Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Maleman999
Msg: 201
Atheism, dating and relationshipsPage 9 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
A question about Jesus being on Earth roaming in areas preaching his beliefs and warning people not to be jerks: Do other religions who have a different variation of a superior being have a story about their God-like figure sending someone to Earth disguised as a human being to preach their specific gospel, and was that person killed for preaching? I would find Christianity more believable if the story was changed about Jesus being killed and rising from the dead, if his reaction was to go to the people who were responsible for his death and flash them the middle figure and say "Fck you a-holes. I fooled you ha ha. I dare you to try it again." That would be the quickest way to make people believers.

A common phrase spouted by believers is "He died for our sins." Isn't that the same for every mortal human who was murdered as a result of war or crime throughout the history of humanity? People have died in large numbers numerous times because of a country's leader ordering the slaughter and mass execution of another country's people. Haven't those victims died because of the sins of a war-hungry leader? How does the vision of Jesus dead on a cross (temporary death) change anything?
 calguy14
Msg: 202
Atheism, dating and relationships
Posted: 1/11/2015 10:06:43 AM
^^^
RFK,Janis Joplin,Jimi Hendrix,Jim Morrison,Kurt Cobain.We could include Mohammed or whoever it was that was slaughtered and had his head paraded on a stick.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 203
Posted: 1/11/2015 10:36:52 AM

Do other religions who have a different variation of a superior being have a story about their God-like figure sending someone to Earth disguised as a human being to preach their …..

Yes all religion is creative in storytelling.

funny how everything is based on science yet science has not done it's job to support the scientific version of our creation.

Science fiction is not science, LRH was not a scientist, he was a writer. Similar to other religious architects of the past.

There are many Christian religions that do not believe in Hell and Hellfire..... so your conclusion is a bunch of rhetorical comments made to form a paragraph, hoping there are enough gullible readers to believe you.

My conclusion is that man isn't creative enough by itself to guess what "god" might be. And the validity of my statement it is backed by data that can be observed in life.

Science doesn't even attempt to answer the question, science is build on facts that are verified through observation, study, analysis. etc.

Meaning science would never attempt to answer that question... at least not as the question is asked. Because the question is flawed from the start, let alone the answers that are fabricated from the flawed question.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 204
Posted: 1/11/2015 10:40:36 AM
Msg. 194:

Go talk about karma and positive vibes and believe in all that kind of stuff. But don't believe in God.

It's so great to agree with a believer. You're absolutely right; they are all equally ridiculous, right along with healing crystals, palm reading, etc. And this "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual"? No. Just no. The word is "SPIRITual". How can one be anything at all connected with "spirits" and profess to be rational thinkers?
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 205
Posted: 1/11/2015 12:17:33 PM
^^^ That's funny how everything is based on science yet science has not done it's job to support the scientific version of our creation.

There's a huge difference between writing sci-fi novels and being actually scientific. Two very different things. Gullible people will mesh the two together to think they're in the same realm. Secondly, no, there's no storybook laid out on how Exactly we came to being, how Mars exactly was 4 billion years ago, or a blueprint of the universe itself. So people need something to fill the void -- Hey-Zeus and the gang is one of them. Biological evolution does its job at showing the path of our species' rise to existence, though. God made Adam and Eve through the dirt of the earth -- is that any better? The ironic thing is, there's no conflict. Nor does the Bible or several other mythological religious books try and be astronomy or biological books -- so they "fail" at that as well -- or shall I say People are failures when they to make them their base astronomy or biological textbooks.

Do other religions who have a different variation of a superior being have a story about their God-like figure sending someone to Earth disguised as a human being to preach their specific gospel, and was that person killed for preaching?

Yeah. It's not even original. At the end of the 90s, I was shocked in college Xian Tradition class, the former priest being our instructor challenged me in front of the class that other religions had a son-of-god who was killed by others, rose 3 days later from the dead, had 12 disciples, etc -- among many others. And even sons-of-a-god who were cruxified. I'm thinking "No way -- believe Christianity or not, but you're saying it's super NON original? That it's copy cat? No way, I would have heard about it!" So I challenged him -- and lost. It's not even original. I wasn't much of a literal believer at all in Xianity, but that still shocked me. Made actual believers in any literal level look Really stupid.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 206
Posted: 1/11/2015 12:23:18 PM
^^Tired today. Do the work for me? Weren't the 12 disciples in all those religions before Xianity said to be based on the zodiac and the zodiac was based on the constellations? The star, the crucifixion, all of it. How many religions with the same story pre-dating Xtianity? If people would only educate themselves, perhaps they'd see.

I don't like lies and the lying liars who tell them. (And isn't that a book?) Religion is the biggest and most successful lie ever told.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 207
Posted: 1/11/2015 1:06:18 PM

No,the essence of Catholicism is that you don't end up with masses of people living in the streets such as occurs in many Indian cities.City of Joy,eh.

I don’t understand this. It sounds like you think because Indians aren’t Catholic there are masses of them living in the streets…? Are you saying God prefers Catholics? Why didn’t He make everyone Catholic, then? I thought God created all people, not just Catholics. But of course other religions would say they are wrong, and God is on their side. :/ Do some people really believe that “other” people suffer because these others don’t believe the same set of rules and/or rituals? Isn’t hating others a big no-no?

I don’t understand how any person who identifies as “religious” could believe that a God would create ANY people simply to torture and ultimately destroy them. But maybe that fate is only for people of those “other” organized religions, and other blasphemers/heathens…?
 daynadaze
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2015 1:19:36 PM
Nobody anywhere has has done much of a job in explaining our creation, that of life it's self, because it's all ideas based on some facts, we can't go back and see it happen. Science certainly takes a much better stab at seeking truth and being able to back up and try again, than any blatant storytelling of religions. Why would there even need to be gods? What would be their point, where did they come from, why are they worshiped when they don't do anything? What's the point? Seriously, what's the point, other than some think they can't be good people unless they fear something dreadful, whiles some others can't see a point to life unless they get to hope for all those they don't like to suffer horribly, beyond any known suffering, so the person can feel superior? Even as storytelling to explain unknown things, religions are so lacking as to be insulting to one's intelligence.
 calguy14
Msg: 209
Posted: 1/11/2015 4:05:44 PM
@Sunshinegirl

I don’t understand this. It sounds like you think because Indians aren’t Catholic there are masses of them living in the streets…?

No,masses of people live in the streets because they cannot earn enough to live elsewhere.Possibly,most likely they are lower caste people or even untouchables.Western societies have had Christianity as the core of their societies,large churches ect.Think of the IODE,Imperial Order of the Daughters of the EmpireThose little shops would help the less fortunate,or provide assistance in other manners.In fact,think of how many charitable orgs we have.Not all are religious,of course,some people simply do not want to preach,they feel fortunate and simply wish to help.I believe the rise of welfare assistance may have destroyed some of this activity.

Jog my brain,tell me about a civilized country that developed without religion dayna.Who knows,we may be just a science experiment of some higher being.Something created life,no scientist can point to any evidence of how intelligence could be created.Think of the complexity of the liver alone......sorry,scientists know sfa.
 Dan198508
Msg: 210
Posted: 1/11/2015 4:51:13 PM
The more we learn,the more we understand how little we know.Man may have created gods,but somebody created this universe and the marvelous complexity of living creatures.

And when the universe ends,what is on the other side?

This is why it is an absolute necessity for God to be dead, if he ever existed at all. The fact that the more we learn, the more we understand how little we know is a proof of it. If it was that simple, then, we learn about God and it's finished. We know everything and nothing could evolve past that point.

There would be no more surprises. You see?
 Maleman999
Msg: 211
Posted: 1/11/2015 6:52:37 PM
There's only one way to get to the bottom of the is-there-or-isn't-there a God debate. Get Oprah on the case. Have her team track down God, interview him with questions where the answers will clarify all religious issues.
 Aradia96
Msg: 212
Posted: 1/11/2015 11:41:08 PM
I don't think a religious person would want to date me, so I've never had any issues
 calguy14
Msg: 213
Posted: 1/12/2015 6:10:39 AM
@Dan
Disagree.Look at the number of degrees Einstein had.With our current levels of knowledge,how many could he achieve today?At some point scientists will understand that we are in fact all idiots compared to whoever or whatever designed the universe.

And how about time?And space?That should be right up your alley. :)
 daynadaze
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2015 8:06:58 AM
Calguy, why because things are complex, does that lead you to some god or gods ruling the universe? When the answer is god did it, when there is absolutely no god of any kind to be seen anywhere, what the heck does the answer god mean to you? It just goes around and around, god this, god that, building one lie on top of the other, then stomping one's foot and saying, because god said so!
 calguy14
Msg: 215
Posted: 1/12/2015 8:16:18 AM
@dayna
As I stated,man created gods.Whoever designed this place is obviously of a higher intelligence....all knowing.Religion is fabric,and I worry about its loss.You can see it all around you....a blind lady slipped on the ice and into a traffic lane on McLeod Trail here last week.She couldn't get up and cars honked and drove around her till two city of Calgary employees came upon her....
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2015 11:26:00 AM
We still don't have some things straight about a few basic terms.

Gnostic is not just about knowledge, or knowing. It is about a very specific type of knowledge, namely that which is acquired only through supernatural means, or spiritually privileged. From there one can derive a couple of different meanings for agnostic. Additionally, gnostic or agnostic can describe a religious or non-religious person, but agnostic is not a middle-ground or third-option for saying whether or not you are religious. It's not even on that spectrum. What many people think that agnostic is, is what atheist is.

Theism is not about saying that there is a god, but it is about believing that there is. Theism is about using belief, whether you choose to believe that there is a god or that there isn't a god. From there one can derive that atheism is simply about not embracing belief. It is not about saying that there isn't a god. (By the way, be mindful of the difference between "not believing in god" and "believing that there is no god.")

And finally, being religious is pretty much synonymous with using or employing belief...being a bit dogmatic and careless, and not being objective and skeptical enough.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 217
Posted: 1/12/2015 11:48:05 AM

And finally, being religious is pretty much synonymous with using or employing belief...being a bit dogmatic and careless, and not being objective and skeptical enough.

To be clear, people do employ belief and faith all the time in their daily lives.

I have faith most people will obey traffic laws and not turn in front of me at an intersection. I believe there we did land on the moon, and I believe there are in fact other countries that I have never visited. I believe and have faith in vaccines to prevent disease. I can't verify for myself many things that I have to take on faith.

So it's more a matter of what you elect to take on faith, but in order to live in a complex society we have to take many things on faith.
 chameleonf
Msg: 218
Posted: 1/12/2015 11:57:22 AM

Religion is fabric,and I worry about its loss.You can see it all around you....a blind lady slipped on the ice and into a traffic lane on McLeod Trail here last week.She couldn't get up and cars honked and drove around her till two city of Calgary employees came upon her....

Not sure if I'm interpreting this the way you intended but it almost sounds as though you are being critical of people not stopping for the blind lady and driving around her because of a lack of religion, which would mean that it was specifically unreligious people who didn't stop and the City of Calgary employees only stopped either because clearing roadways was part of their job or because you have knowledge that they were religious. In either instance, one has no way of knowing if those who drove by or those who stopped had any religious beliefs (god/gods), an undecided viewpoint, or an absolute disbelief in religion. What it does boil down to though is a distinct lack of character in all who drove by her, no matter their beliefs, which leads me to the conclusion that being religious is no determination of a person's good character (like that's some kind of news flash).

To be clear, people do employ belief and faith all the time in their daily lives.

I have faith most people will obey traffic laws and not turn in front of me at an intersection. I believe there we did land on the moon, and I believe there are in fact other countries that I have never visited. I believe and have faith in vaccines to prevent disease. I can't verify for myself many things that I have to take on faith.

So it's more a matter of what you elect to take on faith, but in order to live in a complex society we have to take many things on faith.

Would the above not more be a case of having evidence that people, for the most part, have been PROVEN to obey traffic laws so you take the "judgement" call within yourself to drive through the intersections during your turn, there was PROOF of landing on the moon, that you have KNOWLEDGE that you haven't visited other countries, and that vaccines have been PROVEN to prevent, in major ways, the spread if disease?? I wouldn't put your examples down to any belief or faith system, particularly in a religious sense.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 219
Posted: 1/12/2015 11:59:10 AM

Totally agree. Beliefs in the supernatural lead to poor decision-making.

I have faith most people will obey traffic laws and not turn in front of me at an intersection

Not me. I live in Florida. And if I'm assessing road risk for some reason, I'm going to go to traffic stats for wherever I'm driving.

I believe there are in fact other countries that I have never visited.

I think there are ways to verify this. No faith required.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2015 12:07:35 PM

This is very bad. This is one of those deceptions that must be stopped. What's happening here is jumping sideways to a totally different phenomena, different dynamic, and a very different concept...which just happens to use the same word just like how there are 2 or 3 very different and unrelated defintions to the word "right". This is a dirty trick that just keeps people confused.

The kind of faith and belief that you're talking about is not one single bit the same thing as what we're talking about here. Not at all.
 calguy14
Msg: 221
Posted: 1/12/2015 1:08:08 PM

Not sure if I'm interpreting this the way you intended but it almost sounds as though you are being critical of people not stopping for the blind lady and driving around her because of a lack of religion, which would mean that it was specifically unreligious people who didn't stop and the City of Calgary employees only stopped either because clearing roadways was part of their job or because you have knowledge that they were religious. In either instance, one has no way of knowing if those who drove by or those who stopped had any religious beliefs (god/gods), an undecided viewpoint, or an absolute disbelief in religion. What it does boil down to though is a distinct lack of character in all who drove by her, no matter their beliefs, which leads me to the conclusion that being religious is no determination of a person's good character (like that's some kind of news flash).

Agree.But is this behavior something that is spreading?The lady was in her fifties,floundering about.Who wouldn't stop?Why is this happening?This seems foreign to me.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 222
Posted: 1/12/2015 1:11:11 PM
calguy, I don't get it either. Are you saying the city employees must have been religious to help the lady? What? Did you ask them? Take ID? Lots of folks haven't given a damn about anyone but themselves since the beginning of time. Has nothing to do with religion or no religion. Yes, narcissim is being rewarded in today's society and things are getting a bit worse that way, but apple and oranges.
 overunity
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2015 1:18:01 PM
Doing the right thing in any scenario should not require the belief in any superstition.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 224
Posted: 1/12/2015 1:56:03 PM

a blind lady slipped on the ice and into a traffic lane on McLeod Trail here last week.She couldn't get up and cars honked and drove around her till two city of Calgary employees came upon her....

It's Canada. If you can't skate on the ice -- move over sister, we ain't helping ya! It's blasphemous to not be able to handle the ice! ;)
 Dan198508
Msg: 225
Posted: 1/12/2015 1:57:45 PM
@Dan
Disagree.Look at the number of degrees Einstein had.With our current levels of knowledge,how many could he achieve today?At some point scientists will understand that we are in fact all idiots compared to whoever or whatever designed the universe.

And how about time?And space?That should be right up your alley. :)

The idea that someone or something had to create this Universe is idiotic. You picture this artist carving a beautiful sculpture and compare the Universe to the artist's creation. It is not like that. The artist had a goal, like sculpting a female, and he had a method. The Universe has no goal and no method. It adopts a fukall approach.

We ARE the Universe. If we are idiotic (I hope not) then the Universe is idiotic as well. If we are smart, the Universe is smart as well. What I know for sure is that the PROCESS by which the Universe created us is trully idiotic because it was a trial and error approach. Do everything that can be done and eventually something will work.

If I ask you, what does 212 multiplied by 113 give? You answer 1, I say no, you answer 2, I say no, you answer 3,4,5,6,...and when you get to 23,956 I say yes. You got the correct answer but are you smart or idiotic? You are idiotic of course! The Universe is like that. It tries EVERYTHING until something works. It does not even WANT for something to work. It doesn't care if nothing will EVER work, it just keeps trying because it has nothing better to do.

Nothing happends until something happends. Things just happen without reason. Think for a while, if you had to pick a part of the universe that best describes it, to your best of knowledge, what would that part be? The human being of course! The human being was created in the same way the Universe was created: Through trial and error. Through things that happened for no reason other than because they had nothing better to do than to happen.

Don't try to find an easy way out saying someone created all this. Try to see the truth and find out what this whole thing is, because I can tell you, it is not a creation. A creation is a Mozard symphony. It is set in stone: It cannot ever change not even by a note. It can't evolve. Ever. That's a creation. Our Universe evolves every nanosecond, it becomes something else. So if you call it a creation than, it's a creation that creates itself indefinitly.

The Universe didn't even know it existed until intelligent life forms like humans emerged. It was always there and it had no knowledge of it. As a human when you ask yourself the question "what am I?" or "why am I here" you are in fact the Universe asking those same questions! It is one and the same thing! We are just the result of the Universe figuring itself out. You are not here for a God to help you, you are here to help everything else. Your mission is hard.

Who else is going to do it? Can you ask a rock to figure this stuff out? Who's going to figure things out? The answer is YOU. Now, for certain people, that's too much responsability to they adopt a religion. But think about what a waste that is: The Universe, which is in fact us, spent 13 billion years becoming us, and you'll waste it all thinking someone else did it. 13 billion years gone to waste, not to mention how many trials it took for this universe to spawn with the right cosmological constant.

The main difference between the creation process of the Universe and our creation process is that we discard possibilities that don't work. Like, if I build a bridge, I will discard structures that will collapse. The universe doesn't, it builds 10,000 bridges, and only 10 don't collapse because it so happends they have the right structure.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Atheism, dating and relationships