Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Paying for a date      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Axis555
Msg: 701
Paying for a datePage 29 of 74    (15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55)

that's a good point. I wonder if I should rethink my idea that a first meet and greet should be dutch? well, from my experience they are usually low cost affairs. but I have learned not to assume after the one I chronicled here.

Thank you Tgif. I would think it depends how much money she has and her situation. If she seems like she does not have much I feel it would be unkind for me to expect her to pay. I do like to pay to show I care about her and appreciate her.

once I know they're not using me I love to spoil my ladies too if I date them long enough. I like to treat them to shoe shopping and I've taken my dates to the nail salon for a pedicure, making sure ahead of time they can take her.

I've never been worried about being used for my money. I think I am a fairly good judge of character, I can tell when they like me for myself generally. I like to do small things to show I am being thoughtful and thinking about them :)
My last girlfriend liked the lindt chocolates, so I would surprise her after work by bringing her some home. She really loved jewellery as well so when we would go shopping I would get her some. Silver looked amazing on her and fire opals. Very beautiful and made her very happy.

we'll be doing dinner this Monday night and i'm hoping to take her out this coming weekend to shake some booty at the dance club

That sounds great Tgif, hope you and her have a nice time.

But not all female dates are broke. You'd be doing the Same thing, regardless as to whether she's low-income or solid middle-class.

Indeed :)

That's taking it for granted and Expectations hastily had, and is quite rude.

I do agree. It is true that some people, not necessarily women, are out to get what they can get but I would like to assume I
am a firm judge of character and only get to the stage of dating women who are interested in me (not my money).
 tgif111
Msg: 702
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/5/2015 7:34:41 AM
axis said:
""Thank you Tgif. I would think it depends how much money she has and her situation. If she seems like she does not have much I feel it would be unkind for me to expect her to pay. I do like to pay to show I care about her and appreciate her.""

that's true, if I know she's poor. sometimes you don't know someone's financial situation on the first meet and greet.

axis:
''''I've never been worried about being used for my money. I think I am a fairly good judge of character, I can tell when they like me for myself generally. I like to do small things to show I am being thoughtful and thinking about them :)
My last girlfriend liked the lindt chocolates, so I would surprise her after work by bringing her some home. She really loved jewellery as well so when we would go shopping I would get her some. Silver looked amazing on her and fire opals. Very beautiful and made her very happy. ''''

that is very generous of you axis. you seem like a very kind man who has intuition about women. I guess I do not and my trust has to be established over time.

''''That sounds great Tgif, hope you and her have a nice time.'''''

I see it as my obligation as a man to make sure she has a great time. since it's a dinner date we will have time to learn about each other. it's all about the conversation. It's IMPERATIVE that I listen and try to reply about her interests and what is important to HER. i'll try to refrain from spilling my guts about my "great and amazing" life! lol
I want her coming away thinking, "What a fascinating guy!! I really like him." --
when all I did was listen to her and her life!! *smiles like a fox*

axis:
''''....I would like to assume I am a firm judge of character and only get to the stage of dating women who are interested in me (not my money).''''

I wish I could do that. unfortunately I have been fooled and not all women are the same. i'm happy that you're able to be a firm judge of character but I must not have that talent and I am a teensy bit cynical to boot.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 703
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/5/2015 8:52:20 AM

If she seems like she does not have much I feel it would be unkind for me to expect her to pay. I do like to pay to show I care about her and appreciate her.

But how many truly appreciate that gesture and would return the favor if you.... wait, nevermind, if you don't have much money they're not dating you anyway.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 704
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/5/2015 9:14:33 AM
Deb, I was thinking the observatory would be cost effective, plus Tom can sip his flask while she's using the scope.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 705
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/5/2015 11:03:08 AM
I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 706
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/5/2015 11:54:40 AM

*Hands Whatsamattababy a pack of Prilosec OTC.*

I can empathize, online dating sites are not for the faint of stomach. The mental piccie of a "p*nis with sideburns" refluxed me :P

However, an observatory date is hecka cool, with the right nerdie person.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 707
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/5/2015 12:08:31 PM
Thanks, Deb. What I wouldn't do for the right nerdie person. Hold me, please.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 708
view profile
History
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/5/2015 12:28:34 PM
^ Well, the terms nerd, dork, and geek used to be derogatory. Or at least they are in junior high school. But what I figured out during those years is that the people who call others these names are the actual nerds, geeks, and dorks, in their derogatory senses. Because to do so, they are thinking of things and of people in a nonsensical way, and they are being belittling in a way that is nonsense. Trying to establish who is and isn't "cool". And any self-proclaimed group who tries to define who is or isn't socially acceptable in this manner is idiotic, and they make themselves the ones who aren't cool...

...one of the main definitions of a geek/nerd/dork (not the only intended use) is someone who is smart about something, or it is reserved for certain interests. Well, neither makes any sense. You might as well call everyone in the world by these names. Anyone who is smart about anything at all would be a geek/nerd/dork. So the terms become useless. Also, to apply these terms to a certain category of interests, likewise makes no sense. To like astronomy, or model trains, or the game of chess, or whatever else? It's really to demean those fields or imply that having those interests is dumb. And that's just really really weird.
 tgif111
Msg: 709
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/5/2015 3:14:33 PM
for myself an observatory date would be cool. I used to have a very high powered telescope that brought me so close to the moon all I saw was white. I actually had to put in a weaker glass and back away. then I could clearly see the mountains on the moon and the craters in detail.
Saturn and her rings were solid white but I could make out color on Jupiter. Mars appeared pinkish.

if you've never seen any of these objects through a powerful lens the first time is awesome, just knocks your socks off!
 clooneystutor
Msg: 710
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/5/2015 3:21:37 PM
Whatsamatta,

The scope at the Cincinnati observatory is huge.

16' long.
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 711
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/5/2015 3:30:51 PM
I think an observatory would be an excellent place to take a date. You don't even need to go to an observatory. Driving to the outskirts of the city and just looking up, trying to find the constellations, and planets is actually really fun, or, if the northern lights are out, watching the sky come to life.

From the time I was very little, astronomy fascinated me to no end. so I may have a bias.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 712
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/5/2015 8:26:48 PM

LOL. Oh, that's always hot when a date says that. I could see that being something from a Dumb & Dumber movie:

Lloyd: Oh man, my date... she's hot and on the wild side, Harry... She showed me...
Harry: Really?? How so?
Lloyd: During our date, she told me she threw up in her mouth a little bit.
Harry: What? How is that hot, Lloyd??
Lloyd: Harrrrry..... it means she's Not a spitter.... duh!

for myself an observatory date would be cool.

I think it would be too, although I would say it'd be part of a date. Just meeting there then parting ways wouldn't be... but it'd be a fun post-dinner / pre-post-drinks thing for a nice lengthy weekend date.

You don't even need to go to an observatory. Driving to the outskirts of the city and just looking up

Well, I believe that's called "makeout point" ... but sure, one could call it "the Observatory" lol
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 713
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/5/2015 8:31:06 PM

Well, I believe that's called "makeout point" ... but sure, one could call it "the Observatory" lol

You cheeky monkey!!!! That ship sailed decades ago!! lol
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 714
view profile
History
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/6/2015 2:36:28 AM
When just lying down and looking up at the night sky, I like remembering that space isn't just something that's "up there", and separate. We are inside of space, it's all around us on all sides of the ball that we're lying on, and it's just a little air that separates us from what we're looking up at.

I've done this a couple of times with people and they got freaked out for second - First, I'll explain that ^, then I'll explain "you know how there is no up or down in space? And you are just held to the Earth by gravity? Right now while you're looking up at space, since space is all around us and we are inside of it, you could also be just sticking to the very bottom of this planet and you're looking straight down into this ocean of empty space". For about one second, they'd be a bit alarmed, like they were gonna fall off or something.

Next time, try imagining things that way.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 715
view profile
History
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/6/2015 3:20:24 AM
It worked on one dude a little too well, because he'd had a little reefer. It was pretty comical. That face of his...wide eyes bulging towards the abyss...and his body...his clutching at the ground at his back...holy f-ck that was funny.
 LadyEssKay
Msg: 716
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/6/2015 7:10:23 AM

When just lying down and looking up at the night sky, I like remembering that space isn't just something that's "up there", and separate. We are inside of space, it's all around us on all sides of the ball that we're lying on, and it's just a little air that separates us from what we're looking up at.

I've done this a couple of times with people and they got freaked out for second - First, I'll explain that ^, then I'll explain "you know how there is no up or down in space? And you are just held to the Earth by gravity? Right now while you're looking up at space, since space is all around us and we are inside of it, you could also be just sticking to the very bottom of this planet and you're looking straight down into this ocean of empty space". For about one second, they'd be a bit alarmed, like they were gonna fall off or something.

Next time, try imagining things that way.

I know how the earth fits in the universe I'm one of those snoopy type girls, so I do a lot of study and stuff of things, all on my own!! I know how the solar system, including the earth, fits in our galaxy and beyond, and I know that the stars are to the east, the west...allll over the damn place outside of the earth, but despite my geographical location being at approximately the 10:00(ish) position on the planet, for me to actually see said stars, I have to put my eyes in the upright direction (meaning - if I'm in the vertical position, I have to tilt my head backwards, to put my eyes in the upward direction, and if I am in the horizontal position, I have to make sure that I'm on my back, so that my eyes are automatically in the upward direction). Hence the term "looking up".

It is an excellent reminder of just how small and insignificant we all are in the whole scheme of things. Next time, try imagining things that way. :D
 tgif111
Msg: 717
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/6/2015 7:11:14 AM

no it's called paradise by the dashboard light.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 718
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/6/2015 10:25:06 AM

The scope at the Cincinnati observatory is huge.

16' long.

Riiiiiiiiight...
 CharminC
Msg: 719
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/6/2015 10:53:34 AM
RE: The Cincinnati Observatory webpage

In 1904, the Observatory purchased a larger telescope from Cambridgeport Massachusetts, the 16 inch Alvan Clark and Sons refractor, and built another building on the campus. The older telescope from Munich moved into the new building and the newer telescope from Massachusetts went into operation in the old building.

Following World War II, the Cincinnati Observatory remained active due to the efforts of one of its directors, Dr. Paul Herget. Herget became one of the pioneers of the use of electronic computing machines for astronomical calculations. The International Astronomical Union Minor Planet Center was housed at the Cincinnati Observatory under the directorship of Herget from 1947 until his retirement in 1978.

In 1979 the Observatory formally became part of the Physics Department of the University of Cincinnati. The Observatory continued to be used for public education as well as for research by graduate students and others at the University of Cincinnati.

Yes... I am bored. *twiddles thumbs*
No work, no kids. Everyone is busy and I've already gone for a walk. I have ruddy cheeks!
Carry on people
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 720
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/6/2015 10:56:33 AM
Charmin: You're freaking adorable :)
 CharminC
Msg: 721
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/6/2015 11:02:01 AM
Oh baby.. you make me blush
*turns all shades of red*

aw shucks
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 722
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/6/2015 11:07:56 AM

In 1904, the Observatory purchased a larger telescope from Cambridgeport Massachusetts, the 16 inch Alvan Clark and Sons refractor,

Ahhhh, 16 inches, not 16 feet as previously claimed. Yeah, that's nothing. 16 inches is great for gals here on earth (and makes up for splitting the bill, as I assume that'd also split the female)... but for the cosmos? Mother Nature needs her 16 feet of loving, as the size of the tube was previously claimed.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 723
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/6/2015 1:16:41 PM
Duly noted Charmin, thanks.

I guess the viewing experience won't take as long...
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 724
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/6/2015 3:17:00 PM

Right now while you're looking up at space, since space is all around us and we are inside of it, you could also be just sticking to the very bottom of this planet and you're looking straight down into this ocean of empty space".

Come on, if you REALLY want to show your nerd you point out that our entire solar system is almost completely on its side compared to the galaxy. If you could see the milky way (assuming you're anywhere but the US) you're looking sideways.

Yeah, I'm that bored.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 725
view profile
History
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/6/2015 4:08:50 PM
^ Oh. Sorry. I'm not nerd enough. But hey, it wouldn't mess with someone's head for those 4 comical seconds if they were just looking sideways. They have to look down, with nothing holding on to them when they're on the "bottom"' of our planet. Till they remember about gravity.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Paying for a date