Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.Page 11 of 58    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)

If someone goes to the trouble of kicking in my door or breaking a window, then I think it's safe to assume they mean to harm me.

Bad assumption, I think. Most likely, it means they want your stuff. Isn't that the reason for the vast majority of breakins?
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 252
Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.
Posted: 1/26/2015 5:54:10 PM
So if someone's kicking your door in....your actually thinking that they want your tv or such and that's it? No thoughts that they might be intent on doing you harm?
 aj7125
Msg: 253
Posted: 1/26/2015 6:07:49 PM
Good post crookcatcher. Seems like some in here would actually call out if someone broke in and ask them their intentions. Unbelievable!
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 254
Posted: 1/26/2015 6:17:53 PM

So if someone's kicking your door in....your actually thinking that they want your tv or such and that's it?

Well if your intention was to steal something, then why would you assume anything else?

I would think a cop would know that people who intend of stealing stuff, for the most part are only intent on stealing something.

If you happen to be home (which the chances of that would be higher than hitting the power-ball jackpot so basically zero) then someones intentions may change, but that does not mean their originally intention was to harm you, as they would rather you not be there.

No thoughts that they might be intent on doing you harm?

If they are not breaking down your door to hurt you, but to steal your stuff than why would you think that?

How many burglars intentionally do B&E's when people are home?
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 255
Posted: 1/26/2015 6:58:50 PM
100% of home invasions are occupied dwellings hence the words "home invasion" Those that are empty are burglaries.

Actually I was asking a question of the poster above me, but thanks for chiming in.
 calguy14
Msg: 256
Posted: 1/26/2015 6:59:44 PM
Thanks Joe.
Those TAC team guys,they have visors that darken synced with their strobes?

@HFX
If you were home,no thoughts that they might threaten you to disclose a safe or hidden items?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 257
Posted: 1/26/2015 7:10:52 PM
If presented with several unexpected home invaders, HFX_RGB would apparently use that wonderful opportunity to speak with them. He would likely ask them what occurred in their lives that ultimately brought them to this event. Based upon what he has shared here, he certainly can't direct the course of that tragic meeting, so he apparently just has to "keep his fingers crossed" and hope for the best.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 258
Posted: 1/26/2015 9:11:57 PM
When I moved here, my ex, very worried about my safety gifted me with a Winchester sawed off, pistol grip, double barrel semi-automatic 12 gauge shotgun. I was a bit intimidated, so asked my brother, the Secret Service agent if there was anything I needed to know. His advice: don't worry about aiming, just point it the general direction, and DO NOT PROP YOUR ELBOW ON YOUR HIP. Let it hang free. I never fired it, but I kept the sucker for almost a decade, till I got tired of strange men coming to ask me if they could fire my gun. Donated it to the Kerry Election Committee for an auction to raise funds. Have rested easy, since.

I've thought a more effective deterrent might be the case for something high powered leaning, empty, next to your door and a note reading Hey. I'm out looking for critters. Go on in and help yourself to something from the icebox. Don't mind George, he hasn't hurt nobody in weeks.

There was a funny case a few years back in the DC suburbs. During the Super Bowl, the family's dog, a golden retriever, was acting up down stairs. They kept shushing him. The next morning, the father going to get his coat to go work found a burglar curled up and asleep in the coat closet.
 aj7125
Msg: 259
Posted: 1/26/2015 9:42:49 PM
Eric, great post!

People that are afraid of weapons, don't know how to use them definitely should NOT have one. Education is vital to own a weapon. The criminal, the thug, who breaks into a home, sounds like some will defend them before they ever will defend a person who has just been violated. And this is coming from the so called "compassionate" people. But like I have said before, there is a huge difference between a truly compassionate person and a bleeding heart. The left is notorious for being bleeding hearts, a trait that is fake.
 midnite_icecream
Msg: 260
Posted: 1/26/2015 9:49:35 PM
It's conceivable to me that gun freaks and enthusiasts would fight tooth and nail under pretext of the arguments used by mainstream gun owners and supporters, although they would hold the "constitutional right" position in common. The sky falling stuff makes me think of the survivalists from the Doomsday Preppers TV program.
Although it was said more crudely elsewhere, I do agree that it must compensate for some inadequacy in certain men, and not just anatomical. Wielding a weapon..the mentality is not unlike a tough tattooed biker type riding his ultra loud Harley...he gets off on the power. Not that its only limited to the type of person described.
The corrupt hold onto their seats of power, maintaining the status quo. All the while, the muppets argue on.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 261
Posted: 1/26/2015 9:51:01 PM

Posted by Woobytoodsday:
"gifted me with a Winchester sawed off, pistol grip, double barrel semi-automatic 12 gauge shotgun."

A sawed-off, pistol grip, double barrel, semi-automatic, 12 gauge shotgun, you say? Very interesting. You're witty.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 262
Posted: 1/26/2015 10:06:05 PM

Posted by Woobytoodsday:
"gifted me with a Winchester sawed off, pistol grip, double barrel semi-automatic 12 gauge shotgun."

Posted By eric_summit
A sawed-off, pistol grip, double barrel, semi-automatic, 12 gauge shotgun, you say? Very interesting. You're witty.

Do You know How Rare a Winchester Double Barrel, Semi Auto 12ga Shotgun is? I've never even seen a Picture of one... It must have brought 4 or 5 Million Dollars @ Auction...... I wonder if it was a Single or Double Trigger Model?..... How short were the Barrels Cut off to?.......
 HondoGal
Msg: 263
Posted: 1/26/2015 11:22:49 PM
I appreciate Gingerosities contribution to this thread; though I am certain he does not seek accolades. However, his is a naïve point of view; even in Australia. In today’s world especially in the U.S. we are better off prepared for intruders than to ignore the possibility that it “Can never happen to me”.

When I first joined the forums there was a very savvy, brilliant guy who wrote to me and said, “I read your posts…”. Did that mean that he only selectively read posts? He said he did not waste his time reading predictable garbage. That is how I am. Although I appreciate the persons here who confront the predictable posters who seek only to denigrate, rather than debate cordially issues raised, I have no use for them so do not waste my time reading their usual insults to others who do not agree with them.

Yep. My grandmother was brutally murdered when I was 15 years old...stabbed to death. I often wonder if she had a gun would the outcome be different (she wasn't your typical "little old lady" grandmother). She has the warmest, kindest soul - no doubt some thug took advantage of that.~cautiousluv

I am soo very sorry to hear this; you have my deepest sympathy.

Guns are a deterrent. When I lived on a remote ranch there was an outbreak of home invasions and robberies. Our local Police Chief and his Officers use to come to our home where we would practice target shooting; so I asked him how come we had not been hit. His response, “The word is out, you are carrying”.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” Samuel Adams ~ Behind blue eyes

Thanks very much for posting this; truly I am emblazoning this on a poster.

Who owns Your or Your Families Lives? You or the Country? I own My own Life & believe it's worth Defending, when someone else tries taking it... Mine & my Families Lives are worth more to Me than some random Criminals' life..... ~ BBE

The Boston Strangler’s prosecutor wrote a book about him; it depicted how women who had kitchen knives in their hands could not bring themselves to harm him. This has to do with the psychology of women who believe that they should not offend, that not fighting back will be a better alternative. This is a patently FALSE strategy.

Mass murders in Australia just since 1990 and notice NOT all of these were committed with firearms ~ cautious

See post 230
Thanks for posting this.

This thread has inspired me to purchase my very first firearm.
Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get the paperwork done and make a purchase.~ Eric summitt

You are funee; no need to wait for snow to melt if you were serious.

If someone goes to the trouble of kicking in my door or breaking a window, then I think it's safe to assume they mean to harm me.~Trinity

Bad assumption, I think. Most likely, it means they want your stuff. Isn't that the reason for the vast majority of breakins?~NotGorsh

Are we supposed to give intruders a questionnaire? This is what you are implying.

Oh, are you only here for my stuff?
Or are your intentions even more devious and harmful?
Are you a rapist? Please answer truthfully.

So what if someone only wants my stuff; they are not entitled to it.
Except perhaps in your mentality.
Maybe you have nothing worthy, I do…and they can’t have it.

Unless they have filled out the questionnaire and helped you rip off the insurance company.

Do You know How Rare a Winchester Double Barrel, Semi Auto 12ga Shotgun is? I've never even seen a Picture of one... It must have brought 4 or 5 Million Dollars @ Auction...... I wonder if it was a Single or Double Trigger Model?..... How short were the Barrels Cut off to?.......BBE

Wouldn’t it also be illegal to own?

woobytoodsday
Msg: 264
Posted: 1/26/2015 11:33:23 PM
Witty? I suppose I could have just made a fool of myself, just giving my best remembrance of the beast. I know it wasn't really actually sawed off, just had short barrels (I think about a 1/2 inch over legal) and don't remember if it was (or could be) fully automatic or just semi, so guessed there. I know I thought it was an ugly sucker, and that virtually every gun owner in the county wanted to shoot it. (Don't take anything you wish to keep private to sell to the owner of a country store. He didn't want it, but he surely did talk about it. Or maybe, at second thought that's equivalent to my note on the door, lol!) Also don't recall if it was an over/under or a side by side. I do recall my bro said they had 5'2" girl agents that could use 'em with no problem.

Maybe one of our policemen can tell me where I messed up.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 265
Posted: 1/27/2015 12:08:51 AM

Posted by Woobytoodsday:
"Maybe one of our policemen can tell me where I messed up."

Pretty much anyone can tell you where you messed up.
Basically because the fictitious firearm you have fabricated for this thread does not exist.

There is no such thing as a "Winchester sawed off, pistol grip, double barrel semi-automatic 12 gauge shotgun".
Do you even know what fully-automatic means? Do you know how fully-automatic differs from semi-automatic?
Do you possess the requisite tax stamp for a fully-automatic weapon?

Posted by Woobytoodsday:
"...my brother, the Secret Service agent if there was anything I needed to know.
His advice: don't worry about aiming, just point it the general direction..."

There you go again, Woobytoodsday.
There is not a Secret Service agent in the world who would EVER say such a reckless thing. Because, well, it is NOT true.
The shot spread at typical home defense distance can fit inside the size of a paper dinner plate.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2015 12:09:09 AM

People that are afraid of weapons, don't know how to use them definitely should NOT have one. Education is vital to own a weapon.

Absolutely, utterly, totally, 100% HELL yes.

But then you break down.

The criminal, the thug, who breaks into a home, sounds like some will defend them before they ever will defend a person who has just been violated.

umm ........ no. Stick the barrel of something up my arse and tell me to squeal like a pig? I've been violated. Break my window? Not so much. A personal affront? yes. A violation of my space and privacy? Yes. But my person hasn't been violated.

And this is coming from the so called "compassionate" people. But like I have said before, there is a huge difference between a truly compassionate person and a bleeding heart

Anybody who thinks they have the right to take a human life to save their stereo or CD collection has neither compassion nor a heart. Even the self-defense defense is for your person, not your stuff.

The left is notorious for being bleeding hearts, a trait that is fake.

We'll ignore the fact that if you have a firearm in your home, the person overwhelmingly the most likely to literally have a bleeding heart after a break-in is you, not the thug.

For the record - I grew up in Labrador hunting and fishing. I have an old .22 (for partridge) and a Lee-Enfield .303 (moose & caribou) that were owned by my grandfather, and a 12 guage (duck, geese) that was my father's before he died. All are still back home, broken down, and stored in a family friend's gunsafe in his basement, where they will remain until I decide to go back home and do some hunting again. I live in a city in Ontario now - firearms in my apartment would be a liability. I also served in the military (navel intelligence) - and although I was not in one of the combat arms trades, I qualified as a first-class shot my first time on the range in boot camp. I know firearms, I know their uses, and I have some skills.

But what it all comes down to is this - a firearm is a tool, and tools have their uses. Home protection just isn't one of them.

Just ask yourself this: If having a firearm in your home means it's more likely that you are going to bury your wife, husband, sons, daughters or friends - ESPECIALLY in the case of a break-in - then why would any sane person possibly WANT one, even if you do have the right?
 dragonbytes
Msg: 267
Posted: 1/27/2015 12:09:54 AM
I have this image in my mind.

It's 1930, and you hear a noise downstairs.

You are wearing your nightshirt your pointed nightcap, your wife hears a strange noise like a breaking window. She say honey, please check out what is going on!

So down the stairs you go, with your nightshirt, your pointed nightcap and with your Thomson submachine gun, to check out the the noise.

The image of Dagwood with his nightshirt, pointed nightcap and cradling a Thomson just makes me chuckle.

How cool was it when you could legally buy a submachine gun without a Federal Firearms permit?
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 268
Posted: 1/27/2015 12:30:59 AM

Posted By notgorshkovagain
Break my window? Not so much. A personal affront? yes. A violation of my space and privacy? Yes. But my person hasn't been violated.

I won't quote the Law for anywhere in Canada, then I don't need to, because I don't live there, nor will I visit.

California gets a high rating from the Brady Bunch, for their Anti-Gun laws....
Yet here is the Law in California, when someone Forcefully Enters Your Home & Breaking a Window would qualify as Forcefully Entering Your Home......

§ Penal Code 198.5 "Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or great bodily injury within his or her residence shall be presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to self, family, or a member of the household when that force is used against another person, not a member of the family or household, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence and the person using the force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred."

Just ask yourself this: If having a firearm in your home means it's more likely that you are going to bury your wife, husband, sons, daughters or friends - ESPECIALLY in the case of a break-in - then why would any sane person possibly WANT one, even if you do have the right?

What are your Qualifications to make this Claim? What Training have You received to make such a Claim? Are You Certified as a Trainer in this Field?

I am a Certified Instructor for Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns, & Personal Protection, are You?

Wooby, the last Person you should to ask about the Law, is a Police Officer.... If You have a Question about the Law, the Proper Person to ask is a Lawyer that is Trained & that Specializes in that Particular Field of the Law....
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 269
Posted: 1/27/2015 12:35:26 AM
eric, the gun, as I recall it may not exist. But the gun did exist. It could have been a Remington, and I was thinking Winchester, because I was telling a friend about an accident my son and I had on the home from seeing the Mystery House. No, I do not know the difference in an actual gun between an automatic and a semi-automatic. [my sense, as an ignorant old lady is that you only need the hold the trigger to shoot many rounds with an automatic, but I wouldn't bet the house on it] But the account was as straight forward as I could make it. And I don't have to know any of it to be the recipient of a weapon I received as a gift, kept boxed for 9 years and gave away. Have fun all you sweet gentlemen.

The deputy sheriff at the county Dem meeting for Kerry said it *could* auctioned, and I was glad to be shut of it.

And yes, that's exactly what my brother said, and he really truly was a Secret Service Agent for forty plus years. I think they may be called riot guns for a reason? How DO you aim a riot gun?

kj521
Msg: 270
Posted: 1/27/2015 4:13:57 AM
"Anybody who thinks they have the right to take a human life to save their stereo or CD collection has neither compassion nor a heart. Even the self-defense defense is for your person, not your stuff."

How do you know someone is there to just steal possessions?

What about rape? Can you take a human life then? Or does it have to be rape with intent to kill?

Do you wait until there is clear intent to kill before defending yourself?

And what would be clear indicators.....actively stabbing, shooting, shoking, beating.....what?

Just curious.......
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 271
Posted: 1/27/2015 4:58:57 AM

Exactly.

To be sure people with that mentality surely would'nt just keep their azz in the recliner if someone kicked the door in would they? I've never talked to a victim of a home invasion yet that said " we were'nt worried that they were going to hurt us, we knew the dvd player was what they wanted. So I just sent the kids to their room and we tried to just ignore them"
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 272
Posted: 1/27/2015 5:05:52 AM

Because those types of crimes are crimes of passion and as such are committed the vast majority of the time by people you know.

Thus a random person breaking into your house is there to steal stuff and hopes you are not home.

Also the chances of that happening is about the same as being hit by lightning.

So if you are delusional and paranoid, maybe a gun is right for you.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 273
Posted: 1/27/2015 5:34:40 AM
Come on CC, how big a fool did I sound like?

The more reading I did last night, the more it reinforced my original sense that a sweet man walked into a gun shop and got sold the least salable weapon in the place.

The sucker looked a whole lot like this: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/OTxCwebPwf4/hqdefault.jpg Or this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Shotgun-latrun-exhibition-1.jpg/800px-Shotgun-latrun-exhibition-1.jpg

And oh, well, lol!
 kj521
Msg: 274
Posted: 1/27/2015 5:43:07 AM
"Crimes of passion"

Exactly what types of crimes are you talking about?

"Thus a random person breaking into your house is there to steal stuff and hopes you are not home..."

Having experienced a random stranger attempt to break into my home....he definitely wanted something but it was not my material possessions...

So thus that makes me neither paranoid nor delusional.....just really unlucky, I guess.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 275
Posted: 1/27/2015 5:52:28 AM
Brushing up on those people skills I see.

Because those types of crimes are crimes of passion and as such are committed the vast majority of the time by people you know.

And if they're breaking in, how does "knowing" them change the fact you're being assaulted.

Unless of course you're now talking about crimes of passion in general which you probably are, but it wasn't what she was refering too and you know that.

Also

I have yet to see lightning strike people almost 30% of the time, but hey let's not let the truth get in the way.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.