Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Professional Athletes      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Fire_and_Ice4_You
Msg: 26
Professional AthletesPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Does a pro rodeo bull rider count? Can't even remember his name now...many years back...lol.
Oh and I met one of the Sutter brothers (NHL hockey) in a social setting. I wasn't impressed....he was hitting on women and I knew he was married.
My daughter dated an up and coming famous hockey player for a short time....I thought nothing of it.
I think dating an athlete can be different if they travel and like any relationship there has to be trust...
I am sure....money and fame can go to anyones head....I am always astonished how some people regard or idolize people of fame and wealth...
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 27
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 9:56:29 AM
Having done contract security for the above mentioned publication my experience with professional athletes is that there are quite a few who are level headed and seemed like decent people, those that came to the venues we were at with the entourage of wannabe's seemed pretty arrogant and egotistical. Just my observation in
those particular settings though.
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 28
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 11:04:21 AM
Hotdogshop
I followed MLB in childhood and in my 20s. While living in Baltimore went to see the Pirates in Philly stayed at same hotel they did. Jocks are pretty much sleazy, they hitted on me and women are at their disposal 24/7 if they want it. Nobody will change this.

Really? The ones you saw down in the bar MIGHT be the sleazy ones. I've seen and served enough of these guys in a bar to know a few of them had a beer or two and went home alone. What about the ones who were in their rooms on the phone with their wives and kids that you didn't see. What about the one that was in his room studying his bible because he wanted to be minister? What about the ones that had their wives with them on the road?

As Always
LePew
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 29
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 11:12:07 AM

I guess the equivalent for a man would be to date one of the cheerleaders for a pro team. Or maybe a Playboy centerfold?

Actually, not so much, really. I wouldn't say that's a spot-on comparison... because many pro-athletes aren't going to be Hot. Sure, Tom Brady is modelesque -- but look at Tony Homo Romo -- just an ok-looking guy. The cheerleaders & Playboy centerfolds are riding off pure looks as The reason. Athletes, college and pro? No. Their bodies in most sports will be solidly above-average, sure, but that's not the reason. It's Fame/Popularity.

The best equivalent for guys And girls, are actors (who are in athletic shape). It's a fame/popularity thing. A "big deal" socially, as being looked up to by many in society.

could a post get any more misogynistic . . and creepy

Uhh, yes... because his post wasn't misogynistic. Misogynistic means a dislike or hatred toward women (which can be carried out in a number of ways). He wasn't even implying that in any way shape or form. Shallow? In some ways, I guess -- just as much as liking someone because they're famous, just as liking someone because of good looks. Actually, good looks has less of a shallow basis, IMO. I find it more shallow if a gal's bragging about having gone out on a date with a QB who's not easy on the eyes, but, because he's the local football player, she feels she's carrying tons of bragging rights. Now, a QB who looks like Tom Brady? Less shallow, because, even (hetero) guys will realize -- yeah, he's a real good looking guy.
 hotdogshop100
Msg: 30
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 12:09:08 PM
I had season tickets to the Orioles in the late 1980s also. Plenty of women around the dugout flirting even had a mother of teen daughters whose dream goal was to have them marry ball players. By the way I wasn't hanging out in a bar to meet the players they approached me in the hallway while I was getting diet soda beverages for me and a friend I was with. One was married with a kid. Only reason to tolerate a jock is for the money.
 junipermoon
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 12:20:37 PM
i don't know if it qualifies, but i dated a professional racehorse trainer. he grew up on the track where his father worked as a jockey (he - the father - rode twice in the ky derby). my ex did have a couple horses win breeding awards.

i have a weird ability to memorize thoroughbred lineages. he wanted to take me to sales because he considered that invaluable to sellers and owners. we never got that far, unfortunately.

he always assured me that he didn't drug his horses and he never did anything that would injure them. i was lucky to meet one of the track good guys. plus, he was in fantastic shape.
 aj7125
Msg: 32
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 1:06:02 PM
"Men: How would you feel if your female friend, daughter, sister, etc. wanted to date a professional athlete, as opposed to a 'regular guy'?"

^^^^^^^ I have been around many professional athletes from many different areas and teams. Because I have, I always find it amusing how some women go crazy because the guy is a pro athlete. The guys, they are what you will find in the "regular" world, creeps, nice guys, players, cheaters.

My point is, if I had a daughter, she probably would have been exposed to knowing athletes and would have been able to see the same as I have and made decisions just like she would normally. Good and bad everywhere for men and women. So to me, being exposed to the life, it comes down to making good choices, just like in here or anywhere.
 overunity
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 2:26:46 PM
My observations of "professional athletes" is that of semi literate adults playing school yard games and being paid handsomely to do so. Until their "talents" take the toll on their bodies and they become unappealing to the gold diggers and FANatics. Hope they save their coin for rehab, if it's even possible to fix them then, lol.
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 34
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 4:24:02 PM
Hotdogshop

Only reason to tolerate a jock is for the money.

Really I am not picking on you but its a good debate. lol

Seriously, Do you know what the salary of the average 1st string pitcher was in the 80's on a farm team?. I can tell you that 40k a season was not good money by the time they paid expenses. Franchise negotiated leases for apartments but even still with expenses they paid to play in the big house... remember they are still paying college tuition in most cases, off season homes and family obligations. I know LOTS of players who had apartments with no furniture or couldn't afford cars. Trust me in the 80's, no big pay off. That was before big money if you were a "superstar".

Now I am being careful here but when you say there is no reason to tolerate a jock but for the money is hogwash. Maybe for a gold digger... there is that bad word but most "groupies" will do it for the social connection. That doesn't make the players that are players bad. You exploit me, I exploit you. I just know a lot of professionals that were committed to the game. Not the groupies.

Overunity msg 37
Sorry but my computer wont do quote for some reason.

I will be happy to let FSU the degree in engineering they gave him is useless. If I truly thought that my daughter would not be attending there. I will tell another out of USCLA his business MBA is useless. Sorry your theory does not hold up. Look up Troy Palamalu (hope I spelled that right) Who went back to school while playing in the NFL to get his degree. No in todays standards these men and women a brilliant and need to be in a field that is math and statistically driven. Right now sports comes down to numbers. If your "stupid" your out or your gifted... and then it's not going to carry you through.

LePew
 Blackwood85
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 5:21:57 PM

Seriously, Do you know what the salary of the average 1st string pitcher was in the 80's on a farm team?. I can tell you that 40k a season was not good money by the time they paid expenses. Franchise negotiated leases for apartments but even still with expenses they paid to play in the big house... remember they are still paying college tuition in most cases, off season homes and family obligations. I know LOTS of players who had apartments with no furniture or couldn't afford cars. Trust me in the 80's, no big pay off. That was before big money if you were a "superstar".

Now I am being careful here but when you say there is no reason to tolerate a jock but for the money is hogwash. Maybe for a gold digger... there is that bad word but most "groupies" will do it for the social connection. That doesn't make the players that are players bad. You exploit me, I exploit you. I just know a lot of professionals that were committed to the game. Not the groupies.

There are quite a few athletes who have been with their S/O since high school before they even made money. Only the top players make millions of dollars though the role players are being moved around constantly, traded and released they're fringed type players making the league minimum which isn't guaranteed money and that's for the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL that's not counting minor leagues and development leagues. If a gold digger had a choice between an athlete and a CEO who makes 6-7 figures they're choosing an CEO. If old ass Donald Sterling was able to sleep with women a 70% his age and be their sugar daddy as opposed to say Ekpe Udoh that says something. There are young players on the Clippers who would have no problem wining and dining a girl but Sterling is the one who got laid simply because he's a billionaire a old ass racist, shitty owner billionaire.
 south_city
Msg: 36
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 5:26:02 PM

My observations of "professional athletes" is that of semi literate adults playing school yard games and being paid handsomely to do so.

The intelligence level of professional athletes greatly varies. Some are very bright and others aren't. Just like other professions.
 Fire_and_Ice4_You
Msg: 37
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 5:36:58 PM

. If old ass Donald Sterling was able to sleep with women a 70% his age

Wasn't that something? Made me cringe....what some people will do for money and other luxuries.
Mind you the old coot was so senile...I don't even think he was getting any from her near the end.
Plus.....I didn't think she was "hot"....she was young and playing him for a fool.....she knew what she was doing, that's why she taped him.
I was glad that played out the way it did....for once...justice was served.
Even though, I still don't think he owned up to his racist remarks......senile, delusional and because of his money...thought untouchable.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 6:13:59 PM

My observations of "professional athletes" is that of semi literate adults playing school yard games and being paid handsomely to do so. Until their "talents" take the toll on their bodies and they become unappealing to the gold diggers and FANatics. Hope they save their coin for rehab, if it's even possible to fix them then, lol.

I'm sorry but me playing a pick up games against my friends and co-workers every once in a while isn't the same as playing against the top 5% in the world, my best friend may be 6'4" but he's not Derrick Rose, Stephen Curry, James Harden, Damian Lillard, John Wall or Russell Westbrook. He's not hitting teardrop floaters, doing no look passes out of spin moves, double faking and splitting two defenders for a dunk. Neither one of us are averaging over 50% from the field.
 gtomustang
Msg: 39
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 10:32:31 PM
Put me down for another favorable vote for Barbara Eden. Used to work w/ a female cop who looked like an "older" version of BE, and had the outgoing personality to go right along with it. Her husband was a quiet, p0lite man, and I'm sure he was happy while she was still alive.

Dated a former Hawaiian Tropic model (closest to a pro athelete I guess, label me myso) who once dated an NFL player (yay, I was better in bed than he was, lol). I'll concur that not all pro atheletes are Neanderthals using sports to get out of an otherwise lousy life. I remember when Whitney Houston was going thru her troubles, and a "brother" I worked with lamented, "you can take the girl out of the city, but you can't get the city out of the girl."

some people are low class, and wherever they go...there they are. They can't escape themself. Becoming a celebrity, yes, gives them a get-out-of-jail pass. When I went to university and they were winning the Big East, the players who weren't 21 still got let into the bars. But, in the movie "Cool Runnings" John Candy's character said it best about gold medals not changing who you are.

you don't "arrive" if you're already there. you just get recognized for being there....by more than just your friends and family. Of course, the celebrities who are jerks off the stage or court...make for interesting news. so we hear about them.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/18/2015 11:05:44 PM
It reminds me of women who decided not to date guys in the military because out of the millions of men who are in the military they had one bad experience when in reality it's just the guy who's the ***hole not his profession that's making him an ***hole.
 hotdogshop100
Msg: 41
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/19/2015 8:08:12 AM
I highly disagree with the above statement. Athletes have written books endlessly about how much fornication happens on the road while the wife and girlfriends are away. I have also seen it in person. I'd rather deal with someone who isn't a chick magnet who is in a regular occupation. Military men you'd hardly see them as they are away so much and their occupation is not even relative to a jocks.
 nocrapzone
Msg: 42
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/19/2015 8:12:25 AM
Ray Rice may be available

great guy if you can handle the occasional punch to the head..

that Janay is one tough woman

ah well, it seems the NFL is down slightly from the minimum one indictable offense per week

or maybe more are just skating, getting away with it due to fame

like the LA cops called to the Simpson home on suspicion of domestic abuse/assault who ending up

fawning over OJ & asking him for his autograph..ah well, Ron Goldman & Nicole Simpson paid for

it in the end

nocrapzone
Msg: 43
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/19/2015 8:19:26 AM
there ARE female pro athletes, ya know.. the original question is a little sexist..

would I date one of the Williams sisters, pro tennis athletes?..um, I'd be scared lol
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 44
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/19/2015 2:04:51 PM

Do you know what the salary of the average 1st string pitcher was in the 80's on a farm team?. I can tell you that 40k a season was not good money by the time they paid expenses.

40k was WAY above the average pay for a pro-ball player in the minors. Minor leaguers, although pro-ballers -- get LITTLE MONEY:

The 6,000 current minor-leaguers have no union or bargaining power and are paid on a fixed scale, set by Major League Baseball, that starts at $1,100 a month at rookie Class A leagues and rises to $2,150 for the top-level Triple-A leagues, the suit said.

Now, if you're a good draft pick and are learning your game post-college/post-high-school, you're obviously going to have a LOT more. And that right there is minimum pay, so if you're not some Rare "stah" rising up to get your feet wet in pro-ball -- you're going to be making Less than many guys at the bar who are hitting on the same girl.

I have been around many professional athletes from many different areas and teams. Because I have, I always find it amusing how some women go crazy because the guy is a pro athlete. The guys, they are what you will find in the "regular" world, creeps, nice guys, players, cheaters.

Yeah, it is weird -- but it's the Fame/Popularity that's associated with it. Not "He's got a great curveball, even though he could use some work on his fastball..." or "He's so hot... I was so ga-ga about him from the beginning, and didn't know he played ball until after our 2nd date!"
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 45
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/19/2015 4:36:09 PM
Norwegianguy

Do you know what the salary of the average 1st string pitcher was in the 80's on a farm team?. I can tell you that 40k a season was not good money by the time they paid expenses.

40k was WAY above the average pay for a pro-ball player in the minors. Minor leaguers, although pro-ballers -- get LITTLE MONEY:

To clarify, the gentleman I was talking about also played major league and also had responsibilities as a pitching coach. He was also a lefty.
Carry on! ;^)

LePew
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 46
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:27:34 PM

To clarify, the gentleman I was talking about also played major league and also had responsibilities as a pitching coach

Okay, that's a TOTALLY different story, and is zero indicator of average pay for a minor leaguer.

But again, it's not the $$ they make -- although misguided assumptions that they Could get rich could be a part of it. It's a fame/popularity thing that is the major Draw. Which is kind of odd when (unfortunately) too many women claim men are more shallow. Hmm.
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 47
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/19/2015 5:42:59 PM
Norgewian... I am thinking your post over. Im not sure it is spot on. I have read this over several times.

Can I ask... What is your experience in the field represent?

I can only relate mind and btw I did say in my first post he was called up by the Twins and was a pitching coach.

Tired tonight
Lepew.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 48
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/19/2015 6:20:44 PM

I am thinking your post over. Im not sure it is spot on. I have read this over several times.

What's not? That Minor Leaguers, for the most part, make peanuts -- Especially in the 80s? That's just a fact. There are some hot prospects who sign a nice contract to develop in the minors first, as assumed that's just a warm-up to the majors rather quickly.

Can I ask... What is your experience in the field represent?

Don't know what you're asking, exactly. To know how teachers are paid doesn't require teaching experience, if that's what you're going with it. One doesn't even need to be a baseball analyst (like I pretty much was in the 80s as kid), especially in today's day and age, to find out how much minor leaguers make in general.

I can only relate mind

You can look it up, though. When you're a hardcore baseball fan, even as a kid, you find that out. In today's information age, it's pretty easy. You don't have to relate to your experiences. In fact, that may skew you a bit. I have a buddy from college, when working in rich suburbs as a teacher for many years, he was making $85k a year. Holy sh!t, right? If I only based it off that One thing, I would be thinking teachers are generally making that. But looking up the average salary, or the minimum-maximum salary would be more accurate.

I did say in my first post he was called up by the Twins and was a pitching coach.

$40k was a lot in the 80s -- and even a Good amount now -- for the minors. If he was actually a pitching coach while he played, he was one of the veteran minor-league players. Being called up will give you at least a nice jolt of Cash, of course. If you're a young player who's going back-n-forth from AAA->majors & back, you'll be making Way more than the average minor leaguer.

Anyway, no sense in veering off in sub-subjects. Point being -- minor leaguers, generally speaking, make Very Little. You will have a rising star here and there who will be making some good bank though.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/19/2015 7:18:20 PM

there ARE female pro athletes, ya know.. the original question is a little sexist..

would I date one of the Williams sisters, pro tennis athletes?..um, I'd be scared lol

Venus? No
Serena? Yes.

This is fun

Tennis players:
Maria Sharapova
Mandy Minella
Eugenie Bouchard
Sabine Lisicki

WNBA players
Candice Wiggins
Candace Parker
Skylar Diggins all over
Brittany Jackson
Erin Phillips
Elena Delle Donne
Sue Bird and Maya Moore aren't hot but they're both cuties.

MMA
Ronda Rousey
Miesha Tate
Gina Carano (Though she's retired now)
Cat Zingano is cute
Kyra Gracie (though she's a grappler instead of a fighter)
Paige Vanzant definitely Paige Vanzant
Felice Herrig

Professional wrestling (hey they get paid and they're athletes or at least athletic)
AJ Lee
Sasha Banks
Paige
Emma
Alicia Fox
Cheerleader Melissa
Alisson Wonderland
Jessicka Havok in a this girl is totally insane hot kinda way
Brooke Adams
Velvet Sky
Layla

As you can I ain't got no type, hot chicks are the only thing that I like.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/19/2015 8:47:44 PM
Yea they're going to fight in April for UFC on Fox 15
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Professional Athletes