change them. And for someone to argue god into you? Yeah, that's a really tough sell too.

I just choose my battles, and that aint one.

And if they're all like

Naw but God said this

Id be like, what are the chances god will have us do each other on the first night?

She thinks im crazy, i just hate to argue about something that cant be argued...Im already dressed up, on to the local scene

edit: Or you could be a sci-fi writer and write a religion into existence and people would be stupid enough to buy into it. Literally buy into it
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships