Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 robaustralia
Msg: 151
Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.Page 7 of 58    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)

What a stupid comment. You can't possibly think this is remotely true. There are many countries that are unarmed and "polite". Canada comes to mind, how about Australia, how about Great Britain, how about Japan... just to name a couple. Far less murders and crimes going on in these countries than in the U.S. where many are armed. And the preceding list of countries are know for being polite...Canada, Australia, Great Britain and Japan....not the rude Americans that need to pack a friggin gun to go to Walmart or the Piggley Wiggely.

Australia is not unarmed. It is not illegal to own firearms here. I own firearms myself, simply because when I was younger I used to go hunting feral pests. You have to justify your ownership of firearms, store them in a safe and store the ammunition separately . Which is common sense because if your house gets burgled, it would be unlikely the burglars would be able to carry away a gun safe (although it has happened).

Semi-automatic military style weapons are banned, however you can obtain a collectors licence, although I think those weapons have to be rendered inoperable.

When Obama tried to introduce gun reforms in the Wild West he used Australia's gun laws as a good model to emulate. The NRA stuck their bib in and described Australia's gun laws as draconian and made up all sorts of BS about crime in Australia that was not even related to guns.

What they don't understand is that their own gun laws are based on a constitution that is 200+ years old, now that is draconian.They glossed over the fact that since the ban on assault rifles , there has never been a mass shooting here. They just cherry picked data to justify their own cause.

What is draconian is a society where assault rifles are readily available and the weapons of choice for mass killers.Whilst that culture exists there will continue to be mass shootings and any society that does nothing to attempt to curb that is irresponsible.

Another interesting fact about the Wild West is that being a food delivery worker is listed among the top ten most dangerous jobs. Are you guys proud of that? I find that absurd that a pizza delivery person would need to be armed. Now would be robbers will be thinking pizza delivery people are armed .Now they will have to shoot the pizza delivery guy and steal both his gun and his cash . What a great result, more guns in the hands of criminals.

As for teachers being armed, I have a better idea. Why don't you just arm the 5 yos? That would be a terrific result, you could have whole armies of 5 yos running around schoolyards blowing away anyone they perceive as a threat.

I'm sure that would be constitutionally acceptable as their is no age limit on the "right to bear arms".
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.
Posted: 1/22/2015 3:40:19 PM

As for teachers being armed, I have a better idea. Why don't you just arm the 5 yos? That would be a terrific result, you could have whole armies of 5 yos running around schoolyards blowing away anyone they perceive as a threat.

There you go! That explains why I left teaching and went into law enforcement. I figured if they had guns it was only fair I have one myself!
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 153
Posted: 1/22/2015 3:57:09 PM

When Obama tried to introduce gun reforms in the Wild West he used Australia's gun laws as a good model to emulate. The NRA stuck their bib in and described Australia's gun laws as draconian and made up all sorts of BS about crime in Australia that was not even related to guns.

You don't understand........ Certain Democrats in Safe Seats might introduce legislation on Gun Control, but the Democrat Party as a whole still remembers what happened after they passed Bill Clinton's AW Ban in 1994. Because of that the Democrats lost control of the House of Representatives for the 1st time in 40 years.

The Democrats lost enough Seats after they passed the ACA, they're not going to Lose even more Seats by Passing a Gun Control Bill, too.

Also, with the rise of the WWW & Social Media sites, People hear about Proposed Laws faster & can respond to them faster.. When Members of Congress's Phones start ringing off the hook & their email boxes start filling up they know better than pass those Laws...

VVVV CrookCatcher.... That reminds me of a common saying after Sam Colt designed his Revolver..... "God made Man, Sam Colt made them Equal"... This is referring to a repeating firearm & one didn't need to be Bigger - Stronger than their opponent to win a Fight. Before that strength & numbers counted for more in a fight... Afterwards a Smaller Man or Women had a better chance of Defending themselves..... VVVVV

Eric, it's Simple......... The important Word in Gun Control, isn't Guns.... It's the Word Control.......... They Want to Control other people's Lives.... Pure & Simple........

It's All About Control.........
 Strings6
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2015 4:01:01 PM
A young woman defended herself and escaped being a victim of what might have been more than a robbery,not surprised that the usual suspects are not happy about it,may the same thing happen to them without a gun....one can only hope.
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 155
Posted: 1/22/2015 4:10:13 PM
Another interesting fact about the Wild West is that being a food delivery worker is listed among the top ten most dangerous jobs. Are you guys proud of that?

^^^^^

Well actually no.

Those incidents are not that uncommon around the Atlanta Metro area. The only thing that made this news is the driver was armed and able to shoot her attacker and defend herself. Normally they lay in wait and beat the driver with ball bats or other weapons once they get away from the car. In fact there are pizza places that just won't deliver to certain areas now.
There's a violent sub culture on the streets of thugs and gang bangers whether you want to acknowledge them or not. They won't care if your democrat or republican, white or black. If you have what they want they're going take it any means possible and it doesn't matter where your at or when.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 156
Posted: 1/22/2015 4:12:11 PM

Posted by String6:
"A young woman defended herself and escaped being a victim of what might have been more than a robbery, not surprised that the usual suspects are not happy about it, may the same thing happen to them without a gun...one can only hope."

That is indeed very puzzling, String6. Good question.
One wonders why they would prefer she suffers at the hands of a criminal thug?

Perhaps they feel it more "honorable" that she be victimized? Weird.
They should be pleased an innocent and hard-working woman is safe.
 gtomustang
Msg: 157
Posted: 1/22/2015 5:01:08 PM
Whenever someone talks about the easy solution of arming teachers, I'm always reminded of the saying, "those who can...do. Those who can't....um, shoot?" Teachers have enough jobs already,playing social worker and everything else, now they have to decide also if Johnny's hands are under his desk b/c he's texting or b/c he's working a speedloader on the Dan Wesson he brought to school today?

when shots are fired outside the classroom door, what's the teacher's job? Draw from a childproof holster or safe, aim at a kid they likely tutored yesterday and blow him away, or focus instead on getting the kids in the room to a safe place? Which one will they do first--they may only have seconds to make the call. Likely, protocol will be, get kids to safety first, then set up a defense perimeter, and let the school guards go on offense. I wonder how many 2o-somethings graduating from college want to go into education where they have to learn how to punch paper once a month so they can gun down a troubled child accurately.

As for telling those in urban centers, "hey, get an education, get a job, pull yourself up from your bootstraps and GTFO", I'll admit, its elitist of me. I went to school, studied hard, worked hard, and earned a place in a small town free of such concerns b/c as we like to joke, "we don't have to worry about a nuclear war--EVERYTHING takes 10 years to finally arrive in this town."

I have had LEOs tell me answering a domestic where there may be a gun on the premises, thrills them not in the least. Like many of us, they'd be happier if no one but them had a gun.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2015 5:08:23 PM

I wonder how many 2o-somethings graduating from college want to go into education where they have to learn how to punch paper once a month so they can gun down a troubled child accurately.

You would be surprised at all the terrible things some teachers would love to do to their troublemakers.

Student Johnny: the dog chewed up my homework
Teacher: chew on this (fires 3 rounds at center mass). Can someone tell me how many shots I fired, please raise your hands!

Teacher wakes up from dream!

Many sick ones out there!

This scenario isn't a laughing matter!
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 159
Posted: 1/22/2015 5:30:47 PM
I think it's a bad idea to arm school teachers personally. But.....

On a side note I watched the video of the NJ shooting last night. Then one thing I saw in the article was a statement from the civil rights attorney who said the victim was totally compliant with the officers commands. I had to watch the video again to make sure I was seeing the right one. How would you come to
that conclusion?
 HondoGal
Msg: 160
Posted: 1/22/2015 11:12:56 PM

The waterfront was burnt to the ground in the name of "protection". It wasn't in Canada. ~Walts

LoL, Walts…Detroit is not demonstrative of the entire United States.
I know you think it is why I say you have no valid input as to the situation I raised.

Uh, just for your benefit though, we all live in homes with barred windows.
Hopefully this will deter you from visiting here.
Really, we do not need the misinformed backwards canucks.

None of my Canadian friends are of your mindset.
I have good friends who routinely shop for their wardrobes, and also to enjoy cultural aspects, in NYC or Beverly Hills.

.I do not believe everyone should own a gun. Being trained to physically shoot a weapon is something everyone can learn but being prepared psychologically to use it is quite another.~kj521

This is true; it is what those who properly train others will address. I hope that this thread, at the very least, brings attention to the fact that women need not continually see themselves as indefensible targets for criminals. Why I applaud the Papa Jones delivery woman for having the courage to defend herself.

I would like for all women reading this forum to also tune into “Armed and Female”. We are fodder for criminals that seek to rape, abduct or murder. I’d like to see that changed. I believe this delivery woman sent a message to the gangsters in her area, and also, to women.

I would suggest other means of self-defense ~kj

Like what? What do you think is also effective self defense? My brother-in-law, a former cop, gave me pepper spray; but I prefer not to get that close!
I respect your opinion so please share.
Former Floridian here, was recently in Orlando and Daytona Beach, love it there.

I can tell you what my cousin did, but he is a guy, when a car-jacker put a knife to his throat. Despite the fact that I would not be able to hang onto someone I would still speed off if at all possible when faced with car-jacking.

I posted an article that dealt with fact; most rational (conservatives) responded with affirmative facts as well. The opposition to this article is beyond the comprehension of anyone possessing even a modicum of intellect or empathy. Those against this woman, and me, for bringing it up argue emotionally.

When only emotions attempt to counteract facts best to ignore these delusionals. They know they do not have a leg to stand on, why all the ad hominem attacks. Rational persons debate with facts; trolls and the unwise argue emotionally. Who cares what those unable to control their emotions have to say.

If one is going to buy multiple insurance for events that are unlikely( theft insurance, home insurance, etc), I see NO good reason people shouldn't have the most basic type insurance which is food, water and weapons to protect the 1st 2. ~ Adventurejoe

+ 1, nothing trumps common sense!

gingerosity
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2015 11:50:17 PM

Posted by String6:
"A young woman defended herself and escaped being a victim of what might have been more than a robbery, not surprised that the usual suspects are not happy about it, may the same thing happen to them without a gun...one can only hope."
That is indeed very puzzling, String6. Good question.
One wonders why they would prefer she suffers at the hands of a criminal thug?

Perhaps they feel it more "honorable" that she be victimized? Weird.
They should be pleased an innocent and hard-working woman is safe.

It's because you're talking about a single data point in the present and they're talking about the entire population in the future. See the reference in message 128 where a study of 626 shootings was conducted:

"For every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and eleven attempted or completed suicides."

They're saying that the trade-off isn't worth it when you look at the big picture. That your society as a whole would be better off if there was a general reduction in gun ownership.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 162
Posted: 1/23/2015 12:23:02 AM

Posted by Gingerosity:
"For every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and eleven attempted or completed suicides."

Combining aspects of legal gunownership by law-abiding citizens and lumping that data with the suicidally-inclined, plus thugs, career criminals, gangbangers, and criminals shot by the police is disingenuous. That erroneous and threadbare statement has been trotted-out for decades. Ownership of private firearms in the United States is a Constitutional right.

Another method by which to easily reduce the number of firearms in American homes is very cost-effective and easy. For those who do not like firearms...simply do not buy one. Nobody is making anyone invest in a firearm purchase.
 HondoGal
Msg: 163
Posted: 1/23/2015 12:32:27 AM

They're saying that the trade-off isn't worth it when you look at the big picture. That your society as a whole would be better off if there was a general reduction in gun ownership.~generosity

That is impossible in today’s society. Significantly more so given the globalization aspect. The fact is that any and all criminals, yes, even those in countries that do not have an armed population like the U.S. have recently demonstrated that they have easy access to firearms (Australia and France).

Now when criminals have more rights than law-abiding citizens; now that militant Islamists have declared war on us is not the time to speak of disarming Americans.
I would never tell Australians what to do as to whether or not they should have access to firearms but unless you live in America you cannot realize the security some of us feel because we do have firearms to help protect us. Of course, there will be tragic accidents; there are these mishaps with automobiles, swimming pools and almost anything you can think of.

You have a population of 23 million, way easier to control than a population of 320 million. My state alone has some 38million people. Some of these are persons whose only purpose in immigrating here is to conduct criminal activity. Never would I give up my firearms or advise anyone else to do so. In fact, I advise all women to become proficient with firearms.

gingerosity
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 12:52:23 AM

Posted by eric_summit:
Combining aspects of legal gunownership by law-abiding citizens and lumping that data with the suicidally-inclined, plus thugs, career criminals, gangbangers, and criminals shot by the police is disingenuous

How is it disingenous to look at the whole population when you're talking about the whole population?

Ownership of private firearms in the United States is a Constitutional right.

Was anyone advocating that it be revoked?

Another method by which to easily reduce the number of firearms in American homes is very cost-effective and easy. For those who do not like firearms...simply do not buy one. Nobody is making anyone invest in a firearm purchase.

Good idea. And can they also exchange information and ideas with others on why a general reduction of gun ownership would be good for society, without being accused of endorsing violence?
 gingerosity
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 1:40:32 AM

Posted by HondoGal:
The fact is that any and all criminals, yes, even those in countries that do not have an armed population like the U.S. have recently demonstrated that they have easy access to firearms (Australia and France).

The fact is such instances are rare compared to the constant death dealt out when guns are more widely owned.

Now when criminals have more rights than law-abiding citizens; now that militant Islamists have declared war on us is not the time to speak of disarming Americans.

Not sure what you mean by criminals having more rights?
Militant islamists have been declaring war since the time of Mohammed... nothing new there.
'Now' is the only time we'll ever have to speak of anything. If you don't want to discuss it in this now, you could take Eric's advice and simply stop investing in the conversation until a now when you're more comfortable with it.

I would never tell Australians what to do as to whether or not they should have access to firearms but unless you live in America you cannot realize the security some of us feel because we do have firearms to help protect us.

You can discuss it with us, we don't bite... much.
Do you think your fear of being attacked or disarmed may be clouding your judgement in assessing the evidence objectively?
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/65786000/gif/_65786660_gun_homicides304.gif

You have a population of 23 million, way easier to control than a population of 320 million. My state alone has some 38million people. Some of these are persons whose only purpose in immigrating here is to conduct criminal activity. Never would I give up my firearms or advise anyone else to do so. In fact, I advise all women to become proficient with firearms.

Control? Who is advocating control? It is only through education and voluntarily disarming yourselves that you'll make gradual progress over the decades.
If you reduce the culture of fear and the pervasiveness of guns, do you think crime will increase or decrease?
 lyingcheat
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 3:07:01 AM

I would like for all women reading this forum to also tune into “Armed and Female”. We are fodder for criminals that seek to rape, abduct or murder. I’d like to see that changed. I believe this delivery woman sent a message to the gangsters in her area, and also, to women.

When only emotions attempt to counteract facts best to ignore these delusionals. They know they do not have a leg to stand on, why all the ad hominem attacks. Rational persons debate with facts; trolls and the unwise argue emotionally. Who cares what those unable to control their emotions have to say.

The argument that women are "fodder for criminals that seek to rape, abduct or murder" is an emotional argument that you, conspicuously, do not support with any 'facts'.
By your own definition that makes you an unwise troll.
I also note that you deplore "ad hominem attacks" and suggest that people who resort to them "know they do not have a leg to stand on".
Though you say this after having referred to Canadian forum members who disagree with you as "misinformed backwards canucks".

By your own definitions, quoted without alteration above, you've defined yourself as a delusional unwise troll making claims that no one rational should care about... but ignoring that, what are we to make of your emotional claim that women are "fodder for criminals that seek to rape, abduct or murder"?

Well... women should certainly be concerned about personal safety, but here are the facts - see the original study to access the references.

Risks and Benefits of a Gun in the Home
Whereas most men are murdered away from home, most children, older adults, and women are murdered at home.
A gun in the home is a particularly strong risk factor for female homicide victimization. Women in the United States are at far greater risk of homicide victimization than women in other developed countries, and the greatest danger for women in homicides that occur in the home comes from their intimate partners - especially partners with guns.
[snip]
A review of intimate partner homicides in Chicago over a 29-year period concluded that "an effective prevention strategy for intimate homicide of women … would be to reduce the availability of firearms in the home."
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/753058_2
Or - http://www.iansa.org/system/files/Risks and Benefits of a Gun in the Home 2011.pdf

This ^^^ doesn't address what may happen outside the home, but outside the home is not where the greatest danger lies. And to decrease the statistical odds of being harmed there the advice is to decrease the availability of firearms - not increase it, as you suggest.
 HondoGal
Msg: 167
Posted: 1/23/2015 3:57:06 AM

~Not sure what you mean by criminals having more rights?~Ginger

That is because you are young and may not be familiar with laws pertaining to criminal activity prior to the late 60s and the Warren Supreme Court.

Militant islamists have been declaring war since the time of Mohammed... nothing new there. 

The U.S. was not around in the “time of Mohammed”. Pretty difficult for them to have declared war on us back in the 5th century.

Now' is the only time we'll ever have to speak of anything. If you don't want to discuss it in this now, you could take Eric's advice and simply stop investing in the conversation until a now when you're more comfortable with it.

Eric never said that. What he said was that if someone does not want a firearm, don’t get one.
Given that I started this tread I am comfortable advocating for our right to bear arms. Because large numbers of women are afraid of guns I would like to see more of them lose that fear and become familiar with firearms.

You can discuss it with us, we don't bite... much.

LoL, sure about that?

Do you think your fear of being attacked or disarmed may be clouding your judgement in assessing the evidence objectively?

Because I am armed I do not live in fear. My judgment is clear; those firearms help keep
it that way. I live in a large home with a golf course as my back yard; some women in my similar situation are sometimes afraid because they are unarmed and feel defenseless.

It is only through education and voluntarily disarming yourselves that you'll make gradual progress over the decades. 

All in this country have been armed since its inception. We’ve make exceptional progress. In fact we have led the word for decades in grand inventions. Why disarm when being armed has worked so very well for us? Didn’t stop us from inventing trains, planes and automobiles…and the computer you’re communicating on.

If you reduce the culture of fear and the pervasiveness of guns, do you think crime will increase or decrease?

What you espouse is sweet in theory but not at all doable. I don’t know of any persons that live in a “Culture of fear”. Well, perhaps the many criminal gang members are as they conduct illegal activity 24/7. If we were to disarm the general population only the criminals would have firearms; that will never happen here.

Have you been to the U.S.? If not, you should visit; I think you’d soon become a gun toteter. And if not you might better understand that for some of us a firearm levels the field. Please read “Armed and Female” it may enlighten you as to what some women could one day be faced with. Like the woman that is the subject of this thread; sad that she has to carry on her job but good that she did.

I think what AdventureJoe said is worth repeating:
“If one is going to buy multiple insurance for events that are unlikely( theft insurance, home insurance, etc), I see NO good reason people shouldn't have the most basic type insurance which is food, water and weapons to protect the 1st 2.”

This is how I see it as well, I’m fully insured.

Walts
Msg: 168
Posted: 1/23/2015 5:50:15 AM

Really, we do not need the misinformed backwards canucks.

Nope, you definitely don't.

You definitely don't. Looks like you have all figured out all by yourself.

Because I am armed I do not live in fear. My judgment is clear; those firearms help keep
it that way. I live in a large home with a golf course as my back yard; some women in my similar situation are sometimes afraid because they are unarmed and feel defenseless.

It is only through education and voluntarily disarming yourselves that you'll make gradual progress over the decades.

All in this country have been armed since its inception. We’ve make exceptional progress. In fact we have led the word for decades in grand inventions. Why disarm when being armed has worked so very well for us? Didn’t stop us from inventing trains, planes and automobiles…and the computer you’re communicating on.

What you espouse is sweet in theory but not at all doable. I don’t know of any persons that live in a “Culture of fear”. Well, perhaps the many criminal gang members are as they conduct illegal activity 24/7. If we were to disarm the general population only the criminals would have firearms; that will never happen here.

Have you been to the U.S.? If not, you should visit; I think you’d soon become a gun toteter. And if not you might better understand that for some of us a firearm levels the field. Please read “Armed and Female” it may enlighten you as to what some women could one day be faced with. Like the woman that is the subject of this thread; sad that she has to carry on her job but good that she did.

“If one is going to buy multiple insurance for events that are unlikely( theft insurance, home insurance, etc), I see NO good reason people shouldn't have the most basic type insurance which is food, water and weapons to protect the 1st 2.”

Thank you for setting us all dumb bums straight. I'll make sure I'll never try to bother anyone across the border again trying to introduce thinking into the equation.

What a scary scary thread.

And culture.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 169
Posted: 1/23/2015 5:58:43 AM

Adjusted for accuracy.

Video of incident posted for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&v=DIsQwAdR8MI&x-yt-ts=1421914688
 lyingcheat
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 6:24:02 AM

Didn’t stop us from inventing trains, planes and automobiles…and the computer you’re communicating on.

You didn't invent trains.
In 1804, the first steam powered train would be invented by a man named Richard Trevithick. About 10 years later, another man named George Stephenson would create what is known as the Blucher, the very first train of its kind meant for railway service. They were both British, and working in England.

You didn't invent planes either.
It's widely accepted that the Wright brothers made the first powered flight - though it's not entirely uncontroversial since many people were working on the same idea simultaneously and there are several claimants. But the Wright brothers didn't 'invent' planes.

Nor did you invent automobiles.
Nicolas Cugnot, a Frenchman, built the first self-propelled (steam) road vehicle in 1769. Karl Benz, a German living in Germany, built the first true (gasoline powered) automobile in 1885-6.

The computer was a collaborative effort. Some sources credit British mathematician Charles Babbage, but most give the credit for the modern computer to Alan Turing - another Brit.
As for communicating across a network with a computer, that too was collaborative effort with several people, and groups in various countries, all working on similar ideas. The first transmission between two computers took place between a computer located at the University of California in Los Angeles to a second network node at Stanford Research Institute.
The method and protocols they used are not the ones we use to communicate across 'the internet' though.
Tim Berners-Lee, a Brit, is credited with developing html and 'www' (the world wide web) which is what allowed the creation of the thing we all (most of us) now know as 'the internet'.

So three of your four claims were entirely false, and the fourth was not unambiguously true.
You are clearly a rich source of poorly researched guesses and wildly untrue facts.
 gingerosity
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2015 6:51:03 AM

Posted by HondoGal:
laws pertaining to criminal activity prior to the late 60s and the Warren Supreme Court.

Well I skimmed the wiki on the Warren Supreme Court and didn't find any rights or protections for criminals, but only for accused citizens. Can you be more specific?

The U.S. was not around in the “time of Mohammed”. Pretty difficult for them to have declared war on us back in the 5th century.

I didn't say they did, as my point wasn't specific to the US. If you wait for them to stop before you're willing to exchange ideas, you'll die with the ideas you have.
Besides, you've been fighting them on and off since the Barbary Wars, so it's nothing new even to the US.

Eric never said that. What he said was that if someone does not want a firearm, don’t get one.
Given that I started this tread I am comfortable advocating for our right to bear arms. Because large numbers of women are afraid of guns I would like to see more of them lose that fear and become familiar with firearms.

If you don't want something, don't invest in it. That's right.
Given that you are comfortable advocating for your right to bear arms, I don't see what the problem is. I'm comfortable with it too. At the moment the discussion isn't about whether you have the right, but more like what the purpose is, whether it achieves it's stated purpose and what other effects it has on society and whether these are desirable or not. You have the right to knock holes in your roof and plant trees in your attic, but that doesn't mean it's a great idea.

If you and people like you put the money and energy you spend on guns into education and social support, do you think crime will increase or decrease?

All armed since inception... except the slaves, surely. And those too poor to afford guns. As for progress, I was referring to progress in reducing death by guns, which we were discussing, where you're certainly a stand-out among developed nations. Also progress against crime and fear.
Anyway, don't tell anyone from the other side of the Atlantic that you invented trains unless you have your guns handy.

I don’t know of any persons that live in a “Culture of fear”

Call it what you will - culture, environment, atmosphere. If you back onto a golf course and you're afraid of more than getting the odd golf ball breaking your windows, you know what I mean.

If we were to disarm the general population only the criminals would have firearms

Yes, it's very frightening. And don't forget what will happen if there is a zombie apocalypse!

Have you been to the U.S.? If not, you should visit; I think you’d soon become a gun toteter.

No, I haven't been to the US, but I've travelled in many Asian and some European countries and I don't think I've ever seen a gun with my own eyes that wasn't on a policemans' belt or in a museum.
And no I wouldn't become a toter in the US. If you grow up in a society without guns, the idea is alien and repugnant.

And if not you might better understand that for some of us a firearm levels the field. Please read “Armed and Female” it may enlighten you as to what some women could one day be faced with. Like the woman that is the subject of this thread; sad that she has to carry on her job but good that she did.

You're still looking at your situation now. We're talking about decades of work to develop your society to the point where people no longer need guns to be able to sleep at night.

We've already given the reason, which is that for every person's insurance there are many people's unhindered route to suicide, accidental and criminal homicide. The premium the population pays is many times greater than the payout it gets back.
 Walts
Msg: 172
Posted: 1/23/2015 7:09:16 AM
Back when my household use to laugh at Archie Bunker and the stuff that was said. Some here could have been writers of the sitcom I believe.

http://samuel-warde.com/2014/06/archie-bunker-explains-gun-control-video/

We've come a long way baby!!!!!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 173
Posted: 1/23/2015 7:21:25 AM
HFX_RGB...you do understand the vicious racism behind this senseless assault, don't you?
The criminal, Michael Foster (white / 43 y.o.) attacked the victim Clarence Daniels (black / 62 y.o.) and was arrested.
If Clarence Daniels was white, the younger criminal Michael Foster would have assumed he was a LEO.

A proud black man like Mr. Daniels should be able to visit any store in contemporary America without being violently attacked simply because he is perceived as "dangerous" because of the color of his skin. Stop promoting this racism like it is a good thing. Racist criminal Michael Foster should have never have attacked Clarence Daniels.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 174
Posted: 1/23/2015 7:35:04 AM

HFX_RGB...you do understand the vicious racism behind this senseless assault, don't you?

Nope, as it is just a case of a gun nut taking his sidearm to Wal-mart.

It goes to highlight the point that guns do not make people safer, as the cause people to do stupid stuff, like we saw happen just a couple of days ago.

If you can not see how this situation could have gotten even worse than you really do not understand.

A proud black man like Mr. Daniels should be able to visit any store in contemporary America without being violently attacked simply because he is perceived as "dangerous" because of the color of his skin.

FYI: America is not a country, it is a landmass in the western hemisphere that consists of the continents of North and South America which includes several countries.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 175
Posted: 1/23/2015 7:35:48 AM

No, I haven't been to the US, but I've travelled in many Asian and some European countries and I don't think I've ever seen a gun with my own eyes that wasn't on a policemans' belt or in a museum.
And no I wouldn't become a toter in the US. If you grow up in a society without guns, the idea is alien and repugnant.

I don't live in a lily white suburb in a neighborhood of McMansions...I live in a normal middle class racially diverse area of New England.

I have never seen anyone other than the police with a gun in public...my neighbor hunts-I've never seen his weapons either (because he goes out at 4am in the deer season.) This idea that 90% of Americans are packing is absurd.

But, there is this notion, perpetrated by fear mongers (and the pathologically frightened public-see OP) that there is a criminal on every street corner of the US waiting to assault, rape, kill, rob every passerby...and if they're not on the street corner, then thy wait outside ones home till the lights go out to assault, rape, kill, rob.

If you and people like you put the money and energy you spend on guns into education and social support

The simple equation is poverty=crime...urban and rural poverty=crime...heroin and crack drug crime in the cities and methamphetamine drug crime in the rural communities....drug dealing is generally the only well paying jobs for the urban and rural poor.....deal with poverty and crime goes way down....Educate the poor, they then have marketable skills, thus emerging from poverty.

But, the teapuppets listen to the teapuppet masters who's criminal greed drove this country into recession...and what they hear is, cut medicare, medicaid, social security, CHIP, WIC, make college loans have unreasonable terms, do away with Pell Grants, give votures so that every white middle class achieving child will be accepted at the local Charter school-while poor white and minority students are left behind at public schools which are losing funding.....and get more guns
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.