Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > views on dogs living indoors      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 loveisatemple
Msg: 51
views on dogs living indoorsPage 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Is this relationship that good? There are so many pet lovers in the world who think as you do, Op, that you'd probably have fewer barriers dealing with them.

This guy has a right to his feelings, but not to impose his lifestyle. Why go through with it? I find pets a dealbreaker in that I am allergic, never grew up with pets. We had a budgie, but even that might be much, as they do get lonely.

A guy I knew kept his dog in the other room when I visited, but having to do that all the time would not be feasible. Most of my exes were cat men, and I put up with that enough. I only liked one of the cats. My attitude isn't appealing to most pet lovers. It's like I'm a monster. Op, listen to your gut and don't waste your time.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 52
views on dogs living indoors
Posted: 1/10/2015 8:27:32 AM
Demid#%$ sister is posting again, lol.

Agreed this is a 'compatibility' issue and not a right vs wrong issue.

I love animals which is why I do not own one, yet.

I've met several women that couldn't control their dogs.

Jumping in my lap while I'm driving at 60mph, peeing on my carpet and the worst...licking my foot during...yeah. Exactly. Talk about a downer!

For me, a well behaved pet is fine, which usually boils down to a responsible owner.
 Deedeelogan
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/10/2015 8:58:12 AM
What I don't understand is the post from a few months ago where the OP referred to this man she'd been dating for a few months, already talking about moving in, and the issue about indoor/outdoor dogs.

In this new thread, same story, but the same poster is now referring to her and the boyfriend in the 3rd person: "they" and "her", etc. Seems kind of weird....

Not only is it a compatibility issue, but he's a control freak and a clean freak. Plus her dog is terrified of him. Kind of makes you wonder what's going on when "she" isn't watching. There was a recent Dear Abby column and you need to Google search for 15 signs of an abusive man and see how many of them he matches. Then take it from there.
 hotdogshop100
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/10/2015 9:06:18 AM
I'd suggest never having a dog then if indoor accidents offend you. Like humans, dogs sometimes can't hold it in. Humans have the convenience of an indoor toilet dogs are at the mercy of their owners taking them for a walk.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/10/2015 9:30:43 AM

What I don't understand is the post from a few months ago where the OP referred to this man she'd been dating for a few months, already talking about moving in, and the issue about indoor/outdoor dogs.

In this new thread, same story, but the same poster is now referring to her and the boyfriend in the 3rd person: "they" and "her", etc. Seems kind of weird....

Perhaps this time it's from the dogs point of view, rover is typing it
?
 theforumfiend
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/10/2015 9:34:08 AM

The issue was communicated...they talk about it endlessly, lately...since they are discussing cohabitation.
Both want kids, etc...so living together is the next step... living apart forever, will not work for either of them.
When she talked about how important this issue was to her and offered to make compromises...dog only in a specific area, dog outside during the day, etc. He was CLEAR about his feelings - NO WAY.
Her dog is afraid of him, hides and bow her head because he raises his voice around her and presents his "alpha" self in order to teach her dog that it is "HIS house"

OP, are you seriously considering having children with this uncompromising man? I'm not saying he's going to be a bad father, but parenting isn't for wimps. Seriously parents should be able to work together for the sake of their children. There will be times when one has to help keep the other in check whether the other is being too soft or too harsh. If you can't stand up for your dog what makes you think you'll be able to stand up for a child?
 aj7125
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/10/2015 9:50:05 AM
OP, maybe next time, if there is a next time, you need to be a mature adult and realize if a man isn't into inside pets, it will be an issue and probably a good idea to look elsewhere instead of "hoping" things will change. And for the man that doesn't like inside animals, if the woman you are interested in does love inside animals, you also need to be a mature adult and look elsewhere and not think the woman should change because of you.

When the two people are mature adults and don't let an issue like this ever begin, then there is never a right or wrong person as far as what they want.
 Dee4166
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2015 10:07:47 AM

That's what I said!!!! LOL

It all seems kind of strange and as though "time stopped" at some point....
 StarClassic
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/10/2015 10:14:58 AM
"OP, maybe next time, if there is a next time, you need to be a mature adult and realize if a man isn't into inside pets, it will be an issue and probably a good idea to look elsewhere instead of "hoping" things will change. And for the man that doesn't like inside animals, if the woman you are interested in does love inside animals, you also need to be a mature adult and look elsewhere and not think the woman should change because of you.

When the two people are mature adults and don't let an issue like this ever begin, then there is never a right or wrong person as far as what they want."

AJ nailed the lid on it.
Why invite someone into your home when you Know the dog is part of the deal?

OP, you need to distance yourself from this fellow. If he can't accept that your dog is part of your life he will, continually, find other things about you that are un-acceptable.
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/10/2015 10:23:19 AM
Puppy haters :(
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/10/2015 10:23:47 AM

Her dog is afraid of him, hides and bow her head because he raises his voice around her and presents his "alpha" self in order to teach her dog that it is "HIS house"

Is it okay to “vilify” this man now? However I didn’t see anyone vilifying him at all…almost all posts have been the same…they are NOT compatible. If anyone was getting razzed it was the OP for putting up with this situation for the six months since the LAST time she posted about this exact same situation.

OP, how much more time do you plan on wasting on this guy? You want to have kids, how do you think he’ll go “alpha” on them? Quit with this already. You know you are not compatible.

And by the way, what the hell are YOU doing while this azzhole is yelling at YOUR dog and scaring her??

PS. Where I live temps have been single digits with strong winds for days and nights. Any moron leaving an animal outside continuously in this IS committing animal abuse as far as I’m concerned. That is if the animal is still alive. No need to try to shame young posters out of their deserved feelings on the subject.
 Walts
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/10/2015 10:39:31 AM
I've got a little thing about "pets", animals that fit a "want/need" for humans but, if you actually decide to have one, you should be treating it as part of the family, because, it actually is. My last pet, a yellow lab, was "adopted" from a guy who was dying of cancer. When I first went over to pick the dog up for a weekend "test" run at my place, I opened the passenger door for Jake to get in, instead of the back of the truckbed. Jake instantly jumped in, and then almost as fast the owner came over and gave me a big manhug telling me, that it looked like Jake and I would be great together. I miss that silly dog.

I don't understand using a dog, and then treating it like shiat. Leaving it outside sounds like it is being used as "security", which I don't agree with.
 StarClassic
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/10/2015 11:11:44 AM
"Jake instantly jumped in, and then almost as fast the owner came over and gave me a big manhug telling me, that it looked like Jake and I would be great together."

Walts, there's a major difference between "dog people" and those who have dogs.
I have a Spinnone, my boy Lenny, along with the Dane. When I went to meet the breeder and her dogs I think the thing that impressed her most was that I immediately sat down on the floor to introduce myself to her dogs. By the time I left there were slobber marks all over my leather riding jacket. :) Her rather aged Newf left most of them there.

So far as I am concerned, dogs are pack oriented social creatures. So what if I find an extra dog when I sweep, it's detrimental (unfair) to the dog to keep them separated from their pack.
 Dee4166
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2015 11:39:53 AM

PS. Where I live temps have been single digits with strong winds for days and nights. Any moron leaving an animal outside continuously in this IS committing animal abuse as far as I’m concerned. That is if the animal is still alive. No need to try to shame young posters out of their deserved feelings on the subject.

Just to clarify...I had a dog for nine years that was also an indoor dog as that is what I prefer, myself, and I agree that even for protection, your dog is more useful being IN your house as opposed to being OUTSIDE....where the only thing he'll be protecting is your back yard...
Also...I ADORED my dog and actually MOVED several times in order to accommodate having him over the years, not sure how many folks have done that, not MANY if the numbers of animals in the shelters after moving day here in Quebec, (July 1) are anything to go by...
I also ensured that my dog was walked a MINIMUM of 2-3 hours /day, whereas most people who have dogs they profess to "love" seem to have a difficult time getting off their asses and walking their "beloved" pets at ALL...In fact, I know of several dogs, off the top of my head, who are lucky to see the outside of the backyard!!

I guess after volunteering at the SPCA and various other shelters in my area over the years...I have a difficult time reconciling a dog who is fed, watered and has a warm shelter whether indoors or out , with dogs who have been BEATEN within an inch of their lives, or who have come from a puppy mill and are CAKED in their own feces with choke chains on that have never been changed and have embedded themselves into the dog's FLESH, or how about the guy whose kid decided to stick a pencil in a horse's EYE and blinded it for Life, (dogs aren't the only animals that get "abused") or there's the female dog from a puppy mill who was FORCED to have so many litters that her uterus was virtually totally prolapsed and infected SO badly that she had to be euthanized, and I CAN go on....

So pardon me for NOT considering a dog who is fed watered, given shelter and vet care as "abused"...I personally feel that word should be reserved for situations that DESERVE it....
I guess all of those huskies who live in the North are "abused" as well...?
As my own dog "must" have been when I couldn't GET him to come inside when there was a snowstorm outside because he preferred the cool weather...and wanted to play in the snow...
While I personally think the guy is a Class "A" douche for all of the reasons that others have already mentioned here, I STILL don't believe that he is "abusive" towards his dog because the dog lives outdoors...and I think anyone would have a difficult time convincing animal control of that, too...jmo
 StarClassic
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/10/2015 12:13:21 PM
I totally agree Dee. I had a Norwegian Elkhound years ago. My boy Merlin would stay out or come in as he pleased. Wasn't a thing to him to sleep on the snow covered front porch or out in the rain even with an insulated dog house available.
I sure miss that furkid.
 Della D
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/10/2015 1:16:58 PM
If the dog issue should actually be the only one in the relationship, then why pushing the "moving in" part of it?

How about each keeping their own place so both of you can keep your dog the way you see fit?
 ladyc4
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/10/2015 2:37:37 PM
I just don't think this relationship is going to work.
Some dogs ARE better outdoors. Some can be in and out, some dogs belong indoors. I've had all kinds.

But for these 2 people to be so at odds over the care and housing of dogs, I see BIG trouble over the raisning of kids.
And yes, this guy does sound like a clean freak and a control freak. Sometimes such people do manage to get ver themselves and be good partners and parents, but a lot of times they DON'T. So you have a household&family always under stress.
I think the relationship needs to end and the 2 people involved(and their dogs) should find partners that are on the same page.
Cindy O
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/10/2015 5:51:19 PM

PS. Where I live temps have been single digits with strong winds for days and nights. Any moron leaving an animal outside continuously in this IS committing animal abuse as far as I’m concerned. That is if the animal is still alive. No need to try to shame young posters out of their deserved feelings on the subject..

Bringing a Working Dog inside that has acclimated to the outside weather would also be abuse, when it was taken back outside to Work. Breeds of Dogs that have a Winter Coat can start to shed that Winter Coat if kept in a 70-80 degree Fahrenheit House. It's better for them to stay outside with adequate food, water, & shelter. Which would be crueler to a team of Sled Dogs in Alaska? To stay outside or be brought into a Hot House & then taken back outside to Pull the Sled?
 SunshineGirl__
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/10/2015 6:17:37 PM
I’m sure all the dog owners on this thread who keep/kept dogs outside wouldn’t consider it abuse. I posted in response to a young woman posting HER opinion and getting grief for it.

Dee, I used to enjoy your posts until you decided you had to be the ultimate authority on virtually EVERY subject posted on here.

If any of you doubt how bitterly cold it is, come on over and sit your bare azz on the frozen ground overnight like a dog and then tell me it isn’t abusive if you’re still breathing.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/10/2015 7:00:24 PM
Some dogs are outdoor dogs, some are inside dogs. Those that live in the colder areas and have outside dogs generally, if not always, have a kennel or dog house of some sort for their dogs. I don't know of any dog owner that lets their dog sleep on the cold frozen ground, they use blankets, hay and other insulation. And outside dog is just as loved and taken care of as an inside dog...they are part of the family.

The OP is not going to "win" this one and it's not because he's a xo tell freak...they have differing opinions on animals. She can kennel her dog at night at his house or keep her own residence. It's sort of a saw-off....some think he's a control freak, I thinking she has no balls. Indoubt this will work.

I have friends that don't think Yorkies and such are "real" dogs and would never own one, they want a Sheperd or something like that and keep it as an outside dog. Others love their Yorkie type inside dogs and don't like the big breeds. To each their own, I have a cat.
 phinatic14
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/10/2015 10:02:09 PM
Ok,

Straight up; if this punk was standing in front of me right now I'd beat his @$$. A dog should NEVER, under any circumstances life completely outside. Does he think he's doing the poor pooch a favor by heating the shed. The shed my grass cutter is in is heated too. This punk has no business owning a dog, and if this girl is dumb enough to even entertain the idea of dating/living with a guy who won't even let his dog in the house, she's a real piece of work and is obviously desperate. I'm more then willing to let my dog walk all over me daily. Sometimes I have to sleep on the floor because he's occupying my bed. Every day with his is a gift from God. Tell this girl to think of the dog. If it came down to Bailey or some gorgeous girl who wanted to move in and have all the sex I wanted if I got rid of Bailey, this chick would be out the door. Yeah, I love my dog.
 hotdogshop100
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/10/2015 10:17:02 PM
Phin

I agree with you completely. My 2 dogs sleep on my sofa and eat grain free healthy. They are a joy to have.

Secondly this isn't even a compatibility issue the guy is a complete controlling azzhole. Who in the hell would be compatible with it except a doormat?
 lifeisgrand5
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2015 2:17:51 AM
My dogs are my children. Standard poodles do not shed. I keep them clean and groomed. My older poodle is a therapy dog and together we bring joy to the patients at the hospital. My dogs are well behaved and do not tear things up.

In my opinion the lady should find someone different to be with. They are not a match. If I find a life partner they are going to need to accept my dogs.

Dogs are wonderful , they give 24/7 unconditional love.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2015 2:50:56 AM
No compromise on either part over a dog means other issues down the line that can't be worked out either.

Dee4166
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2015 3:32:10 AM

Dee, I used to enjoy your posts until you decided you had to be the ultimate authority on virtually EVERY subject posted on here.

So sorry to disappoint, there Sunshine, not sure how I am an "authority on EVERY subject" or what the personal slam has to do with the topic at hand....
I have worked and volunteered at a number of animal shelters and have seen REAL animal abuse, as I said...so yes, I DO think it's TOTAL BS to be calling that abuse not to mention unwarranted...regardless of WHO says it...last I checked this forum is for OPINIONS...but then again, I guess that means only the ones that the people that you "approve of", post???

I ALSO find it interesting that you are SO quick to defend the young poster in question after calling her question "idiotic" and "stupid" in the other thread that she started...

Yeah that's just nasty imo, and thank goodness that I don't live for YOUR approval...

Have a nice day...
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > views on dogs living indoors