Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > views on dogs living indoors      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 purplerider1200
Msg: 193
view profile
History
views on dogs living indoorsPage 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
My three live inside. Over the years of dealing with customers, the ones that have no critters are harder to deal with. (And more likely to NOT pay me.) I'd rather be around pet owners. They are more compassionate, and understanding. And adds a conversation point.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 194
views on dogs living indoors
Posted: 4/25/2015 4:31:54 PM

Is this a fundamental difference between two people, that makes them incompatible?

I think so, yes. Both parties think the other person should make the concession. They are both right, and yet they are both wrong.

Is she selfish/foolish for considering leaving the relationship?

Nope. He isn't foolish or selfish either. Lots of folks simply don't like animals in the house.

Neither person is willing to "give in" ....is this relationship at dead end?

IME, pets can be a VERY divisive subject. It's too bad the parties didn't think about this early in the relationship. Or perhaps they did, and each assumed the other would "cave".
 newoldgirl
Msg: 195
Posted: 4/25/2015 4:39:59 PM

' I'd rather be around pet owners. They are more compassionate, and understanding.

That is a commonly held belief particular to pet owners. It is also complete BS.

One pet lover actually told me that if you have never owned a dog, you have never known true love. WTF! What kind of person says that to someone who is a mother?
 SLAFFA
Msg: 196
Posted: 4/25/2015 5:18:44 PM
Man's Best Friend?

TRUE!

And I find it ironic that men are often referred to as dogs and that only [?] women are referred to as being "catty".

If only more women had some of the qualities that "many" dogs possess...

I supposed most female dog lovers are likely to have the same opinion about men?
 purplerider1200
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2015 6:05:17 PM
That is a commonly held belief particular to pet owners. It is also complete BS.
.........................................................................................................................
Since my life experiences have shown me that, I'll stick to my own conclusions.
 63T
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2015 6:28:48 PM
Forumgirl519;

Is this a fundamental difference between two people, that makes them incompatible?

The situation with the dogs is not the cause of incompatibility but an object of his heightened anxiety. It is his anxiety that will require attention. He may have an overactive amygdala.

Is she selfish/foolish for considering leaving the relationship?

Both will need to recognize that he suffers from heightened anxiety surrounding his perception of "dirty" and "gross" and "disrespected". He is apprehensive at a perceived threat or fear that the dogs (living indoors) evoke. This may require third party intervention. If neither are unwilling or unable to prepare for this, then it may be prudent to consider other options.

Neither person is willing to "give in" ....is this relationship at dead end?

This is not entirely true. He did attempt to compromise. However, when his anxiety reached a very high level, he succumbed to the anxiety. This is counterproductive to overcoming anxiety and it only reinforces the avoidance behaviour, "he recently decided that her dog will NOT be allowed into his home, under any circumstance".

In order to resolve, he will need to elevate his level of anxiety and then stay with it until it subsides, naturally.
This will need to be repeated many times until his level of anxiety is tolerable or non-existent. May be very difficult to achieve without intervention (CBT) from a qualified therapist.

Hope this helps
 platypus_man
Msg: 199
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2015 1:12:23 PM
When I was a kid, we had a dog. A nice, friendly dog. Who generally stayed off the furniture, but we would catch her on the sofa when we came home sometimes. And I remember distinctly the smell of her feces on the pillow. You couldn't see it. But the smell was distinctive. Mom would also, on occasion, find the dog on the beds, too. Since then, I don't want a dog in the house. Say whatever you want. Animals will get their germs all over the place; remember they lick their a$$es. So whenever one licks you, you know what's on you. And if your dog is your buddy and is all over you? You're covered with it. Food for thought.
 Maleman999
Msg: 200
Posted: 5/5/2015 5:32:23 PM

My view on dogs living indoors? Fleas..........

On you or the dog? There is flea treatment available. If you found out you had bed bugs, would you sleep outside from that point on?
 daynadaze
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2015 5:43:58 PM
You know how to get feces all over your towels, toothbrushes, cups, combs, brushes, rugs, bathtub/shower, counter, doorknob? Flush your toilet. You how to get a load of it all over the bathroom, flush the toilet with the lid up. Your dog drinks out of there too, if you leave the lid up. Not to mention that people are covered in germs and dirt and fecal matter, and some people don't even wash their hands, then again, you'll be touching the soap, the faucet, the towel, the doorknob, all covered in your own and other house members fecal matter when you do wash your hands.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 202
Posted: 5/5/2015 6:04:39 PM
daynadaze- So true,
I found an article that says that dogs and humans both have germs, but the REAL reason I'm sharing it is that there is a picture of a dog with the article that looks exactly like my beloved Groucho.
http://www.livescience.com/32342-is-a-dogs-mouth-cleaner-than-a-humans.html
My dog isn't going anywhere.
Any man I meet that could see how much I love this dog and then ask me to put him outside isn't for me.
 shirleywonton01
Msg: 203
Posted: 5/5/2015 7:30:03 PM
I just got 2 rescues, littermate sisters, they were dumped off here actually. Adorable however one loves to eat and roll in the neighbors cat poop. You can see it on her, if you haven't already smelled it when she walked in. Nope they are outside dogs now. Such habits are too disgusting to bring in the house. I did some research and it's pretty common for dogs to eat cat poop. It's also common for humans to get parasites from dogs. I don't care what anyone says....dogs and cats belong outside if you want to maintain cleanliness and avoid excessive parasite invasions. Very very few homes where the dogs live inside don't smell horrible. The humans get used to it over time and are oblivious that their house smells like a kennel.
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 204
Posted: 5/5/2015 8:33:21 PM
^^^
When dogs eat poop it is because the owner do not feed them well.
Some dog owners only feed their dog a cup or 2 of dry food a day. they do measure the dogs food. IMO thats animal abuse.Their dogs are always very hungry, and because they have the instinct of surviving, they get accustomed to eating their own or other animals excrement.

My daughter's boyfriend have a dog ( smart sweet female Border Collie) and he bought a big plastic dog feeder.His dog eats whenever she wants and the amount she wants, and because of that, his dog is not mischievous, Neither she tries to find food in the garbage tank.
I do like this young man for my daughter, because I know he is an animal lover and I see the way he treats his dog. His dog seems so happy, I do not like people who doesn't like animals. I told my daughter that.!

The man's best friend should live inside the house. He will not get dirty that much if he lives inside.
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 205
Posted: 5/5/2015 8:52:11 PM
I'm an animal lover too. If your pillow regularly smells like dog feces, then you are not keeping your dog or your house very clean. I've had dogs all my life, from large breeds to small ones. Our house never smelled like dogs. They were all trained to go outside, and the yard was cleaned regularly. If it was wet outside, their feet were cleaned when they walked in the door.

I now for the first time in my life have cats. The litter boxes are cleaned a minimum of twice daily, they are strictly indoor cats (but have lots of windows for birdwatching, sunning, and fresh air), they get high quality food, they are brushed regularly, and the litter boxes are far away from the living area (other than my partially blind one who is profoundly attached to me and terrified of the entire world, and sleeps with me during the night - her litter box is in my bedroom bathroom, and cleaned about 3-4 times a day). There are no litter boxes on the main floor of my house. My partially blind cat sleeps on my bed, and my bed does not smell like cat, but rather my cat usually smells like fabric softener.

Animals do take time, effort and money to look after them, but the benefits of having pets is something I don't think I could do without.

What's the point of having an animal if you're just going to leave it outside?
 shirleywonton01
Msg: 206
Posted: 5/5/2015 11:06:04 PM
No matter how well you feed and clean rescue dogs, old habits take a while if forever to change to normal. I can't imagine keeping an animal indoors only. Did so in the past, a rescued cat in an apartment for a year. That cat was so happy when we moved into a house with a back yard, like she turned into a different creature. I didn't realize until then how depressing it had been for her to be an indoor prisoner. Birds in cages is another sick situation. People who keep animals in small quarters should try it themselves. Lock themselves up for a year in the house and see what it feels like.
 daynadaze
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2015 8:38:59 AM
What I can't stand is seeing dogs in crates. Usually crates too small for the animal, I guess it keeps them calmer, but it makes me feel nauseated. Most dogs do need to go out and run like the wind, but that doesn't mean they have to live outside in all the elements, that's cruel. It's just plain too hot here for that, and our yards are rock, hot rocks and your dog's paws is an abusive situation. But you actually don't see it that much here, most dogs are only out for part of the morning or evening, we don't have a lot of trees, there's really not much shade in most yards here. Pets are not feral, they aren't living & dying in the wild, you take a pet as a domesticated animal, it's your job as the pet's owner to keep it healthy and happy and well cared for. If you don't like indoor pets, that's your business, but also don't own pets that need more than being outside. It's expensive to have all the proper outdoor equipment for a dog to be outside, make sure you take that into consideration. A bowl of water, a bowl of food and a rug or a small cheap doghouse is not right. I've also seen way too many dogs who don't get the attention they deserve, I don't know how people can be so cruel to animals, if you don't have the proper way to care for them, don't take them home.

BTW, I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, just my opinion based on what I've seen. I am just sickened by bad pet owners and the uncalled for abuse so many animals, so often dogs, that goes on.
 CharminC
Msg: 208
Posted: 5/6/2015 8:52:09 AM

Usually crates too small for the animal, I guess it keeps them calmer

I could never understand this kind of thinking. It makes NO sense!
Would you be calm trapped in crate for however long the owner leaves you there?
Hell no, I'd ripped every corner of the house once I have the chance.

In my line of work, I've met alot of dogs. The ones crated were uncontrollable while the ones who were free, were well behaved.
And here's a funny thing, the crated ones had, aside from dog hair everywhere, messier homes than the ones who roamed free. Figure that one out.

Every animal I've known or owned are calm because they've had their exercise, their fun, are well loved and are TRAINED.
All my dog which were large ones, a rotti/springer spaniel, lab/chow and pitbulll/lab, responded to hand gestures. I expected no less from them and never had to crate them.
God I miss them *sigh
That said... Bama , your Groucho is ADORABLE!!
 Maleman999
Msg: 209
Posted: 5/6/2015 9:23:59 AM

. I can't imagine keeping an animal indoors only. Did so in the past, a rescued cat in an apartment for a year. That cat was so happy when we moved into a house with a back yard, like she turned into a different creature.

My cat is the exact opposite. She was a stray kitten when I got her, and any time I attempt to take her outside, she fights to avoid going outside. On the odd occasion when I was able to carry her out into the backyard or on the front porch without having my arms totally clawed, she would wrestle to get out of my grasp and run to the door to get back inside. A friend of mine has four cats. Two of them like going outside and two never have any desire to go outside.
 newoldgirl
Msg: 210
Posted: 5/6/2015 3:12:46 PM
Pet owners will always say their house doesn't smell bad. They are the wrong people to ask, because they are used to the smell. I can almost always smell a pet (or it's poop) as soon as I step into the home.
 Maleman999
Msg: 211
Posted: 5/6/2015 3:59:52 PM
^^^The same can be said about people with babies and toddlers, and the lingering smell of dirty diapers.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 212
Posted: 5/6/2015 8:48:35 PM
CharminC- Thank you! :)
Even though I adopted him from the pound and I suspect he MIGHT be part lab and part Rottweiler, my children pointed out to me that he looks exactly like a Burmese mountain dog. I'm not going to pay for a doggie DNA test, all I care is that I love him.
It's hard for me to explain why I am so gone over this beautiful, wonderful dog.
Maybe it's because I found him ONE day before they were going to euthanize him because they couldn't place him (it was obvious, even as a puppy, that he was going to be a big dog).
Or, it might be his soulful, big brown eyes.
It could be because when I get home, I KNOW I'm going to see his big head part the curtains in the window, because mommy is home.
I have had dogs since childhood, one for fourteen years (I miss you, Molly), but this one, yep, I'm gone.
So much so that I'm a blubbering, crying mess just typing this and I don't even care.
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2015 8:38:29 PM
Here is a good story involving dishes and a dog....

Larry went to visit his 86 year old grandfather in a very rural area. After spending a great evening chatting the night away, Larry’s grandfather prepared breakfast of bacon and eggs. Larry noticed a film like substance on his place, and questioned his grandfather asking, “Are these plates clean?”

His grandfather replied, “They’re as clean as cold water can get em. Just you go ahead and finish your meal”.

For lunch the old man made hamburgers. Again, Larry was concerned about the plates as it appeared to have tiny specks around the edge that looked like dried egg and asked, “Are you sure these plates are clean?”

Without looking up the old man said, “I told you before, those dishes are as clean as cold water can get them. Now don’t you worry, I don’t want to hear another word about it”.

Later that afternoon, as he was leaving, his grandfather’s dog started to growl, and wouldn’t let him pass. Larry yelled and said, “Grandfather, your dog won’t let me get to my car”.

Without diverting his attention from the football game he was watching on TV, the old man shouted, ‘COLDWATER, GO LAY DOWN NOW, YEH HERE ME!!!”
 shirleywonton01
Msg: 214
Posted: 5/10/2015 9:26:18 PM

CharminC- Thank you! :)
Even though I adopted him from the pound and I suspect he MIGHT be part lab and part Rottweiler, my children pointed out to me that he looks exactly like a Burmese mountain dog. I'm not going to pay for a doggie DNA test, all I care is that I love him.
It's hard for me to explain why I am so gone over this beautiful, wonderful dog.
Maybe it's because I found him ONE day before they were going to euthanize him because they couldn't place him (it was obvious, even as a puppy, that he was going to be a big dog).
Or, it might be his soulful, big brown eyes.
It could be because when I get home, I KNOW I'm going to see his big head part the curtains in the window, because mommy is home.
I have had dogs since childhood, one for fourteen years (I miss you, Molly), but this one, yep, I'm gone.
So much so that I'm a blubbering, crying mess just typing this and I don't even care.

Wow, another testimony as to how the love of a dog is so amazing.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 215
Posted: 5/11/2015 8:57:17 PM
shirleywonton01- It does my heart a lot of good to see other dog lovers that understand what some see as ridiculous.
I remember one of my oldest sons friends coming over with his sons, their father (my sons friend) knew I kept him inside,but his sons didn't.
The child was AMAZED that he was inside, then his dad told him my dog sleeps with me too.
His eyes bugged out and then he rolled them, as if to say, "you are crazy lady", then he said "she's got this big, old dog in the house", lord have mercy, the WAY he said it was SO funny:D
It really is almost impossible to make people who aren't dog people GET it, but simply put, they give us as much, or more, than we give them :)
 tgif333
Msg: 216
Posted: 5/12/2015 6:32:48 AM
I've already told the story on other dog threads about my Shih Tzu Ozzy saving my life twice.
i'll see again him over the Rainbow Bridge some day.

what's great about dogs is that they don't know if you're black, white, hispanic, asian or mixed.
they don't care if you have bad breath or body odor.
as long as you feed and water them they don't care if you're rich or poor.
as long as you love them they will give 100% back to you and more.

dogs live to love.

R.I.P. Ozzy.
if a God exists He'll allow me to be with you again.
 motowncowgirl
Msg: 217
Posted: 5/12/2015 6:38:42 AM

Wow, another testimony as to how the love of a dog is so amazing.

let's hope you find a good home for yours.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > views on dogs living indoors