Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Paying for a date      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 826
Paying for a datePage 34 of 73    (33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73)

Also I find it sad and stupid if a 2 dollar cup of coffee IS considered “dating”….. No go for me. I can pop in for a coffee on my own or with a friend, and hardly would consider a lameo sad sack at coffee a “date” whether he tosses his dusty change he dug out of someone’s couch cushions on the counter or not…then go home and cry or post on here about how you’re always friend zoned because you don’t know how to date. (General “you.”)

The guys who do know how are getting dates.

And they're also the ones that are always broke.

I know how to date, but I also know how to not be used for a free meal.

This goes both ways. It's equally as cheap to just assume that the other person is going to pay for you, and then have a problem when they don't. Why should he pay for you and then get the disappearing act from you?

But thank your fellow women. Maybe if dating didn't become such a huge waste of money because everyone has to date a different person every night, more guys would be willing to just pick up the bill every time.

Now, I'll buy you that $2 cup of coffee... But there's 2 words that come after that are going to play a big part in my decision on if there's going to be a second.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 827
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/18/2015 4:09:19 PM
^ Two words... "F*ck me"?
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 828
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/18/2015 4:44:55 PM
^^^^^

Now that's funny!!

I was thinking ....see ya! or.....you loser!
 Ouija2025
Msg: 829
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/18/2015 4:46:20 PM
^^^ quite possibly the funniest thing I have read on the forums.
Trucker - you are a handsome Man, go on dates, stop worrying about who pays for what..
You smoke, you spend more on them anyhow.
Everyone so caught up on who pays for a java
Surprising we ever reproduce. Mortals,, never will understand them
 cooldog65
Msg: 830
view profile
History
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/18/2015 7:25:47 PM
rockin-trucker82...
Now, I'll buy you that $2 cup of coffee... But there's 2 words that come after that are going to play a big part in my decision on if there's going to be a second.

I'm guessing "Thank you"?

Ladies...Coffee is on me!
 clooneystutor
Msg: 831
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/18/2015 8:02:14 PM
Wine, Cheetos and scented candles here.

Ok, ok. I'll throw on a Netlfix original. Daredevil.

I'll even leave the front door unlocked.

You can bolt whenever you want :)
 Dee4166
Msg: 832
view profile
History
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 1:30:39 AM
^^^^^^

Change that movie to Dogma or Reservoir Dogs and I'm THERE!!! lol

Apparently I now have ALL the time in the world, on my hands, and could use a vacation.....lol
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 833
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 6:26:54 AM
I wonder why most people here in the forums decides to do the first meet in a coffee place. Is it because it is the cheapest place?
Many people (I am one) DO NOT drink / like coffee.!!

I do not believe that young people or younger generation accept to first meet in a coffee place.

In my time, when I was dating, the man always invited to an ice cream place, and still I think Ice cream place for first meet is traditional in other countries like mine.

A coffee place to do first meet, sounds.... YUCK.!!!!...boring and old.
Not romantic at all.!
Ice Cream place is romantic and also cheap, now you know.!!
 Maleman999
Msg: 834
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 6:38:29 AM
^^^Then the big controversy and argument would be: Who pays for the ice cream?
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 835
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 6:39:50 AM
^^^^^^
THE MAN of course.!!

And there should be NO argument for a cup of Ice Cream.!

CrookCatcher
Msg: 836
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 6:46:22 AM

Ice Cream place is romantic and also cheap, now you know.!!

To be honest I never thought of Baskin Robbins that way.....

As far as cheap, avoid Cold Stone Creamery.

I believe the reference to a "coffee meet" was just suggesting someplace inexpensive. Not that I personally would go that route due to the fact that if I fancy someone enough to ask them out I'm at least going to suggest something decent even if it costs 30 or 40 dollars heck up to a 100 or so if I'm smitten. I'm not going go into debt consolidation program over it if it doesn't pan out. And anyone who squeals over a couple of bucks for whatever then they really should'nt be asking people out in the first place. JMO
 slowitalldown
Msg: 837
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 7:03:58 AM
I'd prefer a cup of coffee thanks. I don't eat ice cream.

You can get any kind of beverage at a coffee shop. It's an easy place to meet. Many times I will suggest meeting at a place like ikea, or Home Depot etc. There is no need to spend any money at all. In the nice weather a dog park works also, it's very public and my dog is there to protect me! Bonus would be I get to find out right away what she thinks of the guy, and if conversation is awkward, well dogs are good ice breakers.

I really don't want to assume anyone is going to pay for anything for me, but it's also very hard to decline politely when a guy says, no. No this is on me. I always offer to get th next cup, or drink.

The guy I am seeing now seems to automatically pay when we go out, and he tends to make it a date when we do. On The other hand, we have popped out for a quick meal unplanned, and I just said, I'm getting this, he said thank you, end of discussion. We both cook meals for each other as well., more at my place than his (mostly because I'm lazy , lol) and I make sure to have steaks etc in my freezer. It's early days anyway.

Evidence notwithstanding, some men will insist that women are meal and coffee whores, and some women will insist that men who don't want to buy them a cup of coffee are cheap and stingy. They really shouldnt be datng each other IMO.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 838
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 7:42:51 AM
Nothing whipped, blended, frozen or larger then a medium.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 839
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 7:51:56 AM
/\/\/\ - You're talking about the coffee, or the date?
 nhtds231
Msg: 840
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 9:49:10 AM
Ice Cream dates are romantic, really? I guess there is something romantic about watching a woman lick an Ice Cream Cone.

I refuse to pay for anything bigger then a small. I don't want her to get her expectations up!!!
 Blackwood85
Msg: 841
view profile
History
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 10:32:15 AM
An ice cream on a nice hot summer day sounds pretty nice actually, coffee is so unoriginal, it's like an dinner and a movie for a first date. Yea it's cheap but hell meeting up at a park is free, if your city has a nice downtown area just walking around and enjoying the atmosphere is nice.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 842
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 11:00:18 AM
I am convinced there are many that do not understand "coffee meet" is a catchall euphemism for style of a date.
 Eekitsthebug
Msg: 843
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 11:42:05 AM
Too funny Eric. The coffee date is just one suggestion for a way to meet someone from online. It's cheap, easy to escape (if necessary) and easy to extend (if desired) all while seeing if the person looks anything like their picture and knows how to behave in public.
 kj521
Msg: 844
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 12:43:04 PM
Not for me.... Eric and Ms. Bug.....I take my coffee dates rather serious.

I have found you can tell a lot about a person by what coffee or tea they order.

And I can tell you I found out the hard way that this....venti iced vanilla red eye with breve is not a match with a.... tall skinny decaf soy latte with non fat whip!

But now I know.....and there are so many other combinations to try!

Happy coffee dates to all! :D
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 845
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 1:03:58 PM

I have found you can tell a lot about a person by what coffee or tea they order.

The whole point is not what they order, or where you decide to meet. It's about seeing the person in the flesh and how they react in a public environment. People change up stuff all the time. A new date in a new environment may mean they are willing to take a chance and order something outside 'the usual'.

And I can tell you I found out the hard way that this....venti iced vanilla red eye with breve is not a match with a.... tall skinny decaf soy latte with non fat whip!

I'm more concerned with people that blow a gasket because the whipped cream was regular instead of non-fat. If you want to make an ass of yourself over 60 calories, go for it! It's the BEHAVIOR that means something, not specifically what they want to drink or eat. If people are jerks to the servers, or nitpick every little detail of what they order, it's a serious sign of insecurity or a lack of trust. You're not going to die from switching to decaf - but if you can't control your impulses to be an ass, maybe you should...

I believe people that over analyze meal choices as some sort of subliminal message are also the ones that do those stupid bogus Q&A surveys in Facebook that tell them which cartoon character they could date - and believe it.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 846
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 1:21:57 PM

I just get orange pekoe/black. Sometimes I bring my own tea bag to throw in because restaurant tea often sucks because they buy in bulk the crappy single cup bags, yet serve it a two cup pot so it's like drinking warm orange water.

That's frightening to think what that says about me. :)

Hey, I'm picky about my tea.
 Kay9876
Msg: 847
view profile
History
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 1:35:16 PM

Msg. 865: Ice Cream dates are romantic, really?

I have a platonic male friend who likes to go with me to the ice cream shop near the river. We'll each get our favorite flavor and then sit by the river listening to the waves lap up on the shore. Sometimes, the sun warms our faces in just the right way. Barges and boats float by. Time stands still.

Every single time, I think to myself, "What would I give to be here with a romantic kind of male friend? ... Just about anything in the world."

P.S. I’m so glad to have a friend who enjoys little pleasures with me.

kj521
Msg: 848
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 1:36:35 PM
"I believe people that over analyze meal choices as some sort of subliminal message are also the ones that do those stupid bogus Q&A surveys in Facebook that tell them which cartoon character they could date - and believe it."

Oooooh.....I didn't know Facebook had such fabulous features! I have to check that out. Everybody needs to know what cartoon character they would be compatible with.....don't they? :)

Ms. Alli ?

It says.....you are a lady of great style and distinction! OK.....the hat may be saying that, also. :)
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 849
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 1:37:25 PM
LadyEss,

But I still maintain, that if the cost of a cup of coffee renders this much angst and analysis from someone, man or woman, even though they in principle, shouldn't have to pay for it, then they shouldn't be dating.

I agree. If a woman gets upset that they guy didn't step forward to pay for her coffee at the register -- and has even a little angst or it affects her liking about him (or lack thereof) -- then she shouldn't be dating. And if a guy gets equally irked when he sees a gal positioning herself for him to pay for her coffee when he didn't ask to Take her out on this meetup/date, then yeah, he shouldn't be dating either.

I will say the two are a bit different though. In both examples, the gal is expecting to be paid for when he didn't ask to Take her out. It being a 'coffee date', it's obviously not a financial issue but a conceptual issue. The guy being turned off by that, IMO, would be a bit too hasty to believe she's expecting a guy to always pay for everything as an Entitlement. She could just be thinking "I'll let him pay for this to run thru the motions of a 'date'... after all, it's just a coffee date; it breaks nobody's wallet in what could end up being nothing between us in the near future anyway, so no real loss," while also being a gal who Prefers to do the contribution method in dating in general (guy gets dinner bill; she gets tip and buys them both a drink after, etc).

This goes both ways. It's equally as cheap to just assume that the other person is going to pay for you, and then have a problem when they don't. Why should he pay for you and then get the disappearing act from you?

When it's something more than a coffee date, I agree. I think women who have the Entitlement problem see it as the guy being the Contestant to prove himself to her, and she being the panel of judges. As long as it's like that -- a 1-way street -- when it comes to paying, that's also going to be a 1-way street. "Why should I pay for anything? Why should I pay for your entree fee to be on stage as the contestant? If decide you're not right, what do you want me to do? Lead you on for a while, or even go out on another date not liking you? Will that get you your money back? No."
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 850
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/19/2015 1:57:46 PM
Heh. Thank you kj :)

and Kay, totally agree. I look at it like we're enjoying something that makes us both happy. Sharing that positive time.
I mean, who doesn't get that shot of happiness when you get the first taste of delicious icecream.
I like going to a local restaurant for cake and tea once in a while, sometimes I'll invite someone I meet to join me.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Paying for a date