Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Professional Athletes      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blackwood85
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Professional AthletesPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Yea they're going to fight in April for UFC on Fox 15
 gtomustang
Msg: 51
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/19/2015 9:23:51 PM
"Athletes have written books endlessly about how much fornication happens on the road "

>>>a few have, many haven't. Thing is, if Lester the Traveling Salesman wrote a book on all the bar waitresses he banged during layovers at O'Hare airport....who would bother to publish such trash about a man no one knows? Celebrities are news, our similar exploits...aren't. When did most of these stories occur, in the Seventies when sex was safe and wife swapping and experimentation was popular with both celebrities and Joe Average?

Granted, you take a young male, you give him status, women throwing their young bodies at him when the wife ain't around....what are the odds he might be a moral human being? About as good as the odds our own young sons don't cheat on their gfs or wives any chance they get offered. For every celebrity who takes advantage, there's likely one who thinks his body is a temple.

It is ironic, the celebrity is a slut, but the women throwing themselves at someone they know is married....in the end,if someone prefers not to trust a celebrity to be celebate, they are welcome to pass on dating that celebrity--he can, apparently, always get someone else.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 52
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 4:47:01 AM
I've avoided this thread because this is one area of my life where stereotyping has served me well.

I've never dated "athletes", professional or otherwise, and that's from the time I began dating in high school. I don't do stupid well.

There it is. Bring out all the exceptions to the rule.
 i8pineapple
Msg: 53
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 4:54:48 AM
Yeah I wouldnt mind tapping an athlete, whats not to like. Specially if its beach volleyball or something cute.
 Walts
Msg: 54
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 5:20:22 AM
Thinking about this thread a bit, I do believe perception of "athletes" starts early. High school like. Quickly, you become part of a "group". Nerds, smokers, athletes, etc. Many people only belong to "one" of those groups, eliminating any potential to actually "know" any of the other.

How many movies, shows or whatever slam the "star" quarterback in highschool? The guy that a lot drool over during those school days, and then, when you see him later in life, he is a fat, lazy, beer drinking slug, that has little, if no life. Many wish karma would work that way.

Yes, there are a sexual escapades when a group of men(boys) go on road trips, visit the nightclubs, etc. THAT happens if the boys/men are athletes or not. But, because these athletes are in the limelight, it is assumed everyone of em plays that way. Why???? Because you read about it, or see it on the 6 o'clock news.

I grew up around athletes. Part of em. You did see a lot of shenanigans when we were younger. Yeah, young boys, playing around. Who woulda thought????? But, as with a lot of us, when we grew up, we grew up. To this day, some of these guys I would go to battle with. They love their wives, fight to the end for their children, and are excellent leaders in fields OTHER than athletic.

But, if you feel the need to label them all, so be it. I would have to say though, if you have never been part of it, how can you actually do the labelling? By reading newspapers and money generating "biographies"????? I would suggest you do much more research.
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 55
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 5:57:55 AM

By reading newspapers and money generating "biographies"????? I would suggest you do much more research.

Oh, I've been quite close to professional/semi-pro athletics in different areas of my life. I've done a lot of research into the mentality. I never had a group in high school; I was a cross-over. Yeah, when you're a young girl with half a brain, you get to watch what these guys are like from an early age.

I have a lot of respect for your opinions here, Walts (glad you're all over that homosexuality thread because I stay away from the issues that get my heart rate up), but I'm a sapiophile. Those with the sports mentality and I just don't have enough common ground.
 Following_Up
Msg: 56
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 8:13:00 AM
I was an athlete in high school and college and tended to date men who were as well. I actually wanted to be a college level coach when I started my education but realized (after going to a Division 1 school) it wasn't the world I wanted to be in.

In the 80's I was single and mingling in a rather 'small market' for an NFL team and ran in the same circles as some of the players, some TV sports folks etc. I actually see someone on TV screen each Sunday in the fall that I shared a bad first date with -- it still makes me laugh.

Since I've been single again, I dated a man who played basketball in Europe for awhile and met a few former pro NFL/CFL guys. I also had a very weird coincidence of having first dates with a guy who had a gold medal and one who had a silver medal. Different sports, different Olympics, neither men I wanted to continue with. Never met that elusive guy with the Bronze! lol.

I love sports and I am still very active (am a runner now). So I suppose it made some sense that I have often been drawn to athletes. But my issue with them (in general not every one, my college BF was a national caliber runner and the most humble guy you could ever meet, he was a dream) is the sense of entitlement they seem to have. As someone who has struggled with a lack of that (sense of entitlement) it never turned out to be a good fit for me. Not blaming -- I suspect when you do things that cause people to CHEER for you, it's somewhat easy you believe you are all that?
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 57
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 8:46:02 AM

For every celebrity who takes advantage, there's likely one who thinks his body is a temple.

I highly disagree with that (body is a temple meaning pretty much sexually prudish). I think most guys, when they do have status/fame -- are going to utilize it decently well. I would more agree that for every single guy who enters the fame-arena and porks every cutie he can -- there'll be another who doesn't So much (and just "gets a lot of action" compared to the average Joe in average Joe life).

I'd more agree with you on high school sports in terms of popularity in the high school. :)

In college, just the popularity there having college chicks put out like semi-automatics -- no, not every athlete does that, but it's temptation/fun that is kind of strong. Being a celebrity, there's going to be a lot of free-wheeling porking going on -- even contributed by decent guys.

I've never dated "athletes", professional or otherwise, and that's from the time I began dating in high school. I don't do stupid well.

Athletes aren't stupid. That's a really inaccurate analogy. Sure, it's an arena you can find some stupid people -- sure. Is it the only arena? No, not by a longshot. There's more than enough intelligent guys in the athletic dept.

Now, if a gal's Real picky on a guy's intellect, she probably isn't going to want to Chase some athlete she otherwise doesn't know or ever met. I can understand that, as instead, it'd be more like her scoping for guys in only Select arenas (college profs or grad students at good colleges if younger; quaint nerd-bars instead of boom-boom clubs, etc). But if said gal meets a guy she likes and he says "Oh, I'm also an athlete," she shouldn't auto-assume he's lacking intellect. :)
 CTRLvector
Msg: 58
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:02:33 AM
I've never been the intimidated type so id be cool with it, I used to box too. But to go pro you need to put like 7 days a week in, and that's hard when you have to pay rent. I stayed amateur

That reminds me of a night out I had years ago where I met a guy who claimed he was a professional boxer and then proceeded to start throwing punches in the club (at the air) in an attempt to impress me.

Did he also have footwork going? That's not embarrassing at all lol.
 Maleman999
Msg: 59
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:13:31 AM
On another thread, the question was asked "If you're on a date/first meet and the person you're with asks you how many sex partners have you had, how would you answer?" Almost all replies to to the effect "It's none of their, or anybody elses, business." Yet, when it comes to pro athletes and celebrities, so many people think their sex and private life should be everybody's business. A lot of people are paparazzi wanna-bees.
 ohenryx
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:14:45 AM

Walts
Thinking about this thread a bit, I do believe perception of "athletes" starts early. High school like. Quickly, you become part of a "group". Nerds, smokers, athletes, etc. Many people only belong to "one" of those groups, eliminating any potential to actually "know" any of the other.

How many movies, shows or whatever slam the "star" quarterback in highschool? The guy that a lot drool over during those school days, and then, when you see him later in life, he is a fat, lazy, beer drinking slug, that has little, if no life. Many wish karma would work that way.

I was a bit of a nerd in high school. Smarter than everybody else, and bragged about it too much. (Never a good idea.) I had a number of male friends, very good friends, but the girls wouldn’t touch me with a 10 foot pole. A couple of my good friends were on the football team, and they convinced me to go out for football, despite the fact that I was not “athletic”. It turns out that I made a pretty good offensive lineman, just blocking, at least good enough to make the starting team. And all of a sudden, I could get dates. Amazing, that.

One of my good friends who played football went on to become a doctor. Labeling athletes as “just dumb jocks” is not a good idea.
 OtisGreening
Msg: 61
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:28:43 AM
I'm with hotdogshop. I wouldn't want to date any man who is sought after by a lot of women, that goes for pro-athletes, musicians who tour, etc. When I say professional athlete, I'm talking about people with a certain level of fame and/or celebrity. Read between the lines.

Dating and finding a right partner is already hard enough as it is. I'd rather not complicate it by dating a person who's going to be surrounded by a bunch of thirsty girls AND on the road for extended periods of time.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 62
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 12:03:44 PM

When I say professional athlete, I'm talking about people with a certain level of fame and/or celebrity.

But that DOES fall into:

I wouldn't want to date any man who is sought after by a lot of women

After all, as you phrased it, you said pro-athlete as opposed to a "regular guy". Celebrity status, fame -- even local fame -- will bring in thirsty girls. Now, a guy who has no fame or any real popularity except among his own clan -- but plays the "I'm a pro athlete" card -- well, to many women (notably those who don't follow sports so much), will assume there's fame or soon-to-be-fame attached, and that will tickle their Elmo. So although he won't be surrounded by a bunch of thirsty women -- he doesn't have any level of fame or celebrity (which is why)... however, he can help create a thirsty gal without too much effort if he's decent looking and that concept turns her on.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 4:20:15 PM

After all, as you phrased it, you said pro-athlete as opposed to a "regular guy". Celebrity status, fame -- even local fame -- will bring in thirsty girls. Now, a guy who has no fame or any real popularity except among his own clan -- but plays the "I'm a pro athlete" card -- well, to many women (notably those who don't follow sports so much), will assume there's fame or soon-to-be-fame attached, and that will tickle their Elmo. So although he won't be surrounded by a bunch of thirsty women -- he doesn't have any level of fame or celebrity (which is why)... however, he can help create a thirsty gal without too much effort if he's decent looking and that concept turns her on.

Exactly, I'm sure most women don't know who Taj Gibson at least women who don't follow basketball, he's the 6th man on the Chicago Bulls the first guy off the bench and the first guy to start if Pau Gasol or Joakim Noah get injured. Gibson isn't an household name but he's well known in Chicago and he makes 8 million a year which most 29 years old can't say they make he can easily attract a thirsty chick if he wanted to, I'm not sure if he's that kind of guy, he's had a pretty interesting life to say the least.

I was a bit of a nerd in high school. Smarter than everybody else, and bragged about it too much. (Never a good idea.) I had a number of male friends, very good friends, but the girls wouldn’t touch me with a 10 foot pole. A couple of my good friends were on the football team, and they convinced me to go out for football, despite the fact that I was not “athletic”. It turns out that I made a pretty good offensive lineman, just blocking, at least good enough to make the starting team. And all of a sudden, I could get dates. Amazing, that.

One of my good friends who played football went on to become a doctor. Labeling athletes as “just dumb jocks” is not a good idea.

I was a geek in high school but I also played football and ran track, tried to wrestle too but weight cutting was a ****. We weren't a very good football team only made the playoffs once and I wasn't an star athlete so it's not like any of us were pulling chicks left and right. So the stereotype unfortunately didn't apply to any of us. Thinking back high school wasn't that cliquish it seemed like it was but it wasn't at least for me it wasn't, my personality was such that I just got along with everyone for the most part.
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 64
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/20/2015 11:12:25 PM
Norwegianguy.
From your previous post you have no first hand knowledge about players paychecks. All of your info was gleaned from the internet.
I can tell you that in the midst of a card game I have heard the pizzing and moaning over screwed up pay checks. That is my reality. If you care to define everything in life as posted on the net... um. Well I guess live your world and rock it. I just know what I know and with good reason. These guys were not rich but they made some money and yes they were pretty average.
Good day!

LePew.
 ginghamgal
Msg: 65
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/21/2015 6:27:52 AM

There it is. Bring out all the exceptions to the rule.

It's more than just a few "exceptions to the rule". When I was growing up, many of the students on the honor roll also played sports.
 south_city
Msg: 66
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/21/2015 6:57:33 AM

When I was growing up, many of the students on the honor roll also played sports.

Exactly. I played football and was on the National Honor Society in high school. A large percentage of people on the National Honor Society also played sports. I think a more reasonable concern is the amount of time they will spend away from home. Although that can apply to other professions. Truck drivers, flight attendants / pilots etc.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 67
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/21/2015 8:02:02 AM
I've dated plenty of women that were aerobic instructors, triathletes, runners, yoga instructors and what not. But the closest to a professional was my last girlfriend. She was for many years a professional ballerina. She danced for small companies, so she never got the chance of the big time with companies like in Atlanta or New York, so she retired, had children and got a regular job, went back to school.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/21/2015 3:50:07 PM

Exactly. I played football and was on the National Honor Society in high school. A large percentage of people on the National Honor Society also played sports. I think a more reasonable concern is the amount of time they will spend away from home. Although that can apply to other professions. Truck drivers, flight attendants / pilots etc.

When I was in high school and played football I was on AB honor roll for all 4 years.

My cousin played basketball and graduated Magma Cum Laude.

There's a reason why NFL players have to take the wonderlic test, a 50 question test in 12 minutes and while they're not exactly difficult, they're not easy either. A lot of reasoning, comparison questions and math problems and vocabulary thrown in. I'm not sure if they're allowed calculators or not and no one knows if it's more important to answer all of the questions or get the ones you know right.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 69
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/21/2015 4:10:59 PM

Norwegianguy.
From your previous post you have no first hand knowledge about players paychecks. All of your info was gleaned from the internet.

Lady -- rent a clue. You can look up the average salary of (almost) anything on the Internet. I'm not arguing the guy you were banging in the 80s made 40k. It wasn't the norm. And I didn't even have the Internet then -- but you can read books and Learn things, too.

Why don't you look it up yourself on the average salary? Or major league players telling funny stories about having to use Aluminum foil for their sheets in their apartments before making it and how big of a jump it is? Players tell their stories, average salaries coming from the leagues have records, etc. It's NOT SPECULATION. You're just making an arse out of yourself.
 theoracleofdelphi
Msg: 70
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/21/2015 4:57:28 PM
Two pro hockey players (one recently retired, the other still active in the NHL), one baseball player (peaked in AA), and honestly, I had a good time with each of them...just not enough to marry them.

And before judgements are levvied, I am not now, nor have I ever been a groupie.

In my experience, the vast majority of the guys are no different than guys in any other profession...you've got your nice guys, your players, your arrogant know-it-alls. If you are considering dating one, just think about if you would tolerate anything giving you pause from a desk jockey, teacher, construction worker, or any other average joe. The truth is, once their playing days are over and they aren't in the spotlight, that's all they are.
 PenelopeLeChat
Msg: 71
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/22/2015 12:25:28 PM
Norweigianguy
Lady -- rent a clue. You can look up the average salary of (almost) anything on the Internet. I'm not arguing the guy you were banging in the 80s made 40k. It wasn't the norm. And I didn't even have the Internet then -- but you can read books and Learn things, too.

Why don't you look it up yourself on the average salary? Or major league players telling funny stories about having to use Aluminum foil for their sheets in their apartments before making it and how big of a jump it is? Players tell their stories, average salaries coming from the leagues have records, etc. It's NOT SPECULATION. You're just making an arse out of yourself.

I hardly think that my disagreeing with you requires you to resort to making derogatory comments towards me. The guy I was "banging"? Really? Where did I say this? However, nice little tantrum you are throwing because someone *gasp* dares to disagree with you. Now here is a cookie. Go outside and play. Remember... just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it real.

and the irony of it is he thinks I am being an arse.

SMH

LePew
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 72
Professional Athletes
Posted: 1/22/2015 12:43:52 PM
It's not that you disagree. It's that you're throwing an ILLOGICAL tantrum purely because you don't agree, and you refuse to look at the facts, that only requires the web browser you're replying in. Wake up -- you're digging yourself a hole. It's not even controversial, nor Has It Ever Been, lady:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/minor-leaguers-working-poor-lawsuit-mlb-bud-selig

Check out that link. Google "average minor league baseball player's salary". You'll see what hole you dug yourself in. Again, you tried Starting an argument when the Facts have stared you in the face the whole time. Hope you don't raise kids to make judgement calls like that, but instead off who they knew/dated/banged/married in said industry.
 GhettoFoot
Msg: 73
Professional Athletes
Posted: 11/14/2016 2:50:09 PM
I'm not single but I'd prefer to stay far away from pro-athletes. My co-worker enthusiastically invited me to a nightclub where Mariners and Seahawks frequent. Apparently she was invited by a Mariner that she was talking to. I swiftly answered no because she was supposed to hang out with a group of them in a VIP section. I don't feel comfortable with a group of unfamiliar men in settings where there are alcohol and possibly drugs present, especially when said men have a history of treating women as conquests. I have more self-respect than that. Anyway, my co-worker has already ****ed two of them, and they both ghosted her shortly afterwards. I felt like asking, "well, what did you expect?" All the more reason to not fraternize with them.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 74
Professional Athletes
Posted: 11/14/2016 5:26:05 PM
I watched Catching Kelce what a****ad/
Surprised he can catch a cold let alone a ball
And they are drooling over him. I reckon he will pick the woman with the biggest rack
As said one woman " even his shadow is sexy"
But I had animal cookies and couldn't look away.
Sundays :)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Professional Athletes