Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Tinder      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 26
TinderPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
VolcanoKing, must be your area, but I see totally different people on Tinder. Very few of them I recognize from POF or OKC, most of them are only on Tinder.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 27
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 6:59:47 AM
I spent a little more time after I posted that looking thru the pics. Some of them are indeed the very same people I've seen on other dating sites, same photos, everything. Again, how can these be FB profile pics? Maybe these guys set up a "secondary" FB page just for this app. I recognized at least one guy who I am FB friends with and he's using is OKC profile pic, not his current FB pic..so they must be dialed into this differently.

Same online dating fodder..guys holding up bottles of alcohol, or standing next to sportscars with a hot women hanging onto him, or flipping you off, tongue sticking out, or the "close up of the eyeball"... blurry old looking photos, snarky selfies taken in the mirror, one guy with his pants pulled down so low it's almost at the base of his penis.

One guy posted a photo of a toddler sitting on a tricycle. That was the photo. A toddler. Many others posted photos of celebrities or a photos of themselves as a little boy. Perhaps there is more of a propensity for men around here to "think they are being funny or clever" by posting photos of themselves acting like obnoxious jerks, or using photos of their own children instead of themselves, or celebrities.

Just the same douchebag sort of photos, men making jacka@@es of themselves.

Heh. Good for a couple minutes of laughs. But seriously. *uninstalls app*
 south_city
Msg: 28
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 7:05:31 AM

One of the major pluses of Tinder is you don't have to give your phone number in order to communicate quickly. You're already chatting with the person in an IM fashion on your phone. I've had guys set up dates and then I meet them without having to exchange numbers (only after our date and if we wish to remain in contact).

I still would prefer to exchange numbers before a date / meeting. In case one of us is running late or needs to postpone the date. It would be easier ( and safer ) to call someone when I'm driving. Instead of logging into a Tinder or POF app to email them. Plus the other person may get the message quicker when I called them.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 29
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 12:13:42 PM
I can think of better uses for my hand.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 12:19:55 PM
“Are these people's Facebook profile photos?”/”Again, how can these be FB profile pics?”

Tinder and Hot Or Not’s connections to Facebook are rather interesting. In both cases, the app should connect to your Facebook, then ask you which pictures from your Facebook account you want to include in your Tinder/HON profile. That’s how it worked with me, but I’ve noticed that quite a few women, particularly with Hot Or Not, seem to have just let those apps pick both which pictures and the amount of pictures (you can have dozens on HON), because there is no logical reason for having some of those pictures on a dating app... you know, particularly the ones of them kissing ex-boyfriends... or possibly current boyfriends. Some Tinder/HON profiles are so obviously exact clones of the women’s FB profiles that their Tinder/HON user name is their full name (not wise).

It makes me wonder both if they’re understanding how to use these apps (it’s quite possible with HON they are treating it in the same manner as the original HON, which was just picture rating before it became primarily concerned with dating... interestingly, that’s also FB’s origin), and if these apps are just stealing/hijacking people’s FB profiles in order to inflate their numbers. After all, think about it: on POF’s similar Meet Me, it’s easily possible to run out of profiles to click Yes/No to, even in major metros like ours, yet I’ve very rarely received such a message on Tinder or HON, even though I’ve found it much faster to zip through Tinder/HON than Meet Me (where I often get bogged down by pesky profile details).

I’m not saying they’re outright con games, but it’s certainly not unheard of for startup (or even veteran) dating websites to set up fake accounts (particularly female) to trick users into believing there are a lot more options on those sites than there really are. On the other hand, I also believe it’s just as likely that many of the participants I’m speaking of are either stupid or don’t understand the purpose of the apps, which is definitely not to recreate their FB accounts.

Again, you don’t have to use your main FB profile pic as your main Tinder profile pic – you can use any FB pictures you have on your Tinder account. So your Tinder profile can seem extremely similar or dissimilar (if you have hundreds of FB pictures) to your FB profile. I was recently in a wedding and have dozens of FB pictures from that event, but not a single one is on Tinder or any of my other dating website profiles. Usually some of my FB film festival pictures eventually creep into my dating profiles... after all, that is 90% of my non-working life.

Hey, if you don’t like their pics, you can always do what 99.99% of women on Tinder do to me: swipe left. At least you didn't have to waste any time reading any tripe from or about them before rejecting, unlike on POF! I’m not going to pretend I have any idea what a woman’s version of Tinder looks like, but most women on it, in my area and in my age group, appear to be fairly serious about it as a meeting tool/dating app, though some younger women I know do play a lot of “Tinder games” on guys.

“Very few of them I recognize from POF or OKC, most of them are only on Tinder.”

I can’t recall ever coming across someone on Tinder/HON that I’ve seen on POF or any other dating website despite thousands of swipes, but then again Tinder/HON skew much younger than POF. In fact, I discovered Tinder’s existence (before it became famous) because of my friend’s teenage daughter who wouldn’t be caught dead on a traditional “dating” site. That said, I’ve several times come across actual real life friends/acquaintances on Tinder (at a far higher rate than on POF), but that’s not surprising considering the concept is that it uses your FB friends to determine who you would best match up with. It’s one thing I don’t really like about Tinder (other than being extremely unpopular on it): if my current friends or acquaintances or even friends of friends actually liked me romantically, I think I would know about it. My best chance lies with someone far removed from my social circles (indeed, in my entire life, I have only dated one person who knew any of my friends before we started dating, though that was my best relationship, so maybe there is some meaning to that).

“Middle eastern men get the fewest replies last I read.”

Most dating website statistics have black men receiving the fewest replies, though in the current environment (Je Suis Charlie!), I could see why Middle Eastern men might be a close second. You don’t want to end up like Katherine Russell! Though to most white women, that's still more enticing than ending up like Nicole Simpson.

“Maybe you're just in the wrong city. I couldn't find a suitable guy until I expanded my search to include the entire U.S. I met my guy online hundred of miles away and he moved here to be with me after dating for a year.”

Yeah, I’ve had many long discussions in POF’s forums about location, location, location. But usually one’s attempts to “expand the search” are hamstrung by site geographic limitations. Once in a while someone from Miami will pop up on my POF feed who I think looks pretty interesting, then realize she has “must be within 75 miles” in her mail settings. More power to you for being able to develop and maintain such a long distant relationship.

All that said, 99.99% visual rejection is on such a high level that it’s difficult to imagine that changing regions within the US would have much of an effect. In the Age of Mass Media, what’s attractive in Florida is attractive in New York is attractive in L.A. is attractive in Alabama is attractive in South Dakota is attractive in Alaska -- movies, TV, magazines, the internet all tell us so. Changing countries (and therefore cultures and dominant ethnicities) is another story. And what’s considered attractive personality-wise also varies more widely from region to region (for example, a liberal is a dirty thing in Alabama no matter what he looks like while he might be a god or even mayor in NYC).

But again, my point with Tinder is that it is a pure PHYSICAL attractiveness gauge. If you want to know how hot (or not) your physical features are, spend a few hours with that app. If you do far better with it than on conventional dating websites, then you’re probably an attractive person with either a flawed conventional website profile or a flawed personality that comes out in conventional website profiles. If you do much worse on it, then you’re probably not that attractive but your personality (for real or as suggested by your conventional dating website profile) has been helping you out. If you’re like me, and you’re currently doing extremely badly on both Tinder and conventional dating websites, then you are so unattractive that even a profile written by God Himself will not save you.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 31
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 1:14:15 PM
I don't get it. Is it a hookup app, or a dating app?

Like POF, it can be whatever you want it to be. :)

It connects to Facebook, but is there a way to customize what it says or does it only read your "About Me" line from your Facebook profile?

You can modify it to display what you want. By default, it takes from your FB page as a starter.

There literally seems to be people of all age ranges, but it's entirely 100% superficial and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

What isn't, online or at the bar, when one hits someone else up who they're attracted to? Being attracted to someone due to them spilling out in their online profile that they have a great paying job = superficial, just as big-boobs = superficial. You don't know them or how you mesh with them. It's all superficial (surface) until you get to bantering and getting to know each other. It's angle is it takes away the "full resume" aspect of it, limits it to a paragraph -- and allows you to communicate with someone if there's mutual Attraction TO THEN see if there's something beyond the surface.

That's how it always has been since the beginning of time, sans profile-resume-based online profiles. The good part is, you can only write people in which there's a Mutual attraction. That would be Awesome at the bar. Or heck, even here. :)
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 32
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 2:32:26 PM
I guess what I found interesting is that the photos are just so *custom tailored* for online dating. The mirror selfies, men lifting their shirts up, tugging their pants down, pictures with two hot women on each arm..the fancy cars, holding up beers and flipping you off..this is the same thing I see on OKC for example. Facebook profile pics generally are not like this..not so overt, sexual or "show off-ish in order to get a date."

Plus, the usual horrible guy photos where they stick their face right up into the webcam, the yellow/green fluorescent lighting, photos that are clearly from 10-15 years back, etc. Tounge sticking out w/middle fingers, just complete a@@hole photos.

I guess it goes without saying that all these dating apps and sites and whatnot still plug you into the same people. The same selection of men who are saturating all the other sites. The "product" is still the same. Every new pond gets stocked with the same fish. I see the same guys, sometimes for years, spinning around in the online soup. They are everywhere...all the free sites, the paid sites and now the apps.

The world's greatest profile isnt going to save you from a@@holes either. The quality of what you say in your profile has zero to do with the quality of people to pick from.
 petula1908
Msg: 33
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 2:54:12 PM
Hawkingjr

It is not your face, I think you know that or you reading it all wrong. The problem lies with lack of height. Same with all sorts of other dating sites.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 3:26:34 PM
"I guess what I found interesting is that the photos are just so *custom tailored* for online dating. The mirror selfies, men lifting their shirts up, tugging their pants down, pictures with two hot women on each arm..the fancy cars, holding up beers and flipping you off..this is the same thing I see on OKC for example. Facebook profile pics generally are not like this..not so overt, sexual or 'show off-ish in order to get a date.'"

What are your age settings? That kind of stuff sounds mostly like teenager and 20-something-type profiles. Like I said, I've never looked at men's profiles on Tinder, but I have on most other dating websites including POF, and men in their 30s and 40s rarely ever have the kind of pictures you're talking about. I mean, when the 18-year-olds pop up on my Tinder, suddenly there are a bunch of duckfaces and gangster signs, but most women in their 30s have extremely appropriate pictures... no matter what dating website I'm on.

All that said, I've been in Los Angeles enough to know that men (and women) don't seem to mature as fast in that city for some reason (it does attract a lot of dreamers), so if you've got high age settings and those are your results, maybe it is a function of location.

"The world's greatest profile isnt going to save you from a@@holes either. The quality of what you say in your profile has zero to do with the quality of people to pick from. "

I will not disagree with that.

"It is not your face, I think you know that or you reading it all wrong. The problem lies with lack of height. Same with all sorts of other dating sites."

I repeat: there are NO heights listed or height search criteria on Tinder. I have NO pictures of me with other people on that app. It is impossible to tell how tall I am on Tinder. Therefore, it is impossible that I am being rejected because of my height on that site. Yet I'm being rejected at a higher rate there than on any traditional dating website where my height is listed and height is searchable -- even POF (where my lifetime response rate is approximately 5%).

Explain.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 35
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 4:01:26 PM
My age range that I tried last night was 45-54. I never look for men in their 20s-30's.

I've been on dating sites off and on since 1996 or so..with much time in between. But I have a pretty good idea of what photos look like and have looked like. In the last year the idiocy quotient has skyrocketed. Now loads of young girls try to act like skanks and sluts, holding their beers and blowing cig smoke into the camera, making the Miley Cyrus pinch eyed tongue thing...pics of only boobs (woohoo!), pouty duckfaces or the smarmy smart a@@ face. Very sexed up, and oftentimes with disclaimers that they do NOT want anything casual and if you cant respect them then move on! A good number of them have babies/toddlers as well.

Now I'm seeing the male equivalent happening. All of a sudden the thing now is to stick your tounge out..and I am talking not just the 20 year olds but guys my age (mid/late 40's.) And give you the middle finger.

So now we've got the "pull my sweatpants down just before my penis pops out" photos, the bathroom mirror vogue-ing snaps and the "I'm in bed looking all cuddly" pics..now every guy has caught on that it's great to look like a drunk douchebag.

There are so few photos that have any sort of "class" anymore. And I know it has something to do with this area...being a d@ckhead or a in-your-face attention whores (who is really looking for a relationship, BTW) is looked upon as really cool by some because it shows how outrageous you are and how little you care about anything. In other words, it is trendy now for 50 year old guys to act like 19 year old a@@holes.

Tinder has no magical box it can pull "normal decent people" out of because there are so few of 'em online! :D
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 36
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 4:15:53 PM
I think Petula was referring to your experiences on other sites where height is listed.

We've had many many MANY extremely lengthy paragraphs from you about your lack of luck , and you've since come to the conclusion that you are not attractive enough for women online. Are you going to be starting up that stuff again? You wrote books about how upset you are over it. I think we all get it by now. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just think it's pointless to crack that open again and start another weeks-long round on how ugly you are and how women dont like you.

Men are not interested in me, either. I cannot get a date to save my life! Even extending myself out to people with invitations for coffee, hiking, handing a business card and a request to "give me a call"..no one ever does. I've even invited one guy to a dinner recently with a couple friends, and when we got there, he sat himself on the far side of the table, completely away from me.

Hahahahahaha! *shrugs* Whaddya gonna do!

So, I just stopped taking it seriously. And guess what happened.

A TON of anxiety was lifted. I actually feel *better* about myself because I no longer feel like anything is missing in my life because I cant get dates. Life is loaded with other things to occupy yourself with, many ways to be a success.

Go find them.
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 37
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 4:34:25 PM

And how would you know that anything they're saying right to your face isn't bullshit, versus what they could have typed on a profile?

This is what I was getting at before…I don’t see how one form of electronic media can be more reliable than any other. And of course, the lying to your face part. :/

So basically…. it’s about not having to get your hopes up that the guy you’re meeting isn’t a dirty filthy liar on his profile. I would think that would be a good way of weeding out dirt bags. At least with a profile you have something to compare the bullsh!t to…in person all you have is his word for it. I don’t agree that people are more honest in person. Their lies can just be more convincing, like when accompanied by a nice smile and puppy dog eyes.

There are a few people on the forums I’d love to crack open a beer with, and you are one of them, VolkanoKing. :) I agree with so much of what you say.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 5:49:13 PM
This is actually a new revelation, brought to me via Tinder experiences. I never previously argued that my online dating failures were because I was ugly -- rather, I claimed being on the negative side of statistics (particularly height and race) was the primary culprit. Although I've long been aware that I'm not as facially attractive as many men, it really took Tinder to make me re-evaluate myself and come to the conclusion of "nearly all men." I still have trouble believing it, because it hadn't really been my real life experience (I've not been called "ugly" very often and most of my female friends have claimed my face is cute), but what else am I to do with overwhelming evidence of it? There is really no other explanation for these numbers, because in Tinder, unlike other sites, all variables are controlled, and you're just left with... facial attractiveness.

I'm not really sure what you expect out of me in the POF forums (I was gone for several months because I was deep in film festival hell with no time to do anything else but make sure that project didn't fall apart). You can only post about your life experiences. This is my life experience. You never seem to complain about anyone who writes about a NORMAL life experience. I do apologize for not having one. I can promise you I tried really hard to. Nobody purposefully ends up this way. Nobody thinks to himself: "Man, you know what would really annoy those POF forumites? Failure. I think I'll do that instead of regularly going on dates starting in high school and getting married and having kids and a huge social circle and a big house in the suburbs. Wow, I just can't wait to annoy those POF people with my tales of woe -- that's going to be so much more awesome than actually LIVING A NORMAL LIFE."

I usually fall much more on the nurture side of the argument than the nature side, but lately I have begun wondering if maybe there is something innate in us that controls our level of desire to be involved romantically. Some people can just shrug off the notion and life is wonderful. If it were so easy to look at it objectively and realize you're better off not bothering with romance, then it's likely homo sapiens would rapidly become an endangered species. I do admire that you and WIP and others (mostly other middle-aged women) can do that, and I understand that my life would be so much better if I were wired that way. But I'm just not. I've longed for romantic relationships with women since I was 5 years old and simply acknowledging that I'm a failure in this area or even that I was not built to succeed in this area cannot possibly keep me from longing for it, no more than men not wired this way can be made to long for it by the women who want them to (just ask women in love with their gay BFFs, asexuals, sociopaths, etc.). If you can look objectively at your situation and say, "Dating just doesn't work for me so I'm going to quit bothering" and really mean it, then it's pretty likely you were never wired to care that much about it to begin with and were only going along with your socialization to care, because it's not a switch you can turn on and off just after logical analysis.
 OneKewlDood
Msg: 39
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 5:58:45 PM

I never previously argued that my online dating failures were because I was ugly -- rather, I claimed being on the negative side of statistics (particularly height and race) was the primary culprit.

Do you use this pic on other sites? I think you're a decent looking guy, but you have what's often referred to as a "soft chin". From this pic, it actually looks like your chin is very small. Women are more attracted to rectangular faces, and you have more of a triangular face. They are more drawn to men with strong, wide chins.

Try using pics from a different angle; more straight-on. If you do have a soft chin, it will put less emphasis on it.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 40
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 6:05:42 PM
VolcanoKing, I do see some horrific pics on Tinder too, but I left swipe those. Not much time wasted, it takes less than a second to do. Today, during a 5 minute break at work, I was flipping through Tinder and must have swiped at least 50 profiles, but I only right-swiped about 6. Four of those matched up with me. So you have to swipe a bit to see something you like, just like on traditional dating websites, I'm not interested in 90% of the men.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 41
Tinder
Posted: 1/15/2015 6:21:23 PM
"I'm not really sure what you expect out of me in the POF forums"

I think you're reading a bit too much into this. No one gives any thought to what to expect out of anyone. I just sensed you might be on the brink of another ride on the "women think I'm ugly" train and it was a long, long ride last time with no conclusion, ultimately. Maybe you can spare yourself some grief and ease up. Like I did. I didnt stop "caring" about men or dating, I just got more realistic about my chances at dating as a middle age woman. They aint good as it is, and living in the middle of the land-o-narcissism is like the final shot that kills it off.

I just stopped trying to figure out what is wrong with me, why cant I get a date, what is it going to take..I just stopped. Because finally making some huge discovery that I am too old or not hot enough or whatever it is isnt going to suddenly turn the situation around. It's a dead end street. It becomes meaningless.

And to try to fight online dating? It's a lost cause! Online sites are filled with selfish, self centered goons, loons, players, liars, soul suckers and time wasters. To measure yourself against online dating is like standing in front of an insane asylum and asking "Why wont they let me in? Aren't I good enough???"

PLEASE tell me that made you laugh! :D

Karma-Yes, I know there is plenty of swiping involved. But it's more than that, even beyond the dumb pics..I'm not after just a pretty face. It's the "content of character" part that is SO lacking with this stuff. And now, you are flipping thru what seems like trading cards. Even LESS information to go by. Another blindfold put on. It just doesn't keep my interest.

I have a guy friend who got a chin implant. He used to sit at work with plastic surgery booklets and look at his profile in the mirror. Finally we arranged to take a day off work and I drove him down to Orange County to get it done. I guess he looks a little different..but it was another 17 years before he hit it off with a really great lady, and since I saw them at the party the moment they met each other and fell, I can assure you it has NOTHING to do with his chin.
 south_city
Msg: 42
Tinder
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:05:12 AM
Just for fun, I downloaded tinder on my phone. Some photos didn't contain any people. The photos included a dog, forest, sign etc. Some photos only had small kids. Presumably their children. Some photos had 5 women that looked around the same age in it. How am I supposed to tell which person is on Tinder? At least on POF or Match you can write a comment about the picture to say "I'm in the middle" or "I'm wearing the red shirt". I even saw a photo of a woman in her wedding dress. LOL.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 43
Tinder
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:16:02 AM
South City, that's why you swipe and swipe and swipe some more until you come across someone you like. I'm meeting someone from Tinder tomorrow, and he has been posting lots of "moments" (which are new photos that are only visible to people who he is matched with on Tinder) of him hiking and doing fun things. He seems fun and genuine, but then again, like on any other online dating site, nothing is real until you meet in person. So we shall see. This is only my second Tinder date.
 alanj805
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Tinder
Posted: 1/17/2015 12:21:38 PM
I think norwegianguy's got the right idea.

Unless you happen upon a mythological scenario such as sharing the same table with someone attractive at a library where you both happen to notice the other is also reading James Joyce, which is the perfect set up for instant philosophical connection, if you want to meet someone, you've got to be open to superficial and weird as the starting point. For those over 35, Tinder is probably also adding the wrong sort of population demographic to the problem.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 45
Tinder
Posted: 1/17/2015 12:55:24 PM

I think Petula was referring to your experiences on other sites where height is listed.

We've had many many MANY extremely lengthy paragraphs from you about your lack of luck , and you've since come to the conclusion that you are not attractive enough for women online. Are you going to be starting up that stuff again?

I think Petula was assuming there was a height thing (or just that Tinder fell into the category of standard online dating where height's always listed). But here's the kicker: If height is the main factor for being rejected -- then you're going to be More Accepted via Hot--Or--Not, or Tinder. It's a great "is it my height" test.

If HawkingJr's finding out chicks are not into him via Tinder -- it's Great news (and some bad news too). Great news is, it's not so much his height as he thought. There's another caveat that he CAN change that's getting in the way, before that. His pictures. His main pic here is fine, but what about the FB ones?

Hawking, you basically have to get some good photos going. You're not an ugly guy where every gal's going to dismiss ya. But, you're not some hot stud where you could have unflattering photos still make a gal's panties wet. Pictures, if anything, bear more weight on Hot--Or--Not and Tinder. So the Good News is that gals are skipping by a ton Before height is even an issue. Great! You want your height to be the ONLY (real) issue, as much as possible.

Make tinder have your main photo here be your primary photo there... and get some good pictures. Throw out the ones that are socially-cool but sacrifices looks. Heck, through your circle, I'm sure you know people who know how to take photos. I'd bet you $200 (no lie), that if you focused on getting some great pictures done, and did, while throwing out almost all your current ones -- you'd see a Huge improvement on Tinder (if you're not getting responses now) -- and to a Good extent, on regular online sites. That's ASSUMING, of course, you didn't like, get way out of shape since your last photos. :)
 south_city
Msg: 46
Tinder
Posted: 1/17/2015 2:57:14 PM

South City, that's why you swipe and swipe and swipe some more until you come across someone you like.

That's obvious. I just found it interesting and funny that some people used these types of photos as their main photos. I would see these photos on other dating sites. But they were often one of the secondary photos.
 Ainen
Msg: 47
Tinder
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:18:14 PM
Joined a week ago. Already have been on two dates with a girl from there. No kids, non-smoker, young, great personality, sexy. The first date was not a short meet, but a full fledged "date date" that lasted 4 hours. We kissed early on the first date. The second one began at an exotic mom & pop restaurant (she offered to pay the bill because I paid for everything on the first date), then we went to my place.

Haven't gone through a huge amount of profiles (conserving data as it's nearing my monthly limit; January thaw doing things outside; busy with the above mentioned gal), but got 6 other matches, all but two leading to significant amounts of communication. Because Tinder has less info, two of those I wouldn't have messaged on POF: one turned out to have kids, the other (long into a phone conversation) let me know she wanted them and didn't want to be with anyone who didn't want them. The other two conversations ended after I suggested meeting in real life; that happens a lot on POF, but it was faster on Tinder (despite more messages) because time between messages has been a lot shorter so far.

One contact was gone the morning after I'd sent her a first message; perhaps she unmatched me because she was looking for hookups and my decent message bored her. The other trickled in after I focused on the date gal.

I don't swipe to accept anyone, always clicking the button that shows profile text (if they have any, max 500 characters) and any additional photos. Therefore at least one person on Tinder (me) isn't superficially picking people just on their looks.

Have seen some POFers on Tinder. Some of the "new" faces were probably POFers I hadn't seen because I filter out smokers and mothers on here.

Some of the profile text is lame. Many say "Not here for hookups".

Saw two with mutual friends.

There are users over 50 years old.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 48
Tinder
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:56:55 PM

There are users over 50 years old.

Yes, but I seem to remember (in the very brief experience I had with Tinder a month or two ago) that there was some limiting factor in setting up the conditions for who to search that stopped at 50 years old. Maybe it was the upper age limit or some other aspect that I felt was going to severely limit my choices, I don't remember. It was clear to me at the time that those over 50 were not catered to, so bye-bye.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 49
Tinder
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:07:03 PM
I just did a Google search and found that it was the age range option for the search - stops at 50 at the upper end. So just how does anyone over 50 show up in a search? Maybe they look at your age and then ignore the age range parameter, but then it would seem that those below 50 would not see those over 50 show up in their searches, and those over 50 have zero control of who shows up in their search. So no thanks.

(Tried to edit my previous post, but was denied with some sort of error)
 Ainen
Msg: 50
Tinder
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:35:45 PM
I'm under 50 and it shows some people over 50. The default maximum age they put for my settings was 54. When selecting it from the Android app, next up from 54 was "55+".

Would guess it only shows people if each is within the other's age range.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Tinder