Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 101
Atheism, dating and relationshipsPage 5 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

I'm curious see what the general opinion of the board is on this topic. I get the feeling that this plays a part in many religious people not wanting to get into relationship with, or even talk to, atheists they otherwise find attractive. I'm not sure that I'd want to be in a relationship with someone that still believed in that superstition, but it does seem to narrow the dating pool and make it much harder to meet people.

If you think that anyone who is theistic on any level is not worthy of building a relationship with -- then you Want a narrow dating pool. Also -- someone can be theistic but non-religious. Theistic is just a belief that a god or gods exist in some sort of way or form. No different than believing that there's multiple universes with a lack of evidence to prove it (but having a belief that it does likely operate that way).

People can also be atheistic and religious -- going to church, seeing things from a metaphorical point of view but not Actually True as their pastor and most members do to varying degrees -- but instead going thru the motions because they're used to it, like it and its social aspects, is tradition to them -- and just see it as a traditional flow of things. Much like many non-religious people celebrating Christmas with the tree, decor, etc. They don't Actually Believe in Santa -- or that some Jew named Jesus who was executed was actually born of a virgin who got knocked up by God, as those aren't even original concepts in religions (they've been there, done that before and after Xianity). But instead just enjoy the Holidays. People can still go thru the motions but still not have any convictions of said things being Real.

There's another popular free site where there's a higher # of atheistic/agnostic people than POF. Probably have better luck there. Has more hip/modern folk on there.... where POF, although the biggest site has every type of person, it's riddled with single moms and trailer-park gals where there'll be more religious types.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 102
Atheism, dating and relationshipsuite
Posted: 1/6/2015 12:20:56 AM
By politics off the top of my head....Lenin,Mao,Marx,Mussolini,Stalin and Pol Pot.Hitler isn't listed .....which ones would do well on pof?

Hitler wasn't an atheist. He was a Christian -- although he warped it, like many other things, in his own "way" over time. Many people thought he was of course kooky, but went more insane. But all that's a whole other story -- point being, no, he was not an atheist.

An atheist is an antagonist, they will argue they have definitive proof that the concept of god is false. . .

No, that's not true. You're talking about what's called a "strong atheist".

Atheist = A-theist = Not Theist. It doesn't mean Anti-Theist.
Abacterial = A-bacterial = Not Bacterial. It doesn't mean Anti-Bacterial.

Theists have the burden of proof, to prove that God exists; not the other way around.

"Weak Atheists" merely don't believe in a God; insufficient proof that's on the burden of those purporting it's existence. Could be true -- but they can't hold the belief that it Does.

"Strong Atheists" hold a belief that God does NOT exist. They just aren't lacking the belief that it does -- they make the Assertion that God does Not exist.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 103
Posted: 1/6/2015 3:09:50 AM
Einstein was a theist - I can half remember him relating that question to a metaphor. The existence of God is impossible to speculate with the little we know. It would be like a young child following into a grand library that was written in many languages that we couldn't hope to understand as children of the universe.

huh, yeah didn't know there was a divide in atheist or sub group or whatever... cool

But yeah he preferred the agnostic title for the arguing. But ill never argue the existence of it, ill just make fun of it for similarities

I just figured agnostic = Just a no argument, just general disinterest in arguing.
In the military if you say agnostic the saying NO RELIG PREF. And I felt kinda
upset because it also said A POS so I was a pos with no religion -

bo burnham - from gods perspective - is pretty awesome
 calguy14
Msg: 104
Posted: 1/6/2015 3:49:18 AM
Google Religious views of Hitler.Goebbels wrote in 1941 that Hitler hated Christianity.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 105
Posted: 1/6/2015 7:16:34 AM
Does it matter if Hitler hated Christianity? I mean really? We could go through a whole list of those that killed in the name of their god or that killed in the name of Christianity or were Christian and killers. What is the point. The point is I'm an atheist and I get along with everyone of any religion...until I, or someone else, tries to shove it down the proverbial throat. And yes, I think a believer and a non-believer can get along in a relationship....what, our whole life is spent discussing god/lack of god??? I don't think so. I don't respect anybody less because they have faith or not - I take everyone at face value. That's what adult do.
 calguy14
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/6/2015 8:20:33 AM
^^^^@bluemoon
Of course.I never ask.

Some people in this thread certainly don't waste any time calling Christians a slew of derogatory names....makes you wonder what they're really like in person blue moon.That one man is a despicable character who practices his own religion while hiding behind the aetheist facade to continually poke barbs at Christians.I could tell you more in a pm.
 calguy14
Msg: 107
Posted: 1/6/2015 8:21:05 AM
Double post
 cooldog65
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2015 9:20:02 AM
calguy14...

I see you're still getting off running that activemelaney puppet. doesn't that feel strange?

Am I missing something here? I don't get it.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 109
Posted: 1/6/2015 9:48:16 AM
Einstein:

He said he believed in the "pantheistic" God of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god, a belief he criticized. He also called himself an agnostic, while disassociating himself from the label atheist, preferring, he said, "an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."

The classical agnostic = atheist. If you don't know or believe you Cannot Know -- hence, not holding a belief of Yay or Nay -- you don't hold the believe that there IS a God. Which means you're not theist. That's all atheistic means -- just Merely not a theist.

The pantheistic view -- that the Universe itself is "god" -- that's where things get tricky. Falls in line with Eastern religions -- there isn't really any "god" per se, but the universe itself, nature itself is what could be considered "god".

There's not any "groups" of atheists, really. Atheism is such a generic term, that the term "strong atheist" is applied to what fits the Street Definition of "atheist". Most people who are atheist are agnostic and/or not strong atheist.

I just figured agnostic = Just a no argument, just general disinterest in arguing.

It's actually a set belief by Thomas Huxley. A belief that one Cannot Know if there is or isn't a god. I guess the more accepted definition is just merely "I don't know if there is one", not necessarily a belief that a human being Cannot Know.

If someone asks me if I someone was snooping around the convenient store last night and I say "Gee, I don't know" -- I am lacking a belief that a person in fact Was. I'm agnostic about the situation. But I'm still lacking it.

A-theism is a modified word of theism. It just means "without" theism. That's it. It could be due to being agnostic... or even so far as some belief that a God as defined by our culture Cannot Exist.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 110
Posted: 1/6/2015 10:00:02 AM

Am I missing something here? I don't get it.

I'm thinking Calguy was referring to this little gem of a post by Activemelaney, which I happen to agree with Calguy is a little bit over the friggin top....even for an atheist like myself. There is opinion and then there is straight hate without a hint of intelligent commentary or discussion as shown below.

God just murdered everyone regardless if prostitute or not. His extreme passive-aggressive need for control makes Hitler look like a sweet old grandma: love me or I'll kill your children in a flood, plague, earthquake, drought, famine. Wow. Talk about anger management issues. Accept Jesus? I'd prefer a male who stood up to this brute and told him to stop with the pestilence or go F himself.
 Cognoscenti214
Msg: 111
Posted: 1/6/2015 12:58:57 PM

Google Religious views of Hitler.Goebbels wrote in 1941 that Hitler hated Christianity.

How bout you get a clue and just read what Hitler himself said?

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people."

I'm not sure why Christians are so willing to lie about history and historical people. It shows a lack of honesty and character. The jewish god that christians appropriated is a schizophrenic, misogynistic, murderous, incompetent boob. Pity that his sycophants reflect so many of his values.
 overunity
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2015 1:32:00 PM
^^^
They lie because their superstition(s) demand it. And if you lie over and over again, it become "gospel".
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2015 2:42:45 PM
^^
True. It is weird that in 2014 some still accept fairy tales that are more bizarre than Loony Tunes cartoons.

Fortunately many see Santa Claus and his elves as better role models for their children than God and his alter egos...Jesus and the Holy Ghost. Piss off Santa and no toys but piss off Jesus and he's sending a text to Satan.
 calguy14
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/6/2015 3:05:30 PM
@cognoscenti
And how about you quote the year he wrote that?Is that in Mein Kampf I suppose?Saw a signed copy BTW back in the 80's.What he wrote before he seized power and what he revealed of his true self once he was firmly in power were different versions weren't they?Or did you choose to ignore that?Who could suffer through all the drivel that guy spouted?Did you?

Do you even know what Hitler did to his own people that resisted?Hitler had nothing to do with Christianity.

And yes it is from Mein Kampf.I guess you've never seen bait and switch in all your years.Try not being so dishonest in your daily life,you might feel better.

As for trekker above,I wonder,what is it that they do in those temples he attends?Plot the destruction of the west?Pretty sure that place is wired for sound trekker.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2015 3:23:02 PM
Makes sense to hear Jesus and Hitler in the same sentence. Gold and silver medals in the megalomania Olympics.

Murder total

Jesus and his alter egos.....28 million ...source Bible..excludes the Flood.
Hitler.......20 million (depending on definition)
Ted Bundy....16

In contrast Satan.....2 (yes only 2)...source the Bible
 Maleman999
Msg: 116
Posted: 1/6/2015 3:39:01 PM
The weird part about Hitler is he was able to get a girlfriend-who stuck with him through thick and thin right to the very end. And a lot of guys here can't even get a response when sending an introductory note to a woman. Too bad Hitler never made notes on how guys can pick up women, even if a guy is responsible for millions of deaths.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 117
Posted: 1/6/2015 3:47:10 PM

The weird part about Hitler is he was able to get a girlfriend-who stuck with him through thick and thin right to the very end. And a lot of guys here can't even get a response when sending an introductory note to a woman. Too bad Hitler never made notes on how guys can pick up women, even if a guy is responsible for millions of deaths.

Women love powerful men ... or maybe it was the mustache.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 118
Posted: 1/6/2015 3:48:06 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/11165627/Adolf-Hitler-sex-life-Eva-Braun.html
 calguy14
Msg: 119
Posted: 1/6/2015 4:40:35 PM
Well there you go vk,when an aetheist wants a girl he finds one from a convent lol.

How about Stalin DB,he had a moustache.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/6/2015 4:46:46 PM

Einstein was a theist - I can half remember him relating that question to a metaphor. The existence of God is impossible to speculate with the little we know. It would be like a young child following into a grand library that was written in many languages that we couldn't hope to understand as children of the universe.

He believed a god created everything. He just also believed that he had complete free will, that a god wasn't controlling every aspect of his life. It's like in the newest Rambo movie, 90 minutes of nonstop killing, when the girl was talking about how God saved her, and Rambo was just like "God didn't save you. I did." His line was something about God making the garden, but not being the one to lead him through it.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2015 4:47:34 PM
So the debate has now devolved into "Our evil dictator was less evil than your evil dictator."

A thing being bad is bad because it's bad, Hitler owned a dog, Hitler loved dogs so now liking dogs must be bad because Hitler is evil and evil people must have a way to tell if something is evil. It's stupid.

Hitler was raised Roman Catholic but by all accounts according to diaries and those bewho closest to him he really had no attachment to the church and wanted to lower the influence Christianity had in German, he hated Roman Catholics and really was closer to being an agnostic or Atheist who believed Christianity crippled nobility in humanity. He and Stalin were both rationalist in Mein Kampf, he shares nihilistic and Darwinist views of the weak and the strong and wanted separation of Church and State. His hatred of Jews had nothing to do with Christianity. Hitler surrounded himself with anti-Church radicals such as Himmler and Goebbles and he came into conflict with the Roman Catholics constantly with his anti-church agenda. That's not counting the number of Christians who opposed the concentration camps, Hitler's antisemitic beliefs and helped Jews escape.

In short Hitler was a politician who wasn't going to openly condemn Christianity because he knew he wouldn't be elected so he used his Catholic upbringing to his benefit and upped the rhetoric. Hitler wasn't an idiot, 95% of Germany practiced Christianity going to war with the Catholics would be stupid. So he put on a public face until he made sure he had power then he would seek to lower the influence of Christianity and make it a science based country. Hitler hated everyone who didn't call themselves Nazi's and those who opposed him. MAYBE earlier in his life before he rose to power his anti-semitism was influenced by his Catholic upbringing but he grew more and more jaded towards Christianity.

But I forgot all Christians are evil human beings. Because I've apparently seen churches hold food drives, clothing drives, open their doors to people when they had nowhere else to stay or do anything positive whatsoever in communities. The church I go to are all ***holes who apparently never have done anything at all when it comes to helping others because we never held Vacation Bible studies, have community cookouts, have blood drives, have free AIDS test, hand out free condoms or anything else. With logic like that why have an debate? If you have to use the "Hitler ate sugar" trope then you've lost already.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 122
Posted: 1/6/2015 4:51:06 PM

How about Stalin DB,he had a moustache.

So did Charlie Manson ...
 daynadaze
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2015 5:54:33 PM

But I forgot all Christians are evil human beings.

yawn

No, some very evil people are also Christians.
 CathyP726
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2015 6:10:33 PM
Rockn trucker- re: your post about Jesus was not God....how do you rectify substitutionary atonement with the quotes against human sacrifice ( such as in the story of the binding of Isaac which is more about forbidding child sacrifice than allowing it)in the bible if Jesus was not actually God himself ? ( in the trinitarian sense)

How the hell do you quote?....
 calguy14
Msg: 125
Posted: 1/6/2015 6:38:06 PM
@DB
I think Manson would have a full inbox on POF.
Marx is pretty bushy and maybe too old for you.:)
Apparently the aethiest movement is driven by older white men?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships