Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Paying for a date      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 926
Paying for a datePage 38 of 74    (34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74)
I read most of what that thread was about and there is a factor about coupons that was not mentioned.

I'm an avid groupon fanatic, I love a deal, especially for a place I'm yet to visit, for which the experience is uncertain. However, I would not take my boss out on a groupon/coupon thing. I would take my mom, my sister, my friends out on it because most deals are for two, and I'm not going to have double portions, if the experience is awful, I know they'll forgive me, lol. Many times, when I ask them out to redeem a groupon (for something I know they like), they'll offer to take care of tax and tip. I purely use groupons/coupons for new experiences, if I like the place, I'll go back another time.

The thing about coupons/groupons is that they are limiting, the deal is usually for a specific dollar price point, a restricted menu, a specific meal, specific drinks, etc. I would not take a date on a groupon/coupon unless discussed in advance, as I wouldn't want to meet someone and then limit them as to what they can have, just to fulfill the deal. It's sort of controlling.

In NYC, these groupon/coupons are a double edged sword, it could cause for you to have an awful experience:

1. By being discriminated upon by the waitstaff (because their tip is jeopardized, and using a groupon/coupon often means they will also cheapen the tip). Even the deal itself suggest that you leave a generous tip based on the value of the service, not the value of the coupon. They are also under the impression you will not order anything that exceeds the deal, so there is no "add-on" to take advantage of.

2. Some restaurants have special sections for people using groupons/coupons, and they are usually not the best seating in the place. They may also make a menu customized for those using groupon/coupons.

3. The restaurant may be promoting a groupon/coupon deal because they either just opened the business, and need the clientele, or their current business is doing awful and they want to get money fast, by enticing people with a deal (which won't stand up to it's value).

4. Some businesses promote deals for the specific time frame of the year in which they don't get a lot of business. There's also the possibility that they plan to close the business, so they are trying to get a healthy money injection prior to closing.

Businesses that are solid, have business all year round, are usually busy, and their food is phenomenal (and affordable), don't need to make use of groupon/coupons.

I haven't had the fortune of someone suggesting a place for which I already have a groupon/coupon lined up, so that I mention I have a deal for that specific place, so we can use it. I'm not going to suggest the place just because I have a deal to it, I don't want to limit someone to a venue just for a coupon, then he'll feel like he HAS to, instead of going somewhere we both agree (with no added pressure).

I think I've written about Mr. Groupon date, about 2-3 years ago. So I agreed to a date, at first he proposed an extravagant date which I declined, then he proposed museum and dinner afterward. So he picks me up in a piece of sh*t car that looks very sporty on the outside and sounds like crap on the inside, it had a cassette player (anybody remember that?), and he was not a good driver (he was not intoxicated). He even had a GPS device, like the first generation of it, which would compliment him in a darth vader voice, lol, it was ridiculous. We arrive to Times Square, chose a lot to park the car ($$$), we go to museum and he pulls out a groupon for admittance. Fine, the museum was amazing, fun, colorful, had a lot of medieval torture features which I totally loved, etc. All throughout venturing in the museum, he looks bored, with a long face, is not curious about anything in there, doesn't want to read anything, does not find anything amusing, etc. Dragging a dead body through the museum would have been more amusing.

So I relieve him of the torture of doing something he clearly did not enjoy, and obviously did because I like museums. He then tells me that we have reservations to a restaurant nearby. The reservation was an hour away, and I saw my favorite ice cream parlor (Coldstone Creamery), and I let him know that I'm going to make a pit stop to get a scoop, and he accompanied me. While we are about to check out, he sorta scoffed in my direction and said "you're not expecting me to pay for this right?" or something like that, and the gentleman behind him overheard it. The gentleman immediately gestured to pay for my ice cream with an undignified face at the whole turn of events, but my date intervened (as he felt his manhood was somewhat in questioned) and he paid for it, huffing and puffing, but paid for it.

Things had already started sketchy.........sh*tty, but this really put a dent into it. At the restaurant......the hostess was cold as ice (it's a Russian Restaurant, it's normal), we get seated all the way to the back, behind the last partition, right next to the double doors to the kitchen. The decor of the restaurant was spectacular, truly out of this world, very Victorian-like. He pulls out another groupon and the groupon is for a seafood tower, when I asked if I could have cranberry juice, he always had a heart attack that it wasn't included in the deal, and the waiter had to correct him and tell him the deal includes two drinks. I guess he was planning to go thirsty if not included in the deal, lmao. The "seafood tower" was merely a plate raised on metal stands, with oysters, shrimps, a lobster tail, and about 1/4 cup of crab meat. It looked like an appetizer for 1. He proceeded to eat all of the shrimp and informed me that he doesn't like oysters so I could have them, needless to say, I was still hungry (not because he ate the shrimp, but because the portion was small even for a single person). The seafood was not fresh, it was like frozen/re-frozen and thawed seafood. I'm not kidding, yelp Firebird.

We went to retrieve the car and starts throwing a hissy fit that parking was about $30 or so for a span of less than 2 hours (it's Time Square, what did he expect?). All in all he spent a little over $100 on both groupons. I can come up with so many other things we could have done with less than $100. It's NYC and all, but there are museums that have free days, evenings, or weekends, and places which sell amazing food for very little money, like halal food trucks, Waffles and Dinges, dumplings, tacos, Hot Dogs, etc. If the issue is money, then one needs to be resourceful, not spend to impress (which didn't turn out well anyways in this episode). His conduct around spending money was extremely distasteful.

F*ck coupons on first dates, come strong or don't come at all.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 927
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/23/2015 1:41:55 PM

In my story about the gentleman (msg. 939), the two-for-$x request wasn’t a casual case of a man noticing a menu and saying, “This looks good.” He asked the waitress to bring the two-for-$x menu, and then handed it to me. His words said, “Order whatever you want,” and his behavior said, “Order from the two-for-$x menu.” His behavior went beyond my general point.

Nothing's wrong with asking for the 2-for-1 menu, or at Applebees, asking for the 2-dinners for $20 sub-menu either, when they're Missing and supposed to be on the table. Nor is there nothing wrong with looking at the big pizza selection where you split those. The issue is, what you point out, his AND her Execution of it -- or more importantly lack thereof. It's not hard.

You don't just say "What do you like on your pizza? I'm thinking [pepporoni]..." assuming you're going to be splitting a pizza, when that's just part of the menu or a sub-menu. When you're out with a FRIEND, all the same rules apply! It's not awkward to say, "Oh were you wanting us to just split a pizza / order from the 2-for menu / order for the 2-dinner-for-$20 menu?" How is that awkward or weird to ask IF something's vague? With that said, the other person shouldn't be vague if they reach out and make it apparent they're eye-balling one of those. They should Ask first.. like "What do you think about splitting a pizza?" or "Let me know if anything looks good for you on the 2-for menu, I'll try and accomodate..." That's all he/she has to say, too. It's easy-peasy. It requires no "dating for a while" at all. IF after asking a question on whether they were Aiming to do a split pizza/menu thing, and they convey too strongly essentially a "yeah" in how they come across -- YES, that is rude. It'd take dating for a while to NIX them on that, when they are so strong on that.

But my point is, if coupon/gift-cert isn't an issue and there's no thoughts of cheapness, all one has to do is not Push for usage of it, and everything's Fine! :) If no pushing's required for it to be awkward for someone -- then they better re-think on whether it's truly not a 'cheap' issue... as it's easy-peasy to opt Not to split a pizza (or share a sub-menu) if they're not pushing it.

1. By being discriminated upon by the waitstaff (because their tip is jeopardized, and using a groupon/coupon often means they will also cheapen the tip).

So using a gift certificate or other form of paper giving a discount or freebies is going to piss them off? I was a waiter -- didn't for me, unless they were old people (ie looked cheap). A lot of times, it's Great. Because they're going to leave you a bigger tip %-wise. I've done that Both ways.

I've never used Groupons though. But essentially using a piece of a paper for a discount or freebies, if someone's going to get (internally) p!ssy about it, they got issues. If it's not one's stereotypical view that one's cheap by Merely having a gift certificate/paper to apply to the situation, and it's not good for a 1st date -- it's not good for the 50th date or personal use.

All in all, people don't want to come off as too stringent/superficial too much (although some do somewhat) -- but using a gift certificate, discount card (like 10% off all orders al lthe time), etc -- some gals will cry about it... I agree for game purposes, a guy should heed on using it early on unless he also wants to know what kind of person she is to weed her out or not. But if he's trying to get in her pants and/or working uphill to impress her initally -- he should avoid the risk of using any discount card/paper/sub-menu -- and let her get her feed from a trough that's paid at full retail value, and not even roll his eyes about it at all to her even on a subtle level. Chuckle with the buddies about it -- not to the date, even indirectly! :)
 clooneystutor
Msg: 928
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/23/2015 1:45:03 PM

F*ck coupons on first dates, come strong or don't come at all.

She better come strong too.
 Maleman999
Msg: 929
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/23/2015 2:35:07 PM
If somebody uses bitcoin instead of coupons, is that better? If someone is picking up the tab for both, who cares how it's paid.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 930
view profile
History
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/23/2015 2:45:24 PM
I always bring some mutton and boar that I've trapped or hunted to barter for dinner on dates.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 931
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/23/2015 4:05:45 PM

come strong or don't come at all

<----- Resting happily at home, thank you.
 Eekitsthebug
Msg: 932
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/23/2015 5:43:21 PM
Belle honey, it wasn't the coupons that were the problem. With the right person the first date coupons could have been fun. That guy would have been a nightmare even without coupons.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 933
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/23/2015 8:00:38 PM

So using a gift certificate or other form of paper giving a discount or freebies is going to piss them off? I was a waiter -- didn't for me, unless they were old people (ie looked cheap). A lot of times, it's Great. Because they're going to leave you a bigger tip %-wise. I've done that Both ways.

Some waiters focus on the tip instead of the service, so they have their the ability to "assess" for whom would the tip be generous with them in kind, I guess.

I've never used Groupons though. But essentially using a piece of a paper for a discount or freebies, if someone's going to get (internally) p!ssy about it, they got issues. If it's not one's stereotypical view that one's cheap by Merely having a gift certificate/paper to apply to the situation, and it's not good for a 1st date -- it's not good for the 50th date or personal use.

I don't know anyone who doesn't want to save money, but I'm not into those do won't do anything unless there's a savings/deal/coupon behind it. As for getting p*ssy about it, well, I guess if he was down to his last $50 till next paycheck, spending anything over the groupon would be sweat-inducing, lol. I didn't offer to give him money either or cover the parking cost, so I didn't make the situation any easier.

All in all, people don't want to come off as too stringent/superficial too much (although some do somewhat) -- but using a gift certificate, discount card (like 10% off all orders al lthe time), etc -- some gals will cry about it... I agree for game purposes, a guy should heed on using it early on unless he also wants to know what kind of person she is to weed her out or not. But if he's trying to get in her pants and/or working uphill to impress her initally -- he should avoid the risk of using any discount card/paper/sub-menu -- and let her get her feed from a trough that's paid at full retail value, and not even roll his eyes about it at all to her even on a subtle level. Chuckle with the buddies about it -- not to the date, even indirectly! :)

I'm all for saving, but I appreciate honesty, he can just let me know he has a coupon he'd like to redeem and needs a willing volunteer who likes to eat. I did learn something from that other thread however, that it shouldn't be my business how he settles the bill, if he's covering all. That gave me a true slap in the face.

She better come strong too.

You better make her come strong *wink*

I always bring some mutton and boar that I've trapped or hunted to barter for dinner on dates.

Two good sources of meat, sounds like a camp date, just take seasoning and lemons with you. Oh, and you do know how to start a fire, right?

Belle honey, it wasn't the coupons that were the problem. With the right person the first date coupons could have been fun. That guy would have been a nightmare even without coupons.

You are definitely right, I think he had a deep issue with paying for anything, and it would have likely been worse later on. I'll see what happens when someone else breaks out a groupon.
 forums1
Msg: 934
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/23/2015 11:29:23 PM

You are definitely right, I think he had a deep issue with paying for anything, and it would have likely been worse later on. I'll see what happens when someone else breaks out a groupon.

Way back when I was dating a woman that bought an "Entertainment" coupon book with coupons for a lot of area restaurants, usually "get the cheaper of 2 entrees free"... I bought one the next 2 years, $35 I think it was for the booklet, and we had a blast checking out various restaurants all over the area (say 30mi radius). Sometime the food was just "ok", some were great and we went back again later (w/o coupons)... kinda gave us the 'excuse' to keep trying new places. (Of course you always tip on the full value w/o the coupon).

I mostly paid, but not always... I can understand money being an issue at times, but seriously it's supposed to be about enjoying being together?
 Eekitsthebug
Msg: 935
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 12:32:02 AM

Isn't it sad how a bad experience can color our perception? I can't do zoo first dates or meets after feeling trapped with a fanatic. And a trip to the zoo should be fun not agonizing.
 clooneystutor
Msg: 936
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 6:58:24 AM

Isn't it sad how a bad experience can color our perception?

Never order the most expensive champagne at a wine bar.

$300 including the spring rolls.

Got a text later that I really put some effort into it and to come on over.

Glad not all the good experiences required this much effort.

If this was my perception of OLD, I'd be dating MUCH less frequently :)
 Dee4166
Msg: 937
view profile
History
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 7:09:53 AM

Isn't it sad how a bad experience can color our perception? I can't do zoo first dates or meets after feeling trapped with a fanatic. And a trip to the zoo should be fun not agonizing.

Ok, I'm afraid to ask, but I just HAVE to know how a date to the zoo, became agonizing...?

It's ok if you don't want to share, but I'm having a difficult time picturing how that's even possible.....?

Probably one of the MAIN reasons that I only go places that are new to me and that I don't already like/enjoy....So if the date goes south, then at least I don't have the 'stain' of that on whatever activity/place that I like and would like to go again....

Man...dating can REALLY be a B!TCH!
LOL
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 938
view profile
History
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 7:55:11 AM

...Oh, and you do know how to start a fire, right?

Honey, I could build a village in the middle of a pristine wilderness with my bare hands and naked. I could design a survival-type reality show that would actually be fun to watch. Now that would be a date, wouldn't it?
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 939
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 11:41:19 AM

Some waiters focus on the tip instead of the service, so they have their the ability to "assess" for whom would the tip be generous with them in kind, I guess.

Yeah, you try and sell more. You almost always don't see the coupon or discount card until after the bill's handed to them -- so any concern's going to be resolved after the service and show itself pretty soon. Most people tip more when they apply a gift certificate or coupon that affects it considerably. In fact, when it's really big, then it's great. They'd feel guilty walking out scott-free and leave a bigger tip than if they had to pay for the whole thing.

I don't know anyone who doesn't want to save money, but I'm not into those do won't do anything unless there's a savings/deal/coupon behind it.

That's not what this is about though. If a place has 2-for-Tuesdays or has circulars going out about for that kind of thing, it doesn't mean someone's a coupon junkie.

I did learn something from that other thread however, that it shouldn't be my business how he settles the bill, if he's covering all. That gave me a true slap in the face.

Great! So it shouldn't matter! Most coupons or gift-certificates or discount cards and the like are applied at the end anyway. If obviously what they order doesn't fit or ideally fit what they could apply, they'll save it for another time. If it does, a Normal person will use it. Who cares how he pays? Would one get mad if he used to work there and they still gave him a 25% off discount?

The only problem with a guy (or girl) applying discount-related cards or papers is if They pressure the other person into buying into it. Many don't. Many are x% off. Or buy one dish, get one of equal lesser value for x% off. And as far as 2-for sub-menus or coupons, it's easy Not to pressure the other person. Some Want to believe it's not any fault of the other person or it is and always will be, but it's Unavoidable so just avoid coupons -- because they don't want to come to grips that underneath it all, yeah -- they want to be "worth" being paid-for-in-full and have that chip on their shoulder, and it doesn't at all have to result in even implicitly pressuring you to order particulars.

Otherwise, it'd be, "Hey, I don't see any difference between a ragged coupon in his wallet, a fancy gift certificate, a plastic discount card, or "pull" being a former employee getting discounts when going in there. As long as it or he doesn't squeeze any selection on what I choose, heck -- I give him kudos for being on the ball about that stuff."
 Eekitsthebug
Msg: 940
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 12:07:58 PM

Ok, I'm afraid to ask, but I just HAVE to know how a date to the zoo, became agonizing...?

We met at the zoo and he looked like his picture. About 20 minutes in he starts talking about the perils of alcohol. I told him that coming from a family that has a history of alcohol abuse he's preaching to the choir. Even when telling him point blank to change the subject he wouldn't get off his soap box. He just kept droning on and on and on and on.

In a coffee shop you can look at your watch and say, "I have to be going." It's more awkward making an escape from the zoo.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 941
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 12:29:06 PM

Even when telling him point blank to change the subject he wouldn't get off his soap box. He just kept droning on and on and on and on.

If you tell him point blank to change the subject (not "yeah, you're preaching to the choir"; that'll keep them going) -- and say "OKAY already, drop the subject..." and he still keeps going, then THAT is the awkward moment if he keeps going on and on about it. Can't be more weird than that. If that were ever the case, I'd tell the gal, "Geezus. If you're still so messed up over alcohol when you're not drinking -- you need some help! You're making me want to have a beer to relax from all this crap!"
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 942
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 1:15:30 PM

I'm afraid to ask, but I just HAVE to know how a date to the zoo, became agonizing...?

Probably when they seriously consider jumping off the Safari tour bus and take their chances with the Lions and Crocodiles instead of spending even an extra minute sitting next to THEM.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 943
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 1:33:05 PM

Yes, but I am more experienced now, so I will exit any situation I am not comfortable instead of waiting it out just to be graceful.

Forums1,

That sounds like a lot of fun, but doesn't that require a certain rapport to be established prior?

Probably one of the MAIN reasons that I only go places that are new to me and that I don't already like/enjoy....So if the date goes south, then at least I don't have the 'stain' of that on whatever activity/place that I like and would like to go again...

I'm the opposite, I don't usually suggest my favorite places for dates, because bad experiences may cause me not to go again. I've never met someone at Starbucks, because I love Starbucks. I don't want to think......."ugh, this is where I met a$$hole #144", lol.

Honey, I could build a village in the middle of a pristine wilderness with my bare hands and naked. I could design a survival-type reality show that would actually be fun to watch. Now that would be a date, wouldn't it?

Well well well......so when is the show gonna air?

Yeah, you try and sell more. You almost always don't see the coupon or discount card until after the bill's handed to them -- so any concern's going to be resolved after the service and show itself pretty soon. Most people tip more when they apply a gift certificate or coupon that affects it considerably. In fact, when it's really big, then it's great. They'd feel guilty walking out scott-free and leave a bigger tip than if they had to pay for the whole thing.

99.99% of coupons in NYC, require you to present them from a very beginning, even make reservations most times. I usually leave a generous tip, and even more so if the savings are deep.

If a place has 2-for-Tuesdays or has circulars going out about for that kind of thing, it doesn't mean someone's a coupon junkie.

But if they wouldn't visit (that establishment) any other day, wouldn't you think that it's about the deal, not the company?

We met at the zoo and he looked like his picture. About 20 minutes in he starts talking about the perils of alcohol. I told him that coming from a family that has a history of alcohol abuse he's preaching to the choir. Even when telling him point blank to change the subject he wouldn't get off his soap box. He just kept droning on and on and on and on.

That was my last date in a nutshell, he wouldn't stop talking about celebrities, whereas I'm not into celebrities nor know much about them. His profession is being a paparazzi, I was not aware of this prior to meeting, his profession was "film producer" on his profile. His lack of respect for people's privacy, at the expense of a picture, an autographs, and all around hounding them, made me infer that he will have no respect for my own.

He'd also mention that his car had issues and he would rather find a dark place at night to do the job for cheap, so he can go right back to work. He had gotten into an accident but didn't want to follow the insurance's claim for having it fixed at the rate he got, he wanted to keep some of that money. I have very little respect for people who always want to "get over" on something or someone. It was the first time in my life I offered to pay more than my half but he didn't accept it. I just wanted to leave.

I haven't been on a date since, and that was back in January.
 Eekitsthebug
Msg: 944
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 1:37:16 PM

If you tell him point blank to change the subject (not "yeah, you're preaching to the choir"; that'll keep them going) -- and say "OKAY already, drop the subject..." and he still keeps going, then THAT is the awkward moment if he keeps going on and on about it. Can't be more weird than that. If that were ever the case, I'd tell the gal, "Geezus. If you're still so messed up over alcohol when you're not drinking -- you need some help! You're making me want to have a beer to relax from all this crap!"

Yanno, I started with the gentle "you're singing to the choir" (which would have shut me up) and progressed to just "shut up". Maybe I should have said that after all his lecturing I needed a drink. If I ever deem myself healthy enough to date can I text you for help on meets? Hahaha.

Danimal, it's a good thing they didn't have tour buses there. One of us might have ended up under it.
 forums1
Msg: 945
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 1:43:31 PM

I haven't been on a date since, and that was back in January.

Been way longer than that for me... but I've pretty much given up these days.

I have very little respect for people who always want to "get over" on something or someone.

Too much of that in general in today's society, IMHO.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 946
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 1:55:53 PM

It's more awkward making an escape from the zoo.

Much to the chagrin of the full-time residents there.

About 20 minutes in he starts talking about the perils of alcohol.

A good time to let him know you would rather talk about the perils of Pauline.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 947
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 2:21:07 PM

It's more awkward making an escape from the zoo.

There's always the lion habitat.

About 20 minutes in he starts talking about the perils of alcohol.

You should have said, "That's fascinating, and I would like to discuss it further over a few drinks."
 MaleFeasance
Msg: 948
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 2:48:20 PM
----------------------------
The lions could throw her back.
 forums1
Msg: 949
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 3:27:44 PM

You should have said, "That's fascinating, and I would like to discuss it further over a few drinks."

He'd probably be trying to drag her off to an AA meeting or something.
 Dee4166
Msg: 950
view profile
History
Paying for a date
Posted: 4/24/2015 3:43:21 PM
Ok...so it wasn't the actual venue so much as the company...got it....

Sounds like one of the 'newly sober' converts, unfortunately....

A few good comebacks for that situation here, myself I would have just told him point blank that I no longer wanted to discuss it and if he persisted that I would be forced to leave.....

But then again, for someone THAT clueless, I probably would have just had an 'emergency' and extricated myself from the date ASAP....
Ugh!!! Poor you!!

@Belle...if you re-read what you quoted, that IS what I said...lol Made the mistake of bringing guys , who I was actually going out with by that point, to my country house and then would have to go through and 'cleanse' the place with sage and a mental meditation that removed their energy from the house....

By the time I was in my late 20s, I learned to wait until we knew each other better BEFORE bringing them up there!!! LOL

Was GLAD whn we finally sold the place, frankly.... :/
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Paying for a date