Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 751
Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.Page 31 of 58    (18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58)
Accidental shooting kills 13-year-old baby-sitter
Advocate staff report
Feb. 23, 2015

A Baton Rouge man was working on his handgun Saturday night when it accidentally discharged, killing a 13-year-old boy who was baby-sitting his kids.

http://theadvocate.com/news/police/11668741-123/accidental-shooting-kills-juvenile

4-year-old Wasilla boy shot in the leg when mother’s .357 magnum falls out of her holster
Tom Boggioni
22 Feb 2015 at 20:22 ET

A 4-year-old Wasilla, Alaska boy is in the hospital after being shot in the leg by his mother’s high-powered handgun after it fell out of her holster, reports KTVA.

According to a report filed by Alaska State Troopers, the unidentified woman and her family were exiting their truck when the handgun — a .357 magnum — slipped out of her holster, striking the ground, and firing a shot that struck the boy.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/4-year-old-wasilla-boy-shot-in-the-leg-when-mothers-357-magnum-falls-out-of-her-holster/#.VOqQJkT7cGs.reddit

3-year old girl shot in South Toledo
Posted: Feb 21, 2015 11:19 PM AST Updated: Feb 21, 2015 11:19 PM AST

A three-year old girl was shot inside a South Toledo home.

http://www.13abc.com/story/28168644/3-year-old-girl-shot-in-south-toledo
 Olwhatzhisname
Msg: 752
view profile
History
Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.
Posted: 2/23/2015 6:33:40 AM
A mother and her 13-year-old son were at the corner store when two men approached them and opened fire, shooting the teen in both feet. The mother responded by pulling out her gun and returning fire. She said she recognized one of the suspects as a man who had been harassing her for years. She had been so concerned about the harassment that she got a concealed carry license. The suspects fled, firing as they ran, but were later captured. One was being held on $250,000 bond, and police say charges are pending against the other man involved in the incident. The 13-year-old has been discharged from the hospital and is recovering. (myfox28columbus.com, Columbus, Ohio, 11/11/2014)

San Antonio police said a would-be robber of a Subway restaurant was stopped by a man with a gun. Witnesses said the suspect demanded money from an employee and threatened to shoot. That’s when a man who had been waiting outside saw what was going on, entered the establishment, drew his concealed handgun and pointed it at the suspect. The miscreant then ran away without taking anything. No injuries were reported. (San Antonio Express-News, San Antonio, Texas, 11/19/2014)

Two Orange County brothers, Barry and Terah Frost, secured their elderly mother in an interior room of their residence before investigating a suspicious noise in the wee hours of the morning. A 23-year-old armed stranger had entered the home. After Barry found the man in the basement, the intruder attacked, punching him and brandishing a knife. Terah then entered the room and shot and killed the intruder. Police said the crime appeared to be random. (Times-Mail, Bedford, Ind., 11/26/14)
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 753
Posted: 2/23/2015 6:36:34 AM
This idiot doesn't realize he's presented an argument for more gun control.
 Olwhatzhisname
Msg: 754
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2015 6:54:39 AM
This idiot doesnt realize that gun control laws have no effect on criminals
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 755
Posted: 2/23/2015 7:13:40 AM

This idiot doesnt realize that gun control laws have no effect on criminals

Are saying that in countries with gun control laws, the criminals are still use guns at the same rate as countries without gun control laws?
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 756
Posted: 2/23/2015 7:19:08 AM
"And of course you'd want to compare to other times or other countries to increase your sample size and reduce the effect of random variables."
You can throw in as many variables as you want, but it's like STILL fighting Nazi Germany 50-something years later only with a higher cost and a bigger army, no end in sight, yet declaring victory.
How many more trillions will it take? My guess is that this victory will, by design, never happen. Too many paper-pushers and empty suits will lose their own jobs, and we certainly wouldn't want to see that happen.
Okay, I can see that some of our more squeamish contributors don't like the idea of a war really being a war, so how about this: A huge forest fire is raging and many thousands of firefighters go into action to out it out, and 55 years later, victory is declared, although the fire still rages.

Re: gun laws. Every country is different, but this is telling: "There are fewer than 13 million firearms in circulation in Russia, compared with an estimated 300 million in the United States. That works out to about 9 guns per 100 people in Russia and closed to 100 guns per 100 people in America.
The most recent homicide statistics for Russia show that there were 21,603 killings in 2009
According to the FBI, the United States had 13,636 homicides in 2009 with a population that is more than twice as large. More than 80 percent of those killings were gun-related."Russia has tough gun laws on the books. It's illegal for Russian citizens to own automatic and semi-automatic guns. It's possible to apply for a handgun or shotgun license, though citizens are required to provide reasons such as hunting or target shooting.
Applicants face strict background checks, including criminal history, a full psychological evaluation and a medical exam. They must pass a test on firearm laws and safety.
Each weapon is then registered by the police during a home visit. Police take bullet patterns, test bullets and cartridges so bullets can be matched if the gun is used in a crime. A license lasts five years, after which applicants must go through the whole process again."

So Russia has 1/10 the number of guns but twice the murder rate and tough laws. Is it the guns or is it the people?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2013/09/19/224043848/the-u-s-has-more-guns-but-russia-has-more-murders
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 757
Posted: 2/23/2015 7:25:23 AM

You can throw in as many variables as you want, but it's like STILL fighting Nazi Germany 50-something years later only with a higher cost and a bigger army, no end in sight, yet declaring victory.

Speaking of fear mongering.

How many more trillions will it take?

Hard to say how much it will cost to educate the world with respect there is no invisible man in the sky.
 Olwhatzhisname
Msg: 758
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2015 7:29:56 AM

Are saying that in countries with gun control laws, the criminals are still use guns at the same rate as countries without gun control laws?

Are saying that we are a country with no gun control laws at all, and yet criminals are still use guns like they do in gun control countries???
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 759
Posted: 2/23/2015 9:35:25 AM

Are saying that we are a country with no gun control laws at all, and yet criminals are still use guns like they do in gun control countries???

Nope, I am saying that people who make the claim, that with gun laws only the criminals would have guns, is about as stupid of a statement that one can make.

Also shows a complete disregard for the 1000's of innocent people that get killed annually because of those weak gun laws.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 760
Posted: 2/23/2015 10:37:58 AM
Guns don't kill people. People kill people.
Heartwarming story how one of the most gun-loving towns in gun-loving United States enjoys a tiny rate of violence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

For residents of countries outside the United States of America who do not approve of our Second Amendment:
You certainly do have the option to write to our nice legislators to request it be repealed.
Good luck with that, by the way. We rather prefer to have lawful rights by which to enhance security in our lives.

For people who do not like firearms...they don't have to purchase them.
In fact, they should probably put this on their lawn to show it is "safe" gun-free place for criminals to visit:
https://scrosnoe.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/gun-free-zone-porter-davis.jpg
 etourdi65
Msg: 761
Posted: 2/23/2015 10:59:21 AM
1000's killed because of weak gun laws...not sure how you came up with that number maybe you could provide evidence of thousands of cases where innocent people get killed annually because weak gun laws directly contributed to each death...
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 762
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2015 12:02:58 PM

people who make the claim, only criminals would have guns

Not as stupid as you would think, it would make plenty of legal firearms owners criminals... myself included.

Rember the big stink over land and cattle not too long ago? Now think what would happen if the government overstepped it's boundries on this issue. It wouldn't be a pretty site. :/

There is also no way to track who has what or how many.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 763
Posted: 2/23/2015 12:31:54 PM
"the handgun — a .357 magnum — slipped out of her holster, striking the ground, and firing a shot that struck the boy."

I'm curious, Skoochie, how did the gun "slip " out of the holster ? Was there a momentary lapse of gravity?
That incident is 100% the mother's fault. She is responsible for the safe use of that gun, nobody else.
If a man is screwing a woman and the condom "slips" and she gets pregnant, is that "just an accident" too?
Do people get people pregnant, or do condoms get people pregnant?
Sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it?
When you blame the item and not the person using it you sound pretty stupid too.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 764
Posted: 2/23/2015 1:50:29 PM

Rember the big stink over land and cattle not too long ago? Now think what would happen if the government overstepped it's boundries on this issue. It wouldn't be a pretty site. :/

Yeah I remember some guy was ripping off the tax payers by not paying fees associated with his cattle.

I also remember the conservative media holding this guy up as some type of hero, despite the fact he was clearly a criminal and seemed to come off as a bit of a gun nut.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1000's killed because of weak gun laws...not sure how you came up with that number maybe you could provide evidence of thousands of cases where innocent people get killed annually because weak gun laws directly contributed to each death...

All you have to do is keep following this thread and I will keep posting headlines of where such a thing has happened.

Or you could look at the FBI data

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-20
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 765
Posted: 2/23/2015 1:59:00 PM
"My point was that the mother didn't want the gun to shoot the kid, yet it did."
She effed up, didn't she? She allowed a gun, which is a dangerous thing, to carelessly fall and discharge. It is totally her fault. This goes right to the core of many of my arguments with people - they refuse to take ownership of their actions. Things just "happen", it's "not their fault."
Let's have some fun, OK? Same situation. Let's say that a man get's out of his car, and his gun falls down and goes off, only this time the gun kills a bystander. And to spice it up even more, let's say that this man is a white policeman and the dead guy is a black teenager. Would you still contend that it was an accident?
 _mungojoe_
Msg: 766
Posted: 2/23/2015 2:31:34 PM

Let's have some fun, OK? Same situation. Let's say that a man get's out of his car, and his gun falls down and goes off, only this time the gun kills a bystander. And to spice it up even more, let's say that this man is a white policeman and the dead guy is a black teenager. Would you still contend that it was an accident?

You are such a fvcking loon...

*Sponsored by the National "Please Fix Stupid" campaign*
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 767
Posted: 2/23/2015 2:47:20 PM
GreenThumbz18...you are precisely correct. A holstered sidearm needs to be controlled by the owner.
It was a poor equipment choice. A decent holster will retain the weapon while an operator is hanging upside down outside of a helicopter by a cable! Your assessment is right...it was a tragic and unfortunate accident. They happen.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 768
Posted: 2/23/2015 5:32:39 PM

...it was a tragic and unfortunate accident.

Negligence is no accident.

It is a product of a society that does not take guns seriously.
 flyguy51
Msg: 769
Posted: 2/23/2015 5:45:42 PM

people who make the claim, only criminals would have guns

Not as stupid as you would think, it would make plenty of legal firearms owners criminals... myself included.

Why do you fear that scenario so much? The right to keep and bear arms is protected by the Constitution (if that hasn't been mentioned yet), and the Supreme Court has deemed that it is a fundamental right. Not even the right to vote has that status. This is just more of the slippery slope paranoia I referred to earlier.

No one in the government is threatening to take your articles of manhood away. Everything is going to be OK.

There is also no way to track who has what or how many.

Wait-- aren't you opposed to a firearm registry?? Wouldn't you want to word that a whole lot differently? Or are you saying that a decently accurate registry will never be physically possible?
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 770
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2015 6:54:50 PM
^^^^

No, I worded that correctly. What I was saying is that it is practically impossble to have a full blown collection take place.
Compliance would be shaky at best, even a lot of law enforcement wouldn't enforceme it. :/
It is nobodies business what I own or do not own.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 771
Posted: 2/23/2015 7:07:10 PM

and the criminals love it that way, because the majority of guns used to commit murder are stolen from people just like yourself and the harder to trace them the better.
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 772
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2015 7:13:23 PM
Once stolen tracing becomes moot... that made no sense. :/

Cars are stolen all the time, traceability sure hasn't prevented that.
 flyguy51
Msg: 773
Posted: 2/23/2015 7:16:32 PM

No, I worded that correctly. What I was saying is that it is practically impossble to have a full blown collection take place.
Compliance would be shaky at best, even a lot of law enforcement wouldn't enforceme it. :/

So, you oppose confiscation, of course, AND you believe that confiscation is virtually impossible? I hope that you do not spend too much time fearing and vehemently opposing things that you consider virtually impossible in the first place.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 774
Posted: 2/23/2015 7:57:02 PM
"It is nobodies business what I own or do not own."
That is not true with regard to dangerous chemicals and explosives., maybe some other things like broadcast transmitters. Since you do live in a town with other people, even if it's a very small town, others have a stake in what is kept on your premises in case of fire or other calamity. There are probably fire codes that restrict the amount of reloading powder an individual can store in his residence, liquid fuels, pesticides, paints, etc.

And to the other guy, OF COURSE a stolen firearm can be traced. Just turn on the Lojack :)
 Countryheart1967
Msg: 775
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2015 8:11:33 PM
I didn't think I had to type in "firearm" to keep people from being confused in a discussion on firearms. :p

Nice spin on my last post Fly lol.
I'm opposed to cancer research too because I'm scared of it and the cure is improbable... In the words of Charlie Brown, "Good grief".

It would seem, suggested by posts, that I'm not the one in fear of anything. :/
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.