Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men Who Never Learned to Cook      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DietFree
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Men Who Never Learned to CookPage 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
^^^I tried that once, Szas, but it didn't work.

It said to let stand for 5 minutes....the damn food just laid there, not standing. AAAAGH!!!
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Men Who Never Learned to Cook
Posted: 1/19/2015 8:26:41 PM
^^^^

Eat at other people's places and then do their dishes:)

A credit card and a phone book works in a pinch.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/19/2015 8:43:06 PM

Eat at other people's places and then do their dishes:)

Actually, that's quite a common thing -- especially if the woman likes to cook (even though it can be exhausting) and that's not the guy's forte anyway. My mom & dad? When she makes a big dinner, he'll make the salad (he eats salad a lot) -- and he'll do the dishes. I have found that to be a common thing. I don't see why a gal would huff & puff at a guy if he was like, "I'll do the dishes -- and grab stuff for you out of the freezer in the basement, and some of the little things."

A credit card and a phone book works in a pinch.

So do condoms. "Hey, but I brought the condoms. You cook the dinner. Even-Steven, right?" ;)
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/19/2015 8:50:44 PM
My concern is: Can he play HIDE THE BALONEY? ;0P

fry that!
 gtomustang
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/19/2015 9:00:46 PM
and that's the only time baloney will be noticed in my kitchen...bleck. But I like salami and good sausage, go figure.

Being sensual with your partner, while making a sensual meal as the setting sun paints the kitchen reddish gold? Its a nice way to end the day and begin the evening.

As for my own cooking skills, I know how to do the food I like. And my mother taught me thru example at other peoples' parties, be willing to offer to help with the cleanup, don't just retire quick to the couch.
 tgif111
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/19/2015 9:06:30 PM
KJ msg 22:

Coming from someone who does know how to change a tire, oil and brake pads......I will happily cook! :)

the more I read your posts the more appealing moving to Florida becomes especially if there are women like YOU there!
 _shakti_
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/19/2015 10:26:23 PM
One of the things I miss most about being in a relationship is having someone to cook with. My one bf in particular and I shared all aspects of cooking and I loved it. Especially being experimental together. I wouldn't care if he 'knew how', unless he just flat out refused to be part of it. That would be a massive turn off, especially after raising three kids and preparing meals alone (while catering to their tastes) for so many years. I'm not interested in being some guy's kitchen slave, it's inconceivable, lol.
 daynadaze
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2015 10:40:04 PM
I didn't read this as couples who share doing things or those who split up things but it all gets done, I am thinking of William H. Macy in the movie Pleasantville, roaming around his house when he gets home and his wife isn't there, whining...Where's my dinner? Where's my dinner? That's annoying as hell. It was funny in the movie, to be around a man like that in real life, ugh.

Many years ago I could do all that stuff to a car, I can't now. Tires went flat a lot when I was a kid, and my first husband is a mechanic, I got in there and helped. I can't cook as well as many women either. LOL I wouldn't dump a guy because he doesn't like to cook or isn't good at it, but I would not be involved with a whiner who acts like women are for cooking. Another thing that means someone is not for you, I'm sure many women love cooking for their man, every time.
 Literate_Hiker
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/19/2015 11:15:19 PM
Shakti:
One of the things I miss most about being in a relationship is having someone to cook with.

I'm with you. Cooking together is fun. I enjoy giving each other tastes, and feeding each other vegetables as we chop them up. Extra hands make the job go faster.

When my daughter was little, she wanted to be involved in everything I did. So I put a clean beach towel on the kitchen floor, with an oiled cutting board on top. Kneeling, I kneaded four loaves of bread, letting my crawling baby poke and taste to her heart's content. I figured the dough would eventually be sterilized anyway, in a 350-degree oven.

When Claire was three, I divided a loaf's worth of bread dough into 12 smooth balls. Handing Claire a greased muffin pan, I showed her simple shapes for rolls. No matter how goofy they looked, hot out of the oven and brushed with butter, the rolls were delicious. Claire was proud: "I made the rolls for dinner!"

Cooking together is fun.
 petula1908
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/19/2015 11:32:06 PM
Some women dont like anyone else in their kitchen and not everyone has the space to have others cooking with them. So it depends.
For me if a guy cooks a meal, then I clear away and wash up and vice versa.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/19/2015 11:43:28 PM

I wouldn't expect a woman to be able to fix her car, for only one reason- They don't have the strength to loosen impact wrench tightened lug nuts, budge rusted bolts, and their hands look terrible with scabs on them from having busted knuckles.

I hate when the shit fuses, once I tried to get a bolt that had fused on so I couldn't get the spare out of the trunk after I got a flat. All I had was a suicide jack, I busted my knuckle so bad. Warped the jack, it was all bad. I remember just thinking at the time that I wish I had been under the car lol.

So yeah that's why we don't have to cook.
 Michael_1971
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/20/2015 12:38:56 AM

so I guess all you women know how to fix a leak in your faucet or put in a new electrical outlet like I do?

Err, a leaky washer? Once every 5-10 years?
New power point? Once every blue moon?
Mealtimes? 21 a week on average?

Possibly performing two basic tasks in 10 years that a 12 year old with a bit of aptitude and the ability to use google could manage means you shouldn't have to cook?
 ozsealady1
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/20/2015 1:08:03 AM
Hi Literate and others.

I think there will be more generations of both men and women who cannot cook or feed themselves.

Whilst I have no children, I do have nieces and nephews from extended family.
Some of whom have come to Australia for a gap year.

To date... NONE of these 178-22 year old young adults have ever prepared a meal for themselves.
They had never changed sheets, used a washing machine, sewn on a button, used an iron, mowed a lawn or done what I consider normal domestic duties.

I am aghast.

Now, as I am NOT their mother, they learned fast.

I had a male friend from Uni, when I was about 20, who was 'homeless' for a while so was living in my loungeroom.
First night, I cooked dinner.
Second night, I informed him it was his turn.
He also had never prepared a meal for himself.
Again he learned very fast.

This is not a new situation.

I would treat any man I dated who could not cook, or wash, or iron the same way.
 i8pineapple
Msg: 64
Posted: 1/20/2015 2:33:57 AM
Pies are pretty easy too cook, and they're jam-packed full of whatever it is they put in pies. They go pretty well with beer.
 kj521
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/20/2015 2:36:54 AM
Tgif......

Thank you. While there none exactly like me.....I am sure you will find many that meet your qualifications. :)

Purplerider......

"I wouldn't expect a woman to be able to fix her car, for only one reason- They don't have the strength to loosen impact wrench tightened lug nuts, budge rusted bolts, and their hands look terrible with scabs on them from having busted knuckles."

Which is why....I am sure my neighbors thought it was a hoot when they saw standing and bouncing up and down on the lug wrench when changing the brake pads. I have found that sometimes creative approaches can work with the skills, abilities, and talents you possess and help compensate for the ones you don't. :)
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/20/2015 3:24:37 AM

Purplerider......
"I wouldn't expect a woman to be able to fix her car, for only one reason- They don't have the strength to loosen impact wrench tightened lug nuts, budge rusted bolts, and their hands look terrible with scabs on them from having busted knuckles."

Posted By:kj521
Which is why....I am sure my neighbors thought it was a hoot when they saw standing and bouncing up and down on the lug wrench when changing the brake pads. I have found that sometimes creative approaches can work with the skills, abilities, and talents you possess and help compensate for the ones you don't. :)

Which is why, when my Daughter was going on a 900 mile round trip, from here to Pasadena & back. I gave her a 18" 4 way cross wrench & taught her how to use it to change a flat tire. I didn't want her stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Leverage is your friend.... I've used a manual lug wrench on Big Rig Lugs tightened to 650-700 ft lbs of torque. 200+ lbs jumping on a 3'+ bar multiplies the the force being applied to the socket wrench. Also wetting a rusty bolt with a good penetrating oil like Kroil does wonders........
 i8pineapple
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/20/2015 4:08:33 AM
Brake fluid works a treat on rusted nuts.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:07:59 AM

I'm not interested in being some guy's kitchen slave, it's inconceivable,

And yet in some of the best restaurants the majority of chefs are male......go figure...^^^^

And in learning.... we all have our strengths & weakness, whether your single or in a relationship......
And when the balance goes out of kilter ....so goes the relationship too.... as many have expressed here...we all know how that scenario plays out....don't we....

And how do you change that the OP asks ? Or is it something else that is missing in her life besides cooking ?
she needs a hug ....^^^^^

And as for cooking.....my mother was a excellent cook, all from scratch & watched in amazement at times. My Dad never cooked.
As for me , it took many,many years of trial & error in the kitchen to cook decent.....& n0w am very good at it.
As I cook & eat to live.... & try to do many other things with the same amount of passion.

I find my other mentors are Jacque Pipan , Judith Childs. And some of the other shows on the Food channel as well. For creativity & inspiration & most of all.... "food for thought." cheers

PS, and I know how to change a dirty diaper & a flat tire as well...^^^^
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:52:03 AM

Inability to cook is a deal breaker for me. I’m not willing to be a kitchen slave.

Literate Hiker, finally something I don't agree with you.

But perhaps its has to do with generation. Ninety percent of the women I dated all my life did not cook. They would burn water, so cooking was never a big deal because I could cook better than most restaurants. Also I am a foody so I like to explore all the time and eat exotic foods. So if they did not cook good, they at least had to be interested in weird food. Interestingly enough, the woman that I was married for 20 years never cooked. About a year after our divorce, she started calling me asking how do you make your ribs, or the South American Steak, or my Paella, or my tropical chicken.

The woman I am now with, she happens to be as weird as I am about food. She would suddenly crave Pho or a cuban sandwich, or a Lebanese salad and she will either make it herself to perfection, or find the place that does.

Now, the reason I say it may be generational is because you move a few years up the spectrum and all the women cooked and all the guys were useless in the kitchen. Yet my generation and most of the guys I know my age can defend themselves on a grille and are fairly good in the kitchen.
 gcdeb
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:57:55 AM
I recently replaced the headlight lamps in my car, and even more recently, a coil pack. The headlights were harder to do than the coil pack. I made sure to show my 22yo son how it was done. My 18yo daughter was with me when the car broke down and she made sure to take note of what the roadside service guy told us needed to be done. She *wants* to know how to do basic maintenance on her car. I love learning how to do the basic stuff as well.

As for cooking.. there is no way EVER that I would be in a relationship with a man who didn't do an equal share of any of the domestic duties and that includes meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking. I would also not be with someone who thought his jobs were the 'outside' jobs and mine were the 'inside' jobs. The flip side of that is that I would also not *expect* the man to mow the lawns. All of these are household chores that should be shared in whatever way BOTH partners are happy with.

It's not good enough that he can afford to pay for dinners out instead of having to cook. That still means that every single time we dine at home, it's on me.

I don't love to cook. Can cook, yes. Adequately, yes. Enjoy it, not particularly. It's a daily task I would avoid if I could.
 hotdogshop100
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/20/2015 7:33:32 AM
I don't even want to know any adult male or female who doesn't know how to cook at all. Everyone should know how to make a speghetti/Mac and cheese dish.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/20/2015 7:37:51 AM

CTRLvector I can only cook if I have a recipe, then its as simple as measuring correctly and not being a moron. Then again if I was given a basket full of ingredients, I might be able to make scrambled eggs. haha

IME good cooks don't really follow a recipe, they improvise quite a bit. Those that always follow a recipe exactly aren't really great at cooking, but it will certainly be consistently OK.

_shakti_ One of the things I miss most about being in a relationship is having someone to cook with. My one bf in particular and I shared all aspects of cooking and I loved it.

That really speaks to me. (Though I most enjoy waking up sleeping together on a cold Chicago morning.).

I do enjoy cooking with my wife, it's not a huge kitchen but we synchronize well together, so it's kind of like dancing around each other.

And my wife doesn't mind doing all the tasks I don't like. For instance, cleanup, dishes, peeling, julienning. For some reason, she enjoys carving ham with an electice knife, carving being more traditially male.

purplerider1200 They don't have the strength to loosen impact wrench tightened lug nuts, budge rusted bolts, and their hands look terrible with scabs on them from having busted knuckles.

It is dirty work, and I have this theory I have to donate a little blood to the car gods to get the job done. It can be rough on your hands.

Rusted nuts and bolts, I really hate working on exhaust systems.

Everything is rusted on an old exhaust systems, it's a really killer for nuts and bolts. No amount of leverage will work, you need a torch and cutoff tool. Metal bolts are no match for an acetylene torch, it's like they are made of butter. But you can't always use a torch, thus the cutoff tool is also important.

Strength isn't a large factor with those tools. While I hate it, the catalytic converter cost me $140 and down to $90 with a $50 rebate, the garage would charge $400-$500 and likely even more as they would want to replace more parts. I don't want to put a lot of money into a 1996 Nissan.

The good news is I passed my 2014 emissions test, 2016 is the next one. I plan to get rid of it before Dec 2016. (Besides, while it doesn't bother me to drive an old looking car, my wife hates it.)

InnerGorilla She would suddenly crave Pho or a cuban sandwich, or a Lebanese salad and she will either make it herself to perfection, or find the place that does.

I really love Pho, but have never prepared it, it seemed like a long process to get the broth right. And it's fairly cheap at the local Vietnamese eatery in Chicago area.

I have a general rule about eating out.

I only order dishes I find difficult to make at home. Gyros, Pho, good pizzas, exotic sorts of food, but seldom a steak since it's easy to make. Chile con queso with margaritas is another fav of mine to order out. Not that hard to make, but I enjoy the experience with a group.

I do have a hard time losing weight.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/20/2015 7:51:13 AM

Everyone should know how to make a speghetti/Mac and cheese dish.

Mack and cheese!!! Mack and cheese! Hotdog, that is the very reason why I leaned how to cook. I could not stand mac and cheese and that was the only thing that my roommates in college knew how to make. Of course in college the other dish that everyone made was Ramen noodles. I had to revel against those two with a vengeance. LOL.
 basilisk123
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2015 8:00:00 AM
Had to learn to cook different dishes because my family only cooked hamburger helper. I will always hate that stuff! It is super gross, I am not even sure it counts as food...more like weather sealent. I can only make simple dishes, but it is enough. The only reason I eat out so much is because I hate washing dishes.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/20/2015 8:08:56 AM

I'm with you. Cooking together is fun. I enjoy giving each other tastes, and feeding each other vegetables as we chop them up. Extra hands make the job go faster.

That's warm & fuzzy and all, but how much of your angst is based on them Not being so ga-ga as you are on that concept, VS them Saying NO to you asking to work with them in the kitchen with an explanation as to why they should? I think if there's any angst one would have, it would have to be you Asking & selling them on the idea, and them still saying No -- all while he's not going to do anything else to make up for it (do the dishes afterward, etc). I think for angst to be legitimately had -- you'd have to try and sell them on idea, not just suggest/ask them either. They may think it's not That big a deal to ya.

I personally am not a "foodie" or get spirit-fingers & warm-fuzzies "being in the kitchen with a lady" cooking. Now, if a lady I liked really Wanted me to be in the kitchen to roll with her on it, and she wanted to show/guide me as to what she was laying out -- Sure. Especially if we were the Only ones there. If a lady takes cooking as seriously as a karaoke player with aspiring dreams to be a "stah" -- by default, I'm not really going to want to horn in. She's going to have to be convincing that she's wanting to work with me on it. And if she's hardcore on it, I can understand that I may slow her down on Some stuff ("Honestly?! You have to ask me how I want the lemon sliced and you're asking me if you're doing it right?!").

I can understand you more desiring a guy who isn't awkward in the kitchen in comparison to someone who takes the kitchen hardcore. Sure. I would hope that a guy who is, by itself, isn't a reason for Angst -- as that'd be a weird deal-breaker. Him having some odd-principled stance Never to contribute in the kitchen? Okay, that's weird -- and a legit deal-breaker.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Men Who Never Learned to Cook