Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Olympian2121
Msg: 76
Atheism, dating and relationshipsPage 4 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
THe only reason religious people aren't classified as insane is because so many are afflicted with it, that most of the world pretends to go with it because those insane people can control votes, and give their money to charities.

If some insane god believers were giving me a lot of money, id act crazy too.
 calguy14
Msg: 77
Atheism, dating and relationships
Posted: 1/5/2015 8:42:58 AM
JCA there is a lot of bigotry in this thread...but that's OK,its everywhere.

Man I feel sorry for all the unhappy people here....fack. :)
 WhoamI_46
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/5/2015 8:48:05 AM
I was raised Catholic. I was not born Catholic. I was raised to believe in these beliefs of my parents because that is what they were raised to believe. All the time growing up, nothing ever sat right with me. I was always questioning everything(albeit not always outloud as that would send me to hell!)
I married Catholic and that was the most ****** up relationship for me. After I saved myself from this hell I was living in, I decided to be true to myself. I raised my kids to find their own spirituality.
I do not believe in God. And I am not ashamed to admit this. I do believe that we are all here to live our lives as best we see fit. It was getting tiring having to watch everything and do everything because of the end results.
I personally could not date someone that had religious beliefs as it just would not work. I can respect anyone for their beliefs, but if I want to build a partnership with someone, why would I want someone who thinks completely opposite of myself. It just wouldn't work.

Joining this site, I am actually amazed that there are more non-religious people than I thought there would be. But that is just one aspect of finding a partner, there are so many other "beliefs and wants" that make the search tough.

Do what is best for you. Stay true to yourself and search out those of similar beliefs and wants. They are out there.
 spot4username
Msg: 79
Posted: 1/5/2015 1:55:34 PM
I realize the OP is no longer here.

This is a topic that has caused me plenty of grief during my OLD years. I am clear about my lack of belief. I honestly don't have any interest in a theist. As I get older I find that I have less and less tolerance for religious folk. This does not stop theists from sending me unbelievably rude, mean, and sometimes threatening messages. /shrug/ Report and block.

My pickings are already slim at my age and living in a small town. I am surrounded by theists in my area and they are loud and proud. Meh. I don't care to hear it. I'm not knocking on their doors in the wee hours of the morning trying to badger them into having a discussion about physics or shoving a summary of A Brief History of Time in their faces. I am also not walking about town cornering those who I know to be believers and busting their chops. I have slowly eliminated those people from my life. Keep it to yourself and I will do the same please and thank you.

\/\/\/ Everything that guy said. Of course if I actually said it around these parts I would be blackballed.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2015 2:10:08 PM
I just don't have friends or colleagues who give two hoots about religion...it's like this in most of the western world outside of the USA.

Respectful? No best just to not express an opinion when in the USA. I'm not respectful of a religion that worships a dead guy on a stick and preaches that those who don't are going to be BBQ'd over hot coals on Satan's pitchfork for eternity...they even teach that perversion to children.

The Christian god is one sick narcissistic psychopath and doesn't get my respect.

24 hours a day broadcasting this crap on American radio stations & TV...and. Christians complain about atheists pushing their views? Too funny.

Fortunately most rational people who call themselves 'Christian' today do it by default to fill in a blank. It's more 'meh', whatever. Very apparent at Christmas...no more acceptance of a god raping a virgin or immaculate conception birth...or then of Zombie Jesus rising from the dead at Easter. Sad some still teach these perversions to children.

Bottom line is that here in the Vancouver area...few really think about it. Atheist, Christian, agnostic...just doesn't come up when some guy or gal are attracted to each other. Less of a conflict than Rock or Country music.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 81
Posted: 1/5/2015 3:00:41 PM

I'm not respectful of a religion that worships a dead guy on a stick

Priceless.

I try to look at the world and everything in it as if I were a visitor from another galaxy seeing it all for the first time. I've done this since I was a child. I don't know where I got the idea. It makes it so much easier to see through the smoke and mirrors, the brainwashing by the church, the government in all its forms including the schools, the media, society at large. Madalyn Murray O'Hair was probably my first hero; she got the bible, at least, out of the public/government school system. I couldn't stand that bible verse reading every morning in public school.

Yeah, nothing logical about worshipping dead guys on sticks or anything else having to do with religion. Belief in the supernatural is not conducive to living life mindfully. It fosters bad decision-making.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 82
Posted: 1/5/2015 3:10:50 PM
Msg. 69:
I remember when abortion was illegal as it had been for hundreds/thousands of years.

Really? To what hundreds/thousands year old law are you referring? Are you familiar with medical as well as legal history at all? Or are you referring to the death penalty wire hanger method? No…black cohosh deemed “witchcraft” kind of illegal? Amiright?

Why should abortion be illegal, do you think? How does abortion affect you? Yet in the same breath you advocate capital punishment. SMH

As far as capital punishment…what does that accomplish for you, besides vengeance?

So sick of sanctimonious hypocrisy.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2015 3:17:32 PM
if he accepts Christ, he gets to go to Heaven and enjoy the same afterlife as people who didn't commit any crimes.

Maybe, but I do believe most people, including Christians, believe that like life here, you reap what you've sown. You might be in "the other side" but what you "live" there isn't equal. I may not be understanding correctly, but I believe that even in the bible it states a degree of closeness to G*d (or whatever want to call that center source) is relevant to how "close" you actually are to G*d. Correct me if I'm wrong.

All the time growing up, nothing ever sat right with me

Me too, but mostly the concept of one 'person' being G*d. I think that there must be more to it than that. I do believe Jesus was here and was a really cool guy. I absolutely, hands down, believe in the Holy Spirit. Yes, they are all supposed to be the same thing, but how presented, perhaps, affects me differently. Who knows. That's why I'd probably fit in the agnostic category. I do know for certain (within myself (from my experiences) that there is more than this we are living.

Belief in the supernatural is not conducive to living life mindfully. It fosters bad decision-making.

Scratches head. Huh?

According to the Bible, Jesus was. He came upon a group of people who were about to throw stones at a woman for committing adultery. He said, "Let he who has committed no sin throw the first stone". Christians play that "we are all sinners" card on a regular basis, saying everybody else is a sinner and that they shouldn't judge or intervene. Jesus was also good friends with a whore and Christians named her a saint.

Exactly (except the intervene part). That's why many people think Jesus was kinda cool (guy on the stick worshiping).

Consider this. Men wrote the old testament about G*d. There was lots of problems with it. G*d was shaking his head going "no, no ... jeez...these people make me look like a monster". In comes Jesus. You can't rewrite the books, but lets show another side and let it be known this is really one person. It could happen.

Or you could be a sci-fi writer and write a religion into existence and people would be stupid enough to buy into it. Literally buy into it

The same could be said for ANY religious book. The goal, perhaps, it to find what 'feels' right to you (or not).

I confounds me that anyone would ever take an religious material as a holy be-all-to-end-all book. Men (and women) wrote it. Human men and women. We always have and always will seek to know "the truth" or to understand. That would have to apply to the people who write as well as who read? Why some will bring up or mock words in a book they don't believe is beyond me. I would venture to say that most people understand things such as time, human frailty, writing "what you know (or think you know) at the time. In arguing against the Bible or other religious material implies that you believe others believe it's perfect? What does that say about the person "fighting" the exact words of something most think is not perfect? The same goes with citing what a human who calls himself a certain religion does wrong as a reflection on the 'religion' as a whole. Everyone knows this not to be true, so how does it make you look to 'fight' something that others already see as common sense?

I tend to think along the lines of this video, but still have issues of G*d as one "person". It's "feels" easier for me to think of 'him' or 'it' as a 'source'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYEFkYtANVg

comment to below: and in some dangerous ways. At one point women drank mercury for that reason.

VolkanoKing
Msg: 84
Posted: 1/5/2015 3:17:37 PM
Abortion was legal in this country until about 1880, when it was all but banned in order to ensure white women kept breeding..this was when eugenics was all the rage..fear of race inferiority, and all that.

With the passage of Roe Vs Wade, 90 years of death by illegal abortions was finally eradicated.

Women have been practicing abortion since the beginning of time. No law and no man (or woman for that matter) will ever stop women from deciding their own reproductive fate.

http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/health-info/u-s-abortion-history/
 CathyP726
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2015 4:24:12 PM
No where in the bible does it say that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. Just saying.
 daynadaze
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2015 4:47:00 PM
I don't believe in gods, nor sons of gods, nor virgin births by gods with humans. I didn't come by this through hate or anger, I started studying about it when I was in jr high, and as an adult studied with pastors and went to churches and read the Bible both as a young teen and an adult. I no more believe in gods of myths than I do in a god of the Bible. I didn't just think one day that I'd be an atheist, I studied & researched my way to this outcome.

I don't need a life after this one, in fact that would annoy the heck out of me, please, let there be nothing at all after death. I'm not greedy, I don't think I deserve a paradise after death, I haven't earned anything special just because I was born, lived, then died. I know I am totally responsible for my own actions, I also know I was effected by things that happened to me that I had no control over. I know that if you believe in something, turn your life over to it, then you don't go around doing the same sins then get a reprieve over and over again, not from people and not from any gods, you did it, you own it, hopefully you do better next time. No devil is making you do it and no god is saving you from it, you make the choices. I do not need to believe in gods or heavens or hells to be moral and I don't make mistakes because I'm an imperfect human, I am human, I am not a god and I don't strive to be a god, I strive to be moral because it is the best way for me. It is the best way for a society to function properly, it is not okay to harm others for my greedy needs. I also do not believe that being gay or different color makes one another race or makes one deviant, I think sexual use of children is what people should be preventing.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 89
Posted: 1/5/2015 4:49:13 PM
Most everything is better on a stick - marshmallows, weiners, chicken.
If this is about Atheists dating how did it morph ?
I worship at the altar of materialism. :0 If having a god/gods/no gods makes you happy why try to make others idk unhappy?
 Walts
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/5/2015 4:51:50 PM
The OP has left, because he accomplished what he wanted. A shiat storm of exposure of intolerance. I actually believe he wanted to expose how quickly many would jump in and express their "beliefs" or "disbelief", with religion and "some" of the people that "believe". I'm sure we have all experienced "extremists" in almost everything out there.

What we eat. Why and how we gain "faith". How we express our sexuality. And with whom. I could go on and on.

He trolled, and many have taken a chomp.

"Differences" in our beliefs, how does that effect our potential relationships? Would that have been better instead of isolating the easy pickings of "religion" and some of the followers of some of the "religions" out there??????? I've met non-believers that are morons. I've also met some believers that fit the same description. Moronic behaviour knows no bounds.
 activemelaney
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Atheism, dating and relationshipsuite
Posted: 1/5/2015 4:52:40 PM
^^^cathy
God just murdered everyone regardless if prostitute or not. His extreme passive-aggressive need for control makes Hitler look like a sweet old grandma: love me or I'll kill your children in a flood, plague, earthquake, drought, famine. Wow. Talk about anger management issues. Accept Jesus? I'd prefer a male who stood up to this brute and told him to stop with the pestilence or go F himself.
 Debisue64
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2015 5:04:11 PM
religion is like politics.. no diff

My religious history will not make anyone happy .. so i do not say it. I prefer to stay "gray".. happy where I am.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2015 5:09:01 PM
I don't need a life after this one, in fact that would annoy the heck out of me, please, let there be nothing at all after death. I'm not greedy, I don't think I deserve a paradise after death, I haven't earned anything special just because I was born, lived, then died. I know I am totally responsible for my own actions, I also know I was effected by things that happened to me that I had no control over. I know that if you believe in something, turn your life over to it, then you don't go around doing the same sins then get a reprieve over and over again, not from people and not from any gods, you did it, you own it, hopefully you do better next time. No devil is making you do it and no god is saving you from it, you make the choices. I do not need to believe in gods or heavens or hells to be moral and I don't make mistakes because I'm an imperfect human, I am human, I am not a god and I don't strive to be a god, I strive to be moral because it is the best way for me. It is the best way for a society to function properly, it is not okay to harm others for my greedy needs. I also do not believe that being gay or different color makes one another race or makes one deviant, I think sexual use of children is what people should be preventing.

Love this, and agree with everything except I do believe there is more after this. I don't think it's a paradise, though (maybe just for a renewal break). I believe we will continue to exist in other forms and this could be one of them. I do hope it won't be as "bad" as this life can be if there is more, but there's good in this life too. If it's the end of it, so be it, but I live what I feel (spiritually) as often as it occurs here. I could never deny, and loose, what I feel are the most awesome connections ever coming from spirituality.

I derailed, yes, sorry, end of comments. It's just difficult for me to see so much black and white thinking. I don't understand the blocks from both sides or where the hate comes from mocking on either side.

On topic, I think the most difficult thing about dating an atheist would be that they would be close minded about my views .. just as I'm sure an atheist would be feeling about dating someone 'hardcore religious'. That, and you can go to awesome places with someone else who is in touch or open spiritually (even if they don't know they are "open"), even if it's just for a couple seconds. That being so good, I wouldn't want to date someone who was completely shut off from that possibility.

It would be equally as difficult to be with someone who believed all of the writting about G*d and/or the afterlife are 100% true and take them literally, or at least one of the various translations of the literature.

I like people with the "the more I learn, the less I know" and "the more I experience, the less I judge" and "the more I love, the less it matters" mindset.

It's funny to me when "I" feel a spiritual recognition of someone who doesn't believe. I can imagine that scene on the next go round ... varying from "OK, wow, I was off on this one. So what's the plan here now?" to "Are you F'ing kidding me?" Damn. Kicks something on the ground. Of course, this could be "heaven".
 Maleman999
Msg: 94
Posted: 1/5/2015 7:23:26 PM
If there is any such thing as an afterlife, I hope the pets I've had in the past are there waiting for me. It would be a bummer if there was a separate heaven for animals. I would be pissed. But I would think dating would be a lot easier in heaven. A guy could fly around looking for women, and he wouldn't have to dress to impress. There would be no coffee shop interviews.
 CathyP726
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2015 7:43:04 PM
Activemelaney, I tend to agree but you must know that the bible has a whole cultural, philosophical and historical context that can be meaningful to people. I can't understand fundamenalism for that reason.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 96
Posted: 1/5/2015 7:43:57 PM
God just murdered everyone regardless if prostitute or not. His extreme passive-aggressive need for control makes Hitler look like a sweet old grandma: love me or I'll kill your children in a flood, plague, earthquake, drought, famine.

Yeah hes got some poor impulse control, and what's up with the low blows to 3rd world countries? How about the people that never knew him? Or could have known about him, but died because they were left ignorant. Missed the boat though. because they didn't get the message.

Or people like me who exist on the world, and would love to think about something like a win/win. If I could believe I was going to heaven, then when I die I don't have to worry about death. And when death turns out to be nothing, I wont have to worry about being upset, because ill be dead.

What was it, go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company?
mark twain
 aj7125
Msg: 97
Posted: 1/5/2015 8:05:01 PM
"The OP has left, because he accomplished what he wanted. A shiat storm of exposure of intolerance. I actually believe he wanted to expose how quickly many would jump in and express their "beliefs" or "disbelief", with religion and "some" of the people that "believe". I'm sure we have all experienced "extremists" in almost everything out there.

What we eat. Why and how we gain "faith". How we express our sexuality. And with whom. I could go on and on.

He trolled, and many have taken a chomp.

"Differences" in our beliefs, how does that effect our potential relationships? Would that have been better instead of isolating the easy pickings of "religion" and some of the followers of some of the "religions" out there??????? I've met non-believers that are morons. I've also met some believers that fit the same description. Moronic behaviour knows no bounds."
________________________________________________________________________________

^^^^^From Walts, best post in this thread!

Well Walts, you did have another that hit it right on the head!...."Well, actually, I do believe you never really articulated what you really want to know. If you are actually looking for a conversation, or opinions, by default, your choice of wording is full of errors. So, what I'm asking, is what are you asking? Are you basically asking why some people that believe in something don't want to date people that don't believe the same thing? Or is it the "religion" thing, itself ? Is it the belief, or is the something? Is it the believers, or is it the non-believers?
Now, OT(I think) I'm not one that "believes" in certain religious "things". Has nothing to do with the "believers" themselves, because, I actually believe everyone needs something to have "faith" in. It's up to each person to decide what that "something" is. As long as that "thing" that doesn't harm or hurt others, and that "thing" doesn't create more negativity amongst those that have something else that they believe in, it's no skin off my bum.
It seems that someone just wants to point at something/someone for the reason why they don't get dates with others? Many here complain about the whiny "good guy" posts. I would place this one in the same category. Blame something/someone for the lack of dating success???? Blame the "religious people" that supposedly eliminate the "atheist" from their individual dating pool because of the individual beliefs of the individual? Why not blame the "atheist"?"
 CTRLvector
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/5/2015 8:30:26 PM
An atheist is an antagonist, they will argue they have definitive proof that the concept of god is false. . .

Like say - A hilariously written parallel to what we now consider mythology. I guess civilizations version of god(s), heaven and hell was a little more storytelling and at least a good read. And the gods would have sex with you, imagine that? Imagine how awesome that would be.

Religion was/is a dumper of non-fact junk science. Where fiction stands to hold truth, value, and profit for those involved. But not really much else except blind faith. And those who practiced early science were considered heretics of religion.

And when you're dealing with humanity, its hard to be original. It is tough to learn to write creatively. Nobody guessed that we are all made of exploded star dust. Nobody would have guessed that everything came from basically nothing.

Because the problem with god and existence is, how does god create himself? He just build himself out of legos?

That's typically the argument
 calguy14
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/5/2015 9:47:19 PM
For a laugh people can google famous aetheists.Wiki.By politics off the top of my head....Lenin,Mao,Marx,Mussolini,Stalin and Pol Pot.Hitler isn't listed .....which ones would do well on pof?

@volcanoking
So abortion was banned right about the time the army quit shooting Indians on the great plains.Maybe it was just a general movement....of some sort?

@sciencetrekker

I see you continue to bash Christianity at every opportunity behind the facade of being Jewish.Why does an East Indian that goes for temple brunches in north east Calgary claim to be a Jewish guy in Van?

I see you're still getting off running that activemelaney puppet. doesn't that feel strange?
 CTRLvector
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/5/2015 11:17:31 PM
Lenin,Mao,Marx,Mussolini,Stalin and Pol Pot.Hitler isn't listed .

Hitler ran the first anti-smoking campaign, way ahead of time.

You want to know a scary question?
What happens to society if Hitler comes to power again. Through time travel ww2 nazi weapon

What good writer wasn't/isn't an atheist?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships